Briniel Builds Better Habits

July, 15th

work day today, so I mostly stuck to my dailies, finishing the last one at 10pm. But I finished them all!

• move - morning yoga and some stretching and push-ups for the 5 minutes that were missing (5/7 for this week; 6 day streak)
  • learn - practiced for choir on the way to work (5/7; 9)
  • tidy - continued work on chores list (5/7; 6)
  • 1x veggies - potato casserole (5/7; 47)
  • 2x veggies - scrambled eggs with tomatoes and mushrooms (5/7; 9)
  • hydrate, 2l+ (5/7; 26)
  • play with the cats (5/7; 6)
  • floss (2/3; 7)
  • log food (5/7; 15)
  • log spendings (5/7; 9)

There were some other things from the big list that I did (like a warm meal, and not snacking too much) but I'm too lazy to put them here... I want these updates to be quick, I'd rather set up a proper habit spread in my bujo and use that for tracking all the bonus habits.

If I do all my dailies tomorrow, I can add another one :D I think I'm going to make it an easy one, like enjoying outside or something (which I struggled with before but which has been a breeze since the balcony renovation) and set up a challenge for workouts. I want to get into the habit of doing workouts today but I don't want to necessarily do it daily or at a fixed schedule so I don't want to put it on here. Plus, I'm not sure how consistent I'll be and I don't want to be disappointed for messing up my streak on here everytime I miss a workout ;) Not that I'm planning to miss workouts... a lot. So, I'll figure something out over the weekend :)

• Like 3

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

July 16th-18th

The weekend was busy, so I didn't update. We had the first concert of the season with the choir (the next ones are this wednesday and friday) and I was busy practicing and preparing and learning lyrics by heart. My vocal coach gave me some pointers on saturday for one super high note that I'm supposed to hit in one song that I was really nervous about (the song is Skyfall by Adele in an arrangement from our conductor that has a high c at the end and I'm the only one hitting that). It was really helpful and in concert I hit it right in the sweet spot. No wobbliness, no slurring, I just hit it and held it. It felt so awesome! And when the song was over, my conductor made eye contact and gave me a thumbs-up, so he was happy, too :D I had dinner with my parents after the concert and the place had either pizza or pasta, so I had a pizza parma which was huge and delicious. So. Good.

Anyways, not only high notes, but goals were hit, too, except that I didn't entertain the cats on sunday. But, I had a 7 day streak on all my habits on saturday, so I included the "go outside" goal and gave myself a 15 minute mark to reach on that one, too.

Today was a rather lazy day. It's the birthday of a friend of mine and what started as a quick birthday brunch turned into a rather long breake (that's breakfast and cake) on her balcony and ended in ice cream, playing Pokemon GO on a friend's tablet and a pretty bad sunburn. I had a really good time :) Then I made some food so I won't starve at work tomorrow and replied to that place where I'm supposed to start next month (update: they send me the contract to sign but we had agreed that I'd get to read it and ask questions first, so I wrote them all my questions in an e-mail that I felt was rather blunt and my boyfriend felt was way too nice) and really didn't bother about those habits much... maybe I'll hit some more, maybe I won't. This is where I'm at right now:  I realized when writing down the habits that I'd lose a lot of streaks if I left it the way it was, so I did some more things before calling it a day ;)

• move - morning yoga and biking (1/7 for this week; 9 day streak)
  • learn - I learned some things about Pokemon GO, but nothing that would count here ;) (0/7; 0)
  • tidy - did some tidying from the list (1/7; 9)
  • 1x veggies - tomatoes, mozzarella and guacamole at breake (1/7; 50)
  • 2x veggies - chicken with mushrooms and green onions (1/7; 12)
  • hydrate, 2l+ (1/7; 29)
  • play with the cats (1/7; 1)
  • floss (1/4; 9)
  • log food (1/7; 18)
  • log spendings (1/7; 12)

So, the week started with me just enjoying good weather, good food and good company. Not bad ;)

• Like 5

Sounds like an awesome weekend. Way to go hitting that high C!  That sounds like a really cool arrangement!

I think it's super awesome that your streaks are propelling you forward. I definitely have those days where I'm like, "I could skip this just for today, right?" but I don't want to break that streak!  Whatever works, I guess!

And welcome to the Pokemon Go cult!  We have cookies candy!

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

18 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Sounds like an awesome weekend. Way to go hitting that high C!  That sounds like a really cool arrangement!

I think it's super awesome that your streaks are propelling you forward. I definitely have those days where I'm like, "I could skip this just for today, right?" but I don't want to break that streak!  Whatever works, I guess!

And welcome to the Pokemon Go cult!  We have cookies candy!

Thanks! The arrangement is really great. Someone recorded the concert, if you're interested I can find a way to share it :)

Streaks definitely work. But now that the play-with-cats-streak is broken, I find that I use that as an excuse to not do it: "I don't have a streak there anyway so it's not that bad if I miss it again". Ugh, brain!!

Yaaaay Pokemon GO! I can't play on my current device, the internet is too slow... I need to get a better mobile phone contract.

16 hours ago, zenLara said:

Oh, oh, a clean and shiny high C! Congratulations!

A shiny C, I like that :D Let's hope there'll be another shiny one tonight :)

Yesterday was a work day and I was really not in the mood to do anything after work. But then I realized that habits are built when you don't want to build them. There are days when stuff feels easy, but that's not when the habit is ingrained, that only happens when you do it despite not wanting to do it. So I decided to see my lack of motivation as a chance to grow and learn to do the things regardless.

• move - yoga in the evening. I can touch my forehead to my knees with my legs straight. Yay for yoga streaks! (2/7 for this week; 10 day streak)
  • learn - read for work (1/7; 1)
  • tidy - vacuumed and cleaned the vacuum cleaner. Yes, that took 15 minutes total. I was thorough (2/7; 10)
  • go outside - realized that I can do my learning on the balcony. Win-win! (2/7; 10)
  • 1x veggies - tomatoes, mozzarella and chicken salad for lunch (21/7; 51)
  • 2x veggies - egg salad with pickles and green onion as a snack. And the rest from the salad for dinner. (2/7; 13)
  • hydrate, 2l+ (2/7; 30)
  • play with the cats (1/7; 0) (gotta start building that streak again)
  • floss (1/4; 9)
  • log food (21/7; 19)
  • log spendings (2/7; 13)
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Briniel said:

But then I realized that habits are built when you don't want to build them. There are days when stuff feels easy, but that's not when the habit is ingrained, that only happens when you do it despite not wanting to do it. So I decided to see my lack of motivation as a chance to grow and learn to do the things regardless.

^Wisdom^ :)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Briniel said:

Thanks! The arrangement is really great. Someone recorded the concert, if you're interested I can find a way to share it :)

Yaaasss!  Maybe upload to youtube?

6 hours ago, Briniel said:

Yesterday was a work day and I was really not in the mood to do anything after work. But then I realized that habits are built when you don't want to build them. There are days when stuff feels easy, but that's not when the habit is ingrained, that only happens when you do it despite not wanting to do it. So I decided to see my lack of motivation as a chance to grow and learn to do the things regardless.

g1387489789170928507.jpg

Nice job on your streaks!  Touching your forehead to your knees is impressive!!  And it takes me well over 15 minutes to vacuum, so I'm a little jealous. ;)  

• Like 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

On 20.7.2016 at 4:31 PM, athousandwords said:

Yaaasss!  Maybe upload to youtube?

There'll be an official upload from the choir in the future, I'll share when I get it :)

On 23.7.2016 at 8:23 PM, maegs said:

How're things going? have you played with the cats?

So so... not as much as I would have liked.

I lost most of my streaks last week, except maybe the hydrating and 1x veggies one. Dunno what's wrong. I think I'm dreading next month a bit. I did get the new job, but I'm not as thrilled about it anymore. There was a lot of back and forth and the management doesn't seem as organized as I'd like and they won't negotiate certain aspects of the contract which means I won't be able to continue my current job as is after the trial period... but I decided to sign the contract anyway, despite not having the best feeling about it. The work itself is something that's really interesting and I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I just hope that I'll get along better with the people I'll actually work with. I have 6 months to decide whether it works out. 6 months of working full time for the first time ever. It's a bit intimidating.

Anyways, it's a new week and a new start and I jumped into the new Assassins mini challenge today. My legs hate me now. I did a yoga/leg workout session with a friend of mine yesterday which ended up being an hour or so and lots of fun, but I had DOMS already before starting the workout today ;)

I'll aim for a perfect day today and get all the paperwork done for the new job. Let's see whether I still know how to adult :D

• Like 5

Sounds like the job will be a good learning experience, no matter what.  If you have the freedom and really hate it, you can always quit. But hopefully it ends up being better than you fear - things that look wonky from the outside sometimes just become part of the day to day routine once you're there. As long as the environment isn't hostile or dismissive, and the work is interesting, then hopefully you'll be okay.

Best of luck with week 2 - sounds like you're off to a strong start!

• Like 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

On 25.7.2016 at 5:31 PM, athousandwords said:

Sounds like the job will be a good learning experience, no matter what.  If you have the freedom and really hate it, you can always quit. But hopefully it ends up being better than you fear - things that look wonky from the outside sometimes just become part of the day to day routine once you're there. As long as the environment isn't hostile or dismissive, and the work is interesting, then hopefully you'll be okay.

Best of luck with week 2 - sounds like you're off to a strong start!

That's the plan. See whether I'll like from the inside ;)

Thank you! I'm getting there. I have spurs of motivation every now and then that I try to use. And spans of time where I just want to nap or eat or play games that I try to keep to a minimum by setting a timer for chores or learning instead. Blergh.

• Like 2

How are things going??

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

3 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

How are things going??

Good? Kinda good? I'm hitting most dailies this week. Still worried about how that's going to be like next week when the new position starts (alas, still just 3 days of work since the other place I work at is closed for the summer the next 3 weeks). But, yeah, I'm doing stuff and trying to not get dredged into the interwebs as much. Even did a clicker-training session with the cats yesterday. And I've been doing a lot of duolingo on my way to and from work (as you might have noticed ;) ).

• Like 3

ETA: The Assassins mini made me do dead hangs on the playground. I managed 14s. And felt really stupid because there were people doing Skin the Cat holds next to me. (But I'm kinda proud that I have a name for what they were doing ;) ) Now to do 10x that amount over the next few days so I'll find Tarzan. Wooooo!

• Like 5

Hello @Briniel ! I was just browsing through members' logs and I luckily clicked on yours.  I have to say, I may have found something here that could change my life (!): bullet journaling. Believe it or not, I had never heard about it before, so out of curiosity, I've been googling it and now I have been watching videos about it for almost an hour! I can't wait to try it out this weekend :) Thank you!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Briniel said:

And felt really stupid because there were people doing Skin the Cat holds next to me. (But I'm kinda proud that I have a name for what they were doing ;) )

What the f--- kind of playground do you go to???  I only ever see kids pushing each other off the monkey bars at mine!

10 hours ago, Super_Lili said:

Hello @Briniel ! I was just browsing through members' logs and I luckily clicked on yours.  I have to say, I may have found something here that could change my life (!): bullet journaling. Believe it or not, I had never heard about it before, so out of curiosity, I've been googling it and now I have been watching videos about it for almost an hour! I can't wait to try it out this weekend :) Thank you!

Soon @Briniel will lead an army of Bullet Journalists - able to take over the world with their excellent organization and fancy pens!!

giphy.gif

Seriously though, welcome to the club - happy you found a system that might work for you!  :) 

• Like 5

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

On 29.7.2016 at 5:26 AM, Super_Lili said:

You're welcome! It's awesome and there's sooooo much inspiration out there regarding what you can do with it :)

On 29.7.2016 at 3:59 PM, athousandwords said:

What the f--- kind of playground do you go to???  I only ever see kids pushing each other off the monkey bars at mine!

Soon @Briniel will lead an army of Bullet Journalists - able to take over the world with their excellent organization and fancy pens!!

giphy.gif

Seriously though, welcome to the club - happy you found a system that might work for you!  :) 

Shhh, don't spoil my secret plan!

49 minutes ago, High Lord of the Sith said:

How's Habitica going for you? You inspired me to give it a try, too.

I really like it, BUT I've found it to be a bit redundant with my habit tracker. I still need to figure out whether there's a good way for me to use both or whether I'm just going to stick with the bujo.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Blonde-E said:

Hopefully I'm not too late to the party! Always love your approach to things and figure I might as well follow along. Promise to get caught up at some point.

Of course you're not to late, in fact you're right on time for my respawn. Welcome :D

Respawn Time!!!

It's a new month, a new week and a new job, so I decided to respawn on Monday, August 1st. I set up all stuff I need for this month in my bujo, made a list of things I want to do before my first day at the new job (which is today, yikes!) and proceeded to do most of these things yesterday. It was a really nice day, even if there were some stretches where I didn't feel motivated at all, but I pulled myself together and pushed through. Lots of things got done. Didn't hit all my daily habits, but that's okay.

I'll update here later with bujo pics and goals and such, but right now I gotta get ready to leave. I made some healthy lunch yesterday and will also prepare some fruit to take with me and then I'm off to see the wizard new job. Wish me luck!!

• Like 5

Hope your day went well!

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Hope your day went well!

Thank you, it did! I'm just way too tired now to post a recap. I did my tidying and cooked some food because I'm starving, but I think I'm going to go to bed now. I'll work the next two days and have friday off, so in case I don't respond until then, you know why ;)

• Like 2

Woohoo! See you Friday =P

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi