• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising's weedy warrior challenge

So i'm currently very unwarriorlike. But i want to be more warriorlike.  In that i'd like to be able to lift things and have muscles.

So my challenge to start this off is:

1. Lift things 3xweek.  I'm planning on adapting the strong-lifts regime by using dumbells instead, as i have some of those.
  2. track my food intake using my fitness pal
  3.  Get enough protein in, which has always been my problem
  4. There is no four.

A baseline to start from.

Dumbell squat: 11kg each

Dumbell bench press: 11kg each

Dumbell overhead press: 6kg each

Dumbell deadlift: we'll find out

Dumbell rows: we'll find out.

age 40, height 6'2", weight 161 pounds.

I know i'm starting early but patience isn't one of my strong points.

1.  exercise completed:

• dumbbell squats 12.5kg 5x5
  • dumbbell benchpress 10kg 5x5
  • dumbbell row 10kg 5x5
  • plank 60 secs

2.  food tracked

3.  So i'm over my planned calories for the day by 400 but still need 20g more protein. Will have to plan better tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2016 at 4:53 PM, Phoenix Rising said:

I know i'm starting early but patience isn't one of my strong points.

There is no such thing!  Better to do today then wait for tomorrow.  You got Saturday in, so Monday would have been day 2?  How'd that go?

• Like 3

On 7/19/2016 at 9:57 PM, Grymm said:

There is no such thing!  Better to do today then wait for tomorrow.  You got Saturday in, so Monday would have been day 2?  How'd that go?

What Grymm said :)

• Like 1

Half way update.

the strength training has gone well.  However this week i'm on holiday for the week in the lake district so no weights around.  I should have thought about that really.  Anyway, adapt and overcome.  This week instead i'll be doing lots of hiking, which is exercise, so i figure thats all good.

food tracking is on track.  I've noticed that i was initially over quite a bit so have adapted my diet away from a pasta carbs base towards a more meat and veg base.  

Getting enough protein is still a challenge. I mostly fail so far as my protein sources thus far have mainly been sausages which have quite a lot of fat so i tend to hit my overall calorie target before i reach my protein target.  

I find that I need to eat a lot of lean meats to hit my protein.  I like bacon, sausage, etc, but as you said, anything that's 1:1 protein/fat can't be a primary protein source every day unless you're going full keto.  Since you're away from the weights for a week, it's also a good idea to do some mobility and bodyweight work.  Don't want your upper body lulled into complacency.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grymm said:

I find that I need to eat a lot of lean meats to hit my protein.  I like bacon, sausage, etc, but as you said, anything that's 1:1 protein/fat can't be a primary protein source every day unless you're going full keto.  Since you're away from the weights for a week, it's also a good idea to do some mobility and bodyweight work.  Don't want your upper body lulled into complacency.

Or you could lull it into complacency and then shock the bejonkers out of it next week ;) 

• Like 2