• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix Really Doesn't Know What's Going On

On 7/29/2016 at 4:12 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Went to the Cape yesterday to see a friend and his Parents who had that beach house. I am quite pink, but not terribly burned. Though a side effect of going to visit a bunch of people who are functionally family is I moved very little and ate a lot of shit. Enough that my stomach hates me. I did swim over a quarter of a mile in the ocean, though. That was cool. Forgot how much I like to swim. 

In bad news, I've heard nothing from the company I interviewed at last Thursday (the 8 hour interview). It doesn't give me much hope. But two other people interviewed, they probably need to check their references, and they potentially learned where the company would be moving to. Plus one of the largest microbiome companies posted this morning that their phase 2 clinical trial failed. Since this company was the start of the microbiome boom, this is going to have a MAJOR effect on all the industry positions around the area in the field. Their stock fell by 75% this morning once the study posted. 

My my life just became more difficult in one fell swoop. >.<

Glad the beach time went well!  

Aren't they going to reevaluate and retest?  I mean, isn't failure pretty common in experimental anything?  Try, fail, adjust, try again.  Surely they'll figure it out, right?  

Heya RP.

*hugs* on all the bleh news stuff, but also *hugs* on all the cool stuff you're doing.     Lots of monking, and activity and adulting going on.

Plus Company.

tumblr_inline_nax5ktjehD1s1n0vq.gif

12ed5a81a4ea8f7102090dc787ec602b.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Heya RP.

*hugs* on all the bleh news stuff, but also *hugs* on all the cool stuff you're doing.     Lots of monking, and activity and adulting going on.

Plus Company.

tumblr_inline_nax5ktjehD1s1n0vq.gif

12ed5a81a4ea8f7102090dc787ec602b.jpg

QFT.

Also, for cool MCU gifs. 

Didn't get the job from the 8 hour interview and I'm kind of stuck at my parent's place for the night. Not exactly the scenario I like for getting less than ideal information. 

Sigh. 

And  D this is why I suspect I'll be stuck in an unemployment void for 6 months. 

3 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Didn't get the job from the 8 hour interview and I'm kind of stuck at my parent's place for the night. Not exactly the scenario I like for getting less than ideal information. 

Sigh. 

And  D this is why I suspect I'll be stuck in an unemployment void for 6 months. 

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job but it's their loss. Something better will come your way.  Just focus and the good and forget about the bad otherwise a great opportunity might be missed. 

Interviews blow. It's a good time though to play around with your soft skills. Walk in there and try out different personas, see what you like, what people respond to. Worst case, no change, best case, new gig.

• Like 1

I've been eating like shut for a week and I can feel it. 

I'm softer and Doughier than I like in sections I've come to associate with a bit more leanness, and my appetite just wants all the foods. And the off eating hasn't (for the most part) been unexpected or exactly unwelcome. A few days visiting a friend and his family. Helping Tinney move. Company coming in and use having an actual, proper vacation. Tomorrow night I have a cookout as well, but I may skip food on that front.

My goal is to not freak out about the most-definite-but-unconfirmed weight gain. I'm going to track my gut measurement (bit over 36 inches this morning) until it's back to normalish (35.3-35.3") before I weigh myself. Im also going to try and eat a bit stricter on the paleo/primal front. Drop a bit of dairy, up my water intake even more. And probably double down on getting physical activities done. 

Most of my *major* stressors are gone. The new roommate is moved in. The job is long gone, but I can alter myself so I can get things rolling again. I'm not homeless, I can train whenever, and lifting should definitely be making a come back. Getting my diet under control should be pretty easy. 

So, to start, I'm grilling zucchini in a balsamic truffle glaze and grilling eggplant with salt and garlic and a bit of balsamic vinegar. And for the meat, grilling a London broil steak. Two of them. That I've been marinating since this morning. It's gonna be awesome. 

Also, new roomie is a chef. I was talking to him about preparing my food. I mentioned the steaks ("You're marinating them, excellent choice for that meat.") and having to get them up to room temp before cooking. And then mentioned salting the eggplant ("You know how to cook your eggplant! Good man!"). So I'm feeling quite happy with my meager cooking ability when a professional chef says I know my stuff. :3

It's the little things that make me happy most of the time, honestly. Haha

• Like 5

Just saying hi and wishing you luck in finding the next job!!  I haven't been reading (I can't keep up with everyone) but I figured I'd hop in anyway.

Seriously, the people up there just don't know what they're missing in you, do they? Stupid companies. Stupid economy.

Still, I definitely remember what that's like. I don't miss it at all. And I remember what it's like to just want to eat all the things, especially when I threw a lot of effort into getting a job that just didn't come through.

But you're playing smart. You're on the unemployment, which means you're treating this like it's your job to get a job, which is how this is meant to work. And it sounds like you're getting a lot of interviews and you're doing them well. At this point, it's down to being a numbers game - clearing a sufficient amount of bad companies to get to the one that will understand what you offer.

Also, having a chef for a roommate is fun. You'll learn a lot about how to make eating Primal/Paleo fun. F'real.

Most of the major stressors are gone. So, this is your opportunity to buckle down before something else gets in the way. You can do this. Go to work.

On 8/5/2016 at 7:58 PM, Haikoo said:

Just saying hi and wishing you luck in finding the next job!!  I haven't been reading (I can't keep up with everyone) but I figured I'd hop in anyway.

Hi, Koo!!

Have I mentioned you're getting a biiiig hug from me at Camp?  Cuz you are.  I'll probably have to stand in line, but I'll be in it.

On 8/6/2016 at 2:22 PM, Kishi said:

Seriously, the people up there just don't know what they're missing in you, do they? Stupid companies. Stupid economy.

Still, I definitely remember what that's like. I don't miss it at all. And I remember what it's like to just want to eat all the things, especially when I threw a lot of effort into getting a job that just didn't come through.

But you're playing smart. You're on the unemployment, which means you're treating this like it's your job to get a job, which is how this is meant to work. And it sounds like you're getting a lot of interviews and you're doing them well. At this point, it's down to being a numbers game - clearing a sufficient amount of bad companies to get to the one that will understand what you offer.

Also, having a chef for a roommate is fun. You'll learn a lot about how to make eating Primal/Paleo fun. F'real.

Most of the major stressors are gone. So, this is your opportunity to buckle down before something else gets in the way. You can do this. Go to work.

Yea, it kinda sucks.  Thought I had that one in the bag, which makes it even worse.  I suspect they think I didn't fit the culture and weren't pleased they would have to pay me for my experience.  So it goes.  Another iron is still in the fire, and there are two recruiters who have jobs I'll be speaking to about this week.  Something will come of something.  Just need to regulate myself accordingly.

New roommate is mostly moved in.  He's kinda half staying here for the moment because he doesn't quite have a bed yet.  So he's half staying with his SO most nights it seems.  We still don't have internet (I'm pilfering from the upstairs neighbors), but that should be solved shortly.  Hopefully by the end of the week it'll be all set up and ready to go.  For me the craziest thing is how different the apartment looks, while still looking the same.  It's amazing what a few extra decorations can do (plants, models, artwork...) to make a place look different.  I was finally understanding art, now I need to think about OTHER things?  Damn adulting.

In other weird-but-not-terribly-weird news, I got a call from one of the dojo's board members last night asking for a favor.  So we have our dressing rooms with showers that were initially supposed to be installed by Sempai, before he started getting super busy and unable to finish the project.  Finally the board decided to hire a plumber to come in and do the work.  The catch is they don't know what day or time next week he's going to come by.  So they asked me if I could go to the dojo, let him in, babysit said dojo while he does his thing (so someone is there and the plumber doesn't steal things), and then lock up after he's done.  So I said yea.  I have nothing else to do really, so why not?  I won't have internet access on my computer while I am there, but at the moment that's not terribly different from my apartment, right?

Went to class this morning, did two hours, and then bolted to go get some clothes shopping done.  Ugh.  Still hate it.  But I managed to get some workout gear that I apparently sorely needed.  By which I mean Company made fun of me every time I wore some things.  I figure I need some extra stuff to wear to camp, anyway, so it's all good.

Now I'm home and relaxing.  I ate a lot of crap at a cookout last night, so I'm kinda-sorta-not-quite fasting.  I had some watermelon and a banana this morning before aikido, and then I had a few carrots this afternoon.  I want to wait until 6 or so before I have a proper-sized dinner.  That'll be a 21-ish hour fast.  Then go back to my usual 16-8ish schedule.  I just feel really blah about my body after eating crappy for the last week.  Which is stupid, but it's there.

Notes for the week:

Monday: Lifting, aikido, talk to a recruiter

Tuesday: Walk?, Plumber at dojo?, Aikidox2, job hunt

Wednesday: Stairs, Apply for jobs, lift?, aikido, Plumber at dojo?

Thursday: Lift, aikido x2, contact search?, friend comes in.

Friday: Ruck/long hike, yoga, light job hunt, chill with friend?

Hokay.  Time to get back to order.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2016 at 4:36 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

I've been eating like shut for a week and I can feel it. 

So, to start, I'm grilling zucchini in a balsamic truffle glaze and grilling eggplant with salt and garlic and a bit of balsamic vinegar. And for the meat, grilling a London broil steak. Two of them. That I've been marinating since this morning. It's gonna be awesome. 

Also, new roomie is a chef. I was talking to him about preparing my food. I mentioned the steaks ("You're marinating them, excellent choice for that meat.") and having to get them up to room temp before cooking. And then mentioned salting the eggplant ("You know how to cook your eggplant! Good man!"). So I'm feeling quite happy with my meager cooking ability when a professional chef says I know my stuff. :3

I was going to comment in solidarity of garbage eating. Last week was bad for me as well but I've been pulling myself back on track

Then I saw you going on about your truffle glaze and was going to ask how long you've been cooking because it doesn't seem like you from a couple years ago who even consider eggplant with truffle glaze, but I may be misremembering.

Then you mentioned that your new roomie is a chef and I got all excited for you. This could be a great opportunity for you. You'll also have the opportunity to over eat if you're not careful but you could take your cooking to a new level as well.

• Like 1

Oh, the me of a few years ago would at least TRY the tuffle-oil-glazed eggplant. I just wouldn't have tried cooking it, is all. I wouldn't really trust myself to know how. I'm definitely going to try and pick my roommate's brain a bit, though. He probably won't mind. Haha

So, I did what I said I wasn't going to do, and weighed myself this morning. It's no good, but also not terrible - 205 pounds after a solid week of eating poorly and little activity. I don't like being that high right now when I was SO close to my goals, but it's also good that my body seems to have decided that 205 is the set point now, rather than the 211 it used to be. So a victory there. 

Now ow I just have a slight issue of I have 6 weeks to lose 6 pounds. Welp. I need to get cracking.  

Sorry for dragging you down, O Karmic Twin of Mine. Some old recurring issues cropped up and dragged me down off my good place and dumped me in a gutter for the past week and a half or so (it seems like so much longer...), so I have also been eating terribly, not paying attention, and generally not doing anything good except for making it to class sometimes.

Here's hoping your six-weeks-to-deadline goes better than mine is currently :/

1 hour ago, Kyellan said:

Sorry for dragging you down, O Karmic Twin of Mine. Some old recurring issues cropped up and dragged me down off my good place and dumped me in a gutter for the past week and a half or so (it seems like so much longer...), so I have also been eating terribly, not paying attention, and generally not doing anything good except for making it to class sometimes.

Here's hoping your six-weeks-to-deadline goes better than mine is currently :/

Dammit, Kyellan, stop throwing me off my game! 

:P

Hope things go better for you, bud.  We can get back on the wagon, we've done it before and we can do it again.  It's weird how those slip ups throw us now, right?  Five pounds back in the day was meh.  Now we go slightly mad over it.  But we know the remedy, so that's a plus, right?

Related, I just deleted a huge rant about body positivity.  The short version is "People should love their bodies, but stop trying to claim regulating yourself is an impossible task and that eating ungodly amounts of food each day is healthy and has no impact on your health."

Love your body because it can do awesome things.  But also realize that sometimes your body can be more awesome if you put a little effort into it. (It's one of my pet peeves to listen to people who claim weight loss/diet management/exercise is impossible, so why bother trying.  Usually paired with someone commenting that I don't know what it's like.  *eyeroll* )

Totally unrelated, talked to a recruiter this morning.  I applied for a job on the fly last week, despondently after hearing back from the 8 hour interview place.  Turns out the job I picked is for the same company I backed out of an interview on back in April when I got an offer from the failed Start Up.  So I'm now interested in how things turn out.  Also tomorrow morning I have to be at the dojo by 8AM to let the plumber in.  No internet, so I'll probably just have a book and my computer to play around with.  I'm okay with this.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Hi, Koo!!

Have I mentioned you're getting a biiiig hug from me at Camp?  Cuz you are.  I'll probably have to stand in line, but I'll be in it.

You had not mentioned, but perhaps I shall have to make a hugging booth :D

• Like 1

So. No Man's Sky dropped today. I've been watching this game for three years. I played two hours before dragging myself off the couch to go to the dojo for class, and was very tempted to do a single class so I could get home to play more. 

Yea. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably a good thing I have no job right now. Also tomorrow is probably going to be all NMS instead of proper adulting. But I'm going to call it adulting. Because self-care is adulting, right?

• Like 4

Oh. Also, I started playing the clarinet again (poorly). And played with some photo editing software to make my pictures more prettier. I'll post some later, and hide all music videos from your ears so they don't bleed. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Oh. Also, I started playing the clarinet again (poorly). And played with some photo editing software to make my pictures more prettier. I'll post some later, and hide all music videos from your ears so they don't bleed. 

People have been talking about no man's sky forever. I was surprised to learn that it had just come out. I have to admit that from all i've heard, they've made big promises that will be hard to fulfill.

• Like 1

Haha, I have been kind of worried about NMS suffering from super-hype. I'll probably pick it up sometime around Christmas because it's pretty much single player anyway and I don't have that GOTTA BE WHERE THE PEOPLE ARE fomo for it. 

13 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Ermigerd! I played clarinet in HS! (Haven't touched it in YEARS though....)

I hear you on recovering after a bad week. It sounds like this week you will be doing all the adulting. So long as you play NMS away from food, you can stretch out your IF time a lot.

Good luck on the next round of interviews!

• Like 1