Myrdinn Sets Out

Myrdinn

@tyrannosaurus rose thanks, that's really helpful. I think the tricky thing here is that it's my wife who really wants me to cut down, whilst I really like drinking coffee and don't see the harm in it, particularly as I drink black coffee so there's pretty much no calories in it. But I might try and stick to just drinking water at my desk and only having coffee in meetings. That way I keep it in my daily routine but it gets cut back quite a bit. Down the line I might switch to tea but (terrible for a British guy) I don't really like tea with milk, so I'll have to try and find a herbal/green tea I enjoy.

• Like 1

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

Right, that's week 2 done.

Breakfast: Had my first bowl of home-made bircher muesli this morning, full of all sorts of superfood goodness (chia seeds, goji berries etc). This is definitely working, I've definitely hit 5 x a week and am pushing up to pretty much every day, although I am still tending to eat two meals a day rather than three at the weekend with one of them being both breakfast and lunch.

Coffee: I think I need to reassess this goal a bit. I'm pretty much hitting it but I don't really feel like it's helping me. So the new version for the second half of the challenge is purely going to be about how much water I drink. Aiming for 8 glasses/roughly 2 litres a day, every day.

Exercise: Hit my three times a week goal last week. I've done 5/6 workouts in the challenge so far and am very much enjoying it.

Teeth: I missed this once in the second week (Saturday night) but feeling pretty good about it. 11/14

How are you guys all feeling on this fine Monday morning*?

*actually pretty grey in London. And it's still the middle of the night for most of the people who've been replying in this thread!

• Like 3

Level 2 Warlock

3 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

it looks like the challenge format is really working for you! 

I think making yourself accountable helps to keep engaged with it. I'm also updating one of my good friends who is trying to do something similar. Having somewhere where I can talk about working out one minute and then go off on one about Star Wars RPGs in the next breath is useful too!

• Like 2

Level 2 Warlock

Looks like things are going well! I think it's really great that you reassessed the coffee goal, especially if you didn't identify with the original parameters. If drinking water is more in line with your goals, go for it.

Keep up the good work and let us know how it goes!

• Like 1
On 1.8.2016 at 10:47 AM, Myrdinn said:

Down the line I might switch to tea but (terrible for a British guy) I don't really like tea with milk, so I'll have to try and find a herbal/green tea I enjoy.

You actually can drink tea without milk (and/or sugar). :friendly_wink:

Having said that I like Sencha tea as green tea.

At one of my previous workplaces we were always kidding around because my British collegue did not like tea at all while I (being German) drank it by the liter and do not like coffee at all.

19 minutes ago, Kucki68 said:

You actually can drink tea without milk (and/or sugar). :friendly_wink:

Having said that I like Sencha tea as green tea.

At one of my previous workplaces we were always kidding around because my British collegue did not like tea at all while I (being German) drank it by the liter and do not like coffee at all.

I keep meaning to try and find a tea I like. I don't really get on with "normal" tea, either with milk or black, and I have never really made a habit of green tea or any of the herbal options. People keep talking to me about Matcha too, which I think is a green tea variant, but since green tea still has a load of caffeine in it I'm not sure whether there's much benefit to switching from coffee to that.

I think the bottom line here is that I really like coffee.

Level 2 Warlock

I'm terrible at drinking tea. It always tastes like a drink trying hard not to be water and failing, so I would rather just drink water. But there are a few types of tea that I do like, mostly because the flavor is so mild I hardly notice them. One of them is called kukicha (sometimes), and, although tea aficionados claim it has a "mild, sweet, nutty flavor" to me it just tastes like water with a bit of a burnt aftertaste. You can drink it hot or iced -- when I was in Kyoto two years ago, the cold version was really popular to help combat the heat of a mountain summer.  

It's technically a green tea and apparently has many of the benefits that tea-lovers and nutrition people talk about green teas having (and more??) but since it's made from the stems of the tea plant rather than the leaves it has almost no caffeine. I'm not sure I believe all of the reported health benefits, but at the very least I doubt it's harmful. 

But all that said... if you love coffee, why not just drink coffee? 

On 1 August 2016 at 9:47 AM, Myrdinn said:

Down the line I might switch to tea but (terrible for a British guy) I don't really like tea with milk, so I'll have to try and find a herbal/green tea I enjoy.

15 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

I keep meaning to try and find a tea I like. I don't really get on with "normal" tea, either with milk or black, and I have never really made a habit of green tea or any of the herbal options.

15 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

I think the bottom line here is that I really like coffee.

As a complete tea-Jenny I feel left out of the Great Tea Debate. :P

I totally agree with you, if you like coffee then drink coffee. As long as you're reaching your goal of getting enough water and don't drink it after dinner time then it's not something to worry about. 

Funnily enough i was the total opposite, I could not stand coffee. I loved the smell of it but the taste? Yeuch! I decided a few years back that my goal for the year was to be able to drink coffee. I do this a lot. Don't like mushrooms - eat mushrooms. Don't like pâté - eat pate. 

It took months of drinking very weak, milky coffee with sugar, gradually increasing the strength before I could honestly say that I could drink the stuff. And many more before I really enjoyed it. 

Just thought id share. I'm in a sharing kind of mood this morning. :D 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Ps. If you ever do want to try getting into tea my contribution to the debate is to try weak black tea with lemon, it's quite nice and refreshing. Or maybe fruit infusions. They're not really tea but they're a low caffeine alternative if you don't want coffee. ;) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

15 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

if you love coffee, why not just drink coffee? 

My wife and I have been going through fertility treatment for the last 18 months or so and she is supposed to cut out caffeine as much as possible, so I am trying to do the same out of sympathy. I cut it out completely for the first ~9 months and it did feel great, but at the moment my enjoyment of a decent espresso is winning out over my desire to cut it out.

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

Ps. If you ever do want to try getting into tea my contribution to the debate is to try weak black tea with lemon, it's quite nice and refreshing. Or maybe fruit infusions. They're not really tea but they're a low caffeine alternative if you don't want coffee. ;) 

I've tried several fruit teas and the only one I can get along with is ginger (which obviously isn't a fruit ...). I might give the black tea with lemon a go though, that sounds good.

• Like 1

Level 2 Warlock

Whilst I'm here, a quick goals update:

Breakfast: Still on the Bircher. I even prepped some when I got in late last night so that I could eat it this morning. #winning.

Water: I think I hit this goal yesterday, or at least came close. Not sure how to monitor this one.

Exercise: I'm on one session for the week so far but will be doing a second tonight, probably another bodyweight session. I upped the stakes on Tuesday evening and moved from the BBWW to a modified (i.e. easier) version of the advanced. It killed me, but I can feel it all doing me good.

Teeth:All over this one, haven't missed them this week. As with breakfast I even did them when I got in last night. A fortnight ago I would definitely have just gone straight to bed.

As @Guzzi said further up the thread I think this challenge malarkey is working for me.

• Like 2

Level 2 Warlock

I'm doing the water thing too, I have a water bottle that I carry around with me and I measure my water intake by how many times I've refilled it in a day.  I aim for 3 bottles each day but that is actually more than I really need when you consider that you get about 20-30% of your water intake from your food.  Could that work for you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guzzi said:

I'm doing the water thing too, I have a water bottle that I carry around with me and I measure my water intake by how many times I've refilled it in a day.  I aim for 3 bottles each day but that is actually more than I really need when you consider that you get about 20-30% of your water intake from your food.  Could that work for you?

Yes. Yes it could. Will acquire a bottle forthwith!

• Like 1

Level 2 Warlock

22 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

since green tea still has a load of caffeine in it I'm not sure whether there's much benefit to switching from coffee to that.

From a coffein point of view likely not. Supposedly green tea has some anticancer and other benefits, but I am sure there are studies showing all sorts of things. Enjoy you coffee and just try to keep it reasonable.

On the subject of tea, as someone who only drinks herbal tea, I rather like rooibos tea, if you haven't tried that before. Vanilla rooibos is my go to. There's also a chai rooibos, but don't drink it thinking it'll taste like chai tea and you might enjoy it.  I also like peppermint sometimes. 

That's really nice of you to cut out caffeine while your wife is getting fertility treatments. :) that's a fabulous motivator. 

I second @Guzzi with the water bottle! I keep one at my desk and it's become a habit to swig some H2O everytime I sit down (I alternate between lab and desk work, so I go back and forth quite a bit during the day). 

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

How stereotypical is it to join a predominantly American website as a Brit and end up talking about tea? :-)

Just a quick update on my goals at the end of week three (lots more detail in my battle log for anyone who wants it):

Breakfast: counting brunches at the weekend as breakfasts, I ate this every day last week. Predominantly bircher muesli, with an omelette on Saturday and peanut butter on toast on Sunday. I think I'm on 15/15 of these.

Coffee/Water: This has definitely been the thing I've struggled with most, as per all the conversations above. I am going to do my best for the next week and then make this part of my next challenge.

Exercise: Another three workouts last week including two more challenging bodyweight sessions. Going well, 8/9 so far.

Teeth: I am now doing these every day. 18/21.

• Like 2

Level 2 Warlock

Just realised I haven't actually posted in here for a week - has been a bit of a manic few days so have been keeping my battle log up to date but missing out on this one.

Final score ...

Breakfast: I pretty much aced this. Challenge now is to try and fine-tune what I'm eating for breakfast, because the muesli I'm eating at the moment is still quite high in sugar and I need to get more protein into my diet. 20/20.

Coffee and water: Why is drinking water so hard?! I think I have improved somewhat in the course of this challenge, but I still have quite some way to go before I'm where I need to be. This goal was also 

Exercise: had a mediocre last week where I missed a workout so only managed 2 sessions. I've successfully made exercising into a habit in the course of this challenge, but need to start reliably doing three sessions a week. 10/12.

Teeth: I actually missed this last night because my electric toothbrush was out of charge, so the final score was 24/28. Very pleased with this though - need to keep it up but the last four weeks have been a good start.

Going to have a bit of a think about my next set of goals!

• Like 2

Level 2 Warlock

Well done! :D

More protein for breakfast?  How about eggs (boiled, fried, poached, scrambled, veggie omelette...), bacon, smoked salmon (if you're not vegetarian, sorry I can't remember), or to keep the texture close to your muesli, some Greek yogurt with seeds, nuts, flaked almonds, etc.?

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

I want to second @Vibrantella with the protein at breakfast time. You can also make egg cups in muffin tins and pop those in the freezer to reheat in the microwave each morning. That allows a lot of variety, depending on what you like in your eggs. (veggies, bacon, ham, etc..)

Sounds like you did great this challenge! Lots of improvements there. :) Thanks for letting us follow along! Looking forward to seeing more challenges from you in the future.

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I