Eirlys: Revival

Eirlys

I am continuing with my agile self-improvement processes, rather than setting up-front several so-called SMART goals - a system which I think has quite a few weaknesses!

The term "agile" is borrowed from software engineering, rather than the exercise idea.  I am definitely not physically flexible - but we will work on that...

My current status is as follows:

STOP:

• looking at newspapers' websites - CHARISMA - HABIT
  • making strangers' problems my own (particularly, trying to give advice) - CHARISMA - HABIT
  • crossing my legs/hooking one leg over the other - POSTURE - HABIT
  • buying sweets and chocolate - PHYSICAL WELLBEING - HABIT

START:

• doing one gluteus medius strength rep per day - POSTURE - HABIT
  • keeping fresh water in fridge - PHYSICAL WELLBEING - HABIT
  • find & watch youtube video on progressive muscle relaxation by Wednesday 13th - PHYSICAL WELLBEING - TASK

KEEP:

• clearing down to-do list - MAKING SPACE - TASK
  • catching up on sleep - RECHARGE - HABIT
  • noticing tension in shoulders and try to relax them - POSTURE - HABIT
  • correcting posture when pushing pushchair out & about - POSTURE - HABIT
  • correcting posture when doing the washing up - POSTURE - HABIT

I have plenty more things lined up on my backlog but I think this is more than enough for now!  

I have been & continue to check off several Q2 (important but not urgent) tasks for my overall wellbeing/maintenance.  I am hopeful to start a tai chi, qi-gong and meditation course this week but am waiting to hear back from the instructor.

My pillars continue to be: Charisma, Posture, Physical Wellbeing, Recharge & Making Space (previously Decluttering).

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Hi

Really like the structure you have. And I do like the Kaizen method. It works for me on a large scale, but not so much on a smaller scale where I need a set goal.

Following along!

• Like 1

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

I really like your setup of stop-start-keep as well as your pillars; it seems like a good way to keep yourself mentally organized and focused.  

15 hours ago, Eirlys said:

making strangers' problems my own (particularly, trying to give advice)

^ Yes, yes to stopping this.  I am working on that, too.  Even friends' or family members' problems.  

Great goals - good luck with the challenge!  

• Like 1

Moon Bee // Druid // Level 4

Challenges // DBL 1  2  3  4

5: Bee is Everything

On 7/13/2016 at 0:49 AM, Kvedulf said:

Hi

Really like the structure you have. And I do like the Kaizen method. It works for me on a large scale, but not so much on a smaller scale where I need a set goal.

Following along!

Thanks Kvedulf!  I am working on coming up with a system to translate some types of goals into ones that you can measure and apply in either the SMART or agile context.

One of my issues is that posture is a continuous thing that you are unlikely to keep in your brain 100% of the time, versus goals like "go to gym 3 x a week".

On 7/13/2016 at 4:00 PM, Bee said:

I really like your setup of stop-start-keep as well as your pillars; it seems like a good way to keep yourself mentally organized and focused.  

^ Yes, yes to stopping this.  I am working on that, too.  Even friends' or family members' problems.  

Great goals - good luck with the challenge!  

Thanks Bee!  So far I am failing most badly at the "stop jumping in on other peoples' business" goal, so I think some mental investigations are in order (on my part) to understand why I feel compelled to offer advice (even when I know it will probably be ignored)!

On 7/14/2016 at 4:07 AM, SnowOwl said:

I like making space so much better! (and am stealing it) :)

Hehe thanks & go for it!  For some reason Mrs Trump and Mrs Obama are making news over the ocean on plagiarism (not that I have clicked on that story, only seen headlines!).  At the end of the day, if an idea works, why not use it to your advantage :) 

On 7/15/2016 at 6:27 AM, Primeval said:

Looks awesome! Good luck on your goals!

Thanks Primeval!

On 7/15/2016 at 11:23 AM, KiwiChick said:

Some really great habit changes there - I uncrossed my legs upon reading that one.

Looking forward to hear how the meditation course goes.

So far I have found that meditation does not mean you sit down.  This is probably a good thing but it came as a bit of a surprise :) 

*uncrosses legs again*

• Like 2

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Facebook

On 7/13/2016 at 0:05 AM, Eirlys said:

STOP:

• looking at newspapers' websites - CHARISMA - HABIT - managing this, just! but making up for it by going to other news sites/websites a little bit more
  • making strangers' problems my own (particularly, trying to give advice) - CHARISMA - HABIT - currently failing, will address below
  • crossing my legs/hooking one leg over the other - POSTURE - HABIT - successful ~ 75% time, evenings/stress cause things to fall apart
  • buying sweets and chocolate - PHYSICAL WELLBEING - HABIT - doing this but has had disastrous effect with me binge-eating because I am craving sweet stuff and not getting it; have started eating vegan yoghurt & ice cream in sizeable quantities

START:

• doing one gluteus medius strength rep per day - POSTURE - HABIT - doing except one night where I forgot
  • keeping fresh water in fridge - PHYSICAL WELLBEING - HABIT - doing
  • find & watch youtube video on progressive muscle relaxation by Wednesday 13th - PHYSICAL WELLBEING - TASK - completed

KEEP:

• clearing down to-do list - MAKING SPACE - TASK - doing, but not as fast as I would like!
  • catching up on sleep - RECHARGE - HABIT - this is getting worse, will address below
  • noticing tension in shoulders and try to relax them - POSTURE - HABIT - doing
  • correcting posture when pushing pushchair out & about - POSTURE - HABIT - doing
  • correcting posture when doing the washing up - POSTURE - HABIT - doing

Making Strangers' Problems My Own:

1) do NOT click on threads with interesting-sounding titles such as "I need to vent", "Really struggling with this at the moment" etc (on a different forum)

2) work out why I feel compelled to chip in with my own advice

Sleep:

1) Do not read in the evenings 

2) No TV in the evenings

3) Get daily housework out of the way as soon as possible in the evening

• Like 3

-- Facebook

Naughty (late) update:

This evening is the first time I've felt my body 'notice' poor posture and flag it to me/my system to correct.  

Previously I've had to use my mind to check up on things.  

I see this as massive progress!!! Hopefully starting to build some muscle memory of a better posture.

• Like 2

-- Facebook

23 hours ago, Eirlys said:

Naughty (late) update:

This evening is the first time I've felt my body 'notice' poor posture and flag it to me/my system to correct.  

Previously I've had to use my mind to check up on things.  

I see this as massive progress!!! Hopefully starting to build some muscle memory of a better posture.

That is a huge WOOHOO moment I think! Like @Ferngirl said, it's easy to relapse, but if your body is noticing these things that's a huge step in the right direction.

• Like 2

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

Hi Eirlys. How's things going?

• Like 1

-Miyamoto Musashi

Hi guys

Thanks for checking in, sorry for my absence!  Part of it was due to reading a book about Essentialism (that may be the name of the book) which advises you focus on only core thing(s) so I was trying that out.  Plus there was so much to do & I always feel overwhelmed!  I'll aim to catch up properly with everyone on Sunday :)

I'm on the final decluttering stage however - am really hopeful that by the end of next week, the place will be finally acceptable throughout! (fingers crossed before that)  Heck it's only taken me 8 MONTHS to get this far: was it worth so much of my life to umm & err over "is this cheap item worth keeping?"  not sure!

My standing desk should be arriving in a few days too :)

• Like 1

-- Facebook

Sounds like things went most praiseworthy (I'm currently using a random thesaurus to find new words for awesome. You get what you're given, :P even if it doesn't make complete sense)

Decluttering is such a big job. Hopefully you do find that it was worth it. I know that we do, although it didn't take us eight months! 

Can't wait to hear the full catch up. 

• Like 2

-Miyamoto Musashi

On 7/21/2016 at 6:30 AM, Ferngirl said:

Good luck on your posture.  I have been very slowly improving mine over the past few years. 

It's easy to relapse. 

But it's so satisfying to find that you naturally sit up straighter, and your neck doesn't hang forward. 

Hi Ferngirl, I meant to ask this ages ago!  What have you been doing over time to help improve your posture?  I find it such a difficult challenge :)

-- Facebook

On 8/12/2016 at 2:26 PM, Eirlys said:

Heck it's only taken me 8 MONTHS to get this far: was it worth so much of my life to umm & err over "is this cheap item worth keeping?"  not sure!

I am FINALLY learning how to do this.  It feels so get to get rid of things I know I just don't need/use/want.  I've gotten rid of more this past year than I have in a long time, and it seems to keep getting easier.  It also helps me be more mindful of what I buy -- sticking to things that are either a necessity or I'll likely use often. :) 

• Like 1

Moon Bee // Druid // Level 4

Challenges // DBL 1  2  3  4

5: Bee is Everything

One thing that's helped with my posture is that I spend some time every night before bed just sitting up with good posture.  And keeping it that way. 

I focus on my shoulders and neck, ex.  And this also helps me get relaxed to get to sleep easier. 

My Mom is also a yoga teacher, so she's given me suggestions on how to place my shoulders and spine.