• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

calanthrophy

Calanthrophy's sumo training

I'm not actually training to be a sumo, but with the Nagoya basho underway I figured this was as good a theme as any.

OBJECTIVE #1: SUMO LEG STRENGTH

This is Hakuhou.

Hakuho_Shiranui_dohyo-iri_2012_Jan.JPG

The guy's strong as hell and has some serious quads.

Goal #1 for me is to strengthen and build my legs, especially my crappy weak left leg, the imbalance of which is ruining my squats. So it's lots of single-leg work, squats, and shiko (probably the only sumo-related activity I'm actually doing):

2012-09-15-sumo-22.jpg

OBJECTIVE #2: EAT LIKE A SUMO

photo_1362468476510-1-0.jpg

I'm currently in bulking mode, so plenty of protein and a caloric surplus. I've fallen off of tracking calories since it's a bloody nuisance and my scale's broken anyway. I intend to track at least a few days every week to make sure I'm eating enough.

However...

OBJECTIVE #2B: DON'T BE LIKE GAGAMARU

This is Gagamaru. He's too goddamn fat.

maxresdefault.jpg

It affects his mobility and agility, and (in my humble opinion) his overall performance suffers as a result.

To avoid being like Gagamaru, I will resist the urge to shovel peanut butter & jelly sandwiches into my face-cavern a half hour before bed.
Maintain my mostly Paleo regimen (Pale-almost, we'll call it).

OBJECTIVE #3: SUMO FLEXIBILITY

pic-dump-58-29.jpg

To help counteract the effects of being stuck at a desk all day, I will do either yoga or stretching a minimum of 3 times a week (my non-gym days). More would be great, but we're being realistic here.

OBJECTIVE #4: SLEEP

nap.jpeg

I don't have the luxury of taking a nap every afternoon like this guy, so I'm aiming for 8 hours/night. 9 would be ideal but that just isn't going to happen.

EXTRA CREDIT NON-SUMO-RELATED OBJECTIVE:

Get at least one song recorded by the end of this challenge.

That's pretty much it. Guess I should do some sumo deadlifts too for the theme's sake?

For those of you interested, I recommend this Youtube channel for watching the sumo matches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grizzy said:

I didn't realize sumo wrestlers were so flexible. That's seriously impressive.

What she said!

3 hours ago, Grizzy said:

I didn't realize sumo wrestlers were so flexible. That's seriously impressive.

Indeed it is. Rather humbling for me; I had always thought myself to be above average in the flexibility department.

Well, so far the foodening is on track and being tracked. I'm aiming for around 2500 calories/day and have been right around there.

Stretching's on as well to this point. It's been a while since I've done any regular stretching and either I've regressed since then or I've put on so much muscle that it's all getting in the way. We'll pretend it's the latter.

The sleep thing... not so great. The kid's had a nasty cough that's been waking me (and obviously her) up a lot. Got her some meds this morning, so that should clear up soon.

Tip of the day: when leg day gives you gluteal DOMS, saying "My ass hurts" might give people the wrong idea.

• Like 1

Monday:

Didn't get to the gym due to parenting obligations.

Did yoga.

Tracked food; ended up at 2600 calories (goal is 2500 - 2700).

Sleep: About 7.5 hours. Could be better.

Tuesday:

Leg day. Squats, step-ups and walking lunges, as well back/biceps work.

Didn't track food, but was probably right around the target. As long as I track every now and then I usually manage to keep a good pace.

Sleep: 6.5 hours :( Couldn't get to sleep last night, then the kid woke up coughing again.

Wednesday:

Not a gym day. Did yoga.

Didn't track food but I haven't strayed from Paleo, so let's call it a success.

Sleep: 8 hours.

Thursday:

Leg day again. Squats and step-ups. Was still sore from Tuesday so gave the lunges a miss.

Food: Same story as usual. Didn't track, but didn't pig out either.

Sleep: 7.5 hours. Close, but no banana.

• Like 2

bananas are pretty starchy so probably good no banana ;) seriously though, good work! It sounds like the week is a success so far. 

• Like 1

Are there always bears there? haha. I clicked it and it said it is 5:55 am in Alaska and BOOM there are two bears. Or is the cam just wherever the bears are? I have so many questions. :) Also, I saw a fish try to jump UP the falls and fail, nice try buddy. 

12 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Are there always bears there? haha. I clicked it and it said it is 5:55 am in Alaska and BOOM there are two bears. Or is the cam just wherever the bears are? I have so many questions. :) Also, I saw a fish try to jump UP the falls and fail, nice try buddy. 

Right now the salmon are indeed swimming back up the rivers to spawn. Which is why the bears are pretty much camped out there.  It didn't exactly fail, either, just didn't make it all the way in one go. As long as the bears didn't catch him, he can try again. Some do eventually get up there, however, or there wouldn't be any more salmon next year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Almost every time I've gotten on there I've seen bears. Until the salmon are done heading upstream I'd imagine there will usually be bears.

Friday:

Pretty much slacked off. :(

Food was less-than-great. My mom, sister, and daughter all had their birthday celebrations this weekend and we went to the river (which means there will be beer) so I went off the rails a bit.

Sleep: 7.5 hours

Saturday:

Managed to get to the gym before heading to the river, so yay for that.

Ate like Gagamaru, had some beers.

Sleep: about 6.5 hours. Bleh.

Sunday:

Not a gym day. Did my stretching and shiko.

Again, ate like a walrus. Birthdays.

Sleep: 7.5 hours. Would have been 8 but was awakened by a monster of a thunderstorm in the middle of the night and had to make sure the world wasn't ending.

5 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

Friday:

Pretty much slacked off. :(

Food was less-than-great. My mom, sister, and daughter all had their birthday celebrations this weekend and we went to the river (which means there will be beer) so I went off the rails a bit.

Sleep: 7.5 hours

Saturday:

Managed to get to the gym before heading to the river, so yay for that.

Ate like Gagamaru, had some beers.

Sleep: about 6.5 hours. Bleh.

Sunday:

Not a gym day. Did my stretching and shiko.

Again, ate like a walrus. Birthdays.

Sleep: 7.5 hours. Would have been 8 but was awakened by a monster of a thunderstorm in the middle of the night and had to make sure the world wasn't ending.

if you want something to help you not eat like a walrus, check out these chubby walrus' just flopped around. Makes me want to eat a salad STAT. 

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/walrus-cam-round-island 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2016 at 2:28 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

if you want something to help you not eat like a walrus, check out these chubby walrus' just flopped around. Makes me want to eat a salad STAT. 

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/walrus-cam-round-island 

They sure don't do much, do they? Lazy walri.

Monday:

Leg day again. Squats, step-ups and lunges.

Final day of birthday weekend festivities. Reigned in the eating a bit, but still not great.

Did some stretching, which was extra credit as it was a gym day.

Tuesday:

Gym day of the non-leg variety. Chest, shoulders, abs obliques. My obliques are sore as all hell now, so an A for effort I guess.

Tracked food, ate properly. Back on track.

21 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Seriously, you can't do a Warrior sumo challenge and not do sumo deadlifts! That's just CRAZY!

^^This^^

At least you're getting your bulk on.

58 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

They sure don't do much, do they? Lazy walri.

Don't hate on the walrus!  They need to sleep 19 hours a day for the gains!  Masters of bulking!  We should be in awe!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

Seriously, you can't do a Warrior sumo challenge and not do sumo deadlifts! That's just CRAZY!

I know, I know. Shame on me.

I have been meaning to fit 'em in somewhere but by the time I finish squats and single-leg exercises I tend to be gassed. </lame excuses>

Wednesday:

Not a gym day. Did yoga.

Food was tracked and on target.

Sleep: 8 hrs.

Thursday:

Leg day. Did step-ups, lunges, and in keeping with the theme, finally did some sumo deadlifts.

New PR on the sumo deadlifts, equaling my conventional deadlift PR. Tried to do 20 lbs. more thereafter but didn't get it. :(

Ate properly but didn't track.

Sleep: 7.5 hrs.