Buy or Borrow?

Also posted in my challenge thread, but a question for y'all: Do you prefer to buy books, or borrow them?

I'm a bit conflicted over this topic, because on the one hand, I try to be responsible with money and not be such a HUGE consumerist. I also tend to not re-read books, so having them on my shelf after I've read them just seems like a waste of space, especially if my feelings about the books were "meh" or worse.

On the other hand, there are some newer books out that I have absolutely loved, and I hate thinking about the fact that some of my favorite books came from the library, and so I have never supported the author financially. I also want to recommend some of these books to friends, and it's easier to get them to read them if I just hand them to them and say READ THIS rather than them having to do the work of buying the book or seeking it out at the library.

So I'm considering implementing a policy of book buying as such:

-Buy a book if I want to read it and the library doesn't have it.

-Buy a book if you've read it, loved it, and want everyone to read it so you can thrust it upon others.

-Generally don't buy a book that is the first in the series of something you've never read before, but maybe buy a book you've already read if it's in a series that you love.

Does that make sense? I figure in general, I might spend a bit more on books if I insist on buying everything that I love, or want to read that the library doesn't have, but what's on my shelf will be more valuable to me, and if I buy something that the library doesn't have and I don't love it, I can always donate it.

• Like 1

That sounds like a reasonable policy.

I like series, myself, and I quickly found out they just took up too much space on my shelves. I've never reread an entire series, but I've reread the first book in a series. It gives me that sense of "this is where it all started" nostalgia. So, I reduced my collection to just the first books in each of the series I keep up on.

Mostly I read from the library, to save money and space. If I do fancy a series I may get the first book to put on my shelf. I've also found a love of fictional 'encyclopedias'. For example: The Hollows Insider. The book is a sort of collection of character bios, timelines, even fictional recipes that appear in the Dead Witch Walking series by Kim Harrison. I have a similar encyclopedia for Piers Anthony's Xanth universe, a woefully outdated Vampire Companion for Anne Rice's vampire chronicles, and I'm about to order The World of Fire and Ice (for Game of Thrones... I've read all the books and most of the side stories, so I feel justified). This lets me feel like I DO have the whole series on my shelf, though it's in one book, and I can crawl through it looking for some fact or bit I've forgotten without rereading an entire series.

• Like 1

WeyrCat Level 7, 2.
Neutral Gallifreyan Ranger - Sub-Class Druid.
STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 4 CHA: 4
Challenge: 7. Rerolling! Run. Rehydrate, Read, repeat. - 
Teams: Prismatic Fanatics
"Do all the things!"
| Quests | Fitocracy | SparkPeople | Rising Heroes |

5 minutes ago, weyrcat said:

That sounds like a reasonable policy.

I like series, myself, and I quickly found out they just took up too much space on my shelves. I've never reread an entire series, but I've reread the first book in a series. It gives me that sense of "this is where it all started" nostalgia. So, I reduced my collection to just the first books in each of the series I keep up on.

Mostly I read from the library, to save money and space. If I do fancy a series I may get the first book to put on my shelf. I've also found a love of fictional 'encyclopedias'. For example: The Hollows Insider. The book is a sort of collection of character bios, timelines, even fictional recipes that appear in the Dead Witch Walking series by Kim Harrison. I have a similar encyclopedia for Piers Anthony's Xanth universe, a woefully outdated Vampire Companion for Anne Rice's vampire chronicles, and I'm about to order The World of Fire and Ice (for Game of Thrones... I've read all the books and most of the side stories, so I feel justified). This lets me feel like I DO have the whole series on my shelf, though it's in one book, and I can crawl through it looking for some fact or bit I've forgotten without rereading an entire series.

I like the idea of having the first in the series of books for nostalgia's sake! That also makes sense if you're recommending something, since if you loan the first book to a friend and they love it, they'll find a way to read the rest without prompting, and if they don't like it, they wouldn't want the next one anyway.

One of the reasons I want some of the books that I love is my SO has a TON of books he inherited from his parents (like, probably an actual, literal, no-shit ton, if not more), and so our house is filled with these books that I have no connection to. I want just one bookshelf in my home office that's like, stuff I'm reading or my all-time favorites.

5 hours ago, calanthrophy said:

What usually happens for me is I'll read something from the library, then a few months later find myself wanting to read it again. That's usually when I buy it. There are a few authors whose stuff I'll buy sight unseen because I know I'll like pretty much anything they write.

I don't think I've ever, ever re-read a book, but I'm beginning to consider doing so. There are some favorites from my childhood and teen where all I remember is that they changed my life, and those I'll probably buy for a re-read this year or next.

4 hours ago, Cryosilver said:

I am all about used books stores and Amazon used books.  It's rare that I'll pay full cover price for a book, and if I buy something I don't like, well, I'm only out maybe $2-3 in most cases, and I can always donate it away so it doesn't take up shelf space

I've been using thriftbooks a lot lately. In general I can get a book for $3-4, and shipping is free for orders over $10. I've got a used bookstore in my town that I've been meaning to visit.

Had the same problem as you.  I read about 150 books a years and my home filled up kinda fast so i had to rethink it all.

I went with an Ereader.

It doesnt take space

Author getting paid

Way cheaper than hardcover

you spare trees

and you have 1000+ books wherever you go

Easy to buy books and download too. No need for shipping or a trip to the bookstore.

Buy some books at times anyway tho. I just love the feeling of reading a real book.

Like @Johan Ema, I also buy books on Kindle.  Very practical, for all the reasons listed (also the ability to read it on the beach)! 

I still borrow books from the library (2 different services, where I live and where I work).  Last year I did a big Kondo-style declutter and donated 4 boxes of books to charity, and despite that I still have full bookcases in almost every room...  So no, I try not to buy paper books any more.

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

I get most of my books from the library, but I'm a librarian, so...

I have been known to buy a book later if I loved it. Like, the kind of love where you hug the book when you're done and think about it randomly and talk it up to people for weeks to months after you return it. 

For my part, I still feel like I support authors because I participate in the collection development at my library. I'm still buying books, just not with my own money :P

From the standpoint of supporting an author borrowing a library book is better than getting a book used. Authors don't get any portion of used book sales but the more a book circulates at a library the more likely it will be replaced if it disappears/gets damaged/wears out. Also, most libraries have a system where you can request that they purchase a book. It's not instantaneous so there's no instant gratification, but if money is tight you could try that or interlibrary loan.

I got rid of a bunch of books when I moved. It was hard, but for the most part I don't miss them. And, I can always get another copy if I really need to. 

I am so happy this thread exists - I didn't realize other people thought about this stuff too!

Generally, I'm trying to downsize my life and get rid of clutter. To that end, I've had to make the tough choice of getting rid of books that I no longer care about. The part of me that wants to see my house transformed into a library cringes when I do this, but I've found that having a cleaner work and living space really helps clear out the mental clutter.

I used to buy books as a treat to myself (both nonfiction and fiction) but lately, I've converted to someone that borrows nearly all of my books. I have memberships at two different libraries and use them both to borrow ebooks (and occasionally real books, only because they take longer to get). Sounds old-school, I know, but libraries are really great resources and often enough they have several copies of the book I'm searching for. The only downside to this method is that sometimes you have to wait a while in order to get a new book (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child) but so long as you have things to read in the interim, it's not so bad. Plus, ebooks are great in that you don't have to physically return them - once your borrowing period is up, they automatically get returned for you. Libraries also have great audiobook selections. 

On 7/14/2016 at 10:20 AM, calanthrophy said:

What usually happens for me is I'll read something from the library, then a few months later find myself wanting to read it again. That's usually when I buy it. There are a few authors whose stuff I'll buy sight unseen because I know I'll like pretty much anything they write.

I'm the same way. I tend to borrow first and then if I'm craving another go around with the same book. I'll buy it either in hard copy or on my kindle...depending on what it's about. I typically buy those books that I know I'm going to 'mess up' with my notes in hard copy...these are typically self-help like books. Though I do have several copies of Harry Potter with my favorite quotes highlighted throughout. There's something about the feeling I get from a hard copy book that just makes me feel good :)

DA1331

Follow my Epic Quest to AWESOMENESS at https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/134137

I usually get a book from my local library (kindle, audio, or paper version) and if I really like it, I buy a copy to give away. The exception is when I'm at a used bookstore and stumble across one that comes highly recommended. I found a copy of Killer Angels in Baltimore a few days before heading to Antietam and Gettysburg, and it was totally worth the impulse buy! 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

On 7/13/2016 at 3:29 PM, Grizzy said:

Also posted in my challenge thread, but a question for y'all: Do you prefer to buy books, or borrow them?

I'm a bit conflicted over this topic, because on the one hand, I try to be responsible with money and not be such a HUGE consumerist. I also tend to not re-read books, so having them on my shelf after I've read them just seems like a waste of space, especially if my feelings about the books were "meh" or worse.

On the other hand, there are some newer books out that I have absolutely loved, and I hate thinking about the fact that some of my favorite books came from the library, and so I have never supported the author financially. I also want to recommend some of these books to friends, and it's easier to get them to read them if I just hand them to them and say READ THIS rather than them having to do the work of buying the book or seeking it out at the library.

So I'm considering implementing a policy of book buying as such:

-Buy a book if I want to read it and the library doesn't have it.

-Buy a book if you've read it, loved it, and want everyone to read it so you can thrust it upon others.

-Generally don't buy a book that is the first in the series of something you've never read before, but maybe buy a book you've already read if it's in a series that you love.

Does that make sense? I figure in general, I might spend a bit more on books if I insist on buying everything that I love, or want to read that the library doesn't have, but what's on my shelf will be more valuable to me, and if I buy something that the library doesn't have and I don't love it, I can always donate it.

I tend to buy my books when I've already read and loved something the the author has written previously, as well as the book that made me enjoy reading that author. I'm huge on supporting authors, since I'm trying to be published myself and can see just how difficult it is.

However, I agree, it can get very expensive very fast. There is a place in my town called Half Price Books, where the cost of the book is half of what it costs normally, or cheaper, so I satiate my need to buy sometimes there. Other times, I will rent from the library if I'm unsure if I'll like the book or author, or need it for a book club or something (not something I choose to read/buy on my own).

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

My NF Character | Goodreads | Twitter | My Author Site

HUMAN DRUID

Level: 1 | STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 5 | WIS 13 | CHA 5

On 9/9/2016 at 2:38 AM, skueong said:

I love borrowing fiction, and buying non-fiction. 

Reason is because I want to be able to flip through the non-fiction books and extract the actionable segments to apply to my life over and over again. 

Same here. Although there is plenty of non-fiction that is useless and plenty of fiction packed with wisdom!