The Assassins' Den

Hazard

On 7/13/2016 at 8:53 PM, karinajean said:

ummmm I have never been super into pokemon (just kind of missed it when it was first popular) but it turns out that I am super competitive about collecting things (which MIGHT explain my spoon collection*) and you know it is REALLY KIND OF SUPER FUN. my husband and I just did a ~3ish mile walk around our village collecting pokestops and it was a REALLY LOVELY way to end the day.

* spoon collections are so super old fashioned, it's seriously something my gramma started me on. like this one (this is not mine, mine is in a drawer, not proudly displayed):

spoons.jpg?w=584&h=625

My grandma had a spoon collection in a case like this, and now I have it. I haven't been great at collecting, but I think it's a cool idea!

And also YAY pokemon go! I've been having fun with it, and it encourages me to walk! Except since I'm anti-social I just smile to myself at all the other people I see playing, and then pretend I'm not actually playing when they're around...

• Like 3

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

Big huge yay for my Tapatalk app finally getting its update and quitting with the stupid auto-unsubscribe thing on the forums! For those of you that had issues previously, check it out I think they may have fixed it now. =)

Meanwhile

scooter.gif

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

• Like 6

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Ugh I hope mine has the update because that's been incredibly frustrating. 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Ugh I hope mine has the update because that's been incredibly frustrating. 

Well dang. Logged on just now to find my subscription list is still not showing all my subscribed threads right, but when I click on ones that are missing it shows me as still being subscribed. It really is frustrating! I cant set the forums to night mode on a browser... I read a lot at night so use the black background/white text setting...

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

1 minute ago, Hazard said:

I am so fucking pissed right now.   We just drove 2 hours to Atlanta for our kid's doc appointment at choa.  We get here, and the asshats tell us they changed the appointement date, and nobody fucking bothered to call to notify us of this in advance.  Now we get to turn around and make the 2 hour drive back home.  4 fucking hours of drivng and all they can muster up is a "we're sorry nobody informed you."  Oh, really?  You're sorry?  Really sorry?  Like, willing to take real responsiblity for your fuckup and compensate us for the gas, mileage wear on the car, and time we wasted coming here today?  No?  Then you aren't sorry.

tumblr_m2hllpxrNF1r9pade.gif

• Like 6

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

On 7/15/2016 at 1:08 AM, Darth Yoga said:

I think this is why I never get past the beginner level on the Darebee workouts.  I do 3 sets and just can't convince myself to do the same series over again.  I like to do two different Darebee workouts at the same time, 2 rounds of one then switch and do 2 rounds of another.  

Hazard has asked we move this conversation to the Assassin's Den, instead of the mini challenge thread (sorry!) and I wanted to reply to @Lightning

especially since we were talking about MovNat also. (And because I am shamelessly procrastinating my next task, which is going outside to kill hornets. :o )

MovNat uses the framework of "Volume, Intensity, Complexity" to describe progressions. How do you make a thing harder? You can increase volume by doing more sets, and/or more reps per set, or more frequent workouts. You can increase intensity by doing it faster, super slow, higher, further, with less momentum, with less rest, and/or with more weight. This is pretty standard. (With bodyweight exercises we also modify with changing leverage, grip, base of support, and our orientation relative to gravity.) Where MovNat differs is from most methods is the way they approach "complexity". You can increase complexity of your movement by using a more challenging method or stricter form, and you can increase complexity of your environment by using something irregular, less stable, uneven, unpredictable, more/less friction, smaller/larger, or just novel. (Lifting a 75lb barbell is easier than lifting a 75lb sandbag, which is easier than lifting a 75lb dog or 75lb piece of furniture. Walking on a 4" wood beam is easier than walking on a 10" smooth pipe. Sticking a landing on wet grass or gravel is harder than on pavement.) And the reverse goes for making it easier. 

So MovNat tends to start with fairly easy movements (generally easier than what you'd find in typical fitness context) then introduce some environmental complexity until you are comfortable doing it in random found environments, both natural and manmade. (A lot of MovNat is just the practical side of parkour, with the danger-level dialed way back.) I really like that, because it naturally encourages me to apply this to how I move day to day, as I frequently wind up maneuvering heavy/awkward things around on precarious footing, scrabbling around on the ground, etc.

Anyway, I bring this up because I'd mentioned how I really want to like Darebee, because the site is awesome, and the people seem awesome, but I find the workouts demoralizingly tedious. The main reason is that their answer to "How do we make this harder?" seems mostly to be MORE VOLUME! Faster! MORE VOLUME! Less rest! EVEN MORE VOLUME! The movements themselves are generally very simple (because they want to reduce the learning curve as much as possible) and the environmental complexity is almost none (because they want anyone to be able to do this anywhere). That is awesome if your primary goal is "get fit"/"burn calories" but I need something where I find the skill itself rewarding to master. I've had periods in the past when I was super fired up just for "getting fit" as a goal, but now is not one of those times.

• Like 8

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #20: The Weasel goes on an Adventure!

Ah, I'm glad this was explained so well. I was reading thru on the other thread so much "ugh, Darebee" and I was all "but but but..." because thats kinda where I started. I think it has it's place (getting closet geeks to do *any* movement in the name of geekery, burning calories and such). For some it really works, but we assassins  tend to crave a little something extra that those workouts generally don't provide. 

I know that now, a little over a year into my fitness journey here on NF, I periodically browse the Darebee workouts and I can't find anything that fits what I want to do. I am firmly in the camp of needing to design my own routines based on how I feel and progress! It's kindof a cool feeling :)

I definitely like how you say MovNat increasea complexity. I'd like to try that out too, now that it's been mentioned :)

• Like 4

Oh also- I'm usually in the 'yay circuits' camp because less downtime. Resting certain muscles while I keep going using other muscles (My current go-to routine alternates upper and lower body so I'm not a complete noodle until the end, and I feel like I can cram more varied movements into a shorter amount of time). Lately I've been doing 'micro-circuits' within my workout- Like yesterday I started with all of my PT to warm up, then all of my core, then alternate a couple variations of squats for a couple sets, then alternated a couple variations of hip thrusts for a couple sets. Still on the hunt for the elusive 'perfect' workout ;)

On 22.7.2016 at 8:08 PM, Darth Yoga said:

The main reason is that their answer to "How do we make this harder?" seems mostly to be MORE VOLUME! Faster! MORE VOLUME! Less rest! EVEN MORE VOLUME!

That's excactly how I feel and why I stopped using darebee that much. It just got frustrating...

• Like 2

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Not sure how many people on here are part of NFA, but the update for the changes to the quests has started.  The joys of a slow day at work, never ending refreshes as you watch the clock count down.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Myrik said:

Not sure how many people on here are part of NFA, but the update for the changes to the quests has started.  The joys of a slow day at work, never ending refreshes as you watch the clock count down.

Looks like the update is finished. Lots of new quests to dig through.

• Like 1

Very old battle log
Previous Challenges: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Previous Mini Challenges: 2, 1

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

Wondered when this would happen!

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I just started this one.  Because n00b. :lol:

My soreness from my NF Beginner Bodyweight circuit from three days ago is finally noticeably decreasing.  Here's to working smarter, not harder.

• Like 6

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature