• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stepping_out

[] gets ready for the Big Time, part 1

I need to get this week's competition out of the way, and then it's just over 9 weeks until nationals, which lines up nicely with the next two challenges. Main goals will be the same for these, with maybe a few smaller ones added in if that feels like a good idea.

1) Train. Lift all the things. 3 sessions a week, accessories not optional!

2) Eat vegetables. A lot of them. Every meal, unless they make me gag at breakfast.

3) Stretch. Romwod 3x per week minimum. More is more.

First mini goal will be for week 1:

M1) Jog. I want to make sure I don't lose my cardio fitness. Used to be excellent but I haven't done any running and very little walking. I've been feeling the itch lately, so will add in at least one very gentle session per week. Zombies, run, methinks!

And off we go.

• Like 3

To start this off right, proof that I've been eating my veggies!

Yesterday's dinner: Pork belly (I bought it ready to eat, then re-heated for dinner and melted some truffle Gouda over it...) on a salad.

VfXCiWFm.jpg

I'm also upping my egg game and bought a single egg frying pan! It's so teeny tiny and non-stick. Thumb for scale:

4rpcWFhm.jpg

Which takes me very nicely to Brexit breakfast, pork belly again, egg, lettuce, mushrooms and broad beans that came with my last vegetable delivery. Nom nom nom nom nom.

W2nTyDRm.jpg

No lifting today, just going to stretch and fret about my openers. Did some bar work yesterday at the local gym, then a lovely long romwod and will try to get up early tomorrow to do one right before I drive down to the comp. Much excite! The good news is that I've found my singlet, it still fits and I did a few squats in it just to make sure it won't tear tomorrow - this may have happened to one of my team mates last comp!

• Like 2

That is the cutest egg pan on this damn planet. I have ruined 1 ceramic egg pan and my SO has ruined another. So I've basically given up on "environmentally sound" egg pans and am going straight back to cancerous cheap egg pans. I need to get one of these adorbs pans STAT. 

Good luck on your competition tomorrow! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 14/07/2016 at 7:42 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

YOU GOT THIS

19 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

I hope you smash the fuck out of your comp! Good luck Evabo! :encouragement:

On 15/07/2016 at 1:49 AM, wildross said:

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. It was pretty awesome.

Squat: 130, 140, 150. Felt easy, should have gone higher maybe, but felt really really nice to get three consistent squats in. Plus, this is a 30kg  comp PB :D

Bench: 55, 60 (felt super easy), 65x - Coach said to go 65, I figured I got what I came for (60), so why not. Actually felt really good with the set up, very easy to control the weight, but couldn't get it off the chest much at all. Soon though, I think.

Deadlift: 140, 150x, 150. Bit disappointed but i was super super hot and humid, I had massive problems with my grip. Hitched the first 150 because I wasn't sure I was standing up straight enough :apathy: But happy I went back and got it done, didn't let it psyche me out.

First place in my weight class, but tbh it's a bit meaningless because there was only one other girl, and she was a junior. I did get the highest total for the ladies, but not sure that's a particularly important metric :D AAAAAAAAAAND I cracked 300 Wilks, so according to the internets, I am now officially strong. Yay!

• Like 9

19 hours ago, evabo said:

:D AAAAAAAAAAND I cracked 300 Wilks, so according to the internets, I am now officially strong. Yay!

!!!!!!!

knPBqRI.gif

• Like 1

Zero week roundup...

Comp went well, as above. Lots of lessons learned:

• I need to get more confident taking larger jumps for squats at bigger weights so I can start comfortably low but still end up where I want to go. Accidental rhyme!
  • My lower back is an issue. I need to work on strengthening it, and I also need to re-assess my deadlift form to make sure I use my legs, not so much back. I think that's been off lately and making things more difficult than they need to be.
  • Speaking of back, I want a bigger bench, so I'm going to be all about rows and that. I'm also supposed to widen my grip gradually, we'll see how that goes.
  • My grip needs work.
  • If I have to compete in the heat again, I need to make sure I cool down between lifts somehow. Or maybe I'll just not compete next July!!!

Mini goal for week 1: Get some advice on bench form and work out a plan for changing my grip. See if I can get some back exercises to do between our main training sessions. Super motivated for nationals now, can't wait to get back into it!!!

Work has been crazy, and will continue to be for the next two weeks, but after that I should be able to chill for a little while. Can't wait for July to be over!!!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, evabo said:

Zero week roundup...

Comp went well, as above. Lots of lessons learned:

• I need to get more confident taking larger jumps for squats at bigger weights so I can start comfortably low but still end up where I want to go. Accidental rhyme!
  • My lower back is an issue. I need to work on strengthening it, and I also need to re-assess my deadlift form to make sure I use my legs, not so much back. I think that's been off lately and making things more difficult than they need to be.
  • Speaking of back, I want a bigger bench, so I'm going to be all about rows and that. I'm also supposed to widen my grip gradually, we'll see how that goes.
  • My grip needs work.
  • If I have to compete in the heat again, I need to make sure I cool down between lifts somehow. Or maybe I'll just not compete next July!!!

Mini goal for week 1: Get some advice on bench form and work out a plan for changing my grip. See if I can get some back exercises to do between our main training sessions. Super motivated for nationals now, can't wait to get back into it!!!

I like reading your internal monologue and things you are working on. It gives insights into happenings at higher levels of strength.

Also, you are a BAMF.

dass.gif

Nice job at your meet. Also digging the pork and eggs meals, but that level 5 novelty pan needs to evolve. On vacation, I was eating 6 eggs with some chopped up ham and Tabasco sauce for breakfast every day. Eggs 4EVAR!

• Like 1

On 19/07/2016 at 3:34 AM, kwesadilo said:

Nice job at your meet. Also digging the pork and eggs meals, but that level 5 novelty pan needs to evolve. On vacation, I was eating 6 eggs with some chopped up ham and Tabasco sauce for breakfast every day. Eggs 4EVAR!

Ha, I see you Tabasco sauce and raise you a creepy-faced egg'n'cheese double decker:

i3iHtuWm.jpg

Pictured with crumpet and tomato mouth.

• Like 3

So I kind of got devoured by work shizz for a while there. Major deadline yesterday, I'm soooooo relieved and celebrated with a gym session on 3 hours of sleep.

Speaking off, I haven't missed one yet, and it seems our coach has decided we need to DIE DIE DIE, with deadlifts 3 times (!!!!) per week. In fact, I may already be dead and this is zombie evabo talking to you from the great beyond, only zombies don't talk, making this extra creepy. That sentence probably tells you a lot about the state of my brain at this moment. It's been oddly great though, I feel fantastic after being crushed from all angles 3x per week. Did I mention we're also squatting and benching (and I don't mean light!!) 3x per week? Good fun, and my bench is definitely getting better. Tried 65 again today and I don't think it's far off.

Nutrition: I'm making an effort. One thing that's made a big difference is my salad spinner:

8Y8g9c6m.jpg

I finally have space for this, and it's just so handy.

Assorted other meals:

O4kqNsrm.jpg

lBKilIUm.jpg

O4kqNsrm.jpg

Xk5EhzEm.jpg

laD6B13m.jpg

One of these things is not like the others! it's a "crone", a baked crossover between a doughnut and a croissant, shaped into an ice cream cone. Aka "hipster level 3". And actually not that tasty, it was rather dry!!!

Also, we went to Whole Foods (can't really afford to go there a lot!) and bought about 2kgs worth of cheese, so this needed to happen:

8Us3H4Em.jpg

We melted it.

Anyway, bottom line is I'm enjoying my food and the new food prep possibilities the new house offers. Partner is still alive, in fact he's doing a great job keeping things ticking over while I'm busy with work. Looking forward to spending more time with him now that things are easing up. I'm also going on leave for nearly 3 weeks in August, probably will just potter around the house, but it'll be nice to ignore e-mails for a while.

Sorry for not commenting a lot on people's challenges, I am reading them but Tapatalk doesn't work that well with my phone, and I haven't had much time to sit down and type on the PC. Great to see everyone getting on with things!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

3x per week deadlift, eh?

And squat and bench?

Wow.

For how long?

Initially it was supposed to be 3 weeks, we've done 2. But then he said after that, it's going to be "more of the same", which doesn't bode well! Maximum 5 more weeks... whelp...

• Like 1