• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alanna

Alanna's Dog Days of Summer Challenge

6 hours ago, Grymm said:

So in other words, you dominated week 2.  

822d5752fdf413bd1d73f6f4a0e32e51dfa4412b

That would be the tl;dr version, yes :D.

bag-dog-plots-his-world-domination_o_174

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Excellent second week! :D 

Could you try eggs from a different company?

Thanks! Too bad it wasn't egg-cellent :(. #badpuns

66401a6270339a47e39c3c9dc7993fed.jpg

Yep, that's plan B -- the trick will just be finding such eggs (without paying an arm and a leg for them), since most feed their eggs soy (at least in this country). I was hopeful that these eggs would be soy-free because they're pastured, but no such luck -- they still give them supplemental soy feed. I'll check the other brands at the local grocery stores, though I didn't see any labelled "soy-free" -- and most would label since it would give them a reason to price them higher XD. I might also poke around at the farmer's market and see if I have any luck ("Sooooo, what do YOU feed your chickens?"). If I still react to the soy-free ones, though, then it's probably an actual egg protein that I'm reacting to :(.

• Like 2

Today in the gym parking lot I ran into one of the powerlifters that I met about a month ago, and promptly got told off for not coming to the team training sessions ("Where have you been?!?") XD.

Sunday, 7/31/16: bench, dynamic effort OHP, and front squats (all weights in lbs)

• bench: 45x5, 65x5, 85x5, 105x3, 120x5 (AMRAP), 100x7, 95x8, 85x8 (Extra back off sets because my bench needs to start moving)
  • OHP (DE): 65x3x10 EMOM (Okay, so the last sets weren't very dynamic after those extra bench sets XD)
  • front squats (with a 10 sec. hold after each set): 115x5x5
  • + band assisted pull-ups superset with shrimp squats (not full ROM... yet) and back extensions

Also, did I say that I'm not traveling this week after all? The week trip got turned into an overnight trip (where I no longer have to drive) because I'm not driving four hours if I don't sleep well.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Alanna said:

Thanks! Too bad it wasn't egg-cellent :(. #badpuns

66401a6270339a47e39c3c9dc7993fed.jpg

Yep, that's plan B -- the trick will just be finding such eggs (without paying an arm and a leg for them), since most feed their eggs soy (at least in this country). I was hopeful that these eggs would be soy-free because they're pastured, but no such luck -- they still give them supplemental soy feed. I'll check the other brands at the local grocery stores, though I didn't see any labelled "soy-free" -- and most would label since it would give them a reason to price them higher XD. I might also poke around at the farmer's market and see if I have any luck ("Sooooo, what do YOU feed your chickens?"). If I still react to the soy-free ones, though, then it's probably an actual egg protein that I'm reacting to :(.

lol that was good bad pun. I hope it's not an egg protein that you react too since you said you miss them. :)

I'd never heard of chickens being fed soy before to be honest. 

Today in the gym parking lot I ran into one of the powerlifters that I met about a month ago, and promptly got told off for not coming to the team training sessions ("Where have you been?!?") XD.

That's awesome! 

Sunday, 7/31/16: bench, dynamic effort OHP, and front squats (all weights in lbs)

• bench: 45x5, 65x5, 85x5, 105x3, 120x5 (AMRAP), 100x7, 95x8, 85x8 (Extra back off sets because my bench needs to start moving)
  • OHP (DE): 65x3x10 EMOM (Okay, so the last sets weren't very dynamic after those extra bench sets XD)
  • front squats (with a 10 sec. hold after each set): 115x5x5
  • + band assisted pull-ups superset with shrimp squats (not full ROM... yet) and back extensions

I had to google shrimp squats. They look interesting, I'll try to do some at home (or at the gym if I want to entertain the people around :P).

Also, did I say that I'm not traveling this week after all? The week trip got turned into an overnight trip (where I no longer have to drive) because I'm not driving four hours if I don't sleep well.

Yay!

• Like 1

I'm obviously behind on updates, but everything is going pretty well. I probably won't have a chance to post my week three and four recaps until Sunday evening or Monday. In the meantime, here's a dog:

7344fac839d6ca9afec3583303d194ee.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On 8/1/2016 at 3:52 AM, AugustaAdaByron said:

I had to google shrimp squats. They look interesting, I'll try to do some at home (or at the gym if I want to entertain the people around :P).

Yay!

I had to Google them too before I posted to make sure I was calling them the correct thing. I don't do the version where I hold my leg behind me, though -- I'm not sure I'm that coordinated :P. One day I'll replace them with pistol squats!

Yay that I got a ride and could still go... not so much for overestimating how I'd be doing and having to miss seeing a lot of other friends since the trip was abbreviated :/. But I'm learning how to balance making plans (albeit usually somewhat flexible plans) while still respecting my limits.

On 8/2/2016 at 1:23 PM, miss_marissa said:

Very nice workouts!

I also agree with powerlifting club member :P

Yeah, I need to start lifting with them at some point XD.

On 8/12/2016 at 5:29 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Glad things are going well.  Here's another dog:

eered2.jpg

:D

On 8/12/2016 at 6:03 PM, Grymm said:

And this is a robot, but dressed as a cartoon dog.

giphy.gif

Haha, don't think I've seen one of those at the rescue!

8 hours ago, Chronosus said:

Here's another picture of a dog that's glad things are going well :D 

12377685_1734268983469039_8190368332588176238_o.jpg

Mine?

• Like 1

The last half of the challenge hasn't been as spectacular as the first, but was still solid:

WEEK 3 RECAP

Food goals

• Track everyday on MFP: 7/7 days
  • 130+ g protein/day: 7/7 days
  • Reintroduce foods: still working on tracking sleep/supplements
  • 1/2 lb liver/week: almost all eaten
  • Take the supplements: missed my "morning with food" ones once

Mobility goals

• mWOD style mobility sessions: 4/4 days
  • yoga sessions: 4/3 days

Screen curfew: 6.5/7 days? I sent a few late texts to finalize carpooling plans for the weekend travel, which I could have avoided with better planning.

Meditation before 5 pm: 7/6 days, plus 1 extra after 5 pm meditation

tumblr_nefqou1MdX1szc9g2o1_500.gif

WEEK 4 RECAP

Food goals

• Track everyday on MFP: 7/7 days
  • 130+ g protein/day: 7/7 days
  • Reintroduce foods: still working on tracking sleep/supplements
  • 1/2 lb liver/week: all the liver
  • Take the supplements: like week 3, missed my "morning with food" ones once

Mobility goals

• mWOD style mobility sessions: 4/4 days
  • yoga sessions: 3/3 days. This included trying a video from Do Yoga with Me (thanks for pointing me to this resource, @miss_marissa!) that was great for gentle all around posterior chain stretching

Screen curfew: Technically 4/7 days because I had a bunch of near misses... 6 min. late to finish composing an email, 4 min. late to finish tracking on MFP, and 17 min. late to finish watching a Sherlock episode with a friend.

Meditation before 5 pm: 6/6 days, plus one extra after 5 pm meditation on the day I missed my pre-5 pm one.

happy-dog-2.gif

CHALLENGE RECAP

The food, mobility, and screen curfew goals are all fairly strong habits by now (which is good, cause they're all things that need to happen). They will be incorporated into a "keep doing all the things" goal next challenge so I don't start slacking, but they don't need to be the focus again. It would have been nice to actually do more food introductions as intended, but looks like that's a bit premature.

I'm really happy with the progress I've made with meditating (currently on a 32 day meditation streak and added ~6 hrs to my total meditation time since posting this challenge!) and plan to kick this up a notch next challenge.

Beyond my challenge goals: I went to the orientation at the animal rescue and have spent several hours working with the dogs there (the photo of the lab mix I posted earlier is one of my favorites :)). I also took a class they offer on how to work with the dogs at the rescue (e.g., reading dog body language, how to use your body language to make them more comfortable, types of activities that help the dogs and make them more adoptable), which was fun and will eventually allow me to work with more dogs there (just need to get some more hours and take another class first!).

Deadlifts are still rather off -- I think I lost a lot of back strength during the 5-6 weeks my back was sore (also evidenced by losing ~35 lbs from my good mornings). Formerly easy weights are starting to feel intimidating, so I plan to deload a bit more and hammer my back and posterior chain with accessories. Confession: I think squat are my favorite these days...

Sleep is also still off, unfortunately, and I'm having trouble determining if any of my supplements are exacerbating that . Since I have the sleep tracking, fitbit, and MFP data, I'm also looking at if my activity levels and calorie intake affect my sleep. Right now the difference between my calorie intake and fitbit calories burned (so, a probably biased-but-reliable measure of any deficit) is the best predictor of both how long I sleep and my subjective measure of sleep quality (with intake>burned --> better sleep). This deficit measure explains about twice as much of the variance in these sleep measures as, say, my calorie intake alone, but still just about 21-26% of the variance -- so, there's still a lot of variability in my sleep that's not explained by the deficit. Which also means that upping my calories (e.g., eating at or above maintenance) helps, but it isn't a guarantee that I'll sleep well. Likewise, I can still have a good night while running a steep deficit. The next step here (beyond gathering more data) will probably be to control for the deficit effect on my sleep to see if I can tease out any other good predictors, like certain supplements or macros. Yay statistics? To be continued...

Last chance to post more dog photos/gifs/memes!

dog-batman-PJs-spinning-snow-1388868289e

• Like 3

Sounds like you've had a successful four weeks, not just in your challenge but in all the extra stuff you've done on top!

So, here's a picture of another high achiever:

BRw9ooACUAMP31V.jpg

• Like 3