Bookish Becomes a Supple Badger

Glad you're sticking with the exercises.  Back pain (as you say) is no laughing matter.  I like body weight and core exercises for my bad back.  Also, as @Rebel_Timelord says, PT can be quite helpful.  Had a year of it for my back as well.  Wishing you continued suppleness

• Like 1

Oooh, yum yum yum! I love salmon.

It's funny but every time I read your thread I sit up a little straighter and engage my core muscles.  Your challenge is helping me achieve my goals, lol! :D  I feel your pain (geddit?) with the lacrosse ball, that isn't fun.  Though I think the worst has to be when you work on you IT bands, THAT is nasty! *shudders*

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 19/07/2016 at 10:28 AM, Bookish Badger said:

And to that end, I need to say thank you to everyone I've met on NF over the past few weeks, especially @Severine, @Dagger, and @Kvedulf. Everyone has been so welcoming and supportive, and those three were the very first to reach out to me and cheer me on.

Naaawww, thanks :)

I think I'm going to have a look into the Deskbound stuff. Anything to help with posture is good. And salmon is quite possibly one of the tastiest things ever. How's things going?

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

I think things are starting to look up or back or something :) 

My back was twinging a little bit today, but I changed my desk chair setting to be a little higher, which puts my arms at a better position in relation to my keyboard. Of course, this means that my feet are off the floor. *sigh* I may have to get IT to lower my desk top for me (we have custom adjustable desks). I hate to ask because it involves dismantling the thing and it's a lot of work for an inch & a half but my back felt better than it has in a while. Maybe I'll just bring in a foot rest. 

I don't have much of an update, so I thought I'd review Deskbound v. Becoming a Supple Leopard for those who are interested.

First, there is a fair amount of overlap between the two. They both have the same information regarding posture, myofascial mobility work, and advice regarding sitting (stand as much as you can; if you must sit, mind your posture; get up and move around for 5 minutes for every 30 minutes that you sit). 

Deskbound has somewhat longer and more dire warnings about the hazards of sitting. I realize this is the authors' bread & butter, but they do get a little extreme. I think they're the ones who coined the "sitting is the new smoking" phrase. On the other hand, the Kindle edition is $9.99 as opposed to $25 on Amazon for a physical book. I ended up buying this version and can say that the illustrations and photos render well. 

Becoming a Supple Leopard is targeted more towards the dedicated athlete, particularly those who lift weights as part of their training. In addition to the information described above, the bulk of the book is dedicated to weight lifting form faults, their causes, and how to correct them. Standard training/power lifts and Olympic lifts are addressed. This section is fascinating, and probably inspired a lot of lifters to get form checks. On the other hand, this book is nearly $40 in hardcover on Amazon and is not available in other  formats.

Criticism of both books: the photos demonstrating posture faults and corrections are all of Starrette, who is wearing standard dude gymwear of baggy knee-length shorts and loose-fitting long tee. This makes it difficult, if not impossible, to see the postural differences that the photos are supposed to illustrate! It doesn't help that he has a rather blocky build that doesn't look much different when he's slouched v. straight. Or maybe I'm not discerning enough.

TL:DR:

If you want to improve your posture and mobility, and have a Kindle app on your tablet or laptop, get Deskbound in digital.

If you are a serious weight lifter and have the money to spare, get Becoming a Supple Leopard.

If you have neither money nor Kindle app, and/or aren't sure how serious you are about lifting, look for either volume at your library. If they don't have one, they can probably get it through an interlibrary loan.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

• Like 8

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

12 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

My back was twinging a little bit today, but I changed my desk chair setting to be a little higher, which puts my arms at a better position in relation to my keyboard. Of course, this means that my feet are off the floor. *sigh* I may have to get IT to lower my desk top for me (we have custom adjustable desks). I hate to ask because it involves dismantling the thing and it's a lot of work for an inch & a half but my back felt better than it has in a while. Maybe I'll just bring in a foot rest. 

Glad you seem to have found an area to fix when it comes to your back problem.

I just shifted my main desk to a standing desk and I need to go searching for a good article on transitioning to a standing desk. Right now I'm just making sure I don't stay at the computer too long.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Honestly, this entire thread makes me sit up straight, so thank you so much for that!

• Like 2

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

I just shifted my main desk to a standing desk

I've considered asking for an adjustable desk stand so I could switch from sitting to standing throughout the day. My company will provide one, if I provide a doctor's authorization. That seems fair to me, I just haven't gotten around to making an appt to talk to the doc yet.

26 minutes ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Honestly, this entire thread makes me sit up straight, so thank you so much for that!

And here I am, slouching away ;) Not really, but I do need frequent reminders to straighten out of my default side-slump position.

• Like 3

Im finding yoga is making me more mindful of my posture (its also making my lower back and my neck/shoulders complain, which im hoping will settle with time as the surrounding muscles strengthen and are better able to hold the bones in a more *correct* stance).  Im only doing very basic beginner poses, but i can feel that im holding my body differently during the humdrum of the day. 

• Like 4

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

1 hour ago, HappyCat said:

Im finding yoga is making me more mindful of my posture (its also making my lower back and my neck/shoulders complain, which im hoping will settle with time as the surrounding muscles strengthen and are better able to hold the bones in a more *correct* stance).  Im only doing very basic beginner poses, but i can feel that im holding my body differently during the humdrum of the day. 

Yoga works for me like this too. That just doing it makes me more aware and more likely to have good posture. Thankfully, I don't seem to get any problems from it so far.

• Like 1

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Having your and @Owlet goals I have been paying alot more attention to my posture. I have a video I have been doing for stretching and there is a 15 minute stretch for posture I've done twice this week.  I've been catching myself at the dinner table, watching tv, riding bike, and sitting at the computer.  This is wonderful because having my kids around me, I want them to see me sitting up straight so they will.  I've been on it with their posture as well :)

Thank you for the book reviews. I'm looking up the Supple Leopard now.

• Like 4

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

I hope your back gets better soon! Good luck with your quests. I will be following along.

• Like 1

For what it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

Current challenge, Previous challenges: 32, 1

Totally following and stealing your exercises. And cheering you on, of course. :)

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Time for the week 1 recap:

Back Realignment: 

I'm working my way through the Deskbound mobility exercises. I'm not sure I'm seeing much improvement overall, except when I foam roll my upper back, but I'll stick with it for the remainder of the challenge. 100% there.

I've also been using my stability ball at work several times a day. Am I the only one who wants to glue a handle on these things and go bouncing around the office as if it were one of those kids' toys from the 70s? Another 100%

Fitness:

This has been more sporadic than I'd like as a few things threw my schedule out of whack. Overall, I missed one day of bodyweight exercises and two days of core exercises. 60% there.

Nutrition:

I went off-plan last night and my husband and I splurged on sushi. Yes, I could have kept it paleo by getting sashimi and I'll consider it in the future, but I didn't wanna. While this does get more fish in my diet, it doesn't count toward my goal of trying fish at home, dammit, so a nice fat cod fillet was added to the shopping list. I plan on baking it with a pecan crust; I'll let you know how it turns out. 100% (so far, this'll go to 0 if I ruin it & order pizza).

Speaking of new foods, has anyone tried shirataki noodles? They are an Asian noodle that is virtually no-carb so they are approved in paleo/keto circles. Any tips for using them?

Leveling Up:

My bullet journal is up and running. I anticipate a few tweaks here and there, but for the most part it's working well. I've also done a couple more NFA mindset quests. This week, I plan to do some mind-mapping and make some choices about just what I want to play with next.

• Like 5

I used a stability ball for a desk chair all through college and we definitely bounced around the halls with it. WIthout a handle, which was interesting. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I eat shirataki noodles once or twice a month, as I eat very LC due to T2 diabetes.  The noodles have no taste on their own, but provide a suitably textured pasta substitute in a rich Bolognese-type sauce (the fettuccine version) or in a coconut milk curry, stir-fry or pho for the noodle version.  I didn't like the rice or penne types.  It's important to rinse them well before cooking as the liquid they're stored in smells yucky (the noodles don't keep the smell once rinsed).  I know people who can't stand shirataki noodles and compare them to elastic bands, but I find they add variety - after all, sometimes I want a break from courgetti! ;)  Good luck and let us know how you liked them!

• Like 1

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

On 23.7.2016 at 2:06 AM, Bookish Badger said:

I have a foot rest and absolutly love it. I used to have one that moved (like the treadle bit on an old old sewing machine) which I liked even better, but without foot rest I could not sit properly.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Time for the week 1 recap:

Back Realignment: 

I'm working my way through the Deskbound mobility exercises. I'm not sure I'm seeing much improvement overall, except when I foam roll my upper back, but I'll stick with it for the remainder of the challenge. 100% there.

I've also been using my stability ball at work several times a day. Am I the only one who wants to glue a handle on these things and go bouncing around the office as if it were one of those kids' toys from the 70s? Another 100%

Fitness:

This has been more sporadic than I'd like as a few things threw my schedule out of whack. Overall, I missed one day of bodyweight exercises and two days of core exercises. 60% there.

Nutrition:

I went off-plan last night and my husband and I splurged on sushi. Yes, I could have kept it paleo by getting sashimi and I'll consider it in the future, but I didn't wanna. While this does get more fish in my diet, it doesn't count toward my goal of trying fish at home, dammit, so a nice fat cod fillet was added to the shopping list. I plan on baking it with a pecan crust; I'll let you know how it turns out. 100% (so far, this'll go to 0 if I ruin it & order pizza).

Speaking of new foods, has anyone tried shirataki noodles? They are an Asian noodle that is virtually no-carb so they are approved in paleo/keto circles. Any tips for using them?

Leveling Up:

My bullet journal is up and running. I anticipate a few tweaks here and there, but for the most part it's working well. I've also done a couple more NFA mindset quests. This week, I plan to do some mind-mapping and make some choices about just what I want to play with next.

Sounds like the first week went well. Good job.

I hadn't even heard of shirataki noodles, so can't help you there, but interested in answers.

• Like 1

Awesome work on the challenge. So good to see nice big numbers there. Don't sweat it too much if you're not seeing improvement in your back yet. These things take time :)

Sorry, but I can't help with the shirataki noodles. Haven't cooked with them. I've eaten them though and I'm not a fan. It was like eating rubber. Except rubber at least has a flavour. I much prefer using udon noodles or rice, but I'm not following a paleo diet.

• Like 1

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

On July 24, 2016 at 6:40 PM, Bookish Badger said:

I think you need to get a resume into this office ASAP!

• Like 4

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Hullo, fellow back pain issue person! Bear with me on the source here, but a weightlifting friend of mine suggested I add some exercises from this "article" to my routine to build my core/help with back pain. The thought seemed logical, so I tried them and have seen improvements. I added the simplest move from each of his four categories that I could handle--Ball Rollouts, Offset Farmer's Walk (the instructions are flipped with Waiter Walks), half-kneeling Pallof press, and the Ball Jackknives. Also, extra stretches for the hip flexors and hamstrings have been helpful too. Just thought I'd mention them because they've been so helpful. :) 

Keep up the good work! Getting workouts in when your back just isn't right is tough work.

• Like 1

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Hmm, yam noddles... I've never had shirataki noodles, and so far it seems one person likes than and one person doesn't. I'll be curious to see who breaks the tie.

• Like 2

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

On July 25, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Rebel_Timelord said:

I think you need to get a resume into this office ASAP!

That video was so funny! Thank you for the laugh, TL! I often find myself bouncing in time to whatever song I'm listening to at the moment. It's a good thing I'm in a corner where I'm out of most people's sight line (I've reached the pinnacle of office ambition - a cube where no one can see my monitors).

10 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Getting workouts in when your back just isn't right is tough work.

Thanks for the link, Pollyanna! Those exercises look interesting, and I'll definitely look at incorporating them.

10 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

I'll be curious to see who breaks the tie.

An idea I've been toying with is a cross between spring rolls and sushi hand rolls - putting the kind of fillings you'd find in a spring roll into a nori wrapper instead of rice paper. It seems like the shirataki noodles would be a good substitute for the rice noodles, especially if they are marinated in the dressing to soak up some flavor. Maybe I'll try that next week.

As for this week's experiment, I baked cod in a pecan crust. Here was what I did:

1. Preheated the oven to 400F.

2. Cut a cod fillet (a little over 1 pound for two hungry animals) into 4 "equal" pieces. Equal is in quotes because one end of the fillet was really thick, and the other really thin, so I doubled the thin part over itself so that it was closer in thickness to the rest of the fillet before cutting it up.

3. Scrambled two eggs in a pie plate, and seasoned with salt and pepper.

4. "Chopped" a couple large handfuls of bulk pecans into tiny pieces by putting them into a ziplock back and smacking the holy heck out of them with a heavy-bottomed skillet. Recipes will tell you to grind them in a blender, but then I'd have to clean it. And this was more fun. It also scared my husband and my cat, keeping them both out of the kitchen while I cooked ;) 

5. Put the "chopped" pecans into a 2nd pie plate, and seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, cayenne, and allspice. I don't have measurements, sorry, I just added stuff until it smelled good. :) 

6. Dredged the fish pieces on both sides in the egg, then the pecans, and placed them on a baking sheet that I'd lined with foil and coated with olive oil. Once they were all coated, I pressed the leftover pecans onto the tops. 

7. Baked for 15 minutes. 

The fish came out really tasty, and any dinner that can be ready to serve in less than 30 minutes is a keeper in my book! While it tasted good, it still seemed a bit bland, like it was missing something. I think next time, I'll try a mayo/Dijon mustard mix for pecan glue, instead of the eggs.

• Like 9