Dukati's first tasks...

Dukati

Challenges.

It's my first one. So I'm going to reinforce my primary goals over these 4 weeks. I'll update my progress/slip-ups over the 4 weeks in this thread for accountability. And detail my addiction cravings and how I'm - overcoming/dealing with it - during this initial phase.

Diet Goal 1 : No cereals for breakfast. Zap the carbs at dinner.

So mornings it means I need to wake up 30 minutes before I normally do, get out the frying pan/pot and cook some eggs. I have some prepped beans and sausages that I have cooked in ready-made takeaway containers to microwave when I get bored of eggs, or to mix it up. Dinners in the house used to be meals with pasta's, rice, or some other variant of carbs. So now I will just boycott that stuff. Eat stir fry's without the rice. Eat the pasta sauce over some steamed broccoli instead of pasta. The goal here is substitution to slowly phase out carbs from my diet.  

Diet Goal 2 : No sugar in my tea or coffee. No soft drinks.

I'm starting to realise that tea without sugar is just dirty water and milk. But I think that's my brain just whinging like a bitch. I'll adapt. Eventually I'll overcome it. My addiction to sugar is very real. It's been only 6 days so far but I've been trying hard to eliminate sugar completely with mixed success. My goals are for no additional sugar in drinks, and no soft drinks. It's a lot harder than it sounds for me. Headaches are an issue, and I'm catching myself on the brink of anti-social moments at work. I know it'll pass but it sucks being me right now.

Fitness Goal 1 : Complete Steve's Beginner Body Workout

I seem to tap out easily instead of getting through the repetitions. I've never really done anything like this before. It's hard to push yourself when you are doing this alone. This challenge for me is to get to the end of those 3 repetitions.

Level Up Your Life Goal 1 : Get out the door 15 minutes before I normally do to go to work.

I'm up already for making breakfast, but the goal here is to get out the door earlier. This additional time does a lot for my frame of mind to begin the working day, and it helps a lot the type of work that I do.

I have found over the week that no sugar and carbs makes Dukati a dull boy. So managing that seems to be a big deal right now. The secrets to achieving the motivation for fitness and my morning prep work is sleeping patterns. I need at least 8 hrs a night. I normally sleep 6. So this is kind of another challenge but I primarily want to focus on the others right now. I hope this 8 hr cycle just seems to fit in.

I wish everyone here the best on their 4 week quests.

Diet goal 1: have you ever thought about making those egg cup things in advance and heating up a couple or eating them cold? They are also good if you squish them into a mini bagel or something if you need a bigger meal for lunch, etc.

It will also help your LUYL goal since you won't have to cook every single morning! 

• Like 2

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

I'm right there with you in the sugar craze. When I gave up sugar for a few days, it resulted in legit anxiety attacks. No headaches, but no bueno either. You're braver than I to try to make the break cold turkey! Keep us updated on how that goes and what you're using to cope. Best of luck on your first challenge! Remember to show yourself some grace and be patient. We're all rooting for you!

• Like 1

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

8 hours ago, Lifter5 said:

Diet goal 1: have you ever thought about making those egg cup things in advance and heating up a couple or eating them cold? .... It will also help your LUYL goal since you won't have to cook every single morning! 

Thats a great idea! I'll be giving that a try. Omelette cups with Mushrooms and Spinich. 

7 hours ago, durfette said:

I'm right there with you in the sugar craze. When I gave up sugar for a few days, it resulted in legit anxiety attacks. No headaches, but no bueno either. You're braver than I to try to make the break cold turkey! Keep us updated on how that goes and what you're using to cope. Best of luck on your first challenge! Remember to show yourself some grace and be patient. We're all rooting for you!

Thanks durfette! A friend told me to watch That Sugar Movie this weekend. I've never really thought about how influential sugar is to my behaviour. There will be slip ups as its a pretty big undertaking and sugar seems to be in everything. I threw out my Tim Tams (brilliant Australian Choc Biscuits) and tipped out the last of the fake OJ last night. I might have wept a little. 

A great way to cut out pasta is simply to replace pasta with vegetables. You can buy something called a "spiraliser" which is amazing for turning veg into ribbons, spaghetti and much more.  Check out Eat Drink Paleo's recipe ideas for inspiration. However you don't need a spiraliser to make ribbons, you can do that with just a speed grater.

Or how about some Spaghetti Squash!

Or Zoodles! This is supposed to be a good tool and it's pretty cheap too, around a tenner (£10) over here.

Another great option is to go for recipes that use vegetables instead of pasta, like Easy Moussaka (that's a uk site. Grill = broiler, aubergine = eggplant, minced beef = ground beef), Cheesy Potato Bake or Eggplant Lasagne. I find that sweet potatoes really satisfy my cravings for comfort food.  There's some good ideas Here though again they're from the UK.  Even just baking or roasting them is a really good idea.  lso, the Gusto video has links to their other videos which cover lots of basic cooking techniques.  Just in case you would like to check it out. 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 7/14/2016 at 8:52 AM, Dukati said:

It's hard to push yourself when you are doing this alone.

Is there ANYONE you could enlist as a workout partner? 

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

On July 14, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Dukati said:

tea without sugar is just dirty water and milk

I recognize that someone going through sugar withdrawal is not himself and so will give you a pass on the harsh description of my favorite beverage...this time :P 

As someone who also struggles with a sugar addiction, I promise that it does get better! One tip - don't be afraid of fat when you cut out the sugar. An extra dollop of salad dressing, a little more butter on the veggies, stuff like that. You don't have to go overboard but if you find yourself still craving the carbs after having cut them out for a few weeks, try boosting your fat intake a little. It always helps me a lot.

• Like 2

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

13 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

I recognize that someone going through sugar withdrawal is not himself and so will give you a pass on the harsh description of my favorite beverage...this time :P 

Sorry Badger. I too am fond of the tea. It was the Trainspotting-like sugar withdrawals, I promise. :) I'm drinking A LOT of tea and coffee at the moment (3-4 cups) to substitute the sugar cravings. I'd be a wreak without it. 

13 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Is there ANYONE you could enlist as a workout partner? 

Not at this stage. There is a gym that does 'group workout classes', so if I feel that I'm slipping or missing a workout here and there then I'll sign up. But I'm pretty keen to keep my costs down and to make a point of not needing that external motivation, and create the message that positive life changes can be free. But time will tell. So far I've been hitting my targets but I think I might recruit a loved one into some kettlebell circuits soon.   

On 7/17/2016 at 1:17 AM, Guzzi said:

A great way to cut out pasta is simply to replace pasta with vegetables. You can buy something called a "spiraliser" which is amazing for turning veg into ribbons, spaghetti and much more.  Check out Eat Drink Paleo's recipe ideas for inspiration. However you don't need a spiraliser to make ribbons, you can do that with just a speed grater....

... Another great option is to go for recipes that use vegetables instead of pasta, like Easy Moussaka (that's a uk site. Grill = broiler, aubergine = eggplant, minced beef = ground beef), Cheesy Potato Bake or Eggplant Lasagne. I find that sweet potatoes really satisfy my cravings for comfort food.  There's some good ideas Here though again they're from the UK.  Even just baking or roasting them is a really good idea.  lso, the Gusto video has links to their other videos which cover lots of basic cooking techniques.  Just in case you would like to check it out. 

Very handy recipes Guzzi! Thank you! I will be checking them out towards the end of the week. I'll let you know how I go. Keen to get one of those "spiraliser" tools but I just bought a "Sous Vide Immersion Circulator" (which is just an electric stick that warms water to cook awesome steaks and chicken breast with) and my Kitchen Fun Fund is in the red. So next month I'll freak out my pasta loving neighbors when I buy one of them! 

Thanks for the awesome comments everyone.

I hope your challenges are going well. My food intake has increased a little and I'm enjoying the challenge of eating differently. I can get through 2 whole circuits of Steve's Beginner Body Workout which is progress from a week ago. 

I've taken a photo of myself for a "Before Photo" and put it on the fridge. I have also put a picture of a very cool Racing Suit I wish to buy - that is about 3 sizes smaller then I am now - and put it on the sun visor of my car. So when I'm driving around for work I can look at it, and don't "accidentally" get a drive thru cheeseburger. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Hows your first week going @Dukati?

Good on the no carbs. 

Good on the fitness routine.

But my 'No Sugar' quest took a massive detour yesterday night. Lots of Bourbon and Cokes with the neighbors last night. I'm waiting for the impending hangover to drown my senses like watching the growing tsunami from the beachline. This ones gonna be bad... 

But otherwise going well. 

• Like 2

I have found new training partners! My neighbour. We are both 'full figured' lads and after sharing many Bourbons 2 nights ago he has confided that he ought to do something as well. This is great as I'm about to start weight training and having another person there is great motivation. And my wife bought herself a light kettlebell and I recently downloaded Keith Weber's Extreme Kettlebell workout. So we are going to try a chapter or 2 of this for fun. We both are using lighter kettlebells (I'm sure it'll still kick my ass) so our form is correct and we get used to the exercises, then upgrade to gradually heavier weights as time goes on. My wife is also subjected to my diet changing dinners and breakfasts and it's now something she kinda wants to do. So I'm no longer doing this alone.

Today is a big day. The neighbour and I are doing a 5km 'paced walk', and I eventually want to do this 3 times a week before I get to work in the morning. I'm also mowing the lawn after a few weeks of neglect and my place is 1900sq/m of shin high grass and clover, so that's an ordeal. And this afternoon is Kettlebells with the wife.

Tonight we are having a BBQ with the neighbours to debrief and have a laugh. Beef Kebab Skewers and Salad, and some fresh marinated prawns.

I'm off the beers and fuzzy sugary drinks for awhile, so I was Googling yesterday for 'healthier alternatives' to my much loved Bourbon and Cokes / Lagers. I'm going to try Caribbean Rum, Lime and Soda Water. Wine and some dry Champagnes isn't that bad, and I'm sure there is more nutrition in Wine then Rum. I don't know. I'll experiment.  

My weekly goal of getting to work early has been great. I'm waking up earlier so I feel more productive during the day. The 8+ hrs of sleep a night is helping. Healthier sleeping patterns and a bit of physical exercise are doing wonders for depression and anxiety. I'm going to try and fit in a paced walk in the mornings so my wake up times / bed time will change again.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their challenges. Wish you guys a great weekend.

• Like 2

+1 on the veggie noodles, be sure not to overcook them or they turn to gross mush, I learned the hard way.  The spiral thing was no more than 10 bucks at Target or Bed Bath or Wal-Mart or someplace like that.  If you have a vege peeler I bet that would work good enough to see if you like them.  Sugar cravings need to be cold turkey in my experience or they never go away, it's like trying to do just a little heroin.  Once your blood sugar is stable again in a couple months you can have some every now and again.  Bourbon and Coke obviously is going to mess things up big time, not only cuz of the sugar, but when you've had a few you're more likely to make other bad choices, and then when you're nursing a hangover your discipline will also be shot to hell and your body will be screaming for sugar and carbs since your blood sugar will be on a roller coaster.  I could never drink and do what is hard for me when I'm sober. :)

On 7/24/2016 at 9:08 AM, evolution said:

Sugar cravings need to be cold turkey in my experience or they never go away, it's like trying to do just a little heroin

It's so different for everyone. For me, cold turkey set me up for failure. I got really anxious and the restrictive mindset overtook my focus so it was less healthy for me personally. Dialing it back slowly has helped me and the cravings have diminished significantly in a short time. I'm still working on it. 

Congrats on the accountabilibuddies, @Dukati!!! That's awesome!

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

Hey @Dukati how did your paced walk go? 

Ive been meaning to post a link here for a few days to an article I found online about sleep patterns/cycles. Here is the link, and here is a quick recap of the most important bits...

Walker says your sleep quality does change as the night wears on. “The time of night when you sleep makes a significant difference in terms of the structure and quality of your sleep,” he explains. Your slumber is composed of a series of 90-minute cycles during which your brain moves from deep, non-rapid eye movement (non-REM) sleep to REM sleep. “That 90-minute cycle is fairly stable throughout the night,” Walker explains. “But the ratio of non-REM to REM sleep changes.” 

He says that non-REM sleep tends to dominate your slumber cycles in the early part of the night. But as the clock creeps toward daybreak, REM sleep muscles in. That’s significant, because some research has suggested that non-REM sleep is deeper and more restorative than lighter, dream-infused REM sleep—though Walker says both offer important benefits. 

What does this have to do with the perfect bedtime? The shift from non-REM to REM sleep happens at certain times of the night regardless of when you go to bed, Walker says. So if you hit the sack very late—at, say, 3 AM—your sleep will tilt toward lighter, REM-heavy sleep. And that reduction in deep, restorative sleep may leave you groggy and blunt-minded the next day. 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously