Alexandrite - More Real Life Stardew

In case you don't know - I'm a mother of three children under 5, married to "Dr. Focker," and I like to get up to some crazy random homesteading, crafting, curiosities, and other fun things among adulting and life.

NF is what keeps me on track, it reminds me that what I do I WANT to do, no one else is making me do this. Let's go!

tumblr_o52aqu3BLG1ttph68o1_500.gif

Last challenge I did a Stardew Valley theme, and all my rewards were minutes I was allowed to play the game. It is a pleasant slice-of-life farming simulation game, like Harvest Moon if you are a gamer but so much better. Anyway! It was such a great motivator and helped me get a lot done while still staying sane and enjoying myself that I am using it again this challenge. I have to tweak some of the gaming time though because this challenge a LOT more real life stardew is being added to my plate.

More to come later.

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

• Like 6

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

*sigh*

I have started and restarted and rewrote this post at least 5 or 6 times now over the past week. Each time was different, had a different mood or focus. And each time I decided to wait or delete the post because they were all so emotionally charged. I am not happy where I am at right now but I am reminded by the wonderful Dr. Focker that I just had a baby and three months is not a "long time" or enough time to expect recovery.

Each postpartum experience has been different for me. This one is definitely one of the tougher. I am the heaviest I have ever been in my short life so far, in both natural weight and body composition. I am experiencing aches and pains because of this. And yet the horrible "hall pass" type attitude prevails to fill in the holes that sleep deprivation have created.

Anyway, I am falling asleep again. So here are some solid goals for this challenge that I want to flesh out later.

Physical - squats,walking, and yoga time (I found my old DVD)

Adulting - Getting ready for our exchange student's arrival in two weeks, getting ready for our huge road trip to south CA in 4 weeks. Other...

Scheduling Habits (myself a d family) - creating and maintaining a schedule to build some healthy habits for cleaning eating, and bathing especially.

Any of these categories can earn 5 minutes of gameplay for each instance of effort spent on them. Physical activities earn more if I complete them all in one days.

More about the bonuses coming soon.

• Like 7

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Typing challenges while emotionally off-balance is frustrating. And I'd like to second your excellent husband's advice that three months is not a long time. It might feel like it in your head, but looking back on it after 20 years, you'll realize you were doing fine all along. /hugs and support and "you can do it rah rah rah!"

• Like 4

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Following along this Stardew ride!

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Well dang. Wrote a post, got deleted.

Habitica account started thanks to Breadsticks.

Main goals daily:

Baby squats (10×3 2/day)

Meals made (×3)

Clean 1 room

Floss

Bible time

WaniKani (Japanese SRS app)

Sat I forgot to do anything due to guests and such. Sun I totally rocked it. Also took time to transfer over my to do list. Dr. Focker and I got tons of talking and meeting and financial stuff conquered this weekend. I am ready to attack Monday!

And my rewards are set to 5 min of Stardew game time for 15 gold. So I can keep track! I did play yesterday, but I count it as an indulgent moment unrelated to the challenge. Freibird baby kept me up for an hour and a half of play at 2am on Sun, wide awake and giggling. I fell asleep in church I was so exhausted, haha.

P.S. I did squats! Twice in one day! Breaking that fail month finally!

• Like 7

sending you lots of hugs. I'm glad that you're still here challenging with us, because I find that when I am rocked with emotion having this steady support system is so helpful. hope we are able to provide that to you! <3

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Yes, absolutely! You guys are the reason I am still here checking in. I don't get the same "woot!" reaction from nearby adults when I conquer something like squats or dirty dishes. In fact I was trying to celebrate with Dr. Focker about the squats and he was all yeah, okay. I think he was just preoccupied with something but it made me feel a bit sad. I know I can come to NF and our challenge goals are super important in that 4 week cycle, so we can help each other celebrate those victories, however small.

Anyway! Another beautiful day. I am on my way to day 2 of completing all my dailies on Habitica! Also knocked off some things on the to-do list portion (calls, work on a website for someone new, bills) and gained some exp on the habit building list. I also got dinged some HP for spending more than 5 min on FB at one point today, haha. Got to be honest! I did refrain from pigging out on crazy junk/candy stuff today.

The biggest deal today? I totally baked a cherry pie from scratch AND made a ham pot pie from scratch. And they were delicious and beautiful. And my father in law actually complimented me on the cherry pie, which is a HUGE deal in my husband's family (early on in the marriage Dr. Focker's father once told Dr. Focker's mother that her pies werent as good as his mother's, so Dr. Focker's mother never baked one again, ever!).

It was a highlight of the night. Dirty dishes covered the kitchen when people came over, the house was a mess, and Little O clogged up the guest toilet. But home cooked food was made!

05fc4d6d1c0e03e329cfed12faf88962.jpg

• Like 7

I like this autocorrect. Congrats on finishing your dailies! [emoji3]

Cool tip: You can use the Official User Data Display Tool (OUDDT) to track your progress by date, and there's a graph to track your habit trends. 

Hah! What an autocorrect indeed. Thanks for the tips, will have to check it out. I think Im missing out on some good features just using the app, will have to take a peek on PC soonI

• Like 1

I so hear ya on the recovery and not wanting to be where you are and dealing with all sorts of aches and pains that you don't remember dealing with last time. We're just past month four and I'm *only now* starting to feel like a human being again. With all of the aches I've been dealing with from that dumb relaxin hormone and carrying around a squirmy baby while trying to be emotionally strong - but then emotions happen... ugh. I'm also at my heaviest, so I get that feeling too. Everyone kept telling me that the weight would just "melt off" after he was here because I was breastfeeding. That it didn't was a huge disappointment... I lost some weight after baby was born, but then gained some of it back and I've been hovering right in between the two (pre-delivery/post-delivery) until this week. I am not focused at all on my eating habits and instead am just focused on getting moving, so I'm not too surprised at the lack of weight, but seeing the numbers starting to slowly go down helps me feel a little better.

I guess, all of this is to say: You got this. Things will improve and you will start feeling better. And I'm not just saying platitudes to you, I *know* that you can keep moving forward. :) :love_heart:

• Like 2

Assassin

**Challenges**

Current Challenge: Black Daiquiri is Wonder Woman

Battle Log: Black Daiquiri battles the pink robots

Previous: 1514 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 76 | 5 | 4 | 321

Following along though late :). I'm at 5 months here and I can totally understand where you are (though this is my first here). And same with black_daquiri. Just so many bodily chemicals causing everything to go a bit crazy. I'm finally feeling mostly normal here so at least know it's coming soon. Hell month 4 marked feeling more like a person as black_daquiri said. I nearly cried reading all of this, yay hormones lol, but it just really hits home between the two of you I've followed since I joined back up right after having the baby. But we are warrior women. And no matter the hurt that comes with the beautiful joy of our amazing little "players" entering this world we can absolutely conquer it. Having each other along for the ride is an added bonus to help I think. Now if only I could melt some of the LBs off as well. Same as Black_Daquiri that breastfeeding shed it then gained some back to hover between pre and post baby weight. Ah just all of it. Still tired and feeling a bit rough but overall I'm glad I've gotten to see you two amazing women kicking ass recovering right as I have to go through it too. So ugh yeah. Following. You got this!

• Like 3

Level 2 Lycan Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

Thanks for the support and feels everyone! Definitely going through all the 3mo+ postpartum hormone waves. It's like having a period, but without uterus rebellion... I'll take it! Haha

Tuesday was full of errands and such. Me and the kids got haircuts starting at 8:30am, I even had my eyebrows done! Feel like a new woman. Then we made it to the city park for reading time and some mommy talk with friends I hadnt seen in too long. Lunch with Dr. Focker at the hospital, followed by crashing at home, but no nap for me because Freibird decided he wanted to do all kinds of fun things instead. Rolling! Both ways! Pushups! Whaaaaaaat?! Seriously, someone tell him he's only 3.5mo old, and to slow down.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning the kitchen, keeping the kids from not hurting each other too much (boys and jets and hurting siblings, what is it with that?). I fell into bed exhausted, only to drag myself out and throw down 60 squats because it was the last thing I hadnt done on my dailies list from Habitica. Rawr!

Today was more busy. All 5 of us went to the dentist office starting at 9:30. I forgot to bring the ipad movie, I didnt bring any snacks, and the kids started melting down by an hour in while Dr. Focker was still in the chair. We drove to a local restaurant and got breakfast stuff to go, then brought it back to the dentist office and ate right in their lobby, haha. It all worked out I guess but it was so chaotic. And I have two small contact cavities. =( They are normal for having cavities on the contact surface of the neighboring tooth in the past, but it still makes me sad. I didnt take flossing as seriously as I should have when younger. My few cavities reflect that. As well as not keeping up on calcium supplements while pregnant and breastfeeding.

Anyway, forced everyone down for nap today, I was getting sleep! Made dinner, watched part of Zootopia with everyone, and now I am facing the sweltering heat of upstairs without a/c... I hate it but oh well. Dr. Focker is taking care of the older ones while Freibird sleeps on my chest. ^_^

Solid day, been earning minutes of game time, but just havent had time to spend them! Only one and a half weeks until the exchange student from Japan arrives and we dont have her room cleaned out or bed at all, haha... and our big road trip is coming up next month! Phew. It will all work out. I get a foot massage again tonight, yay!

• Like 8

That sounds like an exhausting day! Yay for some pampering though. :) 

Omg baby cheeks really are the cutest!

• Like 2

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Yay successful days! Just gotta tell yourself that those bad days will pass and days like today and yesterday are proof! And look at that beautiful baby! And slow your roll there little guy! Rook is just about 5.5 months now and I get the feeling she just is skipping rolling over unless it's in her sleep lol. Does other stuff ahead of the game but rolling is just "psh why do I need to roll?!" Anyways, yay for more game time! And foot rubs! Here's to maintaining successful and emotionally happier days!

• Like 1

Level 2 Lycan Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

So wed finished up and I did not get the squats in. I did everything else on my Dailies list though. Flossing, cooking meals/conscious healthy food, WaniKani, clean one room, and read bible/pray. Habitica also has habits, which for me include showering, dishwasher duty, lawn care, taking a real walk, and negative points for FB time over 5 min or eating junk candy/sweets. The negative points actually subtract HP from my character! Im honest with my bad habits. =)

Finally, there is a list of to-do's that I am slowly knocking down. It's nice to always have it with me so I don't forget. And Habitica allows you to create checklists of steps to complete the to do, as well as due date, reminders, and tags. Really liking the ease of using the app so far.

So Thursday rolls around and I remember Steve's "never two in a row" thing, so I busted out squats before bed. I completed all my dailies, plus a crapton of household stuff. Our futon-type bed needed airing and vinegar spot treatment because we haven't been flipping and beating it enough. Moved sprinkler multiple times to try saving our ridiculous amount of grass. Cooked Thai yellow curry with some new paste I bought from Amazon and it was so authentic I was so happy. Bills, desk organizing, calls, cleaned kitchen, went for a walk with kids, said hi to the neighbor. It would have been completely great if I didnt spend most of my time reacting to the two older ones fighting so much over toys, or how big brother loves to pick on little sister in general, or how they are so noisy the baby doesnt get his usual naps unless he is riding safely in my pack and relaxes.

The only thing that really kept me from doing more was the mei tai back carrier got spit up all over it so I had to wash it, and had to use the ergo in front carry instead. Holy macaroni Freibird is way too heavy to be doing that much anymore. My back aches still this morning. Going to hot bath it. Dr. Focker had a serious talk eith me about avoiding injury on my back because it wont ever stop hurting once it gets injured. For life. It scared me, but that was the point. He doesnt want me lifting heavy things yet or doing too much with it being postpartum still so new.

We had a lot of plans to do stuff this week after Dr. Focker got off work each day but he has been wiped out. And on monday we heard some bad health news from our brother in law, and a friend died, that we are doing the best we can to just keep swimming. We have both lost close family members to cancer (my mother and grandmother, his sister) so it absolutely SUCKS when it crops up again, as it inevitably does. I think, being further along the grief timeline, that I am able to tune it out for daily happiness or maybe my personality allows for easier stuffing of emotions. I do feel that sickness at the bottom of my stomach thinking I need to call all my favorite relatives and tell them I love them in case anything bad happens tomorrow. We are never guaranteed it anyway.

I will be adding on a "call people" habit to start up. One person or more a day. =)

Hellooooooo Friday! One more week until we pick up our exchange student!

• Like 6

Woops, Lightning reminded me I need to change my signature when I get to a computer next! Sorry about that!

Soooooooooo tired. I have only had about 3 hours of sleep and its almost 5am...

I pretty much dropped the challenge goals yesterday. We are going to consider yesterday special though. I turned off the data on my phone because we were super low and today was the start of a new billing cycle. Boy did I ever get stuff done. Cleaned entire upstairs and vacuumed too. Finished organizing and cleaning entire office, vacuumed that, then started tackling the guest room with all its storage contents and boxes. Got dishes done, meals cooked, yard watered, etc. I even had the willpower to not play Stardew and finish the kitchen instead. Picked up Anna and the King I found in one of my boxes and hit the bath while Dr. Focker had the kids at the demo derby.

Lets just say I used a ton of energy, willpower, and gumption yesterday. Then I heard from mother in law that they are giving us their queen size bed. Happy!!

Anyway, back to sleeeeeeeeeeep not sure how much I will check in today.

• Like 4

Good crickey, woman! 

On 7/16/2016 at 2:25 AM, Alexandrite said:

Anyway, I am falling asleep again. So here are some solid goals for this challenge that I want to flesh out later.

Adulting - Getting ready for our exchange student's arrival in two weeks, getting ready for our huge road trip to south CA in 4 weeks. Other...

Sounds like you blew this goal away just in one day. Congrats on getting the house sorted! Hope you got some solid sleep and get to relax a bit today.

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Good crickey, woman! 

Sounds like you blew this goal away just in one day. Congrats on getting the house sorted! Hope you got some solid sleep and get to relax a bit today.

Yes, adulting happened in copious amounts this weekend! We even used Sunday to finish up a lot more. This week it is conquer the trailer time! Except it is so freaking hot outside and it sits in the sun...

• Like 2

Week 1 summary!

Habitica tracking is really working for me. It has given me my Daily tasks, my habits I want to encourage or discourage, and my major to do list all in one place. This means I open one app, see everything in a quick browse, and don't get distracted.

Daily activities were completed in 4 out of the 5 days of the week, which includes the ever-difficult-to-complete squats! (Flossing, cleaning one room, wanikani, reading bible, and cooking meals are the others.) This is a huge improvement over previous challenges postpartum. Losing HP in the habitica app when not completed daily is just the little bit of motivation push I needed. I have even gotten strong enough to up the reps on the squats (15×3 twice a day)! I also added financial meeting twice a week with Dr. Focker. We have seen great progress with this. As a side note, weekends are totally wild card days. I will either do so much I forget to keep my dailies up, or spend time relaxing with family and forget. Either way I think I will keep my willpower use in check and only count the work week right now for the challenge. Habitica dailies can be set for certain days, which is nice.

Habits included positive XP gains for dishwasher duty, showering, taking a walk, lawn care, bill stuff, and deep cleaning a room. Two negative ones dropped my HP due to FB time over 5 minutes per session and eating junk or candy. This went really well too and I am honest with my negatives.

To Do list is all my major adulting, and it changed over time, but I set checklists for each one and have to check those off before I can earn the XP for the To Do itself. I earned probably two or three so far. But I havent forgotten anything important!!

One more week until exchange student arrives! And God provided answers to our prayers in huge ways lately - an unexpected check to cover medical expenses from the birth, a new queen bed from inlaws so we wouldn't have to buy one ourselves, and a vacation bible school for Little O so I can get a crapton of stuff done this week.

• Like 5