T-Rose's First Challenge: I Choose You!

Wobbegong

I've been poking around NF for a while and last week finally got an account and started posting on the forums. This community is great! I'm really happy to be here and ready to begin doing better. A world of dreams and adventure awaits! 

There are many things I want to change about my lifestyle, but I am definitely the type who bites off more than she can chew and runs out of steam after a week or so on a new "plan." So I will try hard to limit my challenges to something reasonable, and add more progressively. Habits are formed over time. 

Fitness:

• Complete the NF Beginner Body Weight Workout at least twice a week! (Aim for 3x, MWF -- if I miss a day, get back on it the next day!)

--> I tested this workout this morning and am going to make a few modifications:

• I can't do a pushup with proper form, so I will replace pushups with single-leg half pushups. A sub-goal of this challenge is to be able to do at least one pushup with perfect form by the end of four weeks.
  • 15s plank is not enough to challenge me; today I did 35s before deciding to stop. I will set 45s as my standard to force myself to put some effort in, and will add 5s every week. By the end of the challenge I'll be planking for more than a minute!
  • I live in an apartment right above a couple with a new baby, so jumping jacks would be really mean. I will do 20x forward punches and uppercuts on both arms and 20x front kicks and side kicks on both legs instead. (I did 5x of each for the warmup this morning and it definitely got me sweating.) 

--> This workout commitment also includes an appropriate warm up and cool-down stretching

Nutrition:

For the past few weeks I have been training myself to stop going back for seconds at dinner. It's becoming a habit! So for this challenge period, I will...

• Eat heavily processed foods no more than three times a week. I think my most common culprits are currently crackers, Nature Valley granola (so much sugar!), candy (Reese's Minis at the office, ugh, and Nutella), Annie's mac & cheese, and any form of soda (I drink it rarely, but want it far too often). If I have one serving of any of these things, that's it for all of them for that day, and no more than three per week! In addition, pay more attention and determine if these really are the problem offenders and how often I really am downing them.

• Bring lunch from home at least 3 days a week. My company has catered lunches once a week, so this leaves only one day for me to go out and spend too much money on too much food. 

Life:

• Research online TEFL/TOEFL programs (including taking notes!) and then pick one and GET STARTED! No one will come to me with a dream job on a platter, and the company I currently work for is really just astonishingly terrible. Only I can get myself out! 

• UPDATE 8/1: Purchased a TEFL program, new goal is to complete at least 1 section in the next two weeks. 

I think the most difficult parts of this challenge will be bringing lunch from home and sticking to the workout routine for four solid weeks (aside from PE in school I've never lasted that long). Hopefully staying accountable and posting updates here will help keep me going strong! 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Traxex said:

This is adorable!! I love it!

Thank you! I really appreciate the support! 

1 hour ago, AmayaDances said:

Loving your challenge! I think you're gonna be the very best :)

To catch up is my real test! To train hard is my caaaaaauuuse! 

• Like 1

Fun challenge!!!!

Just take each day one step at a time.  You'll be at the end of 4 weeks before you know it.  

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

On 7/17/2016 at 11:27 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Just take each day one step at a time.  You'll be at the end of 4 weeks before you know it.  

I think that's probably going to be my most important piece of advice this challenge. 

On 7/17/2016 at 11:30 AM, Magistra Fay said:

I like how well thought out each of your challenges is!

I think you'll do great!

Thank you! Since I joined NF toward the end of a 4 week challenge I took the extra couple of days to put some thought into this one. It's already harder than I thought!

Good luck and welcome! Have you perchance seen the T-Rex run on American Ninja Warrior? If not, you should support your fellow Tyrant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkNmY_Zt5A0

I'm also doing a slightly modified BBWW 2x a week, with a 3x stretch goal. I can't even do the knees pushup yet. I'm at a counter. I'll get there. You'll get there. We'll all get there!

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

2 hours ago, M_J said:

Good luck and welcome! Have you perchance seen the T-Rex run on American Ninja Warrior? If not, you should support your fellow Tyrant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkNmY_Zt5A0

I'm also doing a slightly modified BBWW 2x a week, with a 3x stretch goal. I can't even do the knees pushup yet. I'm at a counter. I'll get there. You'll get there. We'll all get there!

WOW what an amazing performance by T-Rex! Thanks for sharing, that was awesome! I have a new hero. Tyrants unite!

I did my first day of my modified today and man... those one-leg half pushups were way harder today. Idk what that's all about, but I'm thinking I should maybe drop down to halves so I can do the full set in perfect form. After all, if I can't do them with good form all the way through, I can't really do them, can I? 

As with all exercise, it's a progression, and you gotta start somewhere. The three most important tricks I've learned so far are 1) having someone to cheer for you, 2) knowing when to increase difficulty, and 3) most important, deciding to do it. I made friends with the janitor in my building. He's morbidly obese and every day he watches me start my climb up the stairs, and he shakes his head and says "I could never do that." And I tell him, "If you ever want to start, all it takes is a single stair." I try to be encouraging, but he clearly doesn't believe in himself, and that's a real bummer. So I say, even if you're doing pushups on the counter, at least you're doing something, and you have plans to do more! We'll all get there! 

MONDAY RESULTS:

(I wrote a lot. I don't expect anyone to read it and I put it in a spoiler box to help make it easier to avoid. But I wanted to write it down for posterity and to force myself to stay accountable.) If you can't quote spoilers and want to, complain at me and I'll edit the post! Sorry, I'm new here and unfamiliar with forum mechanics in general. 

Spoiler
  • Forgot to weigh myself  (not part of the challenge but sort of a good starting point), but I did measure on Thursday, so that's good
  • Warmup, BBWW, and cool-down stretching completed
    • Started out strong on the one-leg half-pushups, but was unable to complete ten with excellent form. Will try half-pushups on Wednesday and report back. 
    • Not enough weight in my milk jug for dumbbell rows (currently 5 pints H2O). Will add a pint for Wednesday and report back, may need to add more (but if anyone wants to remind me to increase slowly, that's ok too). 
    • 45 second plank successful! Will continue at 45 sec on Wednesday (and hopefully Friday) and try to increase to 50s next week
    • Not sure if I'm stretching enough?? I will know when I wake up sore tomorrow. May add a yoga routine on off days to address that, although working out every morning for four weeks may be too much for me to commit to right now (I don't want to fall off the bandwagon)
  • I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday and bought a bunch of vegetables and packed them into mason jars for salads throughout the week. Took a salad for lunch today and it was delicious! Lunch from home = success. 
  • Successfully fought off temptation and avoided soda and cheetos and candy at work today (brought a nectarine for a snack), but then ate Girl Scout cookies this afternoon AND chocolate when my roommate set a bag of it between us on the couch. I knew this would be the hardest challenge. Tomorrow, no crap! (So I should prepare myself with more and better snacks to fend off temptation). 
    • Breakfast: lentil and sweet potato stew (high in protein, fiber, iron, and carbs; low fat)
    • Snack: nectarine (sugar? I guess fruits are carbs) and I think two cashews (got distracted while eating them) (fat but negligible)
    • Lunch: salad (red-leaf lettuce, cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, avocado, homemade vinaigrette of olive oil, red wine and balsamic vinegars and salt) (vegetable carbs, fat from dressing, not sure what macro vinegar falls under but probably also carbs since it's wine)
    • Snack: trefoils (9!! WAY too many) and two chocolates (110 calories total) (carbs)
    • Dinner: thai green curry and rice (...carbs? some protein from chicken, fat from the coconut milk, carbs from veggies and rice)
  • New addendum goal: track what I'm eating and get a handle on my macros. I don't have the patience to weigh my food and I honestly can't justify prioritizing something that finicky, but generally speaking I am aware of how much of everything I ate today and it was way too carb heavy and protein light. Probably did ok for fat but inconsistent quality. Anyone who wants to comment on this is welcome and encouraged to do so. 
  • Research online TEFL/TOEFL programs - I sort of know which one I want but I just need to make sure it's good enough (it does not include a practicum requirement). Maybe reach out to some program graduates if I can?  
  • Like 2

Update 7/20:

SUCCESSFULLY DID NOT EAT CRAP TWO DAYS IN A ROW!!!!! Super proud of myself. Also packed twelve mason jars full of salad for myself and my room mate on Sunday and have been bringing those for lunch. Lunch was provided today so I didn't bring anything, but I had a jar of salad with dinner. Killin' it. 

Tuesday was not a workout day, so I just did my regular commute exercise, but I did follow up and find some reviews of the TEFL program I like. On track! (Also paid bills and reviewed funds!)

Awesome workout today, felt much better about half pushups (great form through all three sets!). Last 45s plank was really rough... 50s next week?!?! I'll do it. Still not sure about stretching though. How much is enough? The "How to Warm Up" article says it's mostly focused on the hips, legs, and buttocks because we sit on them all day, but I mostly stand at work and spend three hours commuting by walking/train, and don't usually get a seat there either. Lots of tension in my shoulders -- is my keyboard set at a bad height? Investigate tomorrow!

Also more fund review today, hoping bill payments would've gone through so I can determine how much buffer I have to buy TEFL program... maybe by tomorrow? (Maybe three companies decided they didn't want my money this month and all fees are waived?) 

• Like 1

I like your challenge. You managed to keep the number of goals down even if some of them feels like a lot for you.

And your updates sounds like you are doing good. :D So go, go, go! Gotta catch 'em all!

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

7 hours ago, Dagger said:

I like your challenge. You managed to keep the number of goals down even if some of them feels like a lot for you.

And your updates sounds like you are doing good. :D So go, go, go! Gotta catch 'em all!

Well, there's no point in calling it a "challenge" if it isn't difficult on some level, right? Almost all of my goals are things that are fairly easy for me to accomplish in any given day; the real issue for me is sticking with them to form healthy habits, which is why most of my goals focus on consistency. Avoiding eating things that my tongue finds delicious but my body finds disgusting is definitely the hardest for me, and I definitely have the extra mental hurdle of not wanting to start changing, which is probably why Monday went so badly (I misread the challenge and didn't start Sunday). But I held myself accountable and that helped a lot on Tuesday and Wednesday. This morning, I went ahead and had granola on my yogurt for my third bad item for the week, but it made me feel so terrible all morning (physically, not in terms of guilt) I don't think I'll have any trouble staying away for the rest of the challenge. 

The only other thing I've really been struggling with is setting appropriate difficulty levels for my workout routine (and thoroughness with stretching, which isn't even a listed challenge), and the more I practice the better I get, so that one should certainly take care of itself by the end of four weeks. Then next challenge, I'll have a better feel for where to start and what I can expect in terms of improvement. 

Thanks for your encouragement and support! It's always good to think critically about why I do what I do, and what the hidden goals are beneath the stated ones. In this case, do all these things not to complete them, but to establish habits. <3

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

Almost all of my goals are things that are fairly easy for me to accomplish in any given day; the real issue for me is sticking with them to form healthy habits, which is why most of my goals focus on consistency.

That seems like a great thing to do in a challenge. Specifically because you can focus that this is just four weeks. Yeah, you don't mean to quit after that, but focusing on four weeks, then down into each week and then down into each day really helps me.

I misread the challenge and didn't start Sunday

I will always start my challenges on Mondays, because that is how my brain works. So don't worry about it, you can always say this challenge started on Monday and then run a day longer than the stated dates (that is what I do).

it made me feel so terrible all morning (physically, not in terms of guilt) I don't think I'll have any trouble staying away for the rest of the challenge. 

Anyway time this happens with bad habits you are trying to quit, it is awesome. So yay!

It's always good to think critically about why I do what I do, and what the hidden goals are beneath the stated ones.

The hidden goals! I like how you phrased that. Both as in the goals we want to eventually reach, but also everything else that comes with each goal both foreseen and unforeseen.

In this case, do all these things not to complete them, but to establish habits. <3

<3 building habits. It is what I'm doing too. :)

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Week 1 progress report:

Fitness:

- met goal: BBWW 2x/wk

- did not meet reach goal: BBWW 3x/wk

Nutrition:

- met goal: bring food from home 3x/wk, buy lunch no more than 1x/wk

--> brought food from home 4x, did not eat out for lunch at all

- did not meet goal: eat crap no more than 3x/wk, 1x/day

--> ate crap 2x Monday, 1x Thursday, 1x Friday, 2x Sunday 

--> Still fairly proud of myself for sticking to the challenge Tues/Wed, and for keeping the amount of crap I ate relatively low. Room for improvement here but I definitely did better than I thought I would. Today I was kind of feeling like I failed so I went ahead and ate more than I probably would have otherwise, so I should be aware of that. A four week challenge is about improvement, so every day is a new opportunity to do better. 

Life:

- Researched and selected the program I like. Have yet to pay for it or start. I'm kind of terrified of buying it because 1) money and 2) commitment but I'm so rapidly approaching the breaking point at work that I may not be able to afford NOT to get started... just so that I can line up something (hopefully) better for me/get away from this situation. I guess this is where those 20 seconds of courage come in, right? 

• Like 2

Nice work on your first week.

I definitely feel like the first week of the challenge is when I feel out the goals I've set. I try to hit them as best I can, but I also recognize that I might not have set my goals right or I might have but I couldn't quite grasp them on the first week. But that is alright because there are three more weeks.

8 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

Hey there, nice work on your goals. What's holding you back on signing up for your course? The 20 seconds of courage thing is useful to get yourself over the line with the right decision, but if you've got really valid concerns there's no point jumping off the ledge just for the sake of it!

Hello yourself! Thank you for stopping by and for the encouragement and words of wisdom. Allow me to word-vomit in response:

I recently got a new job that pays a lot more than my old one (still not enough to live on in this country) and moved out of my parents' house with the help of a much better-paid best friend/roommate who handles more than half the rent in exchange for my mad cooking skills. But now that I'm paying rent (even less than half), I'm not saving as quickly as I used to -- in fact, I've been trying to spend some time reviewing my finances, because it seems like I may actually be loosing money. 

Good TEFL programs cost at least $1000, which is not completely out of reach by any means but is still a purchase to consider very carefully. But with my other recent expenses I'm just not at all on target for where I want to be financially. I can definitely afford to lay down the money, but it will have a heavy impact on my bank account. But since I *can* afford it, I think I'm just worrying unnecessarily? I can't really do what I want without getting this certification (it's possible but not really encouraged... and it would be a disservice to myself and my future students), and I really CAN'T stay where I am now and stay sane, so laying down the cash is really the only viable option, right? 

On the one hand, I want to wait and save a little in my crappy job and then get the certification (preserve the status quo, avoid scary change things, feel secure in some ways). But on the other, isn't it better to pay for it now and then earn those savings back while also working toward getting certified so I can get away from my job sooner? It would put me in what I think of as the "scary low-funds range" where I haven't been since I started working full time, but I would hopefully recover pretty quickly, and I would improve my situation/prospects faster.

Basically I just keep thinking in circles like this and end up doing nothing, which is where those 20 seconds of courage come in. If I jump off the ledge, IS it just for the sake of it (it being the challenge, I guess)? Or is it jumping of the ledge for the sake of my present sanity and future happiness? Normally in situations like this I would get someone to talk me into it, because I'm super wishy-washy about decision making. But I feel like I already have made the decision, and now am just being a wimp about committing to it. 

8 hours ago, Dagger said:

Nice work on your first week.

I definitely feel like the first week of the challenge is when I feel out the goals I've set. I try to hit them as best I can, but I also recognize that I might not have set my goals right or I might have but I couldn't quite grasp them on the first week. But that is alright because there are three more weeks.

I'm glad to hear you agree! I definitely learn best by doing things, so I could've spent a year following people around on these forums and still not know where to start my own challenge any better. By actually trying for this first week, tracking my progress, and holding myself accountable, I feel like I've learned a lot about where I am and how viable my goals really are. I've adjusted them a bit throughout this week and maybe I'll have to continue doing so, but especially the really hard one (staying away from heavily processed nonsense) I want to leave as is and struggle to achieve. I think after three more weeks I'll be there! 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

I really CAN'T stay where I am now and stay sane, so laying down the cash is really the only viable option, right? 

I feel like I already have made the decision, and now am just being a wimp about committing to it. 

Two things: first, you always have a choice. There are a thousand things you can do with your life and what you choose is up to you. I'm not questioning your decision, because it sounds like you've thought it through and you know what you're doing, but if you get to the jump and it doesn't feel right, or you've changed your mind, or you're not sure what you want any more, then take your time. Second, it sounds like the big problem here is that you don't like your job. There's no shame at all in trying to fix that and get yourself feeling financially secure before you make a big commitment like the TEFL programme (unless you'd be doing that full time, which would partly fix the job question ...)

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

I haven't been on much at all this week due to other craziness and concurrent deadlines, but things are winding down now and I just thought I'd check in. 

First and foremost, HUGE thanks to @Myrdinn for the advice and words of wisdom. I am the type of person who is very good at knowing what isn't working but sometimes struggles to figure out what will, and then when I do I overcome enormous inertia (probably no more than anyone else, but I can be dramatic about it) in shifting toward that course. Usually the last phase before I finally overcome is a lot of whining whereby I try to convince myself I've made the wrong choice.

So, I went ahead and purchased the course. I didn't have to. I could've waited. I could've found another job, or kept plugging away at this one, but the time is never going to be "right" and, ultimately, the only one who can decide what I do with my life is me. I've done the research and I'm ready for change, and I can afford it, so it's time to make it happen. 

As for other aspects of my challenge, I am doing pretty well! BBWW Monday and Wednesday this week, including a bear crawl pushup variation as discussed with @V for Vetinari and @x Valkyrie x during the Monday warmup and the Wednesday first round. I have found that plank for 45 seconds three times is a lot harder than once, so I dropped it down to 30s for the first two rounds and my increase time on the last, so I ended up 30/30/50 this week. By the end of the four week challenge I will be planking for a full minute!! At least once!! I have yet to complete my reach goal of a third BBWW in a week but maybe this weekend it'll happen. 

Not eating super processed crap was a lot easier this week. I had crackers with dinner on Tuesday (crackers, boursin, grapes, olives, and salami, all in moderation -- the usual way I ingest them, as it turns out), but otherwise I've been very good! I did buy a danish today from a bakery down the street, but I wasn't hungry at the time and I haven't eaten it yet. It's kind of an experiment to see if I even want to eat junk when it's right there... so far I haven't felt much temptation to do so. I used to have a problem with not being able to avoid eating what was in front of me, so if I've overcome that, amazing! If I just have extra willpower today because reasons... minor successes count too! 

I did continue to bring lunch from home this week -- last week I had a perfect score, this week I missed one day. But I probably ate better that one day than the meals I've been bringing from home, and my goal does allow for eating out once a week, so it still counts as a success! 

• Like 3

Not eating super processed crap was a lot easier this week. I had crackers with dinner on Tuesday (crackers, boursin, grapes, olives, and salami, all in moderation -- the usual way I ingest them, as it turns out), but otherwise I've been very good! I did buy a danish today from a bakery down the street, but I wasn't hungry at the time and I haven't eaten it yet. It's kind of an experiment to see if I even want to eat junk when it's right there... so far I haven't felt much temptation to do so. I used to have a problem with not being able to avoid eating what was in front of me, so if I've overcome that, amazing! If I just have extra willpower today because reasons... minor successes count too! 

Awesome!

• Like 1

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

15 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

the time is never going to be "right" and, ultimately, the only one who can decide what I do with my life is me.

This is so true for so many things in life.

15 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

I used to have a problem with not being able to avoid eating what was in front of me, so if I've overcome that, amazing! If I just have extra willpower today because reasons... minor successes count too! 

Either case it is good!

Plus your week sounded like it has been going good so far. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, V for Vetinari said:

Awesome!

YEAH!

3 hours ago, Dagger said:

Either case it is good!

Plus your week sounded like it has been going good so far. :)

Still going well! Not sure how my old "don't eat seconds at dinner" thing will go this weekend (at my parent's house, situational habits...), but I will do my best! In the end, I didn't eat that danish at all yesterday. 

• Like 1

So, I went ahead and purchased the course. I didn't have to. I could've waited. I could've found another job, or kept plugging away at this one, but the time is never going to be "right" and, ultimately, the only one who can decide what I do with my life is me. I've done the research and I'm ready for change, and I can afford it, so it's time to make it happen. 

HELL

YEAH

Well done. How do you feel now you've made the decision?

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

11 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

HELL

YEAH

Well done. How do you feel now you've made the decision?

Relieved. Like I was making a big deal out of nothing. Like I've taken the first step toward becoming a superhero, and also like now I better follow through or else

Probably more than anything else, I now feel like there's a clear way out of my current situation, and that has been a huge weight off my shoulders. (Actually possibly too huge a weight -- this weekend I kind of felt like I had just finished finals and was now on break. I just slept and ate and relaxed all weekend, it was amazing/terrible. I don't quite have time to decompress like that yet!) But I have to temper that, because buying the program is just the first step -- now I have to actually learn the material! 

I also feel really grateful, because I do have the mobility to make this happen for myself, and I do have the strength of conviction to follow through, but mostly because I have community (both here and in RL) supporting me and cheering for me and genuinely hoping I do find success. So again, SERIOUSLY, thank you. 

• Like 2