• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix Really Doesn't Know What's Going On

7 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Also ...Kishi, you get that PC, and you are going to have a serious stalker that will do her best to ruin your plans of betterment by trying to drag you off into forum/pbp/MMO rp!   >.>   And RP can come too!

I have a badass PC.  Where's my stalker? :(  :P 

1 minute ago, Oramac said:

I have a badass PC.  Where's my stalker? :(  :P 

Ohhohoho!    Pre-requisites:  Do you roleplay?   Do you MMO?  Do you like Star Wars?  What is the fourth stage of the dark side?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Ohhohoho!    Pre-requisites:  Do you roleplay?   Do you MMO?  Do you like Star Wars?  What is the fourth stage of the dark side?

Haha.  

1) yes, but not usually in MMO's (though I'm not against it, just never got into a group that does).  

2) Of course!  Mostly WoW, but I have SWTOR, Tera, and Blade & Soul as well.

3) check my avatar.  Do you even need to ask? :P 

4) Atonement/Redemption, though I have some slight disagreements with how they're defined.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oramac said:

Haha.  

1) yes, but not usually in MMO's (though I'm not against it, just never got into a group that does).  

2) Of course!  Mostly WoW, but I have SWTOR, Tera, and Blade & Soul as well.

3) check my avatar.  Do you even need to ask? :P 

4) Atonement/Redemption, though I have some slight disagreements with how they're defined.  

Aw crap!  And I just saw your signature quote... DING DING DING!   WINNER WINNER!    How have I never found/followed you before... have I been living in a Dagobah swamp these last three years?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Aw crap!  And I just saw your signature quote... DING DING DING!   WINNER WINNER!    How have I never found/followed you before... have I been living in a Dagobah swamp these last three years?

Dagobah.  Tatooine.  Maybe you were at a fancy party on Persephone.  Who knows. :D  (yes I did just combine Star Wars and Firefly.  Whatever.)

In any case, this is a bit off topic.  Maybe shoot me a PM? 

14 minutes ago, Oramac said:

In any case, this is a bit off topic.  Maybe shoot me a PM? 

Pfffft, this entire topic is just a breeding ground for off topic things.  I don't actually have a challenge going on, remember? :P

In the meantime, I'll let the Sithy kids play.  @Kishi and I will sit around giggling as the resident more-Grey Jedi.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Pfffft, this entire topic is just a breeding ground for off topic things.  I don't actually have a challenge going on, remember? :P

In the meantime, I'll let the Sithy kids play.  @Kishi and I will sit around giggling as the resident more-Grey Jedi.

Haha.  Fair enough!  Though my character tends to be a bit more Grey-Sith than anything.  Kinda the same concept as a Grey Jedi, except starting at the opposite extreme.  If we're ok to go off topic, here's the poorly written super-rough-draft origin story for Darth Teros.  @Kyellan will probably remember this.  The actual story is in the second section, separated by a bunch of = signs. 

Torin Rhys was born in the year 3672BBY to caring but troubled parents in the Promenade of Nar Shaddaa. Throughout his childhood he was quite good at hiding and subsequently heard his parents fighting often when they didn’t know he was there.  While he certainly loved his parents, as any child does, he found it difficult to like them.  His only solace came from learning to work on and fix used starships in his father’s starship repair shop.  Having learned one major lesson from his parents, accountability, he found conflicting sentiments with the criminal underworld, who betray each other with ease.  While he was reluctant to betray those who he befriended, he still found himself on the wrong side of what passed for law more than a few times.  When he was 3, his parents had a second child, whom they named Jiraan.

Being tall but relatively slender gave him an intimidating presence, but still allowed him to easily slip into the shadows and passages common to the Nar Shaddaa underworld.  By his 8th birthday, his home life had deteriorated to the point of depression, so shortly after his birthday Torin ran away from home.  He stowed away on a short range transport to a city on the other side of Nar Shaddaa and never saw his parents again.  Though he did not know it, his running away from home had a profound impact on his parents, who were able to reform their lives and moved the family business to Coruscant.  For the next 8 years Torin lived in the Nar Shaddaa underworld, making his way using any means necessary, and learning many valuable lessons along the way. 

On his 16th birthday he bartered passage to Dromund Kaas aboard a run-down freighter.  After arriving on Dromund Kaas, he made his way to the capital city and upon arriving, enlisted in the Imperial Military.  As Nar Shaddaa had no official laws for him to break, he only had to falsify his age in order to join.  His experience in the underworld of Nar Shaddaa gave him the knowledge to contact a forger and get a new ID made for this purpose. 

For the next 4 years, he trained as an Infantryman in the Imperial Army, where he gained some muscle mass, but remained relatively slender for his height.  While he excelled at escape/evasion and tactics, he was merely acceptable at large scale battle training.  He took great pains to stay out of the spotlight, preferring instead to be silent and somewhat mysterious.  His commanders and comrades found him tolerable, and he was able to establish a few close relationships, though these would later become assets in his eyes. 

Throughout his training in the Infantry, he consistently scored high in subtlety and stealth testing, which prompted Imperial Intelligence (II) to take an interest in him. [NOTE: Sacking of Coruscant happens 3 years after he joins the Army] Roughly 4 years after joining the Imperial Army, at age 20 (officially, age 22), he was quietly transferred to Imperial Intelligence to work as a covert operative.  His training with II consisted mainly of close quarters combat, infiltration, psychological warfare, and espionage.  While he was trained in all weapon types, either by the Army or Intelligence, he found a natural affinity for edged weapons, and easily mastered their use.   However, he never managed to be more than “acceptable” in use of firearms.  

He worked in various covert operations across the galaxy for the next two years, and had quite a bit of success in his operations, though not in all of them.  His failure to exfiltrate an asset on Coruscant caused him great remorse at the loss of the asset and of the team he had commanded to retrieve the asset.  Because of this failure, he was reassigned to work under Darth Brutallus on Corellia as punishment. 

During his time on Corellia with Darth Brutallus, he was initially assigned menial tasks because Brutallus was disappointed in his performance on Coruscant.  However, it quickly became apparent to Darth Brutallus that Torin was Force sensitive, but untrained in properly utilizing it.  After questioning Torin extensively about his extraction operation on Coruscant, Brutallus deduced that this lack of training was the ultimate reason for his failure.  Shortly after realizing this, Brutallus took Torin as an apprentice, though this was kept secret from Imperial Intelligence, as Rhys was still assigned to work with Brutallus by the Intelligence agency. 

While being tasked to work with Darth Brutallus was unpleasant for Rhys because of Brutallus’ propensity for carnage, his desire to learn control over his newfound ability overwhelmed him, and he diligently studied the Force.  Through careful experimentation, it was found that Torin had an innate ability to bend light and sound using the Force, which he eventually refined into the Force Cloak ability.  It was this ability that had allowed him to so easily slip into the shadows, even during his childhood on Nar Shaddaa.  Torin often carried a Stealth Field Generator as well to augment his natural Cloaking abilities.  Besides Force Cloak, Torin trained in Force Weapon (used on his knife blades), Art of Movement and Shadow Vision, as well as the more typical Sith aspects such as lightsaber training.  Torin was also capable of using Force Stun/Stasis Field, though he rarely did given that many of his assignments under Darth Brutallus entailed either turning an asset or assassination.  Finally, he was known to have trained with and used Mandalorian Crushgaunts, primarily because they allowed the user to hold a lightsaber blade for a short time.  Using these, he studied and began using an ancient technique known as “Half-Sword”.  Though trained with the Dark Side of the Force, Torin rarely used any actual Dark Side abilities, due to his preference not to kill, and his tendency to remain hidden until the last possible moment.  He especially avoided overt or “gaudy” abilities like Force Choke and Force Lightning, feeling that they brought too much unnecessary attention to him. 

However, while he excelled at Force Cloak and its related abilities, his ability for Mind Trick and Telepathy were virtually non-existent.  Because of this, Rhys preferred to remain Cloaked and get as close to his target as possible before attacking.  He also made great use of the infiltration skills taught to him by II, by taking on cover identities in order to get close to a target. 

As is standard for Force users, Rhys built his own personal lightsaber about a year into his training.  Having communed with the Dark Side of the Force, he built a lightsaber that is about 13 inches long, with a black body and four silver claws around the emitter with a red blade.  Because of his training in edged weapons with II, Torin often carried one or several knives in addition to his lightsaber, and due to their silent nature, he preferred to use them instead of his lightsaber if possible.  Shortly before building his saber, Torin had been granted the title ‘Lord Krios’ by Darth Brutallus.  However, Rhys was unhappy with the name, as he felt it was too direct and did not properly describe him.

Unfortunately for Torin’s conscience, his assignments under Brutallus often included secondary objectives designed to induce fear and terror, including killing innocent people.  This caused great remorse for Torin, who did not like killing if he could avoid it.  The often brutal nature of his assignments under Darth Brutallus caused Rhys pause, and he silently and secretly began to plan for the time when he would no longer be under the thumb of his Master, or II.

Once Brutallus determined that Lord Krios’ training was nearly complete, he personally visited the Imperial Intelligence headquarters to ‘request’ his discharge from the military.  While met with resistance, Brutallus was ultimately successful in getting Krios discharged.  At Krios’ request and in a rare moment of compassion, Brutallus granted him an honorable discharge.  Using Force Cloak, immediately after Brutallus secured his discharge Krios snuck into the II records vault and, with precise timing, stole a copy of his personnel file as well as erasing the original.  In this way he effectively removed all record of his existence.  Around this same time, using credits earned while working for II, Lord Krios bought his own personal starship.  He bought a Kuat Drive Yards Alisar-class combat yacht, which he named Krios.  While slightly larger than most light-freighters, it is fast and well-armed, and allows Lord Krios absolute autonomy should he desire it.  After some modification, he was able to turn the ship into a very effective stealth vessel; however this required him to fly much slower than the ships maximum speed if he wanted to maintain stealth.  Although Lord Krios enjoys luxury, he does not require it, meaning that parts of his ship have been modified to be more utilitarian than luxurious.  In this way, he also increases the usable interior space. 

Alisar-class Combat Yacht Stats (after modification):

-          KDY S6D Stealthcore power plant; tarship, [6]th revision, [D]iscreet (Hypermatter reactor)

-          2: Girodyne AEP9 engines [A]dvanced [E]ngine [P]latform, [9]th design; (modified for slow to medium velocity stealth)

-          Torplex Ra5.x Avionics suite

-          Chempat Supreme Defender XR17a Deflector Shield

-          Fabritech ACp-39 Sensor Suite

-          2: A&R Omnisky VI laser cannon (Gimbaled; forward firing; created by CIG)

-          4: Knightbridge Arms 11-Series Broadsword cannon (2 per turret; created by CIG)

-          20: Arakyd SR2 concussion missiles

After officially leaving II, and having erased his name from all records, Lord Krios began to set his plan in motion.  During this time, he was granted the ‘Darth’ title by the Dark Council.  While not required to do so, he continued to train under Brutallus for a few months, hoping to glean any small pieces of information from him.  Once he determined that he could no longer learn the things he needed from Brutallus, he confronted his Master about the brutal nature of his assignments, which often included killing innocent people to get to his target, or simply to cause terror.  Brutallus was unrepentant and extremely angry that Krios would question him and his motives, believing they were in the best interest of the Sith Empire.  Ultimately, Brutallus attacked Krios.

The fight was long and ultimately ended in a draw.  Darth Krios’ lightsaber skills exceeded those of Brutallus, but Brutallus threw an unending assault of advanced telekinesis at him.  Upon realizing that the fight was going nowhere, Krios disengaged and disappeared into the shadows.  He then returned to his ship and left Dromund Kaas, vowing to end the tyranny of the Sith Empire, as in his view, the Empire had strayed away from the Sith Code.  Unfortunately for him, the Republic also would not take him in, as they viewed him as a terrorist for his actions while under the tutelage of Brutallus.  Worse, the Jedi would not take him in because of his attunement to the Dark Side of the Force.

Krios then exiled himself, took the name “Teros”, and re-named his ship ‘Death’s Conscience’ as a way of being the “conscience of the galaxy”. From the Sith Code, and his time spent on Nar Shaddaa, Darth Teros was passionate about the freedom afforded by individual work and achievement.  Though he could not join the Republic, or the Jedi, he did empathize with them. 

For several years, he worked to destabilize the Empire and to a lesser extent, the Republic.  He had more success undermining the Empire, as he already had intimate knowledge of their operations from his time with II.  His most successful missions typically involved infiltrating and undermining corrupt politicians, bureaucrats, or Sith operations. Typically he used misdirection and misinformation, and in a few extreme cases assassination, when necessary.  One of his major successes was the assassination of his former Master, Darth Brutallus, during a Dark Council meeting.  This act successfully sent the Dark Council into a panic, as it had been intended to. 

After several years, on the planet Carrivar on the edge of the Unknown Regions, he was found and confronted by a Jedi Guardian named Jiraan Rhys.  After an initial fight which Jiraan barely won, and interrogations of both, Teros correctly deduced that Jiraan is his younger brother.  However, Torin did not reveal his revelation, choosing instead to wait and see what Jiraan would do.  Because of Darth Teros’ actions in Republic space, Jiraan had been sent to confront him. While Jiraan hoped to turn Teros away from the Dark Side, he knew that may not be possible.  Still, Jiraan was open to whatever plan the Force had in store for them.  

Because he knew Jiraan was his brother, Darth Teros agreed to come before the Jedi Council.  He knew he would have to answer for his actions in Republic space eventually, and it seemed that sooner would be better than later.  Because he agreed to come willingly, Jiraan allowed Darth Teros to pilot his own ship to Tython.

The Jedi Councils questioning of Torin lasted several weeks.  During this time, Torin was watched constantly for fear he would slip away, as he had so often in the past.  For his part, Torin was glad to finally talk about the brutal things he had to do both for II and Darth Brutallus.  While he knew he could never make up for those crimes, he was repentant, which the Jedi Council took into account. 

[Sentenced to death to make the Senate happy; Jiraan helps fake his death on orders from the Jedi Council (off the record); DT sent back into exile to continue destabilizing the Empire; one condition: no operations in Republic space without explicit permission from the Jedi Council]  

Something something something dark side…….. 

==============================================

[Story of his failed extraction on Coruscant, and sentencing, told in first person]

My name is……never mind.  That’s classified.  So are the names of my team members, and the asset we’re supposed to exfiltrate. 

Ahh, what the hell.  This isn’t an official record anyway.  My name in Torin Rhys.  I’m a Cipher Agent for Imperial Intelligence.  Most people would just call me a spy.  Most people would be right.  My team and I are tasked with tracking down and recovering an asset from the single most heavily populated and policed planet in the known galaxy: Coruscant.  If you’ve been living under a rock in the Outer Rim, that’s the Republic’s capital planet, and it’s one big city.  I’m not kidding.  Imagine an entire planet that is nothing but cityscape as far as you can see.  In the right light, I’m sure it’s beautiful, but it’s definitely not the ideal place for a covert extraction mission.  To say things could get exciting is an understatement. 

As I walk into the briefing room, my Commander hands me 12 envelopes.  “Pick three”, he says. 

“Can I at least meet the candidates before I pick them?” I ask.

“You get what’s in those dossiers!  Now get to it”, he replies. 

I’ve always hated this part.  I have to pick the members of my team based on some desk jockeys idea of what’s important in the field.  Weapons handling, languages spoken, covert training, all of it useful, to be sure, but none of it means a damn thing if the guy you pick can’t think on his feet.  Can he improvise the right answer to a question that’ll get him killed if he’s wrong?  That’s what matters.  That’s why I was chosen to lead this mission.  Eight successful operations in 2 years on 4 planets and they give me twelve dossiers for a bunch of rookie graduates fresh out of the Academy.

This is going to take a while.  They gave me a desk to use in this horribly bland Intelligence building, but I prefer a little more space around me, so I usually take my datapad outside to read over this stuff.  It’s against protocol, but frankly, I don’t care.  Plus, it gets me away from that annoying lady across from me who won’t shut up about her pet tauntaun.  Seriously, I don’t care. 

Checking service records, proficiency scores, weapons ratings, specialization training, and trying to glean any useful idea about the actual person from it is a challenge.  After a while checking and rechecking the dossier’s, I’ve got my three.  Jaylan Uras, Sataf Chead, and Narri’alek (Narria Lek).  All top of their class, all fully trained, and all green as the grasses of Alderaan.  Fantastic. 

As I walk over to the CO, I ask, “Excuse me, Commander!  Why am I being given new recruits for a high priority exfiltration on Coruscant?!” 

He turns and looks at me incredulously, “Because that’s what the General ordered.  Get your gear, and go get that asset!” 

That means the Commander doesn’t like it either, but there’s nothing he can do about it.  I know from past experience that arguing with a response like that is nothing more than a quick way to get pulled off the job, so I keep my mouth shut and head off to find my new team. 

Jaylan Urias is a male human, shorter than I, but just as wiry.  I found him on the range, practicing with his rifle.  He’s the group’s sniper.  His combat proficiency scores are off the chart, but I worry about his restraint in covert ops.  Unfortunately, he’s the only dossier I was given that qualified with a sniper rifle.  Hopefully he can keep it together.   Since I’m really good at walking quietly, I decided to test him a little.  Slowly walking up behind him, seeing him begin to squeeze the trigger, I yell, “HEY URIAS!”

To his credit, he still made the shot.  “Sir!” he says as he jumps up, a huge smile on his face, “I’m excited to meet you, sir! Can’t wait to find out what we’re doing!  Been practicing all morning on this baby.  This here’s a Norman Arms ATJ-36 sniper rifle.  Best damn rifle I’ve ever fired.  I could knock an Alderaanian apricot off your head at 1000 meters with it!”

Interesting.  Either there’s a leak, or he knew his was the only dossier qualified on a sniper rifle.  Still, he seems far too excitable for the kind of mission we’re running.  Time will tell, I suppose. 

Sataf Chead is another human male, though he’s considerably larger.  I found him exactly where I expected to find him: in the café, eating.  He’s a great guy according to his file, and definitely qualified for the mission, but I’d prefer someone a bit less rotund. 

“Chead”, I say as I walk up to introduce myself to him. 

“Sir!” he says, as he tries to jump up and salute.

“Relax, Chead.  As you were.  I’m not here for formalities.” I reply, “In fact, officially, I’m not even here.  Neither are you.  You’ve been chosen for my team.  Finish up here and report to briefing room 3A at 1300 hours.”

Chead will take the job of close support for Narri’alek, the group’s only female and only alien member.  After some looking, I found her training in the campus gym.  I admit, I didn’t expect to see her lifting so much weight, but I’m glad for it!  She’s a lithe Twi’lek who supposedly excels at stealth and recon.  Unfortunately, she’s here for neither of those. By any standard, she’s beautiful, and she’s the one who gets to physically retrieve the asset, as he has a known soft spot for Twi’lek dancers. 

“Narri’alek”, I greet her as she finishes a set. 

“Sir”, she replies, “Please, just call me Narria.  It’s simpler on the radios.”

“I appreciate that.  Thank you.  That’s an impressive workout”, I say as I gesture to the loaded barbell.

“Thank you, sir.  It’s surprisingly helpful in our line of work.”

“Agreed.” I reply, as I tell her to report to the same briefing room as the others. I like Narria.  She’s the most level-headed of the three team members, and she seems like the one that’ll grow into a great leader someday.  I’m honored to be her first commander on a mission like this.

In the briefing room, I have to lay out the plan for the team.  Hopefully they catch on quickly. 

“Ok, everyone”, I begin, “this is an extremely difficult mission.  You’ve all been assigned to it because of your aptitude and proficiency in your given skillsets, but that alone won’t complete the mission for us.” As I said it, I pulled up a holo of the asset.

“So here’s how it is.  Our mission is to extract this man: Inyak Elrad.  Code name: Cardinal.  He’s a retired Rear Admiral in the Republic Navy, and he’s been quietly feeding us information for decades.  The guy is a legend around here.  Our job is to get him out, quietly.  Republic Intelligence is not to know we exist.

Narria, like I said, your job is to get close to Cardinal and ‘convince’ him to come with you to the rendezvous point.  Take him through the private dance rooms and out the back.  Once there, you’ll take a hover-car and everyone meets at the rendezvous.  Supposedly, Cardinal has been told of you and should know to come with you.  Chead, you’re close support for Narria.  You’re to keep within sight of Narria and Cardinal at all times. You’ll have a second hover car that you can follow them in once they leave the cantina.  Urias is our high cover.  You pick your perch and let us know the second you see anything that even might be danger.  We’ll be getting feeds from some of the security cameras around Coruscant, but don’t count on those too heavily.

If we need it, the alternative plan is for Chead to offer Cardinal a drink, and get him out through the refreshers.  Let’s try not to get to that point though.”

As we study the map of the engagement zone, looking for potential problems, finding the right extraction points, learning the roads, byways, tunnels, and alleys, it quickly becomes apparent that these recruits are very confident in themselves.  Almost too confident. 

Finally, the time comes.  Walking onto the landing pad before take-off, I can feel the tension of the team.  They’re all new, so I expected them to be nervous.  Getting into a small 5 man stealth ship, we take off and make the first several jumps into hyperspace.  We’re taking a very circuitous route, hoping to enter Coruscant from the opposite direction of Dromund Kaas.  The closer we get to that final jump, the more I can feel them shifting around.  Urias is jumpy already.  I’m worried about him.  He’s good with a rifle, but it’s not good for a covert agent to be jumping at noises on his own ship heading into a mission.  Chead is doing all right, though I can tell he’s really just masking his fear.  He’s been trained for this, just like the others, but I’m not sure he ever realized just how dangerous it is.  If he’s killed, nobody will mention him, and if he’s captured, everyone denies knowing him.  It’s a tough way to live.  Narria seems to be keeping it together the best, but even she has a little bit of strain in her face.

As the team goes to their positions, I stay with the ship to call the shots and watch the cameras.  Chead and Naria take a groundcar to the cantina, and Chead drops Narria off at the dancer’s entrance before stashing the vehicle behind the kitchen, since it’s also the escape vehicle. Urias takes the longest to get into position, since he has to sneak onto a rooftop overlooking the cantina, all while carrying the suitcase his rifle is packed in. 

Our intel tells us the Cardinal is to be at a cantina shortly before sunset, which is where we start.  I keep getting these nagging feelings that I should change something.  That something isn’t quite right; but I can’t put my finger on it and just brush it off as pre-mission jitters.

As Narria and Chead walk into the cantina, I can tell it’s not the sort of place one would expect the find a retired Admiral.  It’s dark and dingy, and smells of Corellian tobacco mixed with just a hint of spice.  Narria enters first and begins dancing, keeping an eye on the Cardinal. Chead follows through the front door, keeping an eye on them and drinking way too much Corellian Ale.  I know it’s a part of his cover, but there’s no call for getting hammered during a mission!  After a short while, Narria heads toward Cardinal.  Listening over the radio, Narria, wearing a skimpy Twi’lek dancer’s outfit, approaches the Cardinal.  “Hey handsome,” she says, “Care for a dance?” 

“Absolutely,” he replies. 

I can hear her leading him through the club.  It’s a loud place, but if you’ve been in them you start to know what to listen for.  As they’re walking, I hear her whisper through the radio implanted in her jaw, “They’re following us!  The men who were with Cardinal!”  Dammit.  She should know better than to break radio silence. 

“Just act normally, the dance room is private”, I say.  

I can see on the cameras that she’s still headed towards the private room with Cardinal, though the two men following her are acting awful jumpy.  Something at the back of my mind is yelling at me to abort the mission here and now, but I can’t quite pin down why.  Other than the two guys following, who I know have to stay out of the private room by Republic Law, everything seems to be going exactly as planned.  Besides, right at this moment there’s no way to abort without blowing Narria’s cover.

Watching the cameras, I got a feeling of pure dread just as I saw one of the men following Narria flip a switch in his hand.  In that moment, a flashbang went off ahead of Cardinal and Narria, stunning them.  The two men following were clearly expecting it and leapt into action, attacking Narria and Cardinal. 

“Damn!  They knew we were coming!” I say, “Narria, Chead, get to the front door instead!  Urias, you stay pu…”

“Too late!” Urias yells over the comm, “I’m already moving to my secondary posi…..GRRH”

I don’t even need the cameras.  I knew before Urias started talking that he was dead.  It stunned me for just a moment.  I’ve certainly experienced death, but usually I’m the one causing it.  Being on the other end is not an experience I want to repeat. 

“Urias is down!  Narria, Chead, watch for snipers at the front!” I yell.  Hopefully they heard me, what with all the commotion going on inside the cantina.  Looking at the video feed, I can see Narria and Chead doing a fantastic job fighting their way out, all while protecting Cardinal.  Narria, being the lithe Twi’lek, is nearly dancing around everyone, throwing kicks and punches with mesmerizing grace.  By contrast, Chead is the blunt instrument, picking up bottles and broken chair legs as improvised weapons and bludgeoning anyone who comes near him.  And of course I put myself at the rendezvous, too far away to do anything but watch. 

Narria and Chead manage to fight their way to the front of the building, and to their credit they get Cardinal out without being hit by the sniper covering the front.  The mass of people pouring out of the cantina probably helped, to be sure.  They managed to fight their way to a ground car sitting by the cantina and get in.  Holding my breath, I’m relieved to see that Chead managed to hotwire it and get it moving. 

With a squeal of tires on dry pavement, they took off.  Gaining speed, they quickly left the men at the cantina in the distance.  For all appearances, it looked like they’d gotten away.   Just then, I looked over at one of the wide angle cameras, and saw the men from the cantina on their radio, with a Republic Liberator-class starfighter.  As soon as I saw the radio I knew what was going to happen.

“No, no, please……no” I whispered. 

They never knew what hit them.  The Liberator came at them with the sun at its back, and in the blink of an eye it fired its twin laser cannons; the car, the asset, and the rest of my team were vaporized in an instant.  I could feel the rage building in me; a blind, cacophonous rage that I could barely contain.  It took all my willpower to bury it, for the moment, so I could try to stay calm and get myself off planet.

Unfortunately, I was already in the ship.  But all that did was make me a target.  If they knew the team was coming, surely they’d have pegged the ship as hostile too.  Checking the passive scanners, I saw at least 3 more Liberators sitting in high orbit, clearly waiting for me.  Too bad too, I kinda liked this little ship.  But it was time to ditch it and find a new ride off-world.

My first step was to get out of here.  I could mourn my team later.  Putting my feelings aside, I started to assess the situation.  We’d stashed the ship in an abandoned commercial building about 5 clicks from the spaceport.  Not bad, but hardly great.  I’ll have to get out of the ship and cross 5 kilometers of hostile forces who were sure to be looking for me.  And if I manage to do that, I still need to figure out how the hell to get off-planet. 

Setting a timed EMP charge to disable the ship and erase its data drives, I straightened my clothes, hoping they fit the current styles in Republic space.  Imperial Intelligence had assured me they do, but you just never know until your boots meet the road.  

==============================================

Imperial Intelligence Personnel File: XR-7265-8B

Name: Darth Teros

Birth Name: Unknown

Home Planet: Unknown

Race: Human

Height: 6'4”

Weight: Unknown.  Estimated 180-200 pounds.

Hair Color: [Redacted]

Eye Color: [Redacted]

Affiliation:

-          Former Cipher Agent of Imperial Intelligence.  Previous posting and service record lost, presumably erased. 

-          Currently: loose allegiance to Sith Order.   Ties to various Imperial personnel suspected, but unconfirmed.  Personnel in question are under observation.

Weapons:

-          Working familiarity of all weapon types; firearms proficiency questionable. 

-          Current weapon preference unknown; presumed to use a lightsaber of unknown qualities.

-          Probable use of two-handed styles with the lightsaber.  Color presumed to be Red, Orange, or Yellow.  Unconfirmed reports indicate expert level lightsaber skills; likely attributable to previous training in edged weapons.  Known to experiment with new weapons and styles.

-          He is known to use dirks, daggers, karambits, and any other small, concealable weapon available.

-          Known proficiency in improvised weaponry. 

Fighting Style:

-          Standard Imperial Military armed and unarmed combat training. 

-          Imperial Intelligence training in covert infiltration, espionage, and psychological warfare likely; data erased.

-          Lightsaber techniques unknown, but presumed to be proficient in Forms I, IV and V, given that his Master trained heavily in these Forms.

Overview: At age [redacted] he enlisted in the Imperial Military after lying about his age.  He spent 4 years training as an infantryman before he was selected by Imperial Intelligence for his aptitude with covert operations.  He then spent 5 years with Imperial Intelligence working as an infiltrator and assassin, though his primary missions often involved espionage and intelligence gathering.  At an unknown point during his time with Imperial Intelligence, he was tasked to work on the planet [redacted] with the Sith Lord, Darth [Redacted].  This Lord discovered that his success in Intelligence was due, in part, to a latent Force sensitivity.  After mission completion, Darth [Redacted] became his Master and trained him in secret, even while he was still in the employ of Imperial Intelligence.  Little is known of his Master, except that he was an exceptionally brutal man.  Darth Teros was honorably discharged from Imperial Intelligence at the “request” of his Master.  Various reports estimate this is the rough timeframe of the loss of all official records.

Shortly before leaving the service of Imperial Intelligence, Darth Teros purchased his ship (a KDY Alisar-Class combat yacht; name unknown) with credits earned while working for the Empire.  Unconfirmed reports indicate extensive modification.  His current whereabouts are unknown.  While he maintains ties to the Sith Order, he has been slowly reducing his involvement.  Reports indicate that his Masters brutality caused him discomfort with the wanton violence promoted by many Sith, yet counterintelligence reports that he has not contacted nor been contacted by the Jedi.  His current goals and motivations are unknown.

Addendum: unconfirmed reports indicate his ship name is the ‘Death's Conscience’.

Addendum: unconfirmed reports indicate he wears black and red armor with a half-face mask and a short-sleeved Sith robe.  The purpose of the mask is unknown.  He has no known respiratory conditions.  He is equally skilled in infiltration and is known to wear any clothing that will blend into his surroundings.

11 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

3 minutes ago, Oramac said:

Haha.  Fair enough!  Though my character tends to be a bit more Grey-Sith than anything.  Kinda the same concept as a Grey Jedi, except starting at the opposite extreme.

And hey!   Starpuck started off with the Sith Code, but her current challenge has her in possession of the Jedi Code... she's testing waters on both sides!   We'll see where she lands!!

• Like 2

Sensing much Grey, I am.  If a few more of us we find, fifty shades of grey we might have.  

Ba dum tiss.  Yea that was terrible.  Shut up. :P

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Oramac said:

Sensing much Grey, I am.  If a few more of us we find, fifty shades of grey we might have.  

Ba dum tiss.  Yea that was terrible.  Shut up. :P

sithcat-not-amused-395x300.jpg

• Like 2

Meeting accomplished. Forgot that I actually know things. And then I started talking and realized it was easy. 

Also, had two people recognize me as a guy who interviewed back in November. That makes me giggle. 

Now going to get coffee with a friend who works at the company.

Huzzah connections!

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Meeting accomplished. Forgot that I actually know things. And then I started talking and realized it was easy. 

Also, had two people recognize me as a guy who interviewed back in November. That makes me giggle. 

Now going to get coffee with a friend who works at the company.

Huzzah connections!

Awesome!  Sounds like it went pretty well.  Enjoy the coffee! 

Reward for doing well was a roasted lamb sandwich with feta and other tasty things. Topped off with an iced coffee and an epic brownie. 

Now, I'm at the dojo, hiding inmuncar. Because I wanted to relax in the dojo, but Original Goober is here already. And the moment I get out he will follow and make it impossible to relax in the dojo. >.<

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I realized I really like to procrastinate on my job hunt stuff. Partially because I still can barely believe I'm unemployed again. And promising leads scare the shit out of me. But usually my procrastination takes the form of heavy adulting, which is good, but I should pull it back a bit when I'm using it as a cover from doing things I'm not a fan of. 

Oh yes, I recognize this pattern. It's amazing how much adulting I can get done when I'm avoiding something.

Considering that your previous plan for being unemployed was shelved because you were unexpectedly hired, I understand why you are feeling some whiplash. Remember what you were saying about being good in the lab? No? Go back and read your posts from May and June. You are Good at Your Work. Keep that attitude as you apply for other jobs. B) 

1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Reward for doing well was a roasted lamb sandwich with feta and other tasty things. Topped off with an iced coffee and an epic brownie. 

Now, I'm at the dojo, hiding inmuncar. Because I wanted to relax in the dojo, but Original Goober is here already. And the moment I get out he will follow and make it impossible to relax in the dojo. >.<

Good for you on giving a good interview! Sorry about not being able to relax in the dojo as you planned. I hope you can take out your residual tension on your ukes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Like how yesterday I didn't do two physical activities.  Unless sunbathing counts.  In which case I totally did two physical activities.

Sure.  Every once in a while, you need to produce that vitamin D.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Sure.  Every once in a while, you need to produce that vitamin D.

Yesssss..... Honestly, I did get a little more color than I expected to get from that brief time outside.  Probably shows how damn pasty I am.  Haha

15 hours ago, Mistr said:

Oh yes, I recognize this pattern. It's amazing how much adulting I can get done when I'm avoiding something.

Considering that your previous plan for being unemployed was shelved because you were unexpectedly hired, I understand why you are feeling some whiplash. Remember what you were saying about being good in the lab? No? Go back and read your posts from May and June. You are Good at Your Work. Keep that attitude as you apply for other jobs. B) 

Good for you on giving a good interview! Sorry about not being able to relax in the dojo as you planned. I hope you can take out your residual tension on your ukes.

I figure the adulting is good.  It is inspiring me a bit to try and do some weekday adulting when I get a job back.  Small things, once a day, say a few minutes after I get home from practice?  Rather than try and cram everything in Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.  Makes the weekend less relaxing.  So maybe once I'm employed again that's a good challenge goal for me - adulting a la Unfuck Your Habitat style.

Yea, I just got freaked out from what one of the hiring managers said about her talking to my references.  The startup really had me running around and not doing data analysis, which I hate, but I managed to keep sane on the promise that eventually things would get to where I'd be doing said analysis and also setting up the logistics side of things for procedures.  I suspect if she had spoken with my boss from the first start up that laid me off it would have been a much different tenor to the conversation, since the position they are looking to have me fill is similar to that job, but talking only to the slightly-privileged, aloof PhD who didn't really see how real world jobs work outside of academia.... can skew things.  And it freaked me out.  And making a presentation that shows my thought process is a bit tricky, given I lack some of the data to show, rather than tell.  However, I was told Monday that the interview is going to be 7.5 hours.  Suddenly a 20 minute interview is much less vital in showing how I think.  Nice overview, but muuuuuch less vital.  I'll still rock it.  But not quite as worried now.

Ahhh, the dojo last night was fantastic.  Like, amazingly fantastic, couldn't have gone better.  I showed up, and D (the instructor who was the final shove to get me to quit my last job due to it actively impacting my health) was finally back from her summer sabbatical.  So I got to give hugs, hear a few stories, and then tell her I was laid off.  D'oh!

Her class was freaking awesome.  It was predicated on a fact a lot of people tend to forget: aikido can be peaceful, but in a fight it probably won't be.  The class' directive was, dodge a tsuki (punch), and "break" uke's elbow.  The idea being uke needs to react accordingly (I was the demo for this.  Talk about slightly freaking me out, since I still don't have insurance - adulting thing I need to do), and also remember that eventually they are going to either pull their arm close to you OR come around for a punch with the other arm (if they are committed fighters).  So with that, we were told "What would you do after breaking the elbow?"  So that was a fun premise for the class in and of itself BUT.... to make it better, Sempai (who teaches second class) arrived early enough that he took the class, and he and I worked together.  Which was amazing fun, because we kept playing around with things.  A few of my favorites were a katahikiotoshi (as you can push the dangly elbow/arm away easy AND takes into account a punch being lobbed at you with the other hand to send them flying), as well as a kotegaeshi/hitoe iriminage performed on the incoming punch from the other hand.  Sempai did a mean nikkyo - break the arm, tenkan around, and hyperextend the broken bones and drop down - as well as a taiotoshi throw down.  Plus a more judo-esque over-the-shoulder throw.  And ANOTHER cool technique done by G (who was also taking class that night) was breaking the elbow and then dropping down to "break" the front knee out from the attacker as well.

After playing with that for about 30 minutes, we then lined up and everyone showed off two of their techniques they 'discovered' and then we spent the last 15 minutes or so copying the ones we found to be the most awesome.  Sempai and I were GEEKING OUT the entire time.  It was great.

Second class Sempai taught, and it was a solid class where he was riffing off the things done in the first class.  It was just great fun.  Plus there was a newer student that came in that I got to work with, and it was in a group with me and G, so we all got a lot out of it.  Super, super fun.  New guy talked to me a bit after class, asking how long I had been practicing, what's my rank, how I felt about aikido, yadda yadda ya.  Seems like a nice guy who is getting along with people in the dojo, which is always nice.  I hung back because I had to lock up, and was helping someone find/purchase a gi because they were locked away.  It does constantly amaze me how much crap I get away with in the dojo.  

Went home after that, ate, and then woke up this morning to run some Stairs.  Also, I made/in the process of making frozen Peanut Butter bananas.  200 grams of siggi's vanilla yogurt + 20g PB2, one banana.  Coated the banana in the yogurt (I have a lot extra, because I initially made the PB yogurt just to eat which is why I made 200g , and then realized I could do this amazing thing.  Maybe 30g of the mix was used), placed them on parchment paper, and are currently sitting in the freezer to get solid.  It'll make a nice snack later on.

Goal for today is get this presentation done for the interview tomorrow, go grocery shopping, and then prep for the interview, clothing-style, before hunkering down and relaxing the rest of the day.  Might hit the gym if I feel like it, but I'm cool if I just puddle on the couch and binge watch Stranger Things and/or throw fireballs at things in Dragon Age.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Sun, fun and yum!   

That's how I'd summarize your update!   Those naner's sound amazing.  

Well said.  QFT. 

I love everything about that update. Sorry I've been absent from the stadium lately -- crazy life schedule, but I should be back in action next weeeek. :D 

KILL IT TOMORROW! 

• Like 2

Interview accomplished. I'm so freaking exhausted. Got some good may therapy in by making it to second class. Probably could have taken half of the first class, but I was just tired. But really, really needed the mat therapy. 

Ingervidw went mostly well. Out of the something like 10 people I met with I didn't really click with only one, though the HR guy I found to be a sleazy dude talking to him. It probably didn't help that he was asking all sorts of crap which really didn't matter any more (seriously, I'm almost a decade out of college, my GPA there is no longer relevant and there was no GPA in grade school). He did a lot of "oh, you don't REALLY!know what a start up is like" and "Are you SURE you want a role like this?" Type stuff. Reminded me a lot of a professor in college who would take any small comment of no import and twist it to tell you to drop out of the program because clearly that small comment means you aren't committed to things. But everyone else was wonderful, it's a cool project/concept, and I could do a lot I think. 

Only my downside is they may move a decent distance away from where I am. Which the distance from home isn't the problem, but the distance to the dojo. I've been told that it's a 30 minute drive with shortcuts though, which isn't bad, from one of the senior students at the dojo. So who knows. I'll hear back next week at some point one way or the other. 

• Like 4

The roller coaster continues.  You are having one impressively eventful year.  Sounds like the interview went well :-)

Dojo is therapy sometimes.  Glad you had a great night at class.