• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Dragon Reborn—the leader long prophesied who will save the world, but in the saving destroy it; the savior who will run mad and kill all those dearest to him—is on the run from his destiny.

callandor_by_regalscourgeconcepts-d96rap

Two guesses as to whether he succeeds or not.

I sorta dropped off the face of the earth last challenge. I didn't mean to, but... yeah. The job isn't really brutal, but the hours are, and I haven't been good about getting around to you all like I wish I had.

Still, things are being adjusted. I unfortunately find myself in a place between talking about the challenge and doing the challenge; unfortunately, that only ends one way.

And so much has happened, just in the past week! I managed to hit the Simple requirements - 100 one-arm kettlebell swings and 10 TGUs at 70 pounds in 15:10. I swung the 53-pounder 200 times without dropping it. And then today, I managed to do clapping pull ups for the first time!

What a week it's been. Makes me suspicious - like sickness is hiding somewhere in the facade of my health. And yet, here I stand on the other side of these things. I do not feel weak at all. In fact, despite the lack of sleep, it all feels mental. Put me under the bar or in the ring and the body functions just fine. I suspect it's because I've been eating a lot better lately - more food and higher quality. Good stuff. It's bearing me up. And also the fact that I spend all day sitting as opposed to intermittently lifting things.

05867b66760dbc7ddd78cc33b307390d.jpg

"Do you have dreams when you sleep?"

Rand is having a hard time having just signed up for the whole Doomed Savior of the World bit. It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

But he decides he needs to test the prophecies concerning the Dragon Reborn in one last desperate try to not be the person the Creator has decreed he must be.

Like Rand, I have tests that I must pass. Passing means I did better than an 80 on both of them. DDS's idea, not mine. But to hell with it - I'll take the pass. Rand's goal is about getting to work, doing the assignments and making sure that the grades are good enough every day.

eb42ba546de2a547b67435a0e9c7c45e.jpg

"A bloody hero. Thom, if I ever look like acting the hero again, you kick me."
     "And what would you have done differently?"
     "Just kick me!"

So yeah, the picture from last challenge actually takes place in this book. I forgot. Oops.

Still, he's all about hard living, and he's even more about that now that he's had that pesky ailment dealt with. And me, I'm learning how to get my back unwhack and it's changing measurements and playing merry havoc with the data like I knew it would. But the goal here is about staying the course - eating well and fasting and staying in control. I got this. Really.

b0c0f9ce59b00e9fd7c5a05e107f0e82.jpg

"What is your name? If I have to share this ship with you for days yet, I can't keep calling you girl."
     "I call myself Mandarb. I will teach you something, farmboy. In the Old Tongue, Mandarb means 'blade'. It is a name worthy of a Hunter of the Horn."
     "You see that black stallion? His name is Mandarb."

Oh, Perrin. You have no idea how much trouble you're about to get in. But it's cool, man. You lift.

Training goals are here for this challenge.

8656915d4b4e7380beac78a66f16636f.jpg

Til shade is gone,
til water is gone
Into the shadow with teeth bared
Screaming defiance with the last breath
To spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the Last Day.

Yesssssss. And now we get to meet some of the badasses. They're good characters, yes, but these were the badasses who inspired me in the first place. The Aiel.

The Aiel have come out of their desert homeland in search of a story - of He Who Comes With The Dawn (go on and guess who that is. Certainly not the guy who everyone swears looks like an Aiel, that's for sure).

And believe it or not, they represent the reading and writing goal this time around. I have a writing challenge up in August - 40K words. With the new job forcing me into a cram session every day, my work is cut out for me. But it's going to be great, I think. I got a lot of world building done and managed to gloss over the cracks in a lot of what I was doing. Now I just need to make some scenes and everything should be good.

And that does it I think.

I don't know how well I'll do getting around to people this time. But I promise I'll do my best.

And now let us commence the next step of the journey.

• Like 8

Ah yes. The dreaded "talk about it or so it" paradox. I know that well. 

Glad the job is going well for you though, brutal hours aside. But you deserve some stability after the last few years of hard work and chaos. :)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BlackTezca said:

Good to know that I wasn't alone in dropping off the face of the Earth.  Also good to know that we're coming back!  WOOO!!!

Let's do this!  Let's kick some ass!!

Well, you're the boss.

11 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Glad the job is going well for you though, brutal hours aside. But you deserve some stability after the last few years of hard work and chaos. :)

It's nice, actually, in a way. Get up, go work, get out, work out. Except that I'm getting dragged into being with people again. Guuuuuh. It's not the potential impact on my measurements that bothers me, it's the concept of possibly losing out on attributes.

"Do you know how to unite the people behind you, Child Carridin? The quickest way? Loose a lion - a rabid lion - in the streets. And when panic grips the people, once it has turned their bowels to water, calmly tell them you will deal with it. Then you kill it, and order them to hang the carcass up where everyone can see. Before they have time to think, you give another order, and it will be obeyed. And if you continue to give orders, they will continue to obey, for you will be the one who saved them, and who better to lead?"

Rand: -/-

Mat: 1/1

Perrin: 1/1

Aiel: 1/1

A quiet day today. I find my Saturdays tend to line up like this. After everything that's happened, I find myself wanting to move slow and not deal with people. With my parents out of town, this is easily facilitated.

I tried a thing with my cooking today. I've been cycling my carbs high and low depending on the day's training. Today was a low day. But I didn't want to do rice today - it's harmless calories, but empty too. I wanted, instead, to do some sweet potato. The problem, though, is that I love to do ground meat for my supper, and rice works well as a starch that I can blend into the meat to make it all stick together. So, I shredded some sweet potato, did some oil in the pan, and fried the whole thing together.

And... it was not bad. It was not bad at all. The potato absorbed all the fat and got warm without crisping too much. Obviously, if I was doing straight hashbrowns, I'd have fried those suckers, but I would have had to do it separate from the meat and in the end I was looking for something that would bind rather than crunch. It's the price I pay. Do it up with some watercress (a most powerful food) and you have some good filling eating that manages to stay light.

Got some writing done today. Put some finishing touches on one of the magic systems and started working on characters. Filled out some stuff about their personalities and such. Getting a little more involved with them than I normally do, in that I'm actually bothering to give them separate and distinct personalities this time. That ought to make things more fun. :D

I was hoping I'd get out to Ruck today, but that didn't wind up happening. About the time I was getting ready to put it together, the skies opened up and it poured and poured for hours. And lightning, and thunder. I decided to go ahead and lay low. Got an extra session of S&S in; we'll see how it plays with my back. So far, so good. I can still bend and flex without any kind of undue pain. I did some abdominal work afterward, but nothing involving movement. Instead, I did some hardstyle breathing, which seems to be pulling the double duty of correcting my tilt and building the musculature. Again, like I said, my back is feeling good.

Since tomorrow's going to be indulgent, I'm going to try some tips here and see if they make a difference or not. Should be fun to see. :)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Urgan said:

Here for this, because OF COURSE.

Always good to see you. :)

It has to report. To a Halfman, usually. Light, if Heartsbane saw what the ravens saw, we would all have been dead before we reached the mountains.

Rand: -/-

Mat: 1/1

Perrin: 1/1

Aiel: 1/1, 13%

And, that was day 1 I guess? For reasons? But okay whatever.

I went out and trained clients. Stopped by the farmer's market to pick up some high-grade junk food, which was delicious. Homemade peanut brittle, fudge, a German kuchen pastry with blackberries and peach. But only had it after training.

Warmed Up

Pull Ups: 3x8,8,7

OHP: 1x4x45

1x3x70

3x5x93

Deadlift: 2x6 Tuck Jumps

1x3x135

1x5x176

Hanging Bent Leg Raises: 3x7

Cooldown

Finisher: 1 minute interval, 10 MPH, with 1 minute walking, 10 minutes.

Notes:

• OHP numbers are from an extrapolated total based on me effing up the first time I tried them. I thought I might have kept my pressing strength. Maybe I did with a kettlebell, but it didn't have a straight transfer over to barbell. If I were going to guess, I'd say it has something to do with my arm and hand being able to circle and follow the patterns they want to follow, versus a barbell keeping you locked in place. Of course, it could also be that I haven't done a lot of practice with bent arm overhead pressing. Regardless, my weight today was an extrapolation based on my previous failure, but it worked.
  • I don't normally do finishers. I'm not looking to make them a part of my training again. I wouldn't have done a finisher today if I had my choice. The original plan was to finish up, go to the park, and run hill sprints for 20 minutes. But I was running behind to go pick up my mom at the airport, and there was no way I could make the time. So, I improvised. I used the treadmill to get up to speed and just gunned it off and on for 10 minutes.

Managed to make it all work somehow, though. We ended up going out to dinner afterward, and it was every bit as indulgent as I thought it would be. Steak and sweet potato fries, and cheesecake that was creme-brulee'd.

I honestly feel like it all worked. I'm sitting here at the end of the day full and satisfied, but not in pain. I finished my training terribly hungry, ate well, and all the junk food is disposed of.

I'll take tomorrow to fast and break it before going to bed... and everything should be fine.

• Like 1

Mmm, high grade junk food. Om nom. Tasty fuel for greatness.

Thought on OHP: Nothing quite takes the place of bilateral exercises that use your body as a unit. KB movements also have a technical nature to them and trend toward the power aspect in many cases, yes? This would account for them not hitting the same notes as a barbell press. 

• Like 1

Following, of course. You know. Just in case there's some talking about it in addition to doing it this time ^.^

Also, congrats on hitting Simple! That's a hell of a thing, and you should be VERY proud. Well done, well done indeed!

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm definitely going to read these books now. I was thinking of (sorta re)reading the Dark Tower series now that more(all?) of the books are out, but your posts with WoT just really have me intrigued.

• Like 1

in for sure!

if you like ground meat with sweet potatoes this is my go-to recipe

sweet potato and pork hash

1 quantity ground pork (not sausage) or another ground meat

1 quantity (or 3/4 quantity) sweet potatoes (volume)

1/2 quantity onions - mild or sweet is best (volume)

* peel and cube your sweet potatotes - like, 1 cm cubes. or so. It's not critical. put them in a large bowl and cover with warm water, slap a plate on top, and microwave for about 10 minutes to get them to start cooking. goal is to get them a little tender but not falling apart.

* cook the ground meat, set aside and reserve drippings if you like.

*  while you're doing that, chop the onions and saute them in meat drippings or in olive oil, your call. this is where you season - I like to add a little salt, lots of ground pepper, and some spicy ground chili pepper. also you can put in chopped hot peppers if that's your jam but do this at the end of the process.

* put the meat back into the onions and cook for a couple of minutes.

* drain the sweet potatoes and put them in with the onions and meat. cook until potatoes are eating consistency (some people like them a little firmer than others) and the flavors are starting to combine.

this is good on its own, and even better with a fried egg or two on top.

• Like 1

Following following!  Yay!  Hugs!

tumblr_m8xdvv2uxl1r2sv68.gif

Take your time making the adjustments.   Seasons for everyone and everything.  Sometimes that means people can be really here and involved, sometimes they need to just pop in.   We'll still be here!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2016 at 11:06 PM, Urgan said:

Mmm, high grade junk food. Om nom. Tasty fuel for greatness

Totally, and way more satisfying than storebought.

On 7/17/2016 at 11:06 PM, Urgan said:

Thought on OHP: Nothing quite takes the place of bilateral exercises that use your body as a unit. KB movements also have a technical nature to them and trend toward the power aspect in many cases, yes? This would account for them not hitting the same notes as a barbell press.

Yup. Versus strict press which is nothing but strength. I still thought I was okay, though - no pushing in the press. But. Meh. I just have to get the bar up and down.

On 7/18/2016 at 9:15 AM, Kyellan said:

Also, congrats on hitting Simple! That's a hell of a thing, and you should be VERY proud. Well done, well done indeed!

Thanks, man. It feels good. Really good. Never would have seen myself doing it, and here I am on the other side and it's just... I just do it now.

On 7/18/2016 at 10:06 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

hullo!

one of my fav recipes when i went paleo was this baked sweet potato stuffed with chili spiced ground turkey. i also love doing something like this with any type of ground meat and adding some greens. you'd be surprised how well sweet potato can mesh with just about anything!

Hi! And yeah, I bet they do. I just have to do 'em up right. And I bet those recipes would be a good step toward that. Just gotta learn how to do it.

On 7/18/2016 at 0:48 PM, PinkNinja said:

Yeah, I'm definitely going to read these books now. I was thinking of (sorta re)reading the Dark Tower series now that more(all?) of the books are out, but your posts with WoT just really have me intrigued.

They're worth reading. They start to slow down a lot past book 6, but I like that kind of stuff, and apparently it picks back up toward the end.

Lot of pages, though.

On 7/18/2016 at 1:34 PM, karinajean said:

this is good on its own, and even better with a fried egg or two on top

Oh, and this looks amazing too. Awesome. Do you find the eggs are better scrambled, or just straight fried?

10 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Take your time making the adjustments.   Seasons for everyone and everything.  Sometimes that means people can be really here and involved, sometimes they need to just pop in.   We'll still be here

Yeah, but I want to be here with you! And everyone! Just gotta fight through and figure it out.

5 hours ago, Mistr said:

How are you liking your new job so far?

I like it and it's getting better. I've been getting better about getting down before midnight, and I feel like I'm getting the hang of the work, even if I can't always tell you why. I guess I'm an instinctive bureaucrat?

"It is possible to oppose evil without doing violence... Violence harms the doer as much as the victim."

Sadly, that's going to be a Broken Aesop. And that's all I'll say about that.

Rand: 100/89.5

Mat: 3/3

Perrin: 3/3

Aiel: 3/3, 14%

I surprised myself with a rant. I didn't think I had it in me. It would explain much, though. It gets political, and I'm sorry, because I try to keep a very level head about these things, but it's tiring when everyone has an opinion on your job and whether you should have it or not. And I've got to set this down somewhere.

I hid it in spoilers in case you didn't want to see. I promise, I'm okay.

Spoiler

The past couple of days have been busy. Our teachers have tipped their hands and revealed that they don't know how to teach. We've been doing nothing but presentations on various bodily systems and listings and the like. We're doing the presentations because they don't want to teach, and unfortunately my fellow students mostly aren't good at teaching. They just dump the info as fast as they can to get back in their seats. It's not fear or nerves, although certainly a couple have been nervy. No, no, they're apathetic. I can hear it in the conversations.

And I don't blame them. We fill the day with all this useless information that we're not supposed to memorize when we should be practicing how to work in the system and get cases done. I'm more than a little sure we're gonna be tested on a bunch of this stuff, but we don't even get time to take notes so we can memorize it. Which, remember, we're not supposed to do. Because we're being tested with the idea of learning how to do the job. So we can use our books for those parts, like we will when we work cases, right? Noooooo.

And politics are bugging me too. I mean, I get it, they bug everyone, but I feel like I'm bugged even harder because I'm trying to find and hold a middle ground. Everyone is caught up in the drama and yelling, and nobody understands that nobody has the Right Answer. They don't see rational actors using evidence to come to different conclusions. They see enemies and traitors, and me being pro-and-anti-everybody-and-everything hasn't caused anyone to open their minds and consider themselves. They just yell louder.

I've taken to biting my tongue when I see dumb shit pop up in my feeds. I feel better about it because it doesn't matter what I say or what arguments I present - I'm either misinformed or an outright enemy. I swear to Baby Jesus Krishna if I have to put up with one more ammosexual playing up knife attacks while missing the point that nobody dies in those, or anyone talking about anyone having kids or abortions as if those aren't two sides of the same coin, or one more stupid fucking tribal meme, I... I WILL AGGRESSIVELY FAIL TO MAKE ANYTHING BETTER.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

This is what I get for being religious, pro-gun-and-none, pro-abortion-and-life, pro-Israel-and-Palestine, pro-Black-and-Blue. This is my reward for trying to break my own tribalism and trying to find the humanity in all of us.

Also, depending on which one of these fools gets The Job, I might lose my career before it even starts. Which is an outside possibility, but hey, this seems to be the year for that kind of thing.

There are positives, though! I got to pick a player for a game that's drawn mostly dramatic people. She's actually a DM in one of my other games that I used to play, and she's awesome and smart and a fucking adult about these things. Which is what we need. One of the childish who moved away and swore that really, guys, she's coming back, is trying to come back on Saturday, and I don't think any of us want her to. I already brought it up with the other player who was present for the childishness, and she and the DM agree, but he hasn't made any move to cut her out, I think because she's kind of psychotic and decided to use our group as budget!therapy and we don't know if she'd do something stupid and harmful if we cut her out cold.

AGH, POSITIVES.

I saw a cute girl I used to know on Sunday. And one of my female coworkers seems to be friending me pretty nicely, which is always fun to do on my own instead of letting Nerd-Pursuits build the bridge. And when we presented yesterday, the top Trainer said that my explanation of autologous stem cell transplantation was spot-on, which is cool!

Today was a good day. Things went right that I didn't expect to - went in a different direction with an assignment than I thought they wanted but they loved it, and I had to adjudicate a (simulated!) case with fewer administrative parts than I've had before, which is good.

I've already been told I aced the assignment, so all's well. So, 100 for the day, but 89.5 is the test score, and that's the one we got to worry about. Fortunately, I've got a wider window to work with, so even if they trip us up, I've got room.

They say we'll study tomorrow and have the day to ourselves, but they couldn't keep that promise last time. Maybe they'll be better about it this time. Maybe they'll let us out early on Thursday since we record our own hours now and past the test, the rest of the day will be shot for productivity. It'd be nice to get out early.

Lifted things. Went like this:

Warmed Up

Decline Assisted One Arm Push Ups: 3x5,5,4

Dips: 3x9

Squats: 1x5x45

1x4x80

1x3x115

3x6,5,5x149

Clapping Pull Ups: 3x2,1,1

Cooldown

Notes:

• Had to use a Smith Machine to do my push ups in. I guess I'm That Guy now, although in fairness these personal trainers need to stop hosting useless classes on Tuesday night, which is one of the busier nights when all the floor space is at a premium even before they start.
  • Oh, Dip.
  • Hardstyle Breathing has proven to be even better for my brace than Vacuums. I feel a lot more stable than I was before, and it's good.
  • Clapping Pull Ups were tricky tonight. I didn't concentrate on the right parts of the move, and I screwed myself up a couple of times. I worried about the kip down below rather than the pull up above, which is what I really needed to focus on. Once I did, it clicked, and I pulled powerfully again.

tl;dr, I've had a lot of stress that I wasn't able to talk about and I needed to vent. I swear I'm still meditating and finding beauty in every day. Really. I'm okay.

Need to get up on my reading, though.

Thank you everyone, by the way, for the recipes! They really look great. i got my hands on some Japanese sweet potatoes, so I'll try one of 'em tomorrow and see how it plays!

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Yup. Versus strict press which is nothing but strength. I still thought I was okay, though - no pushing in the press. But. Meh. I just have to get the bar up and down.

Nothing you can't handle, though. All it is is thrust the hips forward, keeping those knees frozen, and the bar pops overhead due to the stretch reflex in your quads. 

Re: rant, about your job situation...wish there was a magic solution to this kind of situation, but I don't know of one. You're the one who wants to Do the Right Thing and the environment you're in defies defining this in a structured, professional way. The "teachers" can't teach, the students have been deputized as a cop-out...and there you are, left wondering what your position on this should be. I've had some classes kinda like that, but it's not the same, is it? You're well within your rights to feel frustrated with the unprofessional behavior exhibited by most involved. Anyone who wants to do a good job would. Sucks that a lot of people just don't care, doesn't it??

The only good news I can point out is you're going to be okay. Even passively sitting there, you're putting more into being conscientious and trying to figure out what is important/worth retaining than most of the others. I have faith your instincts will carry you through. The case work isn't something you can learn any other way but doing it (the textbook knowledge, the interacting with the disabled people and the lawyers acting on their behalf, the investigative process of examining the documentation related to each person, etc), and as you say that's the whole point of this classroom charade--finding out who has a brain in their head for the work and who won't even show up for work consistently. Also, I doubt they will flunk out the batch of you with this next round of testing. Basically you don't have to outrun the bear, just 50~% of the rest of the class, lol. Show up, do your best, and you'll shine through. 

• Like 3

Your intro post reads:  WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN Ok, some complications with time.  But still WIN.  Congrats on hitting the simple requirements and feeling awesome :-)

Classes sound frustrating.  You're good at learning on your own but that's a rather messy setup. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2016 at 0:01 AM, Urgan said:

Nothing you can't handle, though. All it is is thrust the hips forward, keeping those knees frozen, and the bar pops overhead due to the stretch reflex in your quads. 

Re: rant, about your job situation...wish there was a magic solution to this kind of situation, but I don't know of one. You're the one who wants to Do the Right Thing and the environment you're in defies defining this in a structured, professional way. The "teachers" can't teach, the students have been deputized as a cop-out...and there you are, left wondering what your position on this should be. I've had some classes kinda like that, but it's not the same, is it? You're well within your rights to feel frustrated with the unprofessional behavior exhibited by most involved. Anyone who wants to do a good job would. Sucks that a lot of people just don't care, doesn't it??

The only good news I can point out is you're going to be okay. Even passively sitting there, you're putting more into being conscientious and trying to figure out what is important/worth retaining than most of the others. I have faith your instincts will carry you through. The case work isn't something you can learn any other way but doing it (the textbook knowledge, the interacting with the disabled people and the lawyers acting on their behalf, the investigative process of examining the documentation related to each person, etc), and as you say that's the whole point of this classroom charade--finding out who has a brain in their head for the work and who won't even show up for work consistently. Also, I doubt they will flunk out the batch of you with this next round of testing. Basically you don't have to outrun the bear, just 50~% of the rest of the class, lol. Show up, do your best, and you'll shine through. 

I get the feeling that this is probably true. Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Teirin said:

Your intro post reads:  WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN Ok, some complications with time.  But still WIN.  Congrats on hitting the simple requirements and feeling awesome :-)

A lot of good things happened that off-week when I couldn't be here.

17 minutes ago, Teirin said:

Classes sound frustrating.  You're good at learning on your own but that's a rather messy setup.

Very. If I'd known I was going to have to do this on my own, I would have approached it differently.

Ta'veren. All of us, all of our lives affect the lives of others, Min. As the Wheel of Time weaves us into the Pattern, the life-thread of each of us pulls and tugs at the life-threads around us. Ta'veren are much the same, only much, much more so. They tug at the entire Pattern - for a time, at least - forcing it to shape around them. The closer you are to them, the more you are affected personally. It is said if you were in the same room with Artur Hawkwing, you could feel the Pattern rearranging itself... But it doesn't only work one way. Ta'veren themselves are woven to a tighter line than the rest of us, with fewer choices.

Rand: 100/89.5

Mat: 4/4

Perrin: 4/4

Aiel: 4/4, 17%

Hey guys! I'm feeling better.

Wednesday, I was tired and I was debating between studying and sleeping or going off to train. The training won out, and I'm glad I went. Got there tired, left there refreshed. Had another guy on the mats tonight too, so we got to work on pivot throws and such. He's got that n00bish aggression, and I didn't counter-throw but once, but I didn't match him for raw aggression either. Gotta learn to fight around that, although I did eventually get him on a dishonest koshi-guruma - it wouldn't have won points in shiai, but for self-defense purposes, riding a guy down into kesa gatame isn't the worst possible outcome. And if I'd planted my feet right, I could have got him with a few good ones too.

My cardio was good enough that I was able to do S&S in 15:58, and go do judo afterward and spar twice in a row, first with the new guy and then with sensei. Who threw me at will and got around the one seoi I managed to fit in, as he does, but allegedly I timed kuzushi as well as I could have. That took some of the sting out.

Today, we tested. I haven't got the numbers back yet, but I don't think I did so good. We were told not to worry about memorizing things, so I didn't, but there was a significant amount of questions that I don't think I could have got any other way, and some that I missed because I followed the advice not to worry about memorizing things. Incidentally, I think I ended up missing a big question on the test because I remembered a right thing, but I think I was supposed to remember something that I don't remember coming up. I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.

Still, when it came down to the practicals, I killed it, or I think I did. Got to the right answers the right way, I think.

Decided to run PCC Century Test 1.2 today and bombed on the pull up portion. That's okay, though. Just... not a lot of fight in me today.

Oh, and I tried @karinajean's recipe tonight. It was good! I did salt and pepper just on its own to see how it works. Forgot the eggs, though. :( Those would have probably been amazing. Drippings were sufficient, and had to be on account of me buying a sammich from a food truck today, so no room to hit calorie goals and do added fats.

And, I've been on too long and it's past my bedtime and oh look I have to clean up everything before going to bed. Okay. Groovy.

• Like 5

On 7/19/2016 at 11:18 PM, Kishi said:

Oh, and this looks amazing too. Awesome. Do you find the eggs are better scrambled, or just straight fried?

SUPER glad you liked the recipe! I personally think egg yoke is Nature's Mayonnaise, and I love mayo, and if I could just put a fried egg on EVERYTHING I would. so, yeah. I go for fried. :)

re: your rant.

I am also having a really hard time right now with politics because with all the polarization I really don't know how to deal with people I love and want to stay good friends with who just plain seem to refuse to recognize the humanity and good in other people. Period. I mean, can we just agree that no one should be shot and killed? that regardless of the outfit or the prior rap sheet or what someone had for breakfast in the morning dying in the street is not ok, ever? I love your "just because I'm pro-" list, and I'm glad you posted it here even as I do my very best to not bring my politics to your page. I just am struggling to find a way to just say to say to people to just SIMMER DOWN, please stop talking in hyperbole, and can we just maybe have a conversation that is NOT on facebook where we hash this stuff out?

and this, I just keep thinking of this: http://www.theonion.com/article/god-angrily-clarifies-dont-kill-rule-222

I might post it to facebook every week or something. that would be super annoying, right? SEEMS APPROPRIATE.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, karinajean said:

SUPER glad you liked the recipe! I personally think egg yoke is Nature's Mayonnaise, and I love mayo, and if I could just put a fried egg on EVERYTHING I would. so, yeah. I go for fried. :)

Aw, dude, I used to fried eggs on sammiches. They were great. I'd forgot.

15 hours ago, karinajean said:

re: your rant.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I know what you mean. I have a friend whom I've known for quite some time, and he and I don't agree on much it seems. But, he invited me to come out to drink with him, and I did, and we got along great. We don't fight on Facebook anymore. Not because we agree, but because I think we remember that the other is human, and we remember that we're all trying the best we can.

I knew an old Illianer woman, once. When she was young, her mother arranged a marriage for her with a man she had never even met... She said she spent the first five years raging against him, and the next five scheming to make his life miserable without his knowing who was to blame. It was only years later, she said, when he died, that she realised he really had been the love of her life.

Rand: 100/81.25

Mat: 6/6

Perrin: 6/6

Aiel: 6/6, 17%

Phew! I made that one by the skin of my teeth, it felt like. I only had to score a 70 on my test to keep the average up, and that's almost exactly what I did. The score broke along the lines I figured it would - strong showing in the practical, good on multiple choice and okayish on short answer, but a total botch on a case scenario. That one was key - 10% of the total grade, and it would have made a huge difference if I'd got it right.

We spent today reviewing what we got right and wrong... and some of us got let go. Like I said, you gotta keep an average above 80, but the first two tests are pretty key in determining that - based on how you do, you pretty much know how you have to do, and if you don't stay high the first couple times, the writing stands out on the wall pretty bad.

We didn't really know that was happening today, so one of our classmates in our lab got called up to meet with the teachers, and when she came back, she cleared out all her stuff as we watched. Another guy went in for his conference and when he came back he said that there was a list of names written in red. He said there had to be 20 of them or so. I couldn't believe it, but I made a point of letting my errands carry me through classrooms and units and the like, and they definitely seemed emptier. When we went on break, people were huddled together in groups, talking in hushed tones like somebody had died.

Me? I hate to say it but I wasn't quite as emotionally invested as I suppose I should have been. I was more worried for myself than for anyone else; once I knew that I was in the clear, I basically watched everything else happen from a still place. I found myself sympathizing with everyone - with them for losing their jobs, with the head trainer for having to be the one to break the news, with those of us who remained who were just realizing how real the consequences of our actions were. But, as usual, the emotions were at arm's length. Mostly, in those hours, I was puzzled. The expectations - and the consequences - had been spelled out since day one, and here everyone was, surprised. I was surprised at their surprise. I guess they didn't get that what we do really does matter, and that we have to take responsibility.

It sucks that they lost their jobs. But if they didn't want to lose, they should have done their jobs.

Anyway, I was wore out from the day today but I thought I had some gym in me, so that's what I went and did.

Warm Up

Pull Ups: 3x8

DBC&P: 3x6,5,5x45/arm

Deadlifts: 2x6 Tuck Jumps

3x135

1x5x177

Hanging Bent Leg Raises: 3x8,7,7

Cooldown

Notes:

• Man. I was tired today.
  • Had to improvise when both the squat racks were commandeered. Fortunately, they have dumbbells of sufficient weight to provide a training stimulus for me. So, I improvised. It worked, but there were some rather marked differences in terms of the technique - there's a J-curve in C&P that you don't see in BBOHP. I wonder if that's momentum making things easier?
  • Left knee started hurting when I did the jumps to warm up for the deadlifts. That freaked me out a bit. It's kind of been ghosting around the edges of things for a while now since I took up the barbell again, but I thought everything was fine until today. Judo seems to exacerbate it - not falling so much as getting up again. I found some beef gelatin that I'm going to start incorporating so that I can get some more glycine and collagen in my diet, see if that helps me heal. I'll have insurance starting in a couple of weeks, although I don't know how I'll balance getting to the doctor and getting to class. Hopefully that won't be necessary. In any event, it eff'd up my deadlift some because I was afraid of putting force through it, so I lifted a lot more with my right than my left. No pain, but no good either.

Anyway, that's the day's labors. Off to sleep.

• Like 2

For project "keep the knee functional and healing for a couple of weeks till insurance kicks in", good call on lightening the load and the diet changes.  Would also recommend heat.  Keep the joint warm, whenever possible.

Also, I'm thinking of doing a Sam Vimes challenge some time soon, and that could spoil you like mad if you don't get to at least the next Watch book.  I'm trying to hold off till you do, but... Sam Vimes, man.  You have no idea. *pushes addictive books at you*

• Like 2

You would be surprised at how many people are surprised when an objective standard is actually applied to them, the special snowflakes.

Does deadlift actually aggravate it? I find when my knee is testy, squats and jangling around in aikido are a bigger issue than deadlifts. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

For project "keep the knee functional and healing for a couple of weeks till insurance kicks in", good call on lightening the load and the diet changes.  Would also recommend heat.  Keep the joint warm, whenever possible.

Oooh. I didn't say anything about lightening the load. And besides, it's me. If I lightened the load, I'd kick back into higher rep work to make up for the loss. Which... you know, maybe that wouldn't be so bad. My knee doesn't seem to mind higher repetitions, but the load it's placed under does seem to matter. I don't seem to recall having much trouble when I was engaged in higher-repetition work.

Then again, it could just be getting banged up in judo. I notice that my knee ends up in a very flexed position a lot of the time when I'm getting up from having been thrown. That certainly didn't help things, but short of getting up differently, I don't know how to address that beyond moar cow jello.

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Also, I'm thinking of doing a Sam Vimes challenge some time soon, and that could spoil you like mad if you don't get to at least the next Watch book.  I'm trying to hold off till you do, but... Sam Vimes, man.  You have no idea. *pushes addictive books at you*

*long sigh* You know, I do have Audible. I could probably get it on my phone and start listening to books that way as opposed to podcasts all the time. Hmmm. I'll have to see what I can cook up. I'll manage Guards, Guards! before the next challenge.

You would be surprised at how many people are surprised when an objective standard is actually applied to them, the special snowflakes.

Yeah, and I think that's kind of what I felt about it. My desk partner got called in for an assessment meeting, and she came back from it all wild-eyed and saying that come Monday, things were going to be very different... but it wasn't anything she had to worry about. When she said that, I put the pieces together, and that's when my nerves hit me. But then I went and made sure that I'd done my job and that I wasn't in any danger, and I had, and I wasn't. And the emotions all kind of faded after that.

Does deadlift actually aggravate it? I find when my knee is testy, squats and jangling around in aikido are a bigger issue than deadlifts.

You know, it really didn't. I was just nervous about it for myself because I'd used the jumps as a form of power hinging to warm that pattern up, and out of nowhere this sharp pain. I was afraid that this was aggravate things, but it didn't really. It still got into my head and effed things up, though, but on the other hand, most of the weight I move with that pattern comes from kettlebells. I'm sure this won't come to anything long term.

Lan was tall and hard, broad-shouldered, with blue eyes like frozen mountain lakes, and he moved with a deadly grace that made the sword on his hip seem a part of him. It was not that he seemed merely capable of violence and death; this man had tamed violence and death and kept them in his pocket, ready to be loosed in a heartbeat, or embraced, should Moiraine give the word.

Rand: 100/81.25

Mat: 7/7

Perrin: 7/7

Aiel: 7/7, 18%

Got to read tonight, so that's what I'm going to do.

Afore I do, though, updates. For one thing, my knee is feeling better. I think I'm going to stick to using warm water for the gelatin as opposed to trying to mix it into cooking, just because I've never used it before and I don't want to chance somehow negating the effects.

For another thing, the only reason I can't go another loop lower in my belt is that there's too much material between the belt and me. I ran a measurement on my waist - 33". Not bad. Not bad at all. I think as long as I keep on with Hardstyle Breathing, this will probably continue, or at least be maintained.

Speaking of, though, I'm thinking about doing like he says to do and switching out the hanging leg work for a couple weeks of hardstyle sit up. This to balance out that lower work. I mean, I'm not feeling bad at all, but I can feel my psoas being right on the verge of overpowering things and taking my back with it. Personally, I think I've got a lot farther than I otherwise would have, being mindful and tensing my stomach as hard as I could. Nothing wrong with giving that whole area a break.

Also, in thinking about my knee, I'm wondering if the asymmetry in load that my legs are bearing has something to do with it. My hamstrings bear a load of about 14-15000 pounds depending on whether I'm testing swings that week. Compare that with squatting, which loads the quads up with anywhere from 2-5000 pounds. I've noticed in the past that knee pain correlates with uneven development in my legs. Maybe it's time for me to try to correct that. I mean, I know that perfect symmetry couldn't happen anyway - hamstrings are always stronger than quads - but most harmonious development seems to happen at a certain ratio of moved tonnage that I know I'm not presently addressing. Harmonious development seems to occur between squats and hinges when the squat pattern has between 67 and 75% of the tonnage that hinge manages.

I don't mean to declare that statement in a hard way, of course - what the hell do I know? It does seem to track with my observations of various programs and what lifters in general seem to wind up tracking toward anyway, though. And, well, my body doesn't mind high volume when it comes to squatting. I feel no pain when I do bodyweight squats, and I do a lot when I do them. I can't shake the feeling that that's a clue of some kind.

I did S&S and worked my hands today. I wanted to go out to ruck, but I had gone out earlier with a friend to lunch and I wound up being more indulgent than I thought I'd be. That's the problem with buffets. Anyway, I used up a lot of willpower fighting the urge to binge ahead of tomorrow, and I just didn't have the fight left in me to go out in the heat and do it. Especially since I've done hours of walking this past week anyway. I'm going to try to get up early tomorrow to hit the gym ahead of training clients, hit up the market, and then Ruck before the parents get back.

Which sounds great, but I gotta cook dinner before I can make that happen. Round two of refining KJ's recipe!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, and I think that's kind of what I felt about it. My desk partner got called in for an assessment meeting, and she came back from it all wild-eyed and saying that come Monday, things were going to be very different... but it wasn't anything she had to worry about. When she said that, I put the pieces together, and that's when my nerves hit me. But then I went and made sure that I'd done my job and that I wasn't in any danger, and I had, and I wasn't. And the emotions all kind of faded after that.

I think that is the real purpose of this whole exercise. Who in this group of people we've selected wants to work and is smart enough to act like it?

9 minutes ago, Kishi said:

You know, it really didn't. I was just nervous about it for myself because I'd used the jumps as a form of power hinging to warm that pattern up, and out of nowhere this sharp pain. I was afraid that this was aggravate things, but it didn't really. It still got into my head and effed things up, though, but on the other hand, most of the weight I move with that pattern comes from kettlebells. I'm sure this won't come to anything long term.

I wanted to ask specifically because I thought you'd answer this way. Deadlifts really don't put a lot of stress on the knee, I find. You do a lot of very different types of training, and the slightest form goof in a lot of it can cause knees to complain, yes? I'd check squat form first because it is the thing you changed most recently, right? Correct me if you've switched anything else up just prior to the pain flaring up. If it's squats, stance and foot angle are the first things I get curious about. Where you are experiencing pain relative to the knee will tell a lot. [Insert part where I beg for a form video shot such that  I can see the space between your feet and track where your knees are going here.]

My training philosophy 2 cents, FWIW: Work on moving your body through full, natural, pain-free ROM such that each part is doing its job safely and effectively, not relative strength comparisons--you'll drive yourself bonkers. It'll correct itself, given time and sufficient poundage.

• Like 2