Will charlomechfry level up?

charlomechfry

My overall objective really hasn't changed from the last challenge, but I did rearrange things a bit to help myself organize a more efficient and effective plan of attack.

I have cut things down to only 2 primary goals, but each involve a lot of moving parts (body parts, mental parts, mechanical parts...).

I do have high expectations, but I am also happy working my way up to achieving my goals and potential, no matter the time necessary.

Thus far, I feel I have been fairly diligent about allowing myself that time to adapt slowly in order increase my chance of success.

And now, after a pretty nasty stumble mentally, I am hoping to finally step it up to this next level that I have been eyeballing for quite some time.

Additionally, one of these days I intend to complete a nerd fitness challenge to my satisfaction.

So why not now?

As an added bonus to nailing this challenge, I should be much better off in my race the day after the challenge ends.

Mountain Man Olympic Tri in Flagstaff, AZ, August 14!

Here we go...

Goal #1 - Triathlon Training

A. Strength - 5 days a week (push and pull twice each, legs once)

B. Swim - 2 days a week

C. Bike - 4 days a week (commute 3 times, road once)

D. Run - 5 days a week

Mon.                  Tue.                    Wed.                  Thu.                Fri.                       Sat.                      Sun.

Run (interval)     Bike* (interval)     Bike* (tempo)     Bike* (easy)     Run (long/trail)     Bike (long)            Rest

Swim (interval)    Run (easy)          Run (tempo)                                                           Run (transition)

Push                   Pull                      Legs                   Push                Pull                      Swim (long)

*commute

I am already pretty routine with my 3 days of bike commute, 2-3 of my runs, and 1 swim.

My focus will be to get my long bike in every week, get my strength days going, and make that second swim more routine.

Goal #2 - Recovery

Priority #1 - Turn computer off at 7:00 pm

Priority #2 - Bedtime at 8:30 pm

Priority #3 - Yoga w/ Adriene at 7:00 pm

Priority #4 - Stretch after all exercise

I still need to do a lot better about sleep. If I do not get in the habit of shutting down, I will never succeed at keeping a bedtime.

My flexibility is horrendous and always has been. I am not content with accepting that that is just they way I am.

Let's Get It!!

• Like 2

Tri! Love it. Are you used to training at that altitude, or will Flag be something new for you?

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

I actually lived there for a few years and grew up at 6000 ft in NM, but I did a tri in Show Low not to long ago and I definitely felt the altitude. I will be going up to visit in NM in a couple weeks, so I will get in a few training sessions. Hopefully that will help a little. Have you every tried a tri?

I actually lived there for a few years and grew up at 6000 ft in NM, but I did a tri in Show Low not to long ago and I definitely felt the altitude. I will be going up to visit in NM in a couple weeks, so I will get in a few training sessions. Hopefully that will help a little. Have you every tried a tri?

That's great. I was in Albuquerque for business this spring, and the altitude totally caught me off guard. I've never done a tri. I've only ever been a runner up until about a month ago. I really like cycling so far, so who knows...

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Good luck fixing the bedtime routine.  I think that getting the screens turned off will free up the time you need -- just fill that time with what you want rather than let it be filled with other time-wasters!

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

On 7/13/2016 at 8:24 PM, theophilus said:

That's great. I was in Albuquerque for business this spring, and the altitude totally caught me off guard. I've never done a tri. I've only ever been a runner up until about a month ago. I really like cycling so far, so who knows...

Tri's are a lot of fun, tho the training can be mentally exhausting sometimes with the volume of work. I have considered doing running only. Especially because I want to focus more on strength again. You have any races planned?

On 7/14/2016 at 5:57 AM, Erick the Red said:

Good luck fixing the bedtime routine.  I think that getting the screens turned off will free up the time you need -- just fill that time with what you want rather than let it be filled with other time-wasters!

Thanks! I will need it. Speaking of, I should be off to bed now lol. I will go strict starting tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Princess Pineapple said:

Good luck!  That's a pretty full on challenge!

Thank you! Gonna be a challenge indeed!

Wife just got home from a 4 day business trip, so it is time to get this show back on the road. I will be biking tomorrow morning starting at 6, followed by a short transition run and stretch. Later in the day I will hit the pool for an hour. At 7 Adriene will take me through some yoga before I knock off to bed. K, that is the plan ;)

Goal Updates

• Got my yoga in last night.
  • Didn't fully disconnect (phone) and went to bed about an hour late, but allowed myself to sleep a little longer in the morning before my run.
  • I was able to get in a 10.8 mile run after joining a stranger (Curt) half way through my run in order to add a couple extra miles. That is the second time I have hijacked someones run, though if seems as everyone as enjoyed and benefited. I am not a very outgoing or social person, but it makes the run soo much more tolerable to have another suffering with you. Most of my training now is as a part of a group for just that reason. If you have any issues with the drive to do what you want, I highly recommend finding a group in your area. Makes a world of difference.

Plans

• Yoga and bed on time tonight.
  • 5 am Track with Las Sendas Run Bike Tri Club
  • 10 am Swim Lessons for the wee little one (my daughter)
  • 3 pm Strength Workout w/ a buddy
  • 5 pm Lap Swim

Hijacking a run...too funny. :D I almost always run solo, but that has much to do with the places I go! I look forward to the day I can join a club.

Good looking challenge, I'm sure you'll do well. A triathlon in Flagstaff sounds awesome. I've passed through a few times – it's lovely up there. I suppose I could look this up myself, but is there open water there for the swim?

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

20 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

Hijacking a run...too funny. :D I almost always run solo, but that has much to do with the places I go! I look forward to the day I can join a club.

Good looking challenge, I'm sure you'll do well. A triathlon in Flagstaff sounds awesome. I've passed through a few times – it's lovely up there. I suppose I could look this up myself, but is there open water there for the swim?

There is! Upper Lake Mary, just Southeast of town, is where they hold it. I am pretty stoked about this one. It will end up being my 10 month old daughters first camping trip too.

19 hours ago, Princess Pineapple said:

That's tricky.  I don't think I'd like someone joining my run!  I don't mind running with a friend or with my group though.

well done on the first day though.

I hear ya. I try to be very thoughtful in the process too. I let them know that if they would prefer to run alone that I completely understand. And I am fairly good at taking hints if they are just too nice to say no. Also, being completely honest here, I am unlikely to pick on any of the ladies. In that situation, I am ok making guys feel a little uncomfortable at first. Not so much the ladies. Anyway, I am very likely to do it again :playful: Both instances were very enjoyable and boosts my runs to boot!

Goal Updates

• Yoga w/ Adriene day 2 complete.
  • Track complete. 5.5 miles total. 2 x 1200m and 4 x 800m @ ~5:20/mile pace. I should have run the 800's faster, but I pooped out big time. I know better than to run long before track day.
  • Push Workout: Push-ups - 30, 30, 20, 25, 25; Half Handstand Push-ups - 3 x 3
  • Swim: .5 mile

Plans

• Yoga and bed. Already missed shut down time and Yoga will be a little late. Kiddo needs to be put to bed.
  • Commute to and from work. 14 miles total.
  • Walk a bunch of miles at work
  • Pull Workout
  • Like 2
On 7/19/2016 at 0:12 AM, Princess Pineapple said:

You are doing well.  Keep it up!

On 7/19/2016 at 0:10 PM, Basement Cat said:

Excellent work so far!

That's a lot of mileage! I'm impressed. :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

I was going to try to update daily, but, you know, life!

I had to skip my easy run and tempo run on Tuesday and Wednesday. My feet were pretty beat up from the back to back long run and track day and I was just straight up mentally exhausted from life.

I have been a bum and have not completed any more strength work. I need to find a solution to this. I think the timing is the biggest issue. I have zero energy or motivation to do things in the afternoons, especially after I ride home from work and it is 100+ degrees outside everyday. And no time in the morning. I will figure this out.

And finally, I have also skipped three days of yoga now. Time to get back on track here, as well as do better at stretching.

Tasks Completed:

• Yoga w/ Adriene Day 3
  • Commuted to work Tue., Wed., and Thu, for a total of 46.71 miles
  • Accumulated 17.6 walking miles over the 3 days
  • Biked 30.93 miles this morning

Plans:

• Do some yoga in NM
  • Run on tomorrow morning in NM
  • Return on Sunday and most likely rest

To deal with the heat, I've tried running in the evenings as the sun is setting. It could still be 100° though, and I thought that waiting so late was throwing off the rest of my evening schedule. So I got out before dawn this morning for a long run, but didn't really find that any easier (or less hot). I'm glad I got out and did it, though, and got that feeling of accomplishment. I hope you can find your motivation and get out there again! :encouragement:

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

16 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

To deal with the heat, I've tried running in the evenings as the sun is setting. It could still be 100° though, and I thought that waiting so late was throwing off the rest of my evening schedule. So I got out before dawn this morning for a long run, but didn't really find that any easier (or less hot). I'm glad I got out and did it, though, and got that feeling of accomplishment. I hope you can find your motivation and get out there again! :encouragement:

I think that mornings are easier heat wise but I am useless at getting up.  

On 7/22/2016 at 0:32 PM, Princess Pineapple said:

Hats off to anyone who can do anything in that kind of heat!

Certainly makes things challenging, but at least it isn't snow, ice, and frozen nose hair lol

On 7/24/2016 at 8:45 PM, SaltyDragon said:

I am not very familiar with the heat and humidity around there, so hard for me to say. But I tend to agree with Princess Pineapple, the mornings here are much more tolerable heat wise. That requires me waking up stupid early tho, limiting my potential use of the evening (that and a kiddo lol). However, I have done better at being on the ball and getting out right as the sun is going down to get my strength stuff in (with much cooperation from the super awesome wife).

And Yay to the both of us for gettin er done!

Challenge

I am getting my triathlon training done, but the recovery goals have not been successful at all.

I will be updating my goals in the next couple of days hopefully. I took on more than I could handle. I will take on only one new task/goal at a time as soon as I get the mental energy to get at it.

Until then, swim bike run baby!