• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grymm

The 36th Chamber of Grymm

So - good day today.

Overhead press top hat - completed (functionally) and tested.  Rammed a plate into the stud at the edge a few times.  Might make a couple 2" spacers to fix that.  My right arm will press faster than my left and tilt the plate in a little.  There isn't a lot of clearance even when the bar is straight and centered.

Workout:

P: 5x5x65 

S: 5x45, 4x95, 3x135, 2x185, 2x205, 5x5x215

P (round 2): 5x5x70

22 pushups

D: 5x5x225

When I went to pull the 225 out of the rack, it didn't budge.  I don't do rack pulls except when putting the weight on and generally, I just rack 135 and then do the rest on the floor.  I made a tool for it (tool as you might say about neanderthal implements).  Today, I just racked right to 225#.  I was a little surprised.  Then I picked it up and put it on the floor.  It was a little weird that split second when my body was like "yo, what's going on?".  I didn't really want to do 5 sets of deadlifts.  I thought long and hard about 3.  Between overhead sawing, squats, and double press, I was pretty fatigued.  But I need the reps.  The back work I get from deadlifts is what is driving up my squats.  Plus, I have 2 rest days now.  @Sam Ashen When's the last time you had (2) consecutive rest days other than potentially vacation?  Did you have rest days on vacation?  Is vacation resting a thing in Bulgaria?

Edit:  Sweet Jeebus!  It's almost 3pm and I only have 840 calories down today.  Need the meats!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Grymm said:

When I went to pull the 225 out of the rack, it didn't budge.  I don't do rack pulls except when putting the weight on and generally, I just rack 135 and then do the rest on the floor.  I made a tool for it (tool as you might say about neanderthal implements).  Today, I just racked right to 225#.  I was a little surprised.  Then I picked it up and put it on the floor.  It was a little weird that split second when my body was like "yo, what's going on?".

People pay a decent amount of money for a tool like what I believe you are describing...

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Wedge-Alternative-Powerlifting-Weightlifting/dp/B00TVVBD6O

33 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Plus, I have 2 rest days now.  @Sam Ashen When's the last time you had (2) consecutive rest days other than potentially vacation?  Did you have rest days on vacation?  Is vacation resting a thing in Bulgaria?

It happened by accident while I was on vacation.  Monday was Death by Squats.  Tuesday was an automatic rest day.  Wednesday was an accidental rest day.  Thursday I managed to get a gym day in.  Friday was Death by Deadlift with RB.  Saturday was travel.  Sunday was back to the grind.

36 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Is vacation resting a thing in Bulgaria?

She's not as mean as I make her out to be.  Well.  Not quite.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

People pay a decent amount of money for a tool like what I believe you are describing...

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Wedge-Alternative-Powerlifting-Weightlifting/dp/B00TVVBD6O

Yeah, I just took a 12" piece of 1"x2" and nailed a short piece of 1"x2" to it as a stopper.  My floor has a slight slant (it was an optional garage when the house was built) so the weight always reliably rolls one way.  It only takes a couple pounds of force to roll it the other way off the block.  I was going to build a platform to level out the floor, but it's only like 1/4" different over 4'.  The slight slant keeps the bar against my shins when I set up for deadlift facing uphill.  I leveled the rack with some shim.  Long term, I do want to put some plywood and hardwood/rubber mat.  

26 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

It happened by accident while I was on vacation.  Monday was Death by Squats.  Tuesday was an automatic rest day.  Wednesday was an accidental rest day.  Thursday I managed to get a gym day in.  Friday was Death by Deadlift with RB.  Saturday was travel.  Sunday was back to the grind.

She's not as mean as I make her out to be.  Well.  Not quite.

From my point of view, it's entirely possible that she doesn't exist and is merely one of your personalities telling the other personality what to do.  I'm fine with that.  

Also, I just the hook up at the grocery store!  They have a hot buffet where you pay by the pound.  The girl who checked me out rang me up for 0.56#.  I don't know if she set the tare or her scale was broken or it was intentional, but this is probably 2#+ of food.  So the food portion of lunch cost $2.31.  I'm ok with this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grymm said:

From my point of view, it's entirely possible that she doesn't exist and is merely one of your personalities telling the other personality what to do.  I'm fine with that.  

Also, I just the hook up at the grocery store!  They have a hot buffet where you pay by the pound.  The girl who checked me out rang me up for 0.56#.  I don't know if she set the tare or her scale was broken or it was intentional, but this is probably 2#+ of food.  So the food portion of lunch cost $2.31.  I'm ok with this.

@Sam Ashen, I may have had the same thought.  I'm cheering you both on. 

Grymm - SCORE!  Now get to eating...

tumblr_inline_nhsm1atWyd1rz2lq0.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Wait...if my math is correct, the hot buffet at your grocery store is only $4 a pound?!? 

That's a super win right there. The one at my supermarket in the city is $8.99 a pound!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grymm said:

Just now, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

@Sam Ashen, I may have had the same thought.  I'm cheering you both on. 

OMG!  So.  BUSTED!

19774a8c0b9764ca8d48eef08a9ec478.jpg

• Like 2

I think it's $7.99/lb but on sale for $6.99/lb maybe because I got there outside of the lunch rush.  And I'm sure anything they haven't sold soon gets trashed.  I can't read the receipt because I put it in which the chocolate milk and the condensation seems to have erased half of it.  I can read the dollar amounts, but not the information on the left.  Maybe she rang me up for 1/3rd of a lb.  Either way, super cheap.  Typically, a regular lunch there is $11-$12 for me.  I wouldn't label it high quality food, but at least I know what it is, and it contains real meat.

Update - lunch was 3008 calories (approx) with 145 protein.  MVP of the meal was the half gallon of chocolate milk I drank for 1600 cal/64 prot.

Edit:  Post count says what?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Update - lunch was 3008 calories (approx) with 145 protein.  MVP of the meal was the half gallon of chocolate milk I drank for 1600 cal/64 prot.

Edit:  Post count says what?

•  
  • 666 posts
  • Like 1

Not enough sleep or protein over the weekend.  Sleep was mostly do to sleeping on my buddy's couch for (2) days.  I'm just not going to sleep more than (6) hours on a couch.  Protein was not that surprising as when you eat garbage food (Saturday), it's generally not very high in protein.  Sunday, I went to a BBQ at my brother's.  I ate all the meats, but didn't really eat breakfast or anything later in the day.  I was not too far off on the protein.  In conjunction with Saturday junk food, not enough sleep, and not drinking my customary gallon of water a day, I was 274.8# today.  That's +12.8# this challenge.  I think 4# of that will probably melt off over the next couple days.  It's just salt and carbs.

I deliberately did not do my pushups Saturday.  I did (2) sets Sunday.  I made the second set pretty strict (almost touching my nose to the floor).  I might keep doing them after the (22) days as being able to bang out ~25 really good looking pushups would be a nice feather in my proverbial cap.

Challenge completion: 70.3%.  In order to get above 90%, I need to get at least (1) more adulting point.  Doable.

• Like 2

Ok, let's do this:

8/8/2016 Thought I started working out at 7:30, but it's now 11 and I'm eating dinner.  It must have been 8:30.  I began cooking between bench and rows.

S:  5x45, 4x95, 3x135, 2x185, 2x205, 5x5x220

B: 5x45, 5x95, 5x5x125

R: 5x5x125

22 push ups

I have zero bounce out of the bottom, but I still have more push in my legs.  I'm pretty excited to do 225# Wednesday.  If this were a video game, I feel like beating 225# would be like a mini-boss checkpoint.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Is your ceiling now allowing full ROM for bench?? :D 

Yes, but now I have to watch out for power lines and low flying aircraft!  The struggle is real!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

nxNOap0.gif

BWAHAHAHA. 

Weight gain can be for lots of reasons. In February I gained 10# in 10 days from digestive problems. How long have you been holding the weight? 

I think it's safe to say though that it's probably not shark week. ;)

• Like 4

To be honest, I don't know, and I barely care.  Actually, when I first weighed myself, I was 249 (-13 from beginning of challenge), and my honest reaction was "oh no!"  A sock was wedged under the scale.  The plan is to gain weight and my diet is set up for that.  My priority (and only priority) is to get stronger right now so everything else just gets tailored to that.  I retroactively tracked my food over the weekend, and calories were not outlandish (certainly not a secret 15,000 extra).  Sometimes, it's just a by-product of what time I weigh myself.  I regularly lose and gain 5+ pounds in a day.  When you drink 12+ pounds of liquid and eat probably 3+ pounds of food a day, weight is an approximate value.  Unless I need to perform ballistic calculations on my person, it's not really that important. 

I can tell you this - my digestive track is in magnificent condition these days.  Also, my belt setting for lifts last night was the same.  Maybe my head got bigger.

• Like 2

Ok - I was ambushed at 3pm with my friend at work having a birthday happy hour.  I don't remember approving him to have a birthday.  Attendance on such short notice was destined to be poor so I'd feel extra bad not showing up.  So I did - had (2) Guinness, (2) diet cokes, and a chicken quesadilla.  Then I went home trying to figure out how I was going to shift gears from that to lifting.  I watched some inspiration USA beach volleyball (the men's indoor team has been a downer).  I haven't caught any of the indoor women's yet, but they seem to be doing well.  I don't play beach so maybe I'll watch that.

Anyway, I put on sweatpants (it's a deadlift day, and I have thousands of dollars tattooed on my shins) and was immediately sweating.  After (4) warmup sets, I was still yawning.  I contemplated how I could lift Thursday and then somehow Saturday morning pre-NF meetup.  That was not feasible so adult me started mental finger wagging and pushed me back under the bar.

Anyway, here goes:

S:  2x5x45, 5x95, 3x135, 3x185, 2x215, 5x5x225

P: 5x5x75

D: 5x5x235

On the deadlifts, I made a deal with myself to do only (3) sets, but then I did (5) anyway just for a sake of finishing strong.  The 225 sets were not really that hard.  Keeping my chest up is hard, but that's really the limiting factor.  I do wonder how far from a good back angle I am.  The bar is over mid foot, but it is so because of my thoracic kyphosis.  I think my lower back is probably not at that great an angle which bails out my hip mobility.  However, I really can't extend my upper back much with no load.  Relative to my "neutral", my back curve is probably fine.  I'll have to start recording light and work sets to compare.  

I wonder how I'll feel in the morning.  Probably like a truck ran me over initially.  Because I'm doing squats every other day, I don't anticipate much actual soreness, just some stiffness.

• Like 2

I see someone else was doing workouts they didn't feel like doing. Except you weren't willing to be punched in the face. That is probably wise. And you're probably more attached to your face than I am mine. I'm like, what's one more scar anyway? 

Anything stopping you from recording sets? 

Recording sets needs a little game planning.  The room is 11' wide.  The bar is 7' long.  That means there is 2' from the end of the bar to the wall.  I have things leaning against the wall on both sides (plywood, drywall) that eat up some of that space.  Recording the sets from point blank range isn't going to show much. 

Now, to be fully honest, I just don't feel like doing it.  If I can convince myself its necessary, I'll do it.  Smart me thinks it could help.  The rest of me is of the opinion that I hate doing things.  Also, if I see that my upper back is really rounded during squats, what exactly am I going to do about it?  No amount of good mornings or face pulls is going to straighten my spine.  Really, though, I should build a setup for face pulls though.

Regarding face punches, my head is a cinderblock.  I don't think many people would fair well punching me in the head.  Probably a much better to aim for the soft, doughy middle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Recording sets needs a little game planning.

Once you get your recording game going, you won't stop. :D

23 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Now, to be fully honest, I just don't feel like doing it.  If I can convince myself its necessary, I'll do it.  Smart me thinks it could help.

So much information!

You only gave one dimension for the room.  There should be angles you can hit.

25 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Also, if I see that my upper back is really rounded during squats, what exactly am I going to do about it?  No amount of good mornings or face pulls is going to straighten my spine.  Really, though, I should build a setup for face pulls though.

Spine issues?

Videos give you a reference.  You can compare one to another and see what happens when the weight goes up.  Also.  If you are doing 10x10 and you tape every set, then you know how many sets you have done and don't lose count.  Because.  Losing count sucks.  Also important - You get to see your progress over time.

28 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Regarding face punches, my head is a cinderblock.  I don't think many people would fair well punching me in the head.  Probably a much better to aim for the soft, doughy middle.

This is accurate.  Go after the ability to breathe.  Long time ago, one of my Monk Instructors said something like, "You can't see, but you can still fight.  If you can't breathe, you can't fight."  Meanwhile, there are sharp teeth to cut the fists and pick up some nasty germs.

Another instructor talked about the advantage of being fat.  With a perfect V-Shape there is a perfect angle to strike the diaphragm.  A fat person does not have that angle. :P

(He said a lot of crazy things! :lol:)

64711723.jpg

• Like 1