Princess Pineapple Turns Up and Makes an Effort

So this 4WC is about my prep for the Great North Run, the world's largest half marathon. 

1. Run four times per week.

My plan says that I should run between 3-4.5 miles every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.  Depending where I am in the plan will determine whether it's an easy, steady or tempo run.  On Sundays I should do my long slow run. 

I will allow myself to alter the days slightly if necessary but will do the four runs.  

In addition to my training runs I am leading two beginners groups and one intermediate group each week, and I run with a private beginner runner twice per week.  These runs are either very slow or very short so I won't include those in my plan.

2. Cross train twice per week.

I recently saw a sports therapist who said that the knee pain I had been having was due to weaknesses in my quads and glutes so I will cross train at least twice per week to help strengthen those muscles and my core.  I will mix this up a bit.  I can do some exercises or some yoga at home, or I can visit my gym and train there or have a swim.

3. Keep hydrated.

I have finally given up the Diet Coke!  Big achievement for me.  I am currently having investigations to see if I have interstitial cystitis so I now only drink water or an occasional pear and blueberry juice as that's the only fluid that doesn't cause a flare.  It's boring drinking the water though so I find I only drink it when I feel thirsty, which is when I'm on the way to dehydration.

I will aim for two litres a day.  I will have a 500ml bottle four times a day, breakfast and through the morning, lunch through the afternoon, during the evening meal and in the evening before bed.  

I will drink an additional litre the day before a long run or race as I know I perform better if I do this.

I am going on holiday to Spain for the final week of the challenge so that's going to really test me!  I managed to run on holiday last year but I was only doing twenty minutes at a time then.  My long run during that week is 12 miles so that will be tough with the change of climate!   My husband is also very unhappy about me running in a foreign unknown place alone.  I have checked on google maps and found a 2.5 mile route around where we are staying so I am also going get bored of that route very quickly!

• Like 1

The water goal is a good one.  Planning exactly when you will be drinking each half liter is smart!  That way you aren't stuck trying to drink a liter or more right before bed, which is not a good plan (I know from experience).

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

56 minutes ago, Pavowski said:

Go Pineapple -- awesome that you're leading running groups these days. All miles are good miles, though!

I love leading my groups!  I have come along a bit, haven't I? I thought I'd look back and see where I was a year ago.

From a post on 14 July 2015, my first 6WC.
"The run was great tonight because after the first 10 minute run I did not want to stop. I wanted to carry on, I felt fine. My breathing was very comfortable and I even started to build up my pace. If I'd been alone I would've continued to run but I don't think that would be right in the group. After the walking part I found it harder to get my rhythm. That's promising for next week though as I'll be running for 20 minutes"

I had run for 10 minutes, walked for 4 and then run for 10 as part of a beginners group.  How happy was I?  I just checked Garmin Connect and my pace 13:09 min/mile for the first 10 and 12:50 min/mile for the second 10!  Oh my God, I was so pleased with myself.  Back then, I wouldn't have believed that I could run a half marathon at a much faster pace than that when I was injured!

Its a good job this challenge hasnt started yet.  My interstitial cystitis (if that is what it is) has flared up so I don't know if I will be well enough to run on Sunday.  I won't be happy if I can't run.  I have done 270 steps today.  All of them between my bathroom and my bed.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Week 1 Day 1

Today hasn't gone as planned.  I was due to do a 10km race at the Olympic Stadium but I still didn't feel well enough.  I was tempted to start the race and see how it went but it was a two hour journey there, a lunchtime start and it's the hottest day of the year so far.  Sensible head told me to rest today and not push it so I can be well enough for my GNR training which is my priority.  I stayed at home, had a lie in and followed my running groups progress online.

Being ill has made me appreciate the friendships that I have made in my group.  I posted on Facebook that I wouldn't be attending and wished them all luck.  I received lots of messages and texts from people in the group with get well soon messages.  One of the girls even picked me up a goody bag from the race.  She thought I deserved it as I'd paid.  I don't think I do as didn't run it!   It was a lovely gesture on her part though.

On track with my water.  I will drink it all by bed time.

Goal 1: 0/4 runs complete

Goal 2: 0/2 cross training sessions complete

Goal 3: 0.5/7 water consumed

I like your goals! It's a bummer being sick, but I think you were right not to push it too hard. :( It would stink to make it worse or injure yourself and then make your goals even tougher to accomplish. Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing how it goes.

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 2

Technically Monday's are a rest day for me, but I was torn between catching up or staying on my plan.  I decided to stay on plan because playing catch up never works for me as I over do it.

So I did rest but I had a private client.  She is only running for up to a maximum of five minutes at a time so it was actually a nice way to break myself back in and check that I wasn't broken.  Running felt good, despite our record breaking UK temperatures at the moment.  I didn't feel worried and it was quite comfortable, although I only ran for 16 minutes in a 24 minute period, and at a slower pace than I usually run.

No cross training either because I was busy playing catch up with the housework, gardening and my job!

Water all consumed.  I did drink more than 2 litres because of the weather!  I was constantly filling my water bottle.

I plan to get back on track for the rest of the week now.  I am having a minor procedure done on Friday though so that may affect what I can do over the weekend.  I am tempted to get my long run done on Thursday, just in case I cannot do it over the weekend.

• Like 1

Good luck on that water goal...that's a really important one :)

Also good choice on the resting... I believe that listening to your body should be the number 1 rule in every training...(I also think that's why I'm the only one in my marathon group getting through without a injury so far...)

• Like 1

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

Week 1 Day 3

So I was totally back on form.  Tuesday should've been a 3 mile steady run.  I woke up and decided to have a leg day at the gym.

I only spent 30 minutes in the gym, but did barbell squats, leg curls and leg extensions.  It was really busy and couldn't get on the other equipment I wanted to use.  The air con was rubbish so I went into the studio and went to a Pilates class.  The air conditioning was great and after the Pilates class I stayed and did a yoga class too.  I definitely need to count that as a cross training session!

i was a little bit cheeky and I made my Improvers class do a Kenyan hills session and then a short run.  I joined in with them so managed to get my 3 steady miles in that way.

Water was easily done today too.  

I'm definitely going to rejig my schedule for the rest of the week so I get my long run in before my investigations on Friday.

Goal 1: 1/4 runs complete

Goal 2: 1/2 cross training sessions complete

Goal 3: 3/7 water consumed

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 4

Our British level heatwave continues which meant that all the beginners at my running group cried off last night.  It ended up with 4 of the experienced runners, who are recovering from injury, turning up.  We had a discussion and decided to run for 30 minutes at our own paces and meet at the end.  That was unexpected faster than I expected run.

I did have ridiculous DOMS in my calves from Tuesday epic cross train and Kenyan Hills so I didn't cross train.

Water was nice and easy to do today.  I only struggle to drink when it's cooler weather.  My eldest son took me out for lunch yesterday.  As usual I ordered water with meal, however I swallowed my food the wrong way and I had finished my drink.  I had to take a swig of my sons drink, he had a Coke.  I realised how much the drink masks the flavour of food.  For over forty years I have been drinking flavoured drinks with meals.  Having a month or two of only drinking water has made me realise the difference!

Goal 1: 2/4 runs complete

Goal 3: 4/7 water consumed

• Like 1
16 hours ago, noxiousGnome said:

Curious what are:  Kenyan Hills?

It where you run up and down hills at tempo pace for a fixed period of time (we did 3 minutes) followed by a recovery run (we did 2 minutes) and repeat as necessary.  I quite like doing hills of any sort in training.

Week 1 Day 5

The intention was to get up early as it was the first day of the school holidays.  I didn't go out to run until 10am and the temperature was in the 90's already.  This is not what Brits are used to.   I had planned to run 8 miles but only ran 5.5 very slow miles,  I even had to throw in a walking break.   I wasn't really in the mood for a run when I started anyway but I tried to go for it.  I had  to remind myself that I had been ill a few days ago and that the weather was not the norm so 5.5 miles was still decent.  

I had booked onto Pilates again in the evening, and was going to hit the gym too.  My DOMS from Tuesday have gone.  Unfortunately I forgot to make childcare arrangements so that plan went out of the window.  My husband was out doing a 3.5 mile race in London last night.  It's only his second proper race and he ran it in 36 minutes.  He said it was really congested in places.  He saved up for a last half mile sprint finish but it was all single file so he had to jog the last part!  He was not a happy man!  He has a really good natural pacing ability, always slowest mile first, increasing speed until the final 500 m and then he bombs it in.  I'm very jealous.

Water, bang on track.

Im due to have some investigative procedures at the hospital on Friday so I don't know how I will be for the rest of the week.  I only have an easy 3 mile run planned and I can swim as a cross training session so I maybe ok.  I'll take it easy and see how I am.

Goal 1: 3/4 runs complete

Goal 3: 5/7 water consumed

• Like 2

Week 1 Days 6 & 7

My plan was to go for a run before I had to be at the hospital for 11 am on Friday.  Thursday night I had a voicemail to say come in for 9am.  One of the machines was broken so they would be only be doing half of the tests :apologetic:.  That threw me mentally so I didn't go for a run on Friday morning.  

I went for the other tests and had it done  (twice, the catheter was not inserted correctly first time) but the procedure had to be abandoned because the computer failed to record the results and kept freezing.  Frustrated and upset are just of the words I used.  I have got to go back when all the equipment is working for the investigations.  Meanwhile I am no nearer to a diagnosis or any treatment.  

On Saturday I wanted to do family things so I didn't run or cross train.  I wasn't emotionally up for it.  

We we decided to do a bit of geocaching and Pokemon hunting.  We were better at the Pokemon hunting than the geocaching.  We went down to the local river and found none of the three caches we looked for, although we had better success on the way home and found two.  They were both extra small ones so no gifts to swap, just the log to sign. My ten year old loved it but the husband didn't have the patience to look.

Water has been easy to do again.  It's only really a problem if the weather isn't so warm.

Goal 1: 3/4 runs complete

Goal 3: 7/7 water consumed

Week 1: 11/13

Not as successful as I had hoped, but I lost last Sunday to illness and had a day in hospital so I won't be too hard on myself.  It's better that I missed the activities then tried to cram them into the other days and overtax myself.

I have made a schedule for Week 2 so I should be back on track.  

• Like 1

Don't be to hard on yourself, sounds like a solid week one to me.

Also nice that you found geocaching and pokemon go. It's a good ay to get yourself moving and find awesome places in your neighborhood. :)

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

On 24 July 2016 at 10:38 AM, Schaengel said:

Don't be to hard on yourself, sounds like a solid week one to me.

Also nice that you found geocaching and pokemon go. It's a good ay to get yourself moving and find awesome places in your neighborhood. :)

Thanks.  I'm pleased with it really, I think.

Week 2 Day 1 

After a big barbecue lunch I forced myself to go to running club and ran an easy 4.5 miles as per my training plan. It was really muggy but I ran with a girl who is a bit slower than me so it wasn't too uncomfortable. 

I didn't do anything else because I was too full after the barbecue.  I did drink all of my water though.

Week 2 Day 2

I was determined to stick to schedule as the children aren't at school at the moment and I find it really difficult to fit everything in.

Today is a non running day so I decided to go to Pilates today.  It was a session called Trigger Point Pilates and it was brilliant.  I felt so stretched out.  I was at least two inches taller when I left the class.  It was a cover teacher running the class, but she is having a permanent course starting in September so I will definitely be going to those each week.

Water easily done.

Goal 1: 4/8 runs complete

Goal 2: 2/4 cross training sessions complete

Goal 3: 9/14 water consumed

• Like 1

Week 2 Day 3

It's really quiet on these boards but I will keep on posting regardless, like some sort of loon.

I worked in the morning and after lunch took my youngest swimming.  I'm not a big fan of swimming but did swim 600m.  The pool is only 20m long and was quite busy.  I alternated between a fast (for me) length and a slow length.  The little man only swam 100m and spent the rest of the time doing handstands, somersaults and balancing on floats.

I didn't actually hate the swimming as much as I usually do but I forgot my shampoo so my hair was a big tangled messed of bleached blonde when I got home and it took about an hour to sort out.  That's when I remembered why I don't like swimming.

I ran 3 easy miles yesterday evening too.  I've got to run 10 miles tomorrow and I can't decide where to go.  I hate running a loop from my house.  I much prefer a point to point, usually getting my husband to drop me off 10 miles, or whatever, from home, so I just run home.   I think I have done every decent route from home to death.  He's not around tomorrow so today I will plan something new.

Im not sure how much water but it wasn't enough because I woke up this morning feeling dehydrated.  I can count 1 litre and a glass of water but that's it.  Try harder today.

Goal 1: 5/8 runs complete

Goal 2: 3/4 cross training sessions complete

• Like 1

It is really quiet around here lately. I'm not helping much, either, so I'm glad you're here!

Good to see you doing well with your goals, especially given everything else you've got going on. Good luck with your long run – I hope it isn't too hot for you!

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

On 28 July 2016 at 6:18 AM, SaltyDragon said:

It is really quiet around here lately. I'm not helping much, either, so I'm glad you're here!

Good to see you doing well with your goals, especially given everything else you've got going on. Good luck with your long run – I hope it isn't too hot for you!

Thank you.  Maybe they'll promote me to queen of the board.

Week 2 Day 4

Today should've been a cross training day so I went to a Pilates class again.  I wasn't intending to make Pilates my cross training session of choice but I have really gone off lifting.   They've refitted our gym and the free weights area is a bit cramped.  They have so much cardio equipment in there that the people who lift are struggling.  Such a shame. 

I managed a 2.5 miles run with my running group last night.  It was very slow though as I ran with an older lady who hasn't been running long.  I don't like leaving people at the back of the group.  A run is a run though.

Water was ok today.  I didn't measure again and I don't think I got two litres in but I don't feel dehydrated.  

Goal 1: 6/8 runs complete

Goal 2: 4/4 cross training sessions complete

I got a new date for my rescheduled investigations.  Not until the end of August unfortunately.  They did have earlier dates but I am on holiday.  Typically.

Long run is scheduled for today. I have downloaded some podcasts which I have never done before.  Mainly comedy podcasts to see if that is better for me to run to than music or nothing. I will report back!

• Like 1

Week 2 Day 5

I woke up and headed out for my ten miler.  I took a new route that I'd previously avoided as its all hills.  Except when I ran it it wasn't that bad at all.  Quite undulating but nothing too steep, I will definitely go that way again.  I got on well listening to a comedy podcast instead of music, although I think I looked slightly deranged running through the countryside laughing.

My pace was slower than usual.  I'm a bit of a one (slow) speed person.  I run about 10 min/miles whatever I am doing so I have been trying to work on that.  I used a pace calculator in which you enter your best race times and it works out your LSR, tempo and steady paces.  It turns out that I run too quickly on training compared to my race pace.  I've tried hard to slow it down but that means I'm practically walking.   It seems strange to run slower so that my races will be faster but hopefully it should work come race day.

Not proper strength training today but I did go and visit a new physiotherapist.  I have one leg very slightly shorter than the other and scoliosis since childhood.  You can't notice when I'm dressed but it obviously affects my gait.  I only went in to make an appointment but he gave me a quick once over, I have to go back next week with my running shoes so he can check me out proper and help keep me on the right track fitness wise.  With marathon training to think about soon I want to stay injury free.

Water was easily done as it was warm yesterday.

Goal 1: 7/8 runs complete

Goal 2: 4/4 cross training sessions complete

Goal 3: 10/14 water consumed

• Like 1