Dagger Paints Her Home Base

Dagger

Written July 16

Right now this will look like nothing like the challenge will be.

WHY?

Because on Monday (July 18) a good friend arrives to spend four days with me living in my house. So I will not try to do challenge stuff then, although some will happen. After that I need social recovery time, which I've finally accepted as a normal part of my life as an introvert.

I like my challenges to start on Mondays, so my challenge will start on July 25. Some time before then I will update this post to show my goals, but I'll give a teaser until then...

It will involve torturing myself for a better schedule! Much fun will commence!

~*~*~*~*~*~

Written July 20

So time to add some of my goals. I first had one plan, but I've changed it slightly. Why?

Because it turns out the rope course at NF camp has a weight limit of 250 pounds. I am currently 116,3 kg which makes 256,4#. So if I still want to do it, I need to lose say 7# or preferably more. So far I haven't been focused on trying to loose weight. I've focused on the simplest habits for me to implement to level up my days. But I want to try. I have a deadline for trying. If I've gotten nowhere on August 11/12, then I can still cancel my ticket to the rope course.

CLARIFICATION: I don't need to have lost 7# by August 11/12, but I need to be sure I will by the time camp is (middle of September). Although it sure would be nice. (Added July 21)

This means I have to try this challenge and it means I have to change what I first planned to do. I need to start fighting the sugar beast. I'm hoping the extra motivation from such a nice reward will help me actually work harder. :3

GOALS

Exercise

• Morning walk 5 or more times per week right after waking up (15+ times)
  • 7000+ steps per day (21 days)
  • Hike a trail (preferably 1+ hours) 1 times per week (3 times)
  • Yoga 2 or more times per week (6+ times)
  • 22 push ups per day (22 days) (see info below)

Extra Credit: Do the yoga right after the morning walk, since that is the time I want to be doing it.

Nutrition

• Cook 1 or more slow-cooked meal per week (3+ times)
  • No sweets with nor after dinner (alteratives: tea, fruit, nothing) (21 days)
  • No food after 22:00 (21 days)
  • NFA quest: Defeat the Sugar Beast Level 1 (sugar craving: eat fruit instead of sweets) (5 times) — might make this higher (quest says 5), or technically any sugar craving after dinner will have to be defeated like this
  • Food journal every day (just approx., no calories needed (I wouldn't stick if it was)) (21 days)

Extra Credit: I'm not sure there is a point to that. Because I already set a beast challenge for this!!!

Level Up Your Life

• Get up between 7:00-7:30 (Sunrise lamp at 7:00, phone alarm at 7:30 on the other side of room) (21 days) <— This is the torture, @Severine.
  • Write 600 words per week (1800 words)
  • NFA quest: Warm It Up (create a warm up with NFA help) (Week 1)
  • NFA quest: Cool It Down (create a cool down with NFA help) (Week 2)
  • NFA quest: Complete Your First Workout (do Bodyweight 1A) (Week 3)

Extra Credit: Well, the NFA quests here are basically the extra credit. Do one quest per week I suppose would work well. :3

And yes, I know I am insane. Tell me something new!

~*~*~*~*~*~

@Aeri-sand challenged me to do 22 push-ups for 22 days to raise awareness for the 22 U.S. Soldiers that, on average, commit suicide each day.

While donating money is not part of the challenge, checkout these charities if you feel inclined to further support our veterans: 22kill.comstop22.orgbattledawgs.org

‪#‎22pushups‬ for ‪#‎22kill‬ push up challenge to raise awareness for the 22 U.S. soldiers that, on average, commit suicide each day.

Here's how it works. Complete 22 push ups each day for 22 days and post your progress. Form doesn't matter. Time doesn't matter. Let's spread awareness to put an end to this tragedy. 1 is too many. 

Challenge a new person to do this every day you do it. Everyone is invited to join the challenge when you read this. I don't want to try and find 22 peeps here on the forum to challenge (especially if I would try to find someone who wasn't already challenged...), but I also don't like this kind of social pressure which is what it too often feels like.

I like this meme better than others because it also fits with this fitness forum and it works into my plans.

Thanks, @Aeri-sand. :) I'll do push ups for two causes: the US soldiers and myself.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Yes, this is my crazy challenge to see if I can loose 7# before August 11/12. Right now, I feel motivated, but right now I'm also spending a lot of fun time with my friend.

Let the games begin!

~*~*~*~*~*~

Written August 14

• Like 8

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

9 hours ago, durfette said:

same here! introverts unite! separately, and alone in your own homes. 

Yes!

• Like 2

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

*waves introvert flag, alone, in her cat filled house*

• Like 4

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Social recovery... I like that!  Do you have that feeling when your around people/friends of "should I say something? Is it ok to be silent?" Or the opposite?  

I'm always fascinated by how people view connection and what they feel is connecting with someone. 

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

On 17 Jul 2016 at 0:36 PM, HappyCat said:

*waves introvert flag, alone, in her cat filled house*

I haven't gotten around to adding pets to my home yet. Not sure if/when it would happen, but I really love cats. Maybe when/if I travel less or find someone who would care for the cats when I'm away.

10 hours ago, Butternut said:

Social recovery... I like that!  Do you have that feeling when your around people/friends of "should I say something? Is it ok to be silent?" Or the opposite?  

No, I don't have any troubles with being social. I guess the reason it drains me so much is because I'm completely focused all the time in a way I'm not otherwise. But I'm not really sure that is it either. I'm engaged with my emotions all the time when with others?

I just know that I'm completely emotionally drained after spending a lot of time with people (or after spending even short amounts of time with toxic people). My emotional stability goes away so I get upset really easily for minor things (or non-things) and my will power is completely sunk through the floor.

• Like 2

Hello! I was going say Hello fellow introvert, but... I'm not sure if I am anymore? Or if I ever was? Maybe I was a shy, repressed extrovert. Maybe I'm an outgoing introvert now! I mean, I'm fine being by myself, but I usually feel energized after hanging with friends and want it to keep going.

WHO AM IIII?

Whatever label sticks, I know this: spending time with toxic people always sucks.

• Like 3

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

6 minutes ago, M_J said:

Hello! I was going say Hello fellow introvert, but... I'm not sure if I am anymore? Or if I ever was? Maybe I was a shy, repressed extrovert. Maybe I'm an outgoing introvert now! I mean, I'm fine being by myself, but I usually feel energized after hanging with friends and want it to keep going.

WHO AM IIII?

Whatever label sticks, I know this: spending time with toxic people always sucks.

Maybe you're an ambivert, like me. I was an introverted child, but I grew less and less introverted with age (measurably... adults kept shoving Meyers-Briggs assessments in my face). I recently took an assessment for a class I was in, and didn't measure strongly introverted or extraverted. Until recently, I didn't really know your personality type (especially your intra/extraversion) COULD change over the course of your life. Now it seems obvious. 

In terms of energy flow, being an 'ambivert' basically just means you have to know yourself and find the right balance... because you can re-energize yourself or get energized from social interactions, but they can also wipe you out if it gets overwhelming or boring. I have a lot of trouble because I still identify strongly with my introverted upbringing, and when I'm feeling low-energy naturally fall back on the old "retreat to my personal space" scenario. It doesn't always work.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Butternut said:

when your around people/friends of "should I say something? Is it ok to be silent?" Or the opposite?  

Good question! I wanna say... both? I enjoy being alone before the mean girls in my head tell me I'm lame and have no friends. And I'm fine being social...until the mean girls in my head tell me I'm lame and have no friends. I'm much better one-on-one, but in groups I am often exhausted and insecure. Even if they're "my people." I never think I'm too quiet. I always think I'm too loud and obnoxious and need to shut up. I even play this game where I challenge myself not to say anything for five minutes at a time to help time pass.  I should seriously get an award for awkward comments made. I just think I lack social skills in general, probably cuz I was off in corners reading books when I was little rather than playing tag and talking to people. It's possible I'm not really as introverted as I think, and my insecurity just manifests itself as being introverted pretending to be outgoing. Do you have anything similar? 

• Like 2

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

I'm slightly unsettled by your promise of schedule torture. Unsettled yet intrigued.

I grew up extremely introverted (when I was very young they thought I was autistic because I was so off in my own little world, ignoring everyone except my mum) but my mother kept throwing me into activity after activity to force me to learn to make friends. It worked, I guess, in that I'm now one of the more outgoing people in my social circles. And I do genuinely enjoy social time with the right people and I miss it if I don't get enough social interaction. And I like meeting interesting new people. But I also need alone time and I have very little patience for small talk or other interactions with people I find boring or abrasive. Not sure where that puts me.

@durfette I often worry that I talk too much (I am definitely one of the more talkative people in my circles, and I feel pressure to talk if nobody is talking( and sometimes do the same thing where I challenge myself to stay quiet. It's a source of pretty significant self-doubt for me. All my friends and family assure me I'm worrying for nothing but I honestly have trouble believing it - they love me, so I think it's just that they're patient or forgiving.

@Dagger I hope you have a fantastic visit with your friend! Anything exciting planned?

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

11 hours ago, M_J said:

WHO AM IIII?

WHO ARE YOU?

Hey, I just met you. And this is crazy. But here's my label, now label me maybe... (Okay, didn't completely work...)

Yes, toxic people sucks, which is why I shove them out of my life as quick as I can or I avoid spending time with them any way I can without getting in trouble. So I barely spend time with toxic people even on a yearly basis! :D

11 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

Until recently, I didn't really know your personality type (especially your intra/extraversion) COULD change over the course of your life. Now it seems obvious. 

I learned this when I went from an extroverted child/teen to an introvert after finding no friends in my new school for the last few years at High School (Swedish system isn't exactly like the American (I'm sure you are shocked! Shocked you tell me!), but that is the equivalent years). Although it is hard to guess how much of an extrovert I was or wasn't. I hated being alone, but I also didn't get exhausted from spending loads of time with friends.

7 hours ago, durfette said:

I'm much better one-on-one, but in groups I am often exhausted and insecure.

Same, except for the insecurity. The best kinds of parties is to have a few close friends over, say 2-4, and to have dinner together and talk about all kinds of topics. That is a perfect party to me. I do like the dancing kind, but if I had to party every weekend, I'd choose the intimate (the platonic intimate just to clarify) dinner with friends.

7 hours ago, Severine said:

I'm slightly unsettled by your promise of schedule torture. Unsettled yet intrigued.

Yay! The reaction I was looking for! Score!

7 hours ago, Severine said:

@Dagger I hope you have a fantastic visit with your friend! Anything exciting planned?

A dinner "cruise" on a local lake (about 3 hours), and cooking a lot of great food. And baking a lot of nice cakes/sweets. We also plan to go out walking along a new trail close to home that I learned about. We also plan to do yoga a few times (did just an hour ago!). So that is the exciting things we will do. :D

• Like 3

On 19/07/2016 at 5:28 AM, Dagger said:

I haven't gotten around to adding pets to my home yet. Not sure if/when it would happen, but I really love cats. Maybe when/if I travel less or find someone who would care for the cats when I'm away.

I do foster care (as well as having my own resident cats). At the moment Im herding a total of 13.

• Like 2

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

SO MY FULL CHALLENGE IS POSTED!!! (Read first post.)

Read and weep. Weep for me. ;_;

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

Enjoy your time with your friend and your self-care. Look forward to reading about your goals next week!

Thanks! I just posted them. *totally not ignoring my friend* :P

3 hours ago, HappyCat said:

I do foster care (as well as having my own resident cats). At the moment Im herding a total of 13.

Fostering is great of you to do! :)

• Like 2

Great to see the challenge goals up! And losing 7 pounds or more in the next four weeks is totally doable. I started in the same weight range; it tends to drop fast when sugar and starchy carbs are cut out. Weight-loss won't stay that fast or effortless, of course, but you should have no trouble getting below the rope course requirement by the deadline.

As a fellow introvert, I wanted to share the following link. It's cute, funny, and one of the best descriptions of introversion I've ever seen: http://www.fastcocreate.com/1683402/your-guide-to-interacting-with-an-introvert

• Like 3

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Woo! Sugar beast!  Love it!  I'm so proud of you of your choices! (Sorry my mom popped out).  You can do this @Dagger 

Cutting out sugar is hard, but you'll find after a few days of cutting out sugar, waking up gets a little easier. When I did the Whole30, I treated everyday like it was my first day.  It got me to day 15 with that thought of "What would I do on my first day"  kept me in the mindset.  After that it was easier just to not want it. 

Good luck to leveling up and getting to the rope challenge!!! 

How was the friend visit by the way? 

• Like 2

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

WOW this is ambitious and fantastic. I'm going to second what @Bookish Badger said - your goal of losing 7 pounds is challenging but doable. When I first started losing weight years ago I was in a similar range (265 pounds) and I think I lost about 10 pounds or maybe a bit more in the first month. I really hope you can get into the range for the ropes course, but even if you can't don't fret because it'll be there next year and you'll have fun at camp either way.

Your wakeup routine sounds maybe a little like torture but at least you have the sunrise lamp, which supposedly makes waking up more gentle - I want one too! And there are definite benefits to a regular wakeup time.

The sugar beast is very mighty, and you are brave to battle it. I'm still working on that myself - we can team up and fight it together.

Oh, and I see you've got more writing slated for this challenge! Good to see :D

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Dagger! Look at you go! I hope you have a blast with your friend the next couple of days and also: you can crush those seven pounds. All you need is Mad-Eye Moody's advice: 

tumblr_m7olteaMop1qf7klco1_500.gif

Best of luck! You know where to come if you need a little pick me up. :)

On 7/16/2016 at 3:34 PM, Dagger said:
  • Cook 1 or more slow-cooked meal per week (3+ times)
  • No sweets with nor after dinner (alteratives: tea, fruit, nothing) (21 days)

I love love slow cooker meals. It really helps me to keep on track because by the time i get home from work, all my energy is sapped and it takes Herculean effort for me not to eat everything in the house. Having dinner already made thanks for a crock pot is perfect. Let me know what recipes you're gonna do! It sounds like you have NF academy, yes? the pulled pork one is really good! I also have a small arsenal of slow cooker recipes too if you need any. :)

The sugar beast is an admirable foe! You are brave and you're gonna vanquish that sucker! Gum might help also, but I guess there's some sugar in that too... Maybe sugar-free gum? I dunno. It's what's been helping me in my personal battle. 

• Like 1

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

First let me say I've had a few wonderful days with my friend. We've done yoga every day since Tuesday (so three days). We've hiked/walked every day. We took a fun lake dinner cruise where I only felt a bit of seasickness (I had totally forgotten I get that...). We cooked a LOT of great food. I now have loads of pulled pork in the freezer, some lasagna, and some salmon. I also have some sweets in my freezer. Lets hope I can mostly ignore that and just use it to ply my neighbors (to get to know them) and my family with it.

On 20 Jul 2016 at 3:09 PM, Bookish Badger said:

Great to see the challenge goals up! And losing 7 pounds or more in the next four weeks is totally doable. I started in the same weight range; it tends to drop fast when sugar and starchy carbs are cut out. Weight-loss won't stay that fast or effortless, of course, but you should have no trouble getting below the rope course requirement by the deadline.

As a fellow introvert, I wanted to share the following link. It's cute, funny, and one of the best descriptions of introversion I've ever seen: http://www.fastcocreate.com/1683402/your-guide-to-interacting-with-an-introvert

Interestingly enough I haven't had as much carbs (more specific, I've had no pasta for three days) for the last few days and if my scale can be believed I've already lost some weight, but I can't tell how much because it fluctuates so much right now.

I love the comic. I've saved it away so I can give that link to people who wonder.

On 20 Jul 2016 at 4:34 PM, Butternut said:

Woo! Sugar beast!  Love it!  I'm so proud of you of your choices! (Sorry my mom popped out).  You can do this @Dagger 

Thanks! And thanks, Mom! ;)

On 20 Jul 2016 at 4:34 PM, Butternut said:

Cutting out sugar is hard, but you'll find after a few days of cutting out sugar, waking up gets a little easier. When I did the Whole30, I treated everyday like it was my first day.  It got me to day 15 with that thought of "What would I do on my first day"  kept me in the mindset.  After that it was easier just to not want it. 

Good luck to leveling up and getting to the rope challenge!!! 

That is a great way to think of it, as if it is the first day every day. And also to think of it in isolation. I'll have to remember that fully until Monday! I'm already starting some goals or touching on them to get used to them, but I'm not serious about it beside to keep the level I've set up from previous challenges/goals.

On 20 Jul 2016 at 10:20 PM, Severine said:

WOW this is ambitious and fantastic. I'm going to second what @Bookish Badger said - your goal of losing 7 pounds is challenging but doable. When I first started losing weight years ago I was in a similar range (265 pounds) and I think I lost about 10 pounds or maybe a bit more in the first month. I really hope you can get into the range for the ropes course, but even if you can't don't fret because it'll be there next year and you'll have fun at camp either way.

I'm definitely working to keep my expectations managed. And to get into the right mindset. First I'm just focusing on these first three weeks. Of course, I'll need to continue after that!

Your wakeup routine sounds maybe a little like torture but at least you have the sunrise lamp, which supposedly makes waking up more gentle - I want one too! And there are definite benefits to a regular wakeup time.

Oh yeah, I don't think I've woken out of a deep sleep since I started using it, even if it hasn't managed to wake me before the wake up sound comes on (after 30 minutes of the lamp making a sun rise). It'll come and certainly be helped by a regular wake up time.

I do the earlier wake up time by shock because otherwise I don't get the bedtime right for a long, long, loooooong time so I'd suffer from completely irregular bedtime.

The sugar beast is very mighty, and you are brave to battle it. I'm still working on that myself - we can team up and fight it together.

Oh, and I see you've got more writing slated for this challenge! Good to see :D

I could definitely use a comrade in arm when it comes to the Sugar Beast. I don't want to even mention of many sweet things I tend to eat in a day. Although today turned into a surprisingly low day, yay!

And yush, more writing! I hope I can keep with it despite the rest of my epic challenge.

5 hours ago, durfette said:

Dagger! Look at you go! I hope you have a blast with your friend the next couple of days and also: you can crush those seven pounds. All you need is Mad-Eye Moody's advice: 

tumblr_m7olteaMop1qf7klco1_500.gif

Best of luck! You know where to come if you need a little pick me up. :)

First pick me up received and appreciated. :)

I love love slow cooker meals. It really helps me to keep on track because by the time i get home from work, all my energy is sapped and it takes Herculean effort for me not to eat everything in the house. Having dinner already made thanks for a crock pot is perfect. Let me know what recipes you're gonna do! It sounds like you have NF academy, yes? the pulled pork one is really good! I also have a small arsenal of slow cooker recipes too if you need any. :)

I actually did pulled pork this week. A recipe my friend does and it was good. I'll also probably try the NFA one, sometime when I've finished the leftovers in the freezer!

And I might just ply you for some interesting slow cooker recipes. I think I have one picked out for next week, or I thought I had but I can't remember it currently... So maybe next week already!

The sugar beast is an admirable foe! You are brave and you're gonna vanquish that sucker! Gum might help also, but I guess there's some sugar in that too... Maybe sugar-free gum? I dunno. It's what's been helping me in my personal battle. 

If nothing else the sugar in a gum is probably a lot less than anything else sugary I would eat. What I probably most need to do is to make iced tea so I can have tea even when it is freaking hot. Tea can kill my sugar cravings well if I let it, especially some of my favorite fruity teas.

41 minutes ago, Grymm said:

This is what Google gave me for sugarbeast:

sugar_beast_by_hawanja-d377o3z.jpg

I think you can take him. 

How did Google know I have a fear of octopi? Did the Sugar Beast need to have tentacles? I'm so going to beat him. Now I have an image to go with the words.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dagger said:

We've done yoga every day since Tuesday (so three days). We've hiked/walked every day. We took a fun lake dinner cruise where I only felt a bit of seasickness (I had totally forgotten I get that...). We cooked a LOT of great food.

This sounds SO lovely.

Also, that sugar beast should be some kind of sick NF mascot. Ugh.

• Like 1

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

3 minutes ago, Traxex said:

Also, that sugar beast should be some kind of sick NF mascot. Ugh.

As in actually sick, that would be totally funny and probably accurate. XD

If I hope to beat the sugar beast until it is like a small fly—irritating but ultimately harmless. Aka I sometimes eat sugar, but rarely and hopefully not due to cravings.

• Like 2

That sugar beast is hilarious!

I'm so glad you've had a great visit with your friend.

Regarding weight loss after cutting sugar and simple carbs: in my most recent iteration, I'd been foolishly trying to outrun my fork by working out pretty much every day. Not a budge to my weight; except in the wrong direction (I'd been 'rewarding' myself, dont'cha know?) So finally, I bit the bullet at about the same time I started lurking around NF and went back to my tried-&-true Keto plan.

Within 48 hours, I'd lost 3 pounds. And it stayed off! Yes, it was all water weight, but so what? It's not good to carry around a lot of water that you don't need. Hello, ankles! It's been a while since we saw each other!

Anyway, yes, I believe that you dropped a few pounds right away and that it wasn't some weird coincidence of fluctuation.

Keep it up and you'll slay that rope course!

• Like 2

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin