• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

10 hours ago, Kishi said:

Then again, it could just be getting banged up in judo. I notice that my knee ends up in a very flexed position a lot of the time when I'm getting up from having been thrown. That certainly didn't help things, but short of getting up differently, I don't know how to address that beyond moar cow jello.

Even if it's just getting banged up in judo, it's good not to do other things that stress it on the side, you know?  Give it a chance to heal, even if you're still finding the root cause.  (Which may well be a fluke of random stresses happening at once.)  If that's switching to higher reps at a lower weight for a couple of weeks, there ya go, just get it solid again and keep going.

10 hours ago, Kishi said:

*long sigh* You know, I do have Audible. I could probably get it on my phone and start listening to books that way as opposed to podcasts all the time. Hmmm. I'll have to see what I can cook up. I'll manage Guards, Guards! before the next challenge.

I'm not gonna push you to spend your Audible credits that way, though Discworld does have some good audiobooks.  IMO, the reader of the early books is good, and the reader of the later books is AMAZING.  But you need more Vimes in your life, and you don't even know how much yet, because Guards, Guards! is just the beginning, and I would feel bad spoiling that for you. :)

• Like 2

For that line of work, testing to see if people understand that there are consequences to their decisions is fairly reasonable.  The assessments you'll be making will have a major impact on people's lives. 

Take care of that knee!  Judo doesn't normally strain that. You do keep things interesting :-) 

Taking the new guy down into a hold down may not have been pretty or worth tournament points, but it was a) functional as you noted, and b ) a good way to not break the newbie. Handling an all-aggression and RAWWR newbie without breaking them takes more control and technique.  It's a good indicator that your Judo is coming along well.   Getting thumped by Sensei is pretty normal :-)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Teirin said:

Handling an all-aggression and RAWWR newbie without breaking them takes more control and technique.  It's a good indicator that your Judo is coming along well.

Ahhh, I love those newbies.  At least in Judo you don't have to field the "But is this really effective" argument some newbies give me frequently. >.<

Also glad you still have your job.  Like Urgan said, people think benchmarks don't apply to THEM because they are SPECIAL and have CIRCUMSTANCES.  YEs, that's nice, there are those of us who also have circumstances and pull this shit off too.  It's like training on the mat - if you have a legitimate circumstance which is going to impede things and you don't proactively bring it up to the instructor, it's essentially saying you don't have a special circumstance.  And even bringing it up to the instructor isn't a guaranteed win.  People.... just don't get that.

Hope your knee feels better, too!  My knee and ankle are still kinda borked from walking in bad shoes, and haven't quite healed yet.  I'm reluctant to do squats, though I'm okay with rucking.  I'm starting to think I may just skip leg day lifting-wise (with the exception of deadlifts....), and replace it for things like extra heavy ruck walks...

• Like 1

On 7/23/2016 at 10:53 PM, Urgan said:

I wanted to ask specifically because I thought you'd answer this way. Deadlifts really don't put a lot of stress on the knee, I find. You do a lot of very different types of training, and the slightest form goof in a lot of it can cause knees to complain, yes? I'd check squat form first because it is the thing you changed most recently, right? Correct me if you've switched anything else up just prior to the pain flaring up. If it's squats, stance and foot angle are the first things I get curious about. Where you are experiencing pain relative to the knee will tell a lot. [Insert part where I beg for a form video shot such that  I can see the space between your feet and track where your knees are going here.]

Well, it reads like a lot because I'm dramatic, but it's really not that much. Weight-lifting and kettlebelling are the big two, and with the TGUs, you can't really force the angle that causes the knee to go ouch. The squats are done with a slight out-angle of the feet, and I can feel it when they collapse inward, and they don't do that because I don't let them.

The knee injury itself is a holdover from a knee injury acquired by squatting heavier than I should have, years and years ago, and at a time when I wasn't insured and couldn't get it checked. Squatting didn't make it start hurting again. Kettlebelling didn't make it start hurting again. It didn't start hurting again until we started using a crash mat in judo, and instead of getting my legs in front of me, I curled them beneath me and put them in significant flexion. Once I did that, it started hurting all of a sudden out of nowhere. And it's been kind of touch and go ever since.

On 7/23/2016 at 10:53 PM, Urgan said:

My training philosophy 2 cents, FWIW: Work on moving your body through full, natural, pain-free ROM such that each part is doing its job safely and effectively, not relative strength comparisons--you'll drive yourself bonkers. It'll correct itself, given time and sufficient poundage.

I saw this before I went to lift and so I went back to doing things as I was - heavy and small sets. No pain.

On 7/24/2016 at 1:08 AM, x Valkyrie x said:

Hi from the Ranger guild! I stumbled on your thread because Wheel of Time! *geeks out*

Anywho, I really like your challenge set up! :D

Well, hi there! Always glad to see someone else who knows what I'm talking about. :D

I'm glad you like the set up! I followed your topic, but I haven't read it yet. Sorry about that!

On 7/24/2016 at 9:44 AM, sarakingdom said:

Even if it's just getting banged up in judo, it's good not to do other things that stress it on the side, you know?  Give it a chance to heal, even if you're still finding the root cause.  (Which may well be a fluke of random stresses happening at once.)  If that's switching to higher reps at a lower weight for a couple of weeks, there ya go, just get it solid again and keep going.

Well, it could just be dietary as well. I ran a check on how much glysine you get in gelatin and apparently I needed 3 times as much as I was eating. So, fixed that, and I'm already feeling better. Gotta keep doing it, though.

On 7/24/2016 at 9:44 AM, sarakingdom said:

I'm not gonna push you to spend your Audible credits that way, though Discworld does have some good audiobooks.  IMO, the reader of the early books is good, and the reader of the later books is AMAZING.  But you need more Vimes in your life, and you don't even know how much yet, because Guards, Guards! is just the beginning, and I would feel bad spoiling that for you. :)

They're mine to spend.

giphy.gif

Also, I decided to spend credits on The Dragon Reborn as well, since I can't seem to sit down and get this damn thing read. Gotta move on that.

On 7/24/2016 at 11:23 PM, Teirin said:

For that line of work, testing to see if people understand that there are consequences to their decisions is fairly reasonable.  The assessments you'll be making will have a major impact on people's lives.

That's almost word for word what the head trainer said.

On 7/24/2016 at 11:23 PM, Teirin said:

Take care of that knee!  Judo doesn't normally strain that. You do keep things interesting :-)

It is what it is. It's all that throw practice. Need to recover better from that.

On 7/25/2016 at 10:11 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

Ahhh, I love those newbies.  At least in Judo you don't have to field the "But is this really effective" argument some newbies give me frequently. >.<

Actually, you'd be surprised. Lots of Judo newbies come in and instead of playing the game, they stiff-arm you and hold you out. You can't execute, and they can't execute, but all they see is you not executing and they think they're badass. So, you know. Grass is green here too.

Also glad you still have your job.  Like Urgan said, people think benchmarks don't apply to THEM because they are SPECIAL and have CIRCUMSTANCES.  YEs, that's nice, there are those of us who also have circumstances and pull this shit off too.  It's like training on the mat - if you have a legitimate circumstance which is going to impede things and you don't proactively bring it up to the instructor, it's essentially saying you don't have a special circumstance.  And even bringing it up to the instructor isn't a guaranteed win.  People.... just don't get that.

Noted. These co-workers spend more of their time talking than they do working and looking for more practice. The fools.

Hope your knee feels better, too!  My knee and ankle are still kinda borked from walking in bad shoes, and haven't quite healed yet.  I'm reluctant to do squats, though I'm okay with rucking.  I'm starting to think I may just skip leg day lifting-wise (with the exception of deadlifts....), and replace it for things like extra heavy ruck walks...

Me too! What I need is for my insurance to kick in and to use some of the sick leave so that I can get this looked at. One thing that I do not like about this job is that it does much the same thing that other jobs have done, where you get insurance and then can't use it because you're needed right the eff now.

"When you are weak, the best choice is often to hide."

Rand: 86/81.25

Mat: 3/3

Perrin: 3/3

Aiel: 3/3, 26%

Gotta make this one quick if I'm going to get down at a reasonable hour.

Lifting has happened, and gelatin has been adjusted. Turns out I needed more. I'mma start mixing it with cream and putting it in tea.

Food is within limits. Training is within limits.

Brother is coming to live with us after his plans to move in with friends fell through. That ought to be interesting in a fun way. His mail's already coming here. :D

All caught up? All caught up.

'Night everyone!

• Like 5

Catching up is not required...ive talked to myself an awful lot on this challenge and most of it is not noteworthy :P

Nice job on the Audible pick - I have only read the first two books so far...I'll let you know what I think of the rest in ten years, when I finish the series. :P

Be careful with your knees, they're the only ones you got! (Unless you want to go cyborg, but that's not as fun as it sounds!)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Well, it reads like a lot because I'm dramatic, but it's really not that much. Weight-lifting and kettlebelling are the big two, and with the TGUs, you can't really force the angle that causes the knee to go ouch. The squats are done with a slight out-angle of the feet, and I can feel it when they collapse inward, and they don't do that because I don't let them.

The knee injury itself is a holdover from a knee injury acquired by squatting heavier than I should have, years and years ago, and at a time when I wasn't insured and couldn't get it checked. Squatting didn't make it start hurting again. Kettlebelling didn't make it start hurting again. It didn't start hurting again until we started using a crash mat in judo, and instead of getting my legs in front of me, I curled them beneath me and put them in significant flexion. Once I did that, it started hurting all of a sudden out of nowhere. And it's been kind of touch and go ever since.

I'll buy that, hopefully that knee will get to where it doesn't flare up on you anymore. Failing that, cash in on the insurance to get it checked out if they'll let you lol.

18 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I saw this before I went to lift and so I went back to doing things as I was - heavy and small sets. No pain.

Excellent. It's nice when our bodies play along, isn't it? 

• Like 1

i need to also read the dragon reborn.. it's on the list :D i liked the narrator for the first two so hopefully it is the same for the third and you will enjoy him as well!

oh, and i went to put discworld on my list but it was already there!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2016 at 10:55 PM, x Valkyrie x said:

Nice job on the Audible pick - I have only read the first two books so far...I'll let you know what I think of the rest in ten years, when I finish the series. :P

It's kind of how you have to do it if you mean to get it done. These books do not get shorter.

On 7/26/2016 at 11:07 PM, Urgan said:

I'll buy that, hopefully that knee will get to where it doesn't flare up on you anymore. Failing that, cash in on the insurance to get it checked out if they'll let you lol.

I mean, it'd be nice to have some medical science weighing in on this, you know? Even if they say that there's nothing to be done.

On 7/29/2016 at 8:07 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

i need to also read the dragon reborn.. it's on the list :D i liked the narrator for the first two so hopefully it is the same for the third and you will enjoy him as well!

It's interesting, actually! They picked up a female narrator as well, so it plays out interestingly - male narrator for male characters, female for female. It's interesting to listen to.

"No questions, remember? And my name is Perrin, Zarine. Not 'big man,' or 'blacksmith,' or anything else. Perrin. Perrin Aybarra."

"And mine is Faile, shaggy-hair."

Rand: 87.9/81.25

Mat: 5/7

Perrin: 7/7

Aiel: 3/7, 69%

Hi there, guys. :)

Sorry I've been gone. It's like I said at the beginning - things have got to the point where I can either be out doing the challenge or here talking about not doing it. That has to go a certain way.

Thankfully, nothing terribly dramatic has happened. I could give you the whole day by day, but as it is I really, really want to get bedtime nailed in, and I can't cook and eat and launder and post all at the same time. So, the highlight reel:

• Decided to go with the audio books to help me read. This is good. I probably wouldn't want to do this with nonfiction books - need to read and interact and comprehend. But this is about taking in content and enjoying it, and I'm good with it.
  • Assignments are going well, and one of the dizzier teachers retired. I think we're getting better here. The trick is figuring out what I need to know versus what I need to look up, and I really need to make sure that I'm studying the night before. But so far, everything seems to be going well.
  • Diet didn't go quite right this week. Baked treats on a fasting day, and I ate lots of cheat foods over the day that I went to help my brother move. Definitely didn't need to do that. My waist has stopped shrinking, which I guess means that it's time to let the cheat days stop again. I'm cool with this.
  • Training happened. Somehow.
  • Knee's feeling better. I ran some jumps today, nothing fancy, and it got very tired... but it wasn't hurting.

And that's basically it.

I'm sorry that I haven't been around to be present for you all, and I have no idea how things are going out there. But I'm grateful that I get to be here, and striving with all of you... in spirit, if noway else.

Week 3, here we go.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I mean, it'd be nice to have some medical science weighing in on this, you know? Even if they say that there's nothing to be done.

No doctor says there's nothing to be done about vague pains that they can't really explain in English...that would be like admitting they don't know something about the human body! Cynic Urgan thinks they'd just say, "Stop doing those squats, they're tearing up your knees!" Or some such. And then prescribe a pill or a shot. Or both. 

Grumbling aside, it's good to hear you aren't hurting lately. Here's to that being a permanent thing. For those days where you eat more than you'd prefer, just train harder, lol. It's all fuel in the long run. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kishi said:

I'm sorry that I haven't been around to be present for you all, and I have no idea how things are going out there. But I'm grateful that I get to be here, and striving with all of you... in spirit, if noway else.

It's cyclical.  Life is happening, that's how it goes.  You're still here, it counts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kishi said:

Thankfully, nothing terribly dramatic has happened. I could give you the whole day by day, but as it is I really, really want to get bedtime nailed in, and I can't cook and eat and launder and post all at the same time.

You are making the right choices. I totally get how much time it takes to get all the basic life tasks done. Good for you helping your brother move. I'll bet you worked off most of the extra calories from treats by carrying heavy things.

Having a job that you need to study for is a big improvement over the last several you've had. You put in lots of time on the forum when you were unemployed and underemployed. @RisenPhoenix can take a turn now that he's the one job hunting.

• Like 2

Come for the Kishi, stay for the Hiddleston.  <3  Oh yeah.   This is a good thread.

Catching up from my out of townness, most things seem to be sorting themselves out for you already from the beginning of the missed updates, so yay there!     I've often thought about trying an audio book - for my bike rides or walks or runs, or what not... aren't they like, super more expensive than regular books?

Anyway!  Looking good Kishi.   I think, pretty soon, I'm gonna become more of a pest on a certain side project I lured you into! ;)

• Like 2

On 8/1/2016 at 5:21 PM, Starpuck said:

Come for the Kishi, stay for the Hiddleston.  <3  Oh yeah.   This is a good thread.

Catching up from my out of townness, most things seem to be sorting themselves out for you already from the beginning of the missed updates, so yay there!     I've often thought about trying an audio book - for my bike rides or walks or runs, or what not... aren't they like, super more expensive than regular books?

Anyway!  Looking good Kishi.   I think, pretty soon, I'm gonna become more of a pest on a certain side project I lured you into! ;)

you can borrow them from the library fo' free :D they have digital downloads available! though audible has way more good things in stock and you can usually get a 3 month starter subscription for like $0.99/mo.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2016 at 9:53 PM, Urgan said:

No doctor says there's nothing to be done about vague pains that they can't really explain in English...that would be like admitting they don't know something about the human body! Cynic Urgan thinks they'd just say, "Stop doing those squats, they're tearing up your knees!" Or some such. And then prescribe a pill or a shot. Or both.

Hah! The way some of the people at my gym squat, they should stop doing those squats. No, what I'm really afraid of is some kind of surgery or something like that. I doubt things are that bad - I'm ambulatory, so it can't be that bad - but it's the suspicion I carry with me.

On 8/1/2016 at 1:56 PM, Mistr said:

You are making the right choices. I totally get how much time it takes to get all the basic life tasks done. Good for you helping your brother move. I'll bet you worked off most of the extra calories from treats by carrying heavy things.

Oh, I don't know. My brother's pretty strong too. It only took us an hour to get his stuff loaded up, and not even an hour when we got to the storage unit and had carts for moving things. Compared to six hours sitting, and lots and lots of food. Left me feeling puffy.

On 8/1/2016 at 5:21 PM, Starpuck said:

You know, I thought that might be the case too, but it turns out at least with Audible that you sign up under a subscription and get credits to buy books. At least, that's how it's been for me so far, I don't know if it stays that way or what. But if you want to buy more books, you can do that as well.

"This time, we do not run. We dare not run. Worlds and times rest on Rand, on the Dragon Reborn. This time, we fight."

Welp, dust has settled on another work week. Had another Test today and, I'm not entirely certain but I think I nailed it. That, or I'm way more lost than I thought.

Lessee, when are we now? ... wow, one week since last report. Not groovy, but. Okay. Let's see.

Rand: 88.5/81.25

Mat: 5/5

Perrin: 5/5

Aiel: 5/5; 88%

Thoughts on the goals so far:

Rand: classwork has pretty much settled out. Lots of worksheets and practical stuff. I'm good at it, or at least at this part of it. And like I said, I think I did the latest Test well, but we're probably not going to hear back about that until Monday or Tuesday of next week. I figured out how to study for these things, though, and have already organized the review material to address my weaknesses on the next. ("Hey there, everyone! Welcome to Onset Dates, the administrative concept where everything's made up and the points don't matter! That's right, it's just like Kishi's English Degree!")

Mat: Ha. Ha ha. Hah. Guys, I've had fun with food this week. Let's review:

• I've been letting my life dictate my eating schedule, and I've managed to make room to hang with people twice per week, provided that I eat something quick once I'm done. I eat 2000 calories when I have time to cook, and 1000 calories when I don't; either way, it's made out of good food, and the daily total if nothing else interfered with it would balance out to about 1700 or so, which is about where I want it. The only catch is, I've only ever heard of pulling this trick twice per week, and I've got people wanting me to come out to things every night of the week, or so it feels like. Because nobody else has jobs. Because everyone else is bad at life.
  • Addendum to the above - I could probably swing a third night if I meant to, provided I balanced everything so that I had more food on my nights in. I can make the math work. Thing is, the third occasion would have me going all the way the fuck out to Durham to deal with dramatic people and Warmachine. There's never a good way to leave early, and honestly I'm the last one there, so I'd be the last to arrive and the first to leave. I don't want to be that guy. And the added trouble - not to mention the cut into training time - just makes it really not worth my time. The other people who got me in there come from basically the Holly Springs area to get to Durham, so going far north from the southern outskirts of Raleigh. Which they can do, because they don't have jobs, as one's basically a trust fund kid and he uses it to take care of the other two thirds of his polyamorous relationship, who are or were the other components of the gaming group.
  • Those quick days are basically built around jamming as much casein and gelatin and pineapple and nuts into a bowl of Greek yogurt as I can. And also doing a shake. I bought a Nutribullet, and that thing is nice for what I need. Thing is, I make my shakes with coconut milk, and at two servings it totally overpowers any other flavor I might have tried to put in. I put in mixed berries, spinach, and even a couple of eggs for extra protein, but there's just no flavor beyond the coconut. May need to experiment - I'm thinking cut down on the milk and maybe throw in some almond butter, go for this AB&J kind of effect. Protein powder would probably help too.
  • Speaking of gelatin, I've finally settled on a recipe for getting the gelatin in my diet, a little concoction I call Bone Tea. Do 3 Tbsps gelatin, mix with 3 Tbsps heavy cream. Use a fork for the mixing to break it up, as the gelatin will congeal. Mix in two parts Stevia extract for every one part gelatin, and cinnamon to taste. Mix mix mix mix mix mix and get water to boiling like you were brewing tea. And when it's ready, pour it over. The whole thing dissolves and what you get is... unnervingly like a dessert in a cup. Good and good for you.
  • Ooh! I've been refining @karinajean's recipe and finally managed to get fried eggs in the picture. And guys, it's amazing. I recommend it.

Perrin: Training has been happening. There were a couple of sessions where I failed some lifts - couldn't hit my pull up numbers, dipped down and couldn't dip back up, that kind of thing. I ended up taking more rest between sets, and it really seems to have helped. Today, I deadlifted my bodyweight, which is not that impressive given the Swing numbers. It's also not the most I've ever done. But, it's been a long time since I've been here, and I missed it.

Speaking of, I set a new personal best for hinge tonnage - 11,200 in ten minutes. Basically, swinging the 70 for sets of 20, EMOTM. It's a sprinting-exercise substitute, as long as my knee is worrying me. Couldn't quite get to ten minutes, but I'm okay with how this turned out.

Aiel: LAWLHAX. Audiobooks made this whole thing super easy. I go for walks on my lunch break and if I don't have a podcast to listen to, I'm listening to the book. It doesn't even feel like a challenge at this point. I see now why people do this.

Writing's been good. The August Word War was delayed as the instigator graduated Nursing School and wanted to party the weekend before starting. That's completely acceptable. We start next week.

Things finally feel like they're settling out, which is good. But it's just barely so. Everything feels so tightly regimented right now. It won't be this bad once we get out of training and to the units.

Also? Making as much money in one month as I used to in four? That's pretty okay too.

• Like 3

Rand: 88.5/81.25

Mat: 7/7

Perrin: 7/7

Aiel: 7/7; 100%

Well, that's another weekend done.

Had to play it kind of canny this time. In addition to the typical Sunday dalliances, I was going to a party to celebrate a friend's graduation from Nursing School. I wasn't sure what was going to happen there, dietetically speaking - lots of drinking, sure, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be enough food or what. Plenty enough for a bunch of softer nerds. Wasn't sure it'd be enough for them and also me. Or alternately that there'd be too much.

So. Here is how I did it.

Friday, I went and lifted heavy things. It was fun. Nothing about it really stood out - show up, do the job, get out. OHP's getting hard, but that's par for the course, right? And anyway, I did manage it. That night, I ate a bit less than I normally do, because I wanted to have all my stores for energy open to receive.

The next day, I measured myself to get a handle on this month's numbers. Came out at 176 lbs, with a waist measurement at 33.17" or so. On a whim, I decided to measure my shoulders too, and found my Adonis Index was at about 1.35. Which is a nice bonus, given that it wasn't something I was training for.

Ran S&S hard and managed it in 15:10. After that, decided to fill up on protein, so that way I wouldn't get to the place and be fixated on food or anything like that. I did my Greek Yogurt and Protein thing, but I also did some stuff with the smoothie recipe as well: threw in some chocolate whey protein and a tablespoon of almond butter. That did the trick, guys. The thing came out smooth and tasty.

Went out to the party and had a great time. Drunken Cards Against Humanity, Settlers of Catan, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Many conversations about many things from theology to history to echocardiography. I ended up with a girl in my lap more than once, which was quite fascinating, even knowing that neither of them had any interest in me. It was also fascinating to see how much more social grace I had than I remember having had. All things considered, it was a very good night.

A side effect of ingesting so much protein, incidentally, was that I had a hard time getting a buzz. Very handy. I'll have to remember that.

Today, because I knew my parents would want to engage in dietary shenanigans, I decided to go ahead and do weird things with BCAAs and sauerkraut. And lift, because of course.

Warmed Up

Decline Archer Push Ups: 3x6/side

Dips: 3x10

Squats: 1x5x45

1x4x80

1x3x115

3x6,6,5x150

Hopping Pull Ups: 3x4

Cooldown

I figured out why I was so fatigued in the upper body. I skipped a step on the archer push ups. Prior to switching over to assisted one-arms, I had been doing the archers like they were singles on each side. And the truest transition would have been to get more reps on each side. It was not easy, but I felt like I had more energy in the tank - just enough for one more rep in dips. And so on and so forth.

And... that's pretty much it. I finished book 3 on the way out to the party, and the Word War begins tomorrow. I've indulged and I feel satisfied, but not ill. Now to brew some Bone Tea and go pass out.

• Like 3

On 8/6/2016 at 1:15 AM, Kishi said:

Welp, dust has settled on another work week. Had another Test today and, I'm not entirely certain but I think I nailed it. That, or I'm way more lost than I thought.

I've got people wanting me to come out to things every night of the week, or so it feels like. Because nobody else has jobs. Because everyone else is bad at life.

Wait a second, they want to go out all the time, but don't have jobs? No kidding, they are bad at life. I'm glad that you are nailing it at your job.

On 8/6/2016 at 1:15 AM, Kishi said:

Perrin: Training has been happening. There were a couple of sessions where I failed some lifts - couldn't hit my pull up numbers, dipped down and couldn't dip back up, that kind of thing. I ended up taking more rest between sets, and it really seems to have helped. Today, I deadlifted my bodyweight, which is not that impressive given the Swing numbers. It's also not the most I've ever done. But, it's been a long time since I've been here, and I missed it.

Speaking of, I set a new personal best for hinge tonnage - 11,200 in ten minutes. Basically, swinging the 70 for sets of 20, EMOTM. It's a sprinting-exercise substitute, as long as my knee is worrying me. Couldn't quite get to ten minutes, but I'm okay with how this turned out.

Also? Making as much money in one month as I used to in four? That's pretty okay too.

Yay for lifting PRs and making real money!

On 8/7/2016 at 9:51 PM, Kishi said:

I also did some stuff with the smoothie recipe as well: threw in some chocolate whey protein and a tablespoon of almond butter. That did the trick, guys. The thing came out smooth and tasty.

Went out to the party and had a great time. Drunken Cards Against Humanity, Settlers of Catan, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Many conversations about many things from theology to history to echocardiography. I ended up with a girl in my lap more than once, which was quite fascinating, even knowing that neither of them had any interest in me. It was also fascinating to see how much more social grace I had than I remember having had. All things considered, it was a very good night.

A side effect of ingesting so much protein, incidentally, was that I had a hard time getting a buzz. Very handy. I'll have to remember that.

Highly successful experiments - Excellent job!  

What do you credit for your leveling up in social grace? You have done a tremendous amount of work on several fronts over the last few years.

• Like 3

Just now, Mistr said:

Wait a second, they want to go out all the time, but don't have jobs? No kidding, they are bad at life. I'm glad that you are nailing it at your job.

Seconding this. You have first dibs on what you do with your time, and speaking for myself I have a perilously low threshold for drama....

• Like 3

On 8/7/2016 at 10:51 PM, Kishi said:

1x4x80

1x3x115

3x6,6,5x150

You know, I suddenly realize I need to get my ass in gear so you don't catch up to me in everything lifting.

Remember the good old days when you said I lifted more than you?  I sense that's coming to a close....

• Like 1

On 8/10/2016 at 3:30 PM, Mistr said:

Well, like I said, they live off their parents, who have done very well for themselves. They are as they are because, for better or for worse, they can afford to be.

On 8/10/2016 at 3:30 PM, Mistr said:

What do you credit for your leveling up in social grace? You have done a tremendous amount of work on several fronts over the last few years.

I think the biggest credit is learning how to recognize the give and take of conversation. For that, the credit goes to 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, specifically the habit of empathy. Add to that the burgeoning sense of self-confidence on account of lifting things and getting the job. And also the old game I used to play - 1 point for a compliment, 3 points for a question, get to four points in a day to win.

On 8/10/2016 at 3:32 PM, Urgan said:

Seconding this. You have first dibs on what you do with your time, and speaking for myself I have a perilously low threshold for drama....

Yes. Me too. I'm so glad that I found the latest player for our Monday game. I'm glad I know actual adults who know how to play, and not just children who grew old.

8 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

You know, I suddenly realize I need to get my ass in gear so you don't catch up to me in everything lifting.

Remember the good old days when you said I lifted more than you?  I sense that's coming to a close....

Don't be so sure about that. I'm lifting things with the idea of getting to a pistol squat. Once I get to a bodyweight barbell squat, I'll be transitioning, putting a skill session in every other one. Meaning that my numbers are going to slow way down.

I'm not thinking you're in any danger yet.

Rand: 78

Mat: 5/5

Perrin: 5/5

Aiel: 3/5; 100%

Well, I'm throwing out that class grade because it doesn't mean shit.

Got the test back on Monday. Got a lot right in the section that I meant to improve, but got dinged a lot on a lot of things in the case studies that I hadn't been told I needed to pay attention to. So, even though I walked away from what I thought was a good test, I came back to a worse score than I had on my second test.

Before you ask, I did try to work around it. I went begging for more case studies, which they told us they'd have ready in case we got ahead on assignments. And they didn't have any. So, next, I talked to my supervisor, volunteering to stay late and work practice to get it right. She said no - first, because they don't have any case studies, and second because I've already worked eight hours and I need to go home.

"What? I don't want to be paid, I'm volunteering."

"I know. You need to go home."

"But that doesn't make any sense!"

"I know. But you need to go home."

So, I've pretty much spent the past week burning the candle from both ends. I figured out what some of my weak points were - administrative stuff that I let slip, and sufficiently documenting my findings on cases - and I've been studying every night on top of the crash course we do all day. And when I haven't been doing that, I've been lifting weights.

It's very tiring. I wanted to go to train with Sensei on Wednesday, but I lay down to close my eyes for a bit and wound up napping through the whole thing. He wasn't happy about that. Sadly, and I apologize for my irreverence, I'm not sympathetic. He doesn't seem to understand that I live on the other side of town from work, getting up at 0600 to be there by 0730, whereas he only lives fifteen minutes away and doesn't have to be at the place 'til 0900 or so.

Still, there's hope in all this. My supervisor has every confidence that I can pass this test, and she's willing to go to bat for me if worse comes to worse. She's not the only supervisor to say as such - the others have seen me trying to make right, and that amongst other things is probably playing in my favor. Of course, I still have to do my part, and it's not a margin of error I would have chosen, but okay. So be it.

The writing's been happening in between assignments - a bit here, a bit there. The weekend will be a great opportunity to get those words up higher. When I'm not studying. Or doing social shit. Again.

Lifts from the night!

Warmed Up

Decline Archer Push Ups: 3x7,6,6

Dips: 3x11,10,10

1x4x80

1x3x115

3x6x150

Chest to Bar Pull Ups: 3x3

Cooldown

Notes:

• Think I'm going to stick to this number of push ups for a bit. I kinked my back a little bit as a technical experiment. And that was stupid. I'll take banging my head into the floor over back pain any day. Especially since I don't seem to be using my head all that much these days.
  • Man, who ever thought I'd put up dip numbers like that?
  • Chest to Bar Pull Ups were a pleasant surprise on the night. I wouldn't have tried them, but the Voice told me to, and I listened. They felt easy. Like taking the explosion that I normally do and harnessing it.

And that was that.

• Like 1

Re: Wanting to work more/volunteering

So, it's actually illegal to do what you asked ("volunteering" to do work you're normally lid for), which is why your supervisor told you to go home. Because I'm assuming you're salary non-exempt (which is how I think governmental pay bands work), which means no matter how hard you plead that you are doing work for free, the government would have to pay you overtime. And if there's one thing I learned from my dad who works for the VA, not doing overtime unless it's required is pretty much a requirement because of how the budgets work. 

You'll be fine. You put in the work where it's needed, and it shows. And it's great your supervisor will go to bat for you. That's rare. Enjoy it and the governmental-enforced work/life balance. :P

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

You'll be fine. You put in the work where it's needed, and it shows. And it's great your supervisor will go to bat for you. That's rare. Enjoy it and the governmental-enforced work/life balance. :P

RP sums it up well, as always.  You're willing to put in the extra work, want to patch up your weak spots, and your instructors see that if they're willing to go to bat for you.  You don't have to be perfect and you'll make it through.  

Work-life balance is important.  You haven't had a lot of that so it may take some getting used to :-)  It helps you do your best work when you are there.

The nap must have been needed if your body ambushed you and made you miss training.  Good for you taking that rest and avoiding drama.  Yay for less dramatic gaming friends and fun evenings!!!  You're leveling up in all the ways simultaneously.

• Like 2