Bookish Becomes a Supple Badger

As some of you may know from my last challenge, my back started acting up for reasons unknown. Much of this challenge is going to be about getting that back in order (see what I did there?) and preventing further problems.

Back Rehab:

1. Do the 2-week Deskbound challenge twice. This means that I will be "mobilizing" a different body section every day, literally head to toe, and focusing on my posture as much as I can remember to do it. (Since I have a brain like a sieve these days, that might not be much.)

2. While at work, use my stability ball for at least 5 minutes at a time, 4 times a day. This will give me a bit more movement and maybe help build some core strength to better support my back. Speaking of which:

Fitness:

3. Do the core exercises that @Guzzi posted to my last challenge, 3 x week.

4. Do the NFA Bodyweight 1A & 1B, alternating 3 x week, and leveling up as seems prudent.

This is kind of sore spot for me, as I was having so much fun weightlifting on the SL 5x5 program and seeing my lifts go up. Going back to basic bodyweight exercises seems anti-climactic.  

As Marcellus Wallace said in Pulp Fiction, "That stinging sensation...is pride fucking with you." I want a happy back more than I want a 200# deadlift, and I my instincts are telling me that dialing back the intensity now will pay off in the long run.

Nutrition:

5. Cook one new fish-based dinner per week.

My diet needs more variety (and I'm sure my husband would welcome some new dishes, too!) and my back has me thinking about inflammation and how diet can improve it or make it worse. Fish is a food that can help both purposes.

Level Up My Life:

*Complete NFA initial Mindset Quests.

*Create Character Page & link to Forum signature.

*Mindmap long-term goals and break them down into steps, then add to Personal Quests.

*Start Bullet Journal w/current goals & to-dos. I am incredibly persnickety about this sort of thing so it might take me a few tries to sort out a format that I really like. Some ideas are percolating though and I need to get them out of my brain and into a physical form. 

So there you have it. A hodgepodge of daily, weekly, and whenever-in-the-next-four-weeks tasks. This is my third challenge and in some ways the most ambitious; I'm the sort that likes to have 2 or at max 3 things to focus on at a time. This is a much bigger list (tho not quite up to @Kvedulf's league yet :) ) that in some ways feels scattershot. At the same time, I've been stalling on some of these things for too long and I've a feeling that just getting them done will make a difference going forward. 

Allons-y! (Actually, I've never watched Dr. Who, that was the name of my high-school French text :P )

• Like 11

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

I love your goals!

love-wallpapers-18.jpg

I have a scatter/sieve like brain too but I have to take medication regularly throughout the day so I have an alarm set on my phone for every time I need to take my pills.  I was going to suggest that you do something similar for your stability ball.

I was also going to ask if you are going to post up your fishy recipes?  I love fish and would love to read your recipes. I'm also a bit of an underpants collector when it comes to recipes.  I have more recipes than I could ever possibly cook.  One day I will have a challenge quest to use a different recipe every single day, just to actually do something with them, lol! :D 

Good luck Badger!  Looking forward to seeing your progress!

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Great goals! I'm sure you'll be back on track in no time! (Eh? Eh? Geddit? I'm sorry... I've had my head in the Undertale fandom lately... bad puns have been invading my brain.)

I have never seen the entirety of Pulp Fiction... I feel this is probably a failing in my life.

On y va et bonne chance!

• Like 4

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

First off, you absolutely have to watch at least a few episodes of Doctor Who. 

Now that that's out of the way,

you have some good goals. I feel your pain with the back issues. Mine is fairly jacked up as well. Not sure which core exercises you will be doing but I have found core strengthening to be very effective.  One that I really like is the kettle bell swing, but you have to find what you can handle also. 

Just for background I have 2 herniated discs, L4& L5 iirc, arthritis in my spine, spondylosis, and something else I can't remember that has something to do with bony protrusions. That may be part of the spondylosis, not sure. 

Just take it one day at a time and do not be tempted to push through any pain. 

Oh and +1 on any fish recipes you might want to share. I could eat fish of one sort or another everyday and be happy. 

• Like 2

I had actually written a post but the forum goblins stole it. 

Awesome challenge Badger. We got your back ;)

• Like 4

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

Great goals, as someone with a pretty messed up spine myself i really do sympathise with you.

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Thanks for the words of support, everyone! Here are the exercises that @Guzzi recommended in my last challenge:

No 1.  

Lie on your back with your spine in a neutral position* and your core engaged. Have your feet hip-with apart and toes pointing towards the ceiling. Keeping your pelvis level and your core engaged, slowly slide one foot up towards your bottom as far as is comfortable, keeping your heel on the floor and your knee in line with your foot (don't let your knee flop out to the side) then return it to the starting position.  Switch sides and repeat. The aim here is control, move slowly and keep the pelvis level. You may find it helpful to put your hands on the points of your hip bones for feedback.  

No 2. - Adding in arm movements.  

Start in the same position as No. 1 but make sure your arms at at your sides. This time, as you draw your foot up raise the opposite arm, reach up and back as far as you are comfortable without arching your back or moving your shoulders. As you slide your heel back return your arm to the starting position. Keep your core engaged and your pelvis level throughout.  

No 3.  

Same starting position, hands by your sides. This time draw your heel up towards your bottom then lift your foot up so that your knee is directly above your hip and your foot is level with your knee. This is called Table Top position. Keeping your core engaged and your pelvis level, extend your leg towards your foot (your leg should end up straight and angled approx 30° off the floor) and slowly lower back down.  

No 4. - Half bridge 

Start on your back with your legs bent, feet and knees hip-width apart and your arms down at your sides. Engage your core and flatten you back into the mat. Tilt your pelvis so that your tailbone lifts then slowly pull your pelvis up towards you, curling up off the mat until you reach the ribcage. It is important to think of it as pulling up with the abdominals rather than pushing up with the legs. Hold this position for 20ish seconds then roll back down (curling the spine as much as possible) to the starting position.  

• Like 8

On 7/16/2016 at 9:37 AM, Bookish Badger said:

*Start Bullet Journal w/current goals & to-dos. I am incredibly persnickety about this sort of thing so it might take me a few tries to sort out a format that I really like. Some ideas are percolating though and I need to get them out of my brain and into a physical form.

I have been doing a bullet journal for about a year, and I am always tweaking it in little ways to make it better. 

Good for you taking care of your back!

• Like 4

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.

Dalai Lama

Thank you for sharing those back exercises! I was going to ask, but I forgot? Sorry.

Oh! OH! If you're going to watch just a few episodes of Doctor Who, I'd recommend Blink, because you literally don't have to know anything about anything to understand what's going on. And it's scary. I also recommend Vincent and the Doctor, because it is one (of many) that made me cry. Just... the first episode listed on Netflix is... super weird and it isn't the best. If you want to actually get into the show, I would recommend starting at the beginning and forcing yourself to watch until the two episodes about the London Blitz. If you don't like the show after that, then Doctor Who isn't for you. But if you're just curious and don't want to commit the time to watch that much, those two should be fine.

If you don't want to watch any episodes of Doctor Who, that's fine too. Sorry about the tangent.

• Like 5

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”

10 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

If you don't want to watch any episodes of Doctor Who, that's utterly crazy! Sorry about the tangent.

Fixed that for ya! :P 

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I sat up straight reading your goals!!! Thank you! 

Loved how you used the word "Persnickety" haven't seen that word in a very long time.

good luck with your goals! I think it's awesome using a ball at work!

oh and I love your title, I chuckled when I read it.

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Yay found you! I'm late to the party this challenge...need to sit down and write mine tonight. Where does the time go.

I'm sorry you hurt your back but I am so happy to see you putting recovery at the centre of your new challenge. After all, wisdom and prudence are the backbone of all successful and sustainable fitness programs. Pun so very intended :D

And don't discount bodyweight exercises! They're not as dramatic as free weights but I think bodyweight work does a lot to strengthen the stability muscles that help prevent injuries, which would help prevent an unwelcome recurrence of your current back woes!

As an organizing fiend who loves anything about dayplanners and to-do lists and such, I would really love updates on the format you settle on for your bullet journal.

• Like 4

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

On July 17, 2016 at 3:51 AM, HappyCat said:

Great goals, as someone with a pretty messed up spine myself i really do sympathise with you.

My mom has a really messed up back and has had for as long as I can remember. She is waiting for a surgery date right now for possible lumbar vertebrae fusion. This follows spinal decompression/delamination of many of the same vertebrae last year, and having 6 cervical vertebrae fused the year before that when acute spinal stenosis nearly killed her (reading between the lines of what she said when she was doped up; she didn't want to worry me of course). So three major surgeries in as many years. 

That was preceded by decades of progressively ineffective pain management and serious limitations on what she could do. Go to the movies? Not if the movie is longer than an hour & a half, because she couldn't sit in uncomfortable movie seats so long. Go cheer the local high-school football team to the championships? 2+ hours on those bleachers was a no-go. Exercise was limited to walking (at least she did that without fail) because weight-lifting or even calisthenics were on the no-fly list. We know better now, but that's how they rehabbed backs in her generation. 

So I know first hand that, as annoying and honestly painful at times as this tweak has been over the past few weeks, it's a spit in the ocean compared to how bad it can get.

And to that end, I need to say thank you to everyone I've met on NF over the past few weeks, especially @Severine, @Dagger, and @Kvedulf. Everyone has been so welcoming and supportive, and those three were the very first to reach out to me and cheer me on. And this has given me the impetus to deal with this issue directly. When I realized that the problem wasn't going to just go away, my initial reaction was panic. "Oh, god, it's happening to me, it's my turn and this is going to be my life now." I tend to shut down and hide in my burrow when stuff like that happens - which is almost always a non-effective response (unless a T-Rex is chasing you, and that hasn't happened in, oh, months now). But now I feel like the challenges have given me a structure for dealing with nearly anything, and the community will give me support and effective feedback on what I'm doing. So thank you all, and back at you.

• Like 10

On July 16, 2016 at 0:37 PM, Bookish Badger said:

Allons-y! (Actually, I've never watched Dr. Who, that was the name of my high-school French text :P )

For once I'm speechless!

On July 16, 2016 at 0:37 PM, Bookish Badger said:

I want a happy back more than I want a 200# deadlift, and I my instincts are telling me that dialing back the intensity now will pay off in the long run.

You'll be surprised how much those core exercises will make a difference. I frequently used to visit a chiropractor for adjustments. My primary care physician convinced me to go to a physical therapist who taught me a routine of core exercises and stretches. Kept it up and haven't been to the chiropractor in years.

• Like 3

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

11 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

For once I'm speechless!

I feel like I need to go on record by saying that I have nothing against Dr. Who, and I do plan on watching the whole thing at some point (and since we're up to about a bazillion seasons now I'd better get cracking). It is just an area of my nerd development that has been sadly neglected so far

9 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

I feel like I need to go on record by saying that I have nothing against Dr. Who, and I do plan on watching the whole thing at some point (and since we're up to about a bazillion seasons now I'd better get cracking). It is just an area of my nerd development that has been sadly neglected so far

I've only seen a few Doctor Who episodes—the ones with Captain Jack Harkness (aka John Barrowman *happy sigh*). I have watched one season of the spin-off called Torchwood though.

On 16 Jul 2016 at 6:59 PM, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

I have never seen the entirety of Pulp Fiction... I feel this is probably a failing in my life.

I haven't seen it either. Or most other classic films that everyone should see. I need to spend time with someone who really likes those films who'll watch them with me.

22 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

And to that end, I need to say thank you to everyone I've met on NF over the past few weeks, especially @Severine, @Dagger, and @Kvedulf. Everyone has been so welcoming and supportive, and those three were the very first to reach out to me and cheer me on. And this has given me the impetus to deal with this issue directly. When I realized that the problem wasn't going to just go away, my initial reaction was panic. "Oh, god, it's happening to me, it's my turn and this is going to be my life now." I tend to shut down and hide in my burrow when stuff like that happens - which is almost always a non-effective response (unless a T-Rex is chasing you, and that hasn't happened in, oh, months now). But now I feel like the challenges have given me a structure for dealing with nearly anything, and the community will give me support and effective feedback on what I'm doing. So thank you all, and back at you.

Awww... <3 Right back at ya.

Seriously, I've off-hand tried challenges before but haven't even started then. Here there is a lot of encouragements and so many other people whose challenges you can follow along with. And the discussions. So much goodness. :)

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Mini-update: 

The Deskbound mobilization routines hurt! I'm sticking with it for the challenge, but dammit it better be worth it. At least foam rolling my upper back doesn't hurt too bad and seems to help, but I'm already starting to hate on that little lacrosse ball - I want to draw a little evil grin on it. I saw an article about myofacial release work refer to it as a "painball." I get it now.

I met my fish-dish challenge sideways by accident :P I'd sent my husband to Costco with a list and vague instructions to get "whatever else looked good." He came back with a package of 2 beautiful Copper River salmon fillets! Here's how he cooked it:

1. Go over the fillets with tweezers or pliers to pull out any pin bones.

2. Sprinkle the fillets lightly with salt, pepper, dried thyme and a little brown sugar. Those who are are sugar-free can skip the brown sugar, but we're talking maybe a teaspoon of sugar per whole fillet, so it's not going to be a huge hit. For metric readers, that would be not quite 5ml (I know sugar isn't a liquid, but at least they're both measurements of volume).

3. Cut the fillets into portions. Preheat your oven's broiler. Heat an oven-proof, preferably non-stick, skillet over medium high heat.

4. When the skillet is fairly hot, add the oil of your choice (butter will probably scorch, delicious as it is), and then the fillet portions skin down. Let it cook without moving the fish for a few minutes, until the flesh is opaque about halfway up the sides.

5. Put skillet under the broiler until the fish is done to your liking. If you like it still rare in the middle, this will be about 30 seconds, up to 2 minutes for those who like it more done. NOTE: if you don't have a broiler, you can put a lid on the skillet after the fish has been added. You'll probably want to turn the heat down to medium so that the bottoms don't burn while the top cooks.

Serve with lemon wedges and the veggies of your choice. I like asparagus. NOMNOMNOM.

• Like 6

Mmmm fish. The problem that I have with fish is that I live in the Midwest, so none of it's fresh? It's hard to find good seafood when you're surrounded by grassy plains.

• Like 2

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."