Anim Trudges Along

Anim07734

The plain had narrowed with his focus, and Anim now walked a high plateau.  The cliffs on either side offered a painful fall if he strayed too far, but there was still plenty of safe room on this path.  His chosen landmarks had moved slightly closer, as had several beyond them, but still required more effort to reach.  A few potholes had indicated areas for improvement on his current route, but the basic plan was solid and would support him for a while longer.

Sticking to a plan worked pretty well last challenge, so I'm just going to refine the things that didn't work as well as I'd like and keep going.

My current shiney objects are:

-a good free handstand - "Good" is currently defined as long enough for pictures as Nightcrawler.

-sub-30in waist

The deadline for both of these is Dragoncon (2Sep), as continually improving my Nightcrawler costume is my biggest motivation right now.

To get there, I'll be working on the following for this challenge:

Weekly Workout Plan:  To allow myself some flexibility, these can be completed on any day, so long as I don't do two of the same thing in a row.

-2-3 strength workouts (up from 2) - warmup (typically 1.5mi run); 5+min handstand practice; WORKOUT A/B; ~10min cooldown (stretching/yoga)

--A- AMRAP pullups, AMRAP pushups, AMRAP shrimp squats, 1min rest x5

--B- AMRAP dips, AMRAP inverted rows (legs raised), AMRAP pistols, 1min rest x5

-1-2 sprint/sports workouts (down from 2) - I've got 3 intramural soccer games this month, plus my office meets for pickup games Friday mornings, if we don't have meetings; my other option will be 100m sprint, 100m walk x10 with a 800m+ jog to warmup and 400m walk to cooldown followed by stretching/yoga

-1+ strenuous yardwork for at least an hour (active rest days, plus I have to get projects done)

Sleep management:  Trying to set bed and wake up times hasn't been working, so I'm going to try something different:

-30+ min of reading before bed

Diet Control:  I hate calorie tracking, but I've come up with some guidelines that keep me on track when I stick to them:

-Weight and waist measurements once a week

-Packed lunch 4 times a week

-Cook dinner at least twice a week (this is the only new thing, I'm hoping it will help reduce the temptation to go out to eat on the weekends)

Complete projects, at least 2. I didn't manage to actually finish anything last challenge, since I picked a bunch of large projects, so I'll reduce the number for this month.  I reserve the right to add to the list, but only upon completion of at least one project.

-Collect and frame family pictures

-Front flowerbed remodel (my driveway is now blocked by ~7 cubic yards of rock, so this is even more of a priority :witless: )

-Grifter gun props

-Kid Flash costume (I'm too detail oriented to stick with a basic costume when I can make the full thing :witless: )

And in the interest of creating some continuity: here's my last challenge.

• Like 4

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Following for Handstand awesomeness!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Here for handstands and awesome project pictures. ;) 

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Weekly measurements:

Weight: 147lb

Waist: 30.75in

%BF: ~14.5%

Not what I was hoping for, but after back-to-back birthday parties last weekend, I'll take it.  Workouts were a little lackluster last week as well, since I took advantage of bi-week to get other things done.  I may have to update my workout plan to get some of the rock currently blocking my driveway moved faster. :playful:

Where are you all at with handstands?  I've been through most of the progressions, if you need help figuring them out.

• Like 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Following again for pictures, story, and awesomeness. 

On 7/18/2016 at 11:47 AM, Anim07734 said:

Where are you all at with handstands?  I've been through most of the progressions, if you need help figuring them out.

I feel like I've been stuck on the "stop using the wall for balance" for a couple months now - still can't manage more than a couple seconds before falling back to it. Any advice? 

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

23 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I feel like I've been stuck on the "stop using the wall for balance" for a couple months now - still can't manage more than a couple seconds before falling back to it. Any advice? 

Unfortunately, at that point, it's just practice.  Personally, I skipped the "start against a wall then move away from it" step, since my limiting factor is balance more than strength.  But I've been trying to get a free handstand for about a year now, so I probably shouldn't have (there just aren't any good walls at my preferred workout location).

Last month I  finally started getting a couple second holds.  The trick for me was to set aside ~5min before each workout to just practice handstands.  I've made most of my progress since I started doing that (instead of just working it in when I remembered :witless: ).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

Unfortunately, at that point, it's just practice.  Personally, I skipped the "start against a wall then move away from it" step, since my limiting factor is balance more than strength.  But I've been trying to get a free handstand for about a year now, so I probably shouldn't have (there just aren't any good walls at my preferred workout location).

Last month I  finally started getting a couple second holds.  The trick for me was to set aside ~5min before each workout to just practice handstands.  I've made most of my progress since I started doing that (instead of just working it in when I remembered :witless: ).

The least-appreciated advice ever on any topic. :) Yeah, I've been just giving it one shot per circuit - should probably pull it out of the circuit and focus on it beforehand. Thank you, and congrats on the hold progress! 

Oh, I probably should have mentioned earlier, but an important part of the transition from wall handstands to free handstands is learning to bail out when you start fall backwards.  I'm a fan of the pirouette style, but if you google tutorials there are a couple different methods.

• Like 1

I want to learn handstands so bad but I have no safe area at home to do them. Still too chicken to try them anywhere someone might see me, lol. 

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

3 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I want to learn handstands so bad but I have no safe area at home to do them. Still too chicken to try them anywhere someone might see me, lol. 

suess-be.jpg

One of the more family-friendly quotes for my views on dealing with people. :playful:

Can you clear some space against your house in the backyard?  Or move the furniture out of the way in a large-ish room?

If you're just starting out, the first step is declined planks (with arms extended), so there's not much risk of falling.  Just walk your feet up the wall while walking your hands closer, to a point where you're comfortable, hold for a few seconds, then walk back down.  Combine that with pike pushups to build the arm strength and just work on slowly getting closer to a vertical hold.

Around the time you start worrying about tipping over backwards, it's time to flip around and learn to kick up into a handstand, with your back to the wall.

• Like 2

I LOVE that quote! And I use it a lot in my day to day living but doing something that I've never tried before or have very limit experience in and failing is not something I want to bring to the attention of others. I'm still working on this sort of courage, small steps right now. :) 

Most of my walls either have something on them, are at weird angle, in hallways or have large furniture in front of them. I finally cleared some space upstairs but it's in the hallway and if I fall I might fall down the stairs, not really safe. The only other spot is in the 2nd bedroom where all my craft supplies are. It currently looks like a hurricane from Michael's or Jo-Anne's went through it but it has 1 wall that has nothing on it. I just need to clean up some room on the floor. 

Currently my max regular plank is about 25 seconds, at what point do you move onto a decline plank?

• Like 1

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

The only recommendation I've ever seen was "when you can do this step for ~30sec move to the next," but I've never really stuck to that.  My workouts don't tend to be that organized. :witless:  Once I feel comfortable with a movement, I start figuring out how to do the next step in the chain.

• Like 2

Weekly measurements:

Waist: 31.125in

%BF: ~15.5%

Not entirely sure what went wrong last week, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with too much candy every night and another party on the weekend.  So back to calorie counting for a while.  It sucks, but it works...

Probably didn't help that I did the mini workout before modification, then moved rocks for an hour.  Workouts for the remainder of the week consisted of "can I walk normally yet?  No?  Well how do I fix that?"

Today was back to normal though.  It was (barely) cool enough to get in a good run, then handstand practice followed by pullups and squats.  Combined with yesterday's effort, I'm still 30 pulls short of completing the Deep Jungle quest, but my arms are dead, so I'll have to finish tomorrow.

I'm also going to be rethinking my "workout plan," since I'm not sticking to it anyway.  For now, I'll aim for 4+ workouts a week, including yard work of an hour+, and adjust from there.  And at least 3 handstand practice sessions a week.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Probably didn't help that I did the mini workout before modification, then moved rocks for an hour.  Workouts for the remainder of the week consisted of "can I walk normally yet?  No?  Well how do I fix that?"

Youhave my sympathies. That was surprisingly hard, before the modifications. Glad you're back to normal, as it were. I've seen people talking about darabee.com for daily workouts, is that something that would help you, since it changes regularly?

• Like 1

I've looked at Darebee a couple times and never been able to find a workout I like.  As was stated in the guild chat, all of their progressions are "do more reps," which isn't what I'm looking for.

And my problem isn't with having a program that changes regularly or not, it's that no program automatically adjusts to "what do I feel like doing today?" :playful:

• Like 1

So the big thing I'm learning from this mini is that I need to turn my workouts into play sessions again.  I used to do things like quadrupedal gallop all the time (it's great to show off as Nightcrawler :playful: ), but stopped because it wasn't fitting into my organized workouts.  Doing them last night, I still know how, and had no trouble with form, but I'm missing all the calluses I got when learning.  My hands are not happy with me today. :(

In other news, Kid Flash is coming along nicely.  Sewing spandex is a pain, but I'm getting the hang of it.  Surprisingly, hand sewing seems to be working much better than machine, though it's slower of course.  Picked up paint for the goggles and ears that matches the fabric better and the Worbla came in beginning of the week.  So I think I now have everything I need to finish, though I've thought that before. :witless:

• Like 2

Weekly measurements:

Waist: 30.875in

%BF: ~14.8%

Moving in the right direction, despite a couple parties over the weekend.  I'm spending 3 days in Reno with family for my uncle's 60th this week, so going to stick with the calorie tracking and try not to go too overboard on the buffets.

Only got 2 handstand sessions in last week, though the rest of my workouts went well.

Finished digging the first section of landscaping area, so now I have to transplant a waist-high palm and fill in the rock before moving to the next section.

My first try at the ears for Kid Flash didn't work out, so I picked up some new supplies on my way home from work.  I don't have a lot of experience working with Worbla, so I'm learning as I go.  In this case, I needed a sturdier frame so it'll maintain shape while I stretch the Worbla.  I'm liking their new Mesh Art though.  It's working great for the mask frame, which I just finished.  I still need to add the magnets (for the goggle and ear attachment) and paint it before adding the spandex to make sure it matches the suit.  But it looks like I'll have to shave first, so the jaw fits right and I'm in no hurry to do that. :playful:  Still plenty of other things to work on.

• Like 2

OOO Looking forward to your work with Worbla, I'm curious as to read a firsthand experience.

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Weekly measurements:

Weight: 144.5lb

%BF: ~14.7%

Either my calorie estimates were completely off during vacation (nothing was actually listed, so I had to guess, but I only came in under maintenance once) or I walked a lot more than I thought I had.  I actually made it to the hotel fitness center the first morning to find out it was closed for repairs, and didn't work up the motivation to do anything else the rest of the trip.

I'll try to post some progress pictures today or tomorrow, but so far I'm liking Worbla.  Their Mesh Art is working really well for the mask frame and the Finest Art (their original) seems to be sticking well enough to hold the magnets in place.  The working temperature for the Mesh Art is also low enough to press to my face for shaping with only mild discomfort (the other varieties are too hot for that).

I'm using Black Art for the ears, over a base of plastic hemispheres (Christmas ornament halves) and craft foam.  It's a thinner variety with a smoother surface texture that's good for detail work, but doesn't provide as much support as the other varieties.  It gets a little hot at it's working temperature, but stays pliable for a good bit.  I highly recommend getting some clay working tools for shaping, both for easier molding and to save your fingers. :playful:

• Like 2

Weekly measurements:

Weight: 144.5lb

%BF: ~14.7%

No change from last week, which doesn't feel right (I thought I had managed to cut some), but I had trouble getting a good waist measurement this morning.  I may try again tomorrow morning, or I may just wait till next week.

No pictures yet, as I've either been too busy working on projects or too busy avoiding all projects. :playful:  I'll try to get some tonight or tomorrow as I madly scramble to finish costumes by the end of the month.

• Like 2

All of my projects at work are stuck in "I'll get that done as soon as you get back to me with an answer" loops.  So I have a lot of time staring at a computer screen waiting to see if that'll happen today/this week/this month/before the end of the year.

Eventually, some of them will move into the "why aren't you done yet?" stage, where I spend a lot of time out of the office enjoying my job.

If I'm lucky, they'll actually answer all the necessary questions before we get there. :playful:

• Like 1