Into the Forest: Ranger Journey, Phase I

SkyGirl

Just in case you haven't dropped by the guildhall lately, I thought you might be interested in checking out our weekly battle speech from Tank here.

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

7 hours ago, bker1370 said:

Just in case you haven't dropped by the guildhall lately, I thought you might be interested in checking out our weekly battle speech from Tank here.

I heard it and it was so encouraging!! Thanks for remembering me, B'ker!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

You're welcome.  He posts a battle speech like that for us every Sunday of each challenge.

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

My thoughts turn often to the little old hobbit as I press through the drenched weeds that come up over my knees. With his generous pay heavy at my belt and his warm handshake lingering on my scratched, cracked hands, I leave the town behind and forge ahead into the woods, beginning my trek up the first of the foothills.

Even early in the day, it is hot, and the humidity rising from the ground fills my lungs like wet cotton. My clothes are already sticking to my perspiring body - a body which has become a bit more sluggish in three days with the well-fed hobbit and his parents. I am tempted to remove my long-sleeved jacket, but at the whine of a mosquito in my ear I quickly abandon that thought. At least, even though climbing is slow and slippery, I notice that my legs are able to push harder and tire less quickly than they did, even just a few days prior.

I scale the first foothill; I leave it behind. A breathtaking, slipping stumble through the valley; then driving back up the next hill. This is harder. I reach the top and am searching for a way down when I step on a large stick and my foot shoots out from under me, sending me tumbling and bouncing ungracefully down the slick hill and into a patch of poison sumac. All of my muscles, and soon my skin, burn. I lie on the ground in defeat and look contemplatively up at the sparkling canopy of leaves above my head, and wonder if the hobbit would take me back as a servant.

"Well, hello there."

I bolt up from the poison sumac patch and stare - straight into the eyes of another elf. A tall, male elf. With a sword.

-------

Today's Challenge Achievements:

- Rucked for 2.5 miles

- Going to do 3 circuits of the Beginner Bodyweight Challenge after my dinner settles

- Read a chapter of "As You Wish"

- Replaced bacon with basil at lunch and forewent potato and macaroni salad at dinner

Challenge Addition:

Earn my driver's license. This is really important to me and I want to have it done by the end of this challenge. That is a +2 in Wisdom and an automatic +100 level up on my Epic Quest if I can do it by the end of this challenge!!

• Like 6

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

16 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

"Well, hello there."

I bolt up from the poison sumac patch and stare - straight into the eyes of another elf. A tall, male elf. With a sword.

Oo, plot twist! Loving the story so far :) .

Also, congrats on the improvements in the body weight workout!

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Looks like your doing a great job working through those goals! Good luck with your drivers licence (something I also need to do!) :)

Love the story... cant wait for the next instalment!

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

On 7/19/2016 at 9:37 PM, Bookish Badger said:

Following for stories :) 

I'll keep them coming!  :-)  I'm drawing on the events of the day for each chapter ... for example, the weather description in this post was an exact description of what the weather has been like in my part of the country lately. So humid you can barely breathe!!

9 hours ago, Jarric said:

Oo, plot twist! Loving the story so far :) .

Also, congrats on the improvements in the body weight workout!

*evil Gollum voice*  Yesssss, my preciousssss, a plot twissssst ... 

Although while I know who the elf is, I'm trying to figure out what I want him to do next.  :-)  And thank you for the congratulations!

4 hours ago, durfette said:

I am so intrigued by your story and by your challenge! Keep the updates coming Sky! You're doing a great job!

Thank you @durfette! I hope your challenge is going well - I haven't visited your side of the forums for a while!  :-)

4 hours ago, ab14aeq said:

Looks like your doing a great job working through those goals! Good luck with your drivers licence (something I also need to do!) :)

Love the story... cant wait for the next instalment!

Ooo, you don't have your driver's license either?? I'm not the only weird adult without a license???  *begins softly weeping tears of joy*  I'm terrified of driving but I would like to move out of my parents' basement someday (yes, I am one of THOSE nerds), and to do that, I need to drive. So ... I'm trying to give myself this end-of-challenge deadline to force myself to finish up and get that darn license. Good luck with your driving too!! Feel free to reply or PM me if you need encouragement or have tips to share!  :-D 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

5 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Ooo, you don't have your driver's license either?? I'm not the only weird adult without a license???  *begins softly weeping tears of joy*  I'm terrified of driving but I would like to move out of my parents' basement someday (yes, I am one of THOSE nerds), and to do that, I need to drive. So ... I'm trying to give myself this end-of-challenge deadline to force myself to finish up and get that darn license. Good luck with your driving too!! Feel free to reply or PM me if you need encouragement or have tips to share!  :-D 

Nope, definitely not the only weird adult without a licence. Is there anything particular that makes you scared of driving? I don't have any excuse except I tried driving lessons once when I was 17 and the instructor made me feel so stupid and useless I stopped them after six months and never really got round to trying again. But I am now at the stage of life where its vaguely embarrassing not to be able to drive (I'm 24 and living with my partner, for goodness sake). So, I have a theory test lined up for September, and I'm gonna try find myself a new - hopefully understanding and helpful - instructor. We can do it! 

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

18 hours ago, MaladroitGrounder said:

Loving your posts. Sounds like you are killing this challenge, and keeping us all entertained in the process!  Thank you for that!

Thanks @MaladroitGrounder! My progress is slow but it's definitely there - I did a lot of getting up and down off the floor today and noticed a HUGE difference after only two weeks of doing the Beginner Bodyweight Challenge. I was really excited to notice that!  :-)

14 hours ago, ab14aeq said:

Nope, definitely not the only weird adult without a licence. Is there anything particular that makes you scared of driving? I don't have any excuse except I tried driving lessons once when I was 17 and the instructor made me feel so stupid and useless I stopped them after six months and never really got round to trying again. But I am now at the stage of life where its vaguely embarrassing not to be able to drive (I'm 24 and living with my partner, for goodness sake). So, I have a theory test lined up for September, and I'm gonna try find myself a new - hopefully understanding and helpful - instructor. We can do it! 

I think my fear of driving is intimately tied to my fear of personal failure ... when I was little, I used to have nightmares about wrecking the car after I took the wheel from my dad, and when I was older, I realized that these dreams were closely linked to my fears of what would happen when I "took the wheel" of my own life as an adult. Other occurrences into adulthood have confirmed this suspicion ... I feel utterly incompetent when I drive. So I don't really know how to deal with the underlying issues; but I think more practice and getting more comfortable with the car will be the main help.  :-)

Keep me posted on how your driving journey goes! I will be rooting for you!!  <3 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

I stare up at the elf from my awkward position, lying on my back in a patch of poison sumac, where I landed after tumbling down a hill. There is no telling how long the elf has been standing in this valley. He is tall and rangy, his thumbs looped nonchalantly in his low-slung belt, and older - his long hair is a dusty gray, and parted casually on either side of his mildly inquisitive face. He smirks at me with unnervingly light eyes.

After more than a minute, he clears his throat gently. "Ah, you may move now, if you wish."

"I like it here," I reply tartly. "Who are you, and what do you want?"

"Well, I - I'm here to -" He grimaces and squints up at the sky. "I'm sorry, I just can't talk to you while you are lying in the middle of a patch of poison sumac. Could you please move?"

"No." I sit up and cross my arms in defiance. "I will die in the middle of this poison sumac. Go ahead and please, make it quick."

"What!" His eyebrows shoot up and his forehead folds into a hundred perfect valleys. "Die? You - oh, please, you surely don't think I'm here to kill you?"

I blink. "Aren't you?"

His face crumples and he covers his eyes with both hands. "Oh, for heaven's sake ... have we got a lot of work to do." He peeked at me with pain in his eyes. "My name is Ayre Kallana. I'm here to be your new teacher!"

------

Today's Challenge Accomplishments:

- About to do my 3 circuits of the Beginner Bodyweight Challenge and gain 15 XP!

Today's Struggles:

- Ate too much of every food group due to work and family celebrations  :-(

Today's Bonus Accomplishments:

- Used 20 seconds of courage to do something that scared me

- Reached a personal / career milestone

• Like 5

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

Does that milestone have anything to do with the celebrations? Because you are *supposed* to celebrate the milestones! We eat right and exercise day in, day out so that we *can* celebrate the milestones without doing any harm to our bodies and health :D 

• Like 1

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

Ooh, love where the story is heading. And definitely celebrate the milestones as Traxex said. It's a good feeling to eat whatever you want (on occasion!) knowing that a) you earned it and b ) you dont have to feel guilty about it! Congratulations for whatever it was! :) 

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Traxex said:

Does that milestone have anything to do with the celebrations? Because you are *supposed* to celebrate the milestones! We eat right and exercise day in, day out so that we *can* celebrate the milestones without doing any harm to our bodies and health :D 

4 hours ago, ab14aeq said:

Ooh, love where the story is heading. And definitely celebrate the milestones as Traxex said. It's a good feeling to eat whatever you want (on occasion!) knowing that a) you earned it and b ) you dont have to feel guilty about it! Congratulations for whatever it was! :) 

Yes, I was celebrating getting a really exciting assignment at work that I've been looking forward to for a long time! I celebrated with an ice cream cone!  :-D  Thank you so much!!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

6 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

Yes, I was celebrating getting a really exciting assignment at work that I've been looking forward to for a long time! I celebrated with an ice cream cone!  :-D  Thank you so much!!

Congratulations!

• Like 1

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.

Dalai Lama

"My teacher?" 

"Yes!" Kallana massages his temples with his eyes closed. "They told me you were intuitive and able to read a person's intentions from a single glance. I think they exaggerated."

I finally roll out of the poison sumac and bounce to my feet. Is this a clever story to catch me off guard? Or is this the mentor that I need? I rest my hand lightly on my dagger and step close to him, staring at his countenance, tracing the pits and lines in his weathered face and the world-weary droop under his strange light green eyes. His forehead crinkles again and he slowly steps backward. "No, please, I'd really prefer to avoid poison sumac today," he stammers.

"Before I believe you, you must answer my questions," I bark. "Who sent you, and why, and what are you going to teach me, and at what cost?"

Finally, for the first time, his eyes harden into the true glint of sober gravity and he lets his arms fall out of their protective cross. Suddenly he seems very, very tall. His lazy drawl changes, becomes a firm throb that captures my attention.

"Sky, you are a very powerful elf - much more powerful than you know. Your weapons are not these puny things of wood and steel. Your weapons are invisible and much, much more powerful than the ones you know how to wield now. I am the first of a number of teachers who have been chosen to teach you how to use these weapons and to become the powerful elf you are destined to be."

I feel a hush fall over my spirit that freezes me in place. "Chosen? By whom?"

He opens his mouth to answer, then glances down at my hands. "That - is a question for after we've tended to your poison sumac."

-------

Today's Challenge Accomplishments:

- Informally rucked a bit

- Forewent buns on my hot dogs at dinner

- Began researching appropriate protein intake for a woman of my age and size

Today's Life Accomplishments:

- Let myself get drenched with super soakers by my brothers (I am uptight; this is significant)

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

23 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

I hope you exercised your right of return fire - er, water! 

Oh my, yes!! In fact, I believe I fired first!  :-D

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

WEEK 2: REBOOT WEEK

(not a story post)

Well, Week 0 was really strong and Week 1 got off to a good start, but I really fell off the last few days with regards to diet and exercise. After cutting back on carbs for a week and a half, I lost focus toward the middle of this past week and ate a lot of random delectable carbs like ice cream, bagels, and deli potato salad; and after completing my fifth Beginner Bodyweight Challenge (BBC) and earning my 15 XP on Thursday, I also suddenly found lots of excuses not to exercise (heat, fatigue, crazy schedule, "Friday night").

So some things I did accomplish last week:

- Worked up to 3 circuits of the BBC! It's still a struggle, but at least I can walk the next day!

- Started reading about appropriate protein intake - still a ways to go here

- Did well for a while on substituting other food groups for carbs

And here is what I want to do this week:

- Restart my carb-substitution challenge and adjust my XP goals to reflect my 3-week commitment

- Read 1 of the 3 books on my list

- Set and start aiming toward my protein goal by Wednesday

- Read about and draft a rucking plan - as a student, I do it all the time anyway; I want to see how to make it work for my fitness plan!

And lastly, I think I know where I'm going with my challenge story, and I want to reboot that and make it better / more cohesive. I have several cool characters I want to try to bring in!

Good luck to everyone on Week 2! The first week was tough, but we are tougher and we will rock these challenges like nobody's business!!

ecf7013e774e4d1c3304ff3d2739f707.gif

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

3 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

And lastly, I think I know where I'm going with my challenge story, and I want to reboot that and make it better / more cohesive. I have several cool characters I want to try to bring in!

Can't wait to read it! You've got a real gift for storytelling. I love it!

3 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Good luck to everyone on Week 2! The first week was tough, but we are tougher and we will rock these challenges like nobody's business!!

If you needed any more motivation to kick week 2 where it hurts, Tanktimus has a great battle speech up on the Rangers Guildhall thread :)

Despite the few hiccups (we all have them) it sounds like your challenge is going great. Good luck for week 2! 

• Like 1

Spoiler