Dagger Paints Her Home Base

Dagger

On 29 Jul 2016 at 1:36 AM, Bookish Badger said:

You are ok, Dagger. I feel this way sometimes (often) too. I have this whole list of things I need to do - chores - and a whole other list of things I want to do - read, journal, sketch, lay in the sun (Vitamin D, y'all!), etc., and everything just feels like too much work. Even watching something from my Netflix queue, stuff I intentionally picked because I want to watch it, seems like more trouble than it's worth. I mean, seriously, watching tv takes too much effort? Don't know what causes it, or how to fix it, but please know that you aren't alone.

Thanks. :)

I skim the stats because I find the details more interesting.

I confess to this too. ^^

Regarding transitioning to a standing desk, I found this link:

http://www.treehugger.com/health/5-tips-transitioning-standing-desk.html

Also, found this one which I included because it struck me funny:

http://qz.com/272350/theres-a-huge-hidden-downside-to-standing-desks-that-no-one-told-me-about-2/

My takeaway was that standing may be overall healthier than sitting, but too much of anything is too much. We still need movement - walking, fidgeting, dancing a jig, whatever, and not just replacing one completely stationary posture with another.

Thanks for the links. I couldn't stand completely still if I wanted to. Right now I'm digging a little by bending my knees to get a bounce in my body in time to the music playing.

On 29 Jul 2016 at 1:41 AM, fleaball said:

Hugs! I've had days like that for absolutely no reason. I hope you're feeling better tomorrow. 

I do! :D Or did I should say. :)

On 29 Jul 2016 at 4:20 PM, PollyannaAgain said:

Sometimes I feel like this kind of funk is worse than the blahs. :( I hope it goes away soon! (PS--Yay! Scrivener! :)

I have to agree with that. Feeling nothing is really scary. Part of my mind was actually acknowledging this by suggestion that I should be really bored if I just lay on the couch which was the only thing I could think to do, although I could probably just have laid on the couch and not been bored. Still glad part of my mind saw the danger in it though.

~*~*~*~*~*~

First, I felt much better yesterday already. I spent most of the day away from home, and when I came home I felt more like chilling a little with a game and then sleep, so that is what I did.

Anyway, on to the update for July 29.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Day 6 of 22 push ups to raise awareness for the 22 U.S. Soldiers that, on average, commit suicide each day.

~*~*~*~*~*~

July 29 (yesterday)

Exercise

Morning walk: 5/5 week 1, 5/15+ total

7000+ steps: 5/21 total

Hike a trail: 0/1 week 1, 0/3 total

Yoga: 1/2 week 1, 1/6+ total

22 push ups: 6/22

Extra Credit: Yoga right after morning walk: 0 times.

Nutrition

Cook slow-cooked meal: 0/1 week 1, 0/3+ total

No sweets with/after dinner: 5/21

No food after 22:00: 5/21

NFA quest: Defeat the Sugar Beast Level 1: 2/5 total

Food journal every day: 5/21

Level Up Your Life

Get up between 7:00-7:30: 5/21

Write 600 words per week: 0/600 week 1, 0/1800 total

NFA quest: Warm It Up (create a warm up with NFA help): DONE

NFA quest: Cool It Down (create a cool down with NFA help): 

NFA quest: Complete Your First Workout (do Bodyweight 1A):

~*~*~*~*~*~

I'm starting to recognize a pattern. Every other day I get up in time and every other day from that I don't. Next week I'll have to be strict about getting up and not just count getting up to turn off the alarm...

Basically I went back to sleep. Got up after a time, took a walk pretty soon after waking up (I think, but I'm not sure because day late with update).

Then lunch and then off to visit my parents with a side trip to buy hiking boots because in later August I'm going on hiking trip! I got a pair of Meindl Island Lady LETTER-COMBO-OF-SOMETHING. They were comfy and the only boot the shop had (lucky me!).

I spent most of the afternoon and part of the evening with my parents before driving home and doing the aforementioned gaming and then sleep.

• Like 4

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

16 hours ago, Aeri-sand said:

ajokewinks_130301_0432_44.png 

Soooo cute! :D

~*~*~*~*~*~

Forgot to do push ups. Oops. If I do double one day (as in 44) I can count it as two days.

~*~*~*~*~*~

July 30 (yesterday)

Exercise

7000+ steps: 6/21 total

Hike a trail: 0/1 week 1, 0/3 total

Nutrition

Cook slow-cooked meal: 0/1 week 1, 0/3+ total

No sweets with/after dinner: 6/21

No food after 22:00: 6/21

Food journal every day: 6/21

Level Up Your Life

Get up between 7:00-7:30: 6/21

Write 600 words per week: 0/600 week 1, 0/1800 total

~*~*~*~*~*~

I was lazy with waking up again. Surprise, surprise!

Actually it turned into a very lazy day. I guess because social day before?

So I didn't do anything. Instead I left yoga, hiking, slow cooker meal and writing for Sunday.

I'm guessing I'll need to take Monday off after that!

The most important thing of the day was that I weighted myself in the morning and was down to 114 kg (114.5 kg this morning so definitely some of water weight loss). So I am down 2.3 kg! :D (or 1.8 kg)

So I am now 251.3#. So close! And if I continue this way I will definitely be below 250 well before camp. :D

• Like 5

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Fantastic weight loss! Good to hear youve gotten past that blank feeling, I tend to go to bed and stay there when imlike hat, which is probably not the most healthy way to deal with it.

• Like 1

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

6 hours ago, HappyCat said:

Fantastic weight loss! Good to hear youve gotten past that blank feeling, I tend to go to bed and stay there when imlike hat, which is probably not the most healthy way to deal with it.

Thanks! Also, I'm not sure there is a healthy way to deal with it, except getting help if it more than temporary.

I've gotten so that these feelings don't typically survive a good night's sleep, which is great. Although I usually have two low days if I'm having down emotions. So the blank feeling was interestingly the second day reaction. (Unless I've gotten my days mixed.)

*~*~*~*~

Forgot to do push ups again. Lies. I ignored it after getting home from my hike.

~*~*~*~*~*~

July 31

Exercise

7000+ steps: 7/21 total

Hike a trail: 1/1 week 1, 1/3 total

Nutrition

Cook slow-cooked meal: 1/1 week 1, 1/3+ total

No sweets with/after dinner: 7/21

No food after 22:00: 7/21

Food journal every day: 7/21

Level Up Your Life

Get up between 7:00-7:30: 7/21

Write 600 words per week: 699/600 week 1, 699/1800 total

~*~*~*~*~*~

Got up in time. Waffled around and skipped morning walk. Started writing, then paused to start Chili con Carne in the slow-cooker, then went back to writing until hitting the goal.

Lunch and then.

Boom! 8 km hike that took just above 2 hours.

I went in my new hiking boots. First they were a little uncomfortable partly because I hadn't tied them tight enough (my fingers cry from getting it right). Then I think I forgot my feet for about an hour. 1.5 hours into the hike my left ankle felt seriously squeezed, so I loosened the ties and it felt better. 5 minutes of more walking, more loosening. 10 minutes of more walking, loosing more.

By that time my feet hurt from being so stiffly held by the boots. But if I didn't tie them that tight, my feet moved around inside them and that was really uncomfortable when going downslope. (This hike was all up and down except for short parts that were flat.)

Not sure why only my left ankle complained. Actually when I was 5 minutes from the car, my right ankle started to complain too, but I had already promised myself I would drive bare foot.

Actually, for the last 20 minutes, I was seriously considering going barefoot, except the small rocks and such would have hurt my feet. I hope this gets better, because otherwise I don't get why I should torture my feet like this. (Well, it is because I haven't used Vibrams long enough to build up all the muscles that have atrophied for my whole life.)

Still, I really liked the hike. At least after I got my feet out of the boots. Got home exhausted and sweaty. Took a shower and decided to skip yoga and push ups.

• Like 3

Week 1 Review

Now it is time to really learn from my successes and failures this week (mostly successes!).

I'll just babble my way through this. I'll try to remember to highlight the more interesting stuff (as if I can guess what you guys will find interesting...).

#1: Mornings

Waking/getting up between 7:00-7:30. 3 times I actually got all the way up, instead of just changing the alarm and going back to sleep (one day I even turned off all alarms so I'd just get sleep). This is both better and worse than I thought it would be. I actually did get up. I did however decide to go back to sleep too many days for my taste. Mainly because I have not gone to bed early enough. I'm getting there with the earlier bed time though.

Morning walk. I've definitely been completely lenient on the time I get to the walk this week. For week 2 of my challenge (week 3 of most everyone else's), I plan to tighten the time between getting up and getting outside. The only true exception is to wait and see if it stops raining, with one hour as the max time to wait.

So basically my morning needs to get tighter. More staying up the right time and faster to taking a walk.

#2: Exercise.

Walking 7000 steps is no problem.

Yoga... hmmm... I did miss one here. I only did yoga once this week. The only saving grace is that I did it for double the amount of time I usually do (1 hour instead of 30 minutes). Yoga was missed due to poor mood not quite coinciding with social engagements, so I lost two days (one to bad mood, one to social recovery). I didn't do enough on other days to compensate. Still, pretty happy with myself. I did yoga three times the week before. I will try to make up the yoga I missed, but I won't strain myself to do it.

Hiking went well. However, much more than 8 km might not be feasible. I think I have a plan for next week. To visit a nature/national park not too far away. I might even go on the day I can pay a small sum to make an owl (although I think that is for kids... Do I care enough?) or I'll go when I can get a tour and learn about trees. Either case I'll walk around there.

Push ups have been wall push ups, although I expect they are getting too easy. I've missed two days in a row now, but they are kinda outside my actual challenge and more for the charity/awareness thing. So go do 22 push ups for 22 days for the 22 suicides on average that US soldiers commit. There is something clearly wrong.

#3: Nutrition/food stuff

Food journaling has been... alright? Have I eaten better because of it? I don't know. Have it been easier to stick to my reduced sweets plan due to it? I don't know. I guess I'll just keep doing it.

Slow cooker: Chili con Carne turned out well. I had a little too much cayenne in it (slightly more than the recipe called for because hard to hit measuring thingy), but I solved that by having some creme fraiche in it. I also had to add some beef stock because I wanted more meat taste and salt (I was supposed to salt and pepper after done, I added beef stock instead). Here is the recipe for anyone who is interested: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Classic-Chili-con-Carne-1053741

No sweets with/after dinner has been going fine. I haven't even really had cravings. I have some lime juice in water with some dinners (especially early in the week) and now I often forget even though I haz limes! Otherwise I've also used tea.

No food after 22:00 have been a breeze because I've been eating dinner at good times and because I want to sleep so much earlier.

Twice I have felt sugar cravings that I've killed with either fruit, tea and/or water with lime. Interestingly enough I haven't had much sugar cravings even though I still allow sweets before dinner. I often have some in the afternoon although way less than usual (score!).

#4: Writing

I should probably have hit the writing earlier, but who cares? I got it done! :D And I had fun.

#5: NFA quest

Did fine on this. Next week I'll work on cool down.

~*~*~*~*~*~

For anyone that followed my previous challenge, they will have noticed I took on a lot more than before. Or if it wasn't obvious (more of the tasks require actual thought from me), then you know now!

I'm seriously pleased I managed so much and that I pulled it together today on the last day of week 1 and did three important goals/tasks.

So now I need to tighten up mornings. Plan and execute a little better. Otherwise I should just continue as I have because I got stuff done and I lost weight! :D

• Like 7

Way to go!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

You are doing fantastically!! That hike, im jealous. Youve got me trying to figure out where i can shoe horn one into my schedule.

• Like 1

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

On 1 Aug 2016 at 1:10 AM, Aeri-sand said:

You're doing great, good job on Week 1! :) 

On 1 Aug 2016 at 1:30 AM, fleaball said:

Way to go!

On 1 Aug 2016 at 11:13 PM, PollyannaAgain said:

What a great week! Congrats!

On 3 Aug 2016 at 2:48 PM, HappyCat said:

You are doing fantastically!! That hike, im jealous. Youve got me trying to figure out where i can shoe horn one into my schedule.

Thanks everyone.

I've fallen off posting some if any of you noticed. This was very intentional because the day after I posted how well my first week went my mind went: "We're doing it wrong."

I have more to say, but I actually wrote updates every day, I just didn't post them because the changes I wanted to make felt to fragile to share before I started them. Now I've done them for five days. So I'm posting them below.

I plan to read through them as I add them, so maybe this time I'll remember to bold the important parts and/or the parts I want comments on. I'll only do one stat update, because otherwise it'll just be too much.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The goals I have done a strike through, have disappeared as an obligatory goal. Those in parentheses I will most likely hit even though they aren't obligatory anymore just because they do a lot for my other goals.

Exercise

Morning walk: 5/5 week 2, 10/15+ total

7000+ steps: 11/21 total (or 12 if I don't post this until end of day, but I might forget to update this)

Hike a trail: 0/1 week 2, 1/3 total

Yoga: 0/2 week 2, 1/6+ total

22 push ups: 9/22 (some missed days)

Nutrition

(Cook slow-cooked meal: 0/1 week 2, 1/3+ total)

No sweets with/after dinner: 11/21 (or 12 if I don't post this until end of day, but I might forget to update this)

No food after 22:00: 11/21 (or 12 if I don't post this until end of day, but I might forget to update this)

NFA quest: Defeat the Sugar Beast Level 1: 5/5 total — DONE

Food journal every day: 11/21 (or 12 if I don't post this until end of day, but I might forget to update this)

Level Up Your Life

Get up between 7:00-7:30: 12/21

Write 600 words per week: 1978/600 week 2, 2677/1800 total — Obvious what I've changed...?

(NFA quest: Cool It Down (create a cool down with NFA help):)

~*~*~*~*~*~

August 1 update

Today started great. I got up in time. Took the walk one hour after waking up. Wrote my words before lunch.

Then I don't know what happened except that nothing else did. I lost all motivation and I don't know why.

Later that day NF updated with a new post (or I got the email for it). A success story! I can read for motivation.

So I read it and cried. Not a bad cry; not a good cry.

It wasn't jealousy either.

It is hard to describe. It was more that her solution of eating right and doing something active every day was so simple.

So beautiful.

While I'm doing this convoluted and hard challenge with so many moving parts.

The plan is obviously working if you look at my weight loss and maybe tomorrow I will feel fine.

Today I feel like throwing out my goals. To hell with them and go a different route.

In the evening, I went for a walk to finished my steps (did my push ups first) and stopped by the local school since they have a basket swing. I don't know what else to call it, like this (apparently in Swedish it is called a bird nest swing):

barngunga2.jpg .

I laid down in it and swung to my heart's content while wondering why I felt such despair at goals that was working and that I was following.

I think I have to change my plan and I have a new one.

Wake up 7-7:30. Morning walk. (Yoga?) Write (as in every day). Lunch. Whatever. No sweets after/with dinner. No food after 22:00. Before day ends: get to 7000 steps. Sometime during the day: the push ups. Throughout day: food journal.

During "whatever" time I would run errands, do household chores, go for a hike(?), yoga, whatever I feel like or whatever I need. No obligation.

~*~*~*~*~*~

August 2 Update
I wanted to start by explaining more what happened yesterday. Three times in my life I remember that has happened. Although this is the first time I caught it on the first day, instead of figuring it out at the end of two weeks. (Unless I am mistaken about what happened and my mind just said no more. But I still feel like my new direction is the correct choice.)

All three other times have happened when I was going to three different university/college programs. Each time I had started to feel uncomfortable with the direction I was going. Then boom!

I’d be completely knocked off track. Feel almost disoriented (mentally) and struggling to figure out why my mind had suddenly turned against me. I can’t really express how it feels, the words I’ve used so far is inadequate.

It is a feeling of knowing something is wrong, but not what. And then spending two weeks trying to figure it out, and all three times it meant I had to change uni/college because I’d chosen the wrong direction.

Some people in my life have wondered or their glances have wondered why I didn’t tough it out. We all have moments of doubts, yes?

But this is more than that. This a complete refusal of my mind to stay on the track; my mind has decided the current plan is wrong. It is like seeing a bend in the road and your arms refuse to turn because if you continue straight you’ll find a better path and that better path is life saving. Or I should say sanity saving.

So I had a moment of crisis yesterday. And I still can’t believe I caught it on the first day. Or maybe I caught it because the solution got handed to me before I’d gotten to the point of my mind refusing to take the next bend in the road. (It was the NF blog post linked above that told me the solution.)

The solution is simple: change should be simple.

I’ve been making my changes more and more complex. Adding in stuff because I know I need it (hiking), even if it is fun I’m not there yet. And I can see that.

Simple is focusing on structuring my day. Wake up times. Meal times (previous challenge). Rules around eating. Morning walk.

Writing. Dang it.

Writing is the whole reason for everything.

I think I’ve shared my Big Why before in the forum… maybe anyway (first challenge maybe?). I’m not going to go look on the paper I have it written down on. It is good, don’t get me wrong.

But right now, I’m remembering something else. And maybe this is sabotaging myself… (Will get back to this thought.)

Those three times in college/uni I talked about? While they were about changing education/programs, they were also about getting to writing.

Writing is what I want to do. It is what I do. So I changed programs because of writing in the end.

So writing should be a pretty dang important part of my challenge, no?

The only reason it wasn’t first was because I had to build some foundation to stand on, to work from.

Anyway, sabotaging myself. Some might have seen my uni-hopping as sabotaging myself and if I look at the results from the first week of this challenge, it would seem that changing it up would be a mistake.

Gosh, just writing that makes my chest feel tight. Like “Are we really going to go back to that?”

How is it that I could be unhappy with what I was doing without feeling the unhappiness? Or maybe it is that nowadays, I can actually do something like that for a week but if I continued pushing that is when I’d know I got it wrong?

In any case, it doesn’t matter. I trust my instinct, my subconscious. If I start crying with relief because I see someone has an easier solution than I had. That is a pretty darn good sign in my book. (Yes, I just realized the tears was of relief.)

I thought I could tough it out for three weeks. And perhaps I could, but you know what?

I don’t want to. And while more walking and more yoga right now would make my hiking trip more pleasant in three weeks... *shrugs*

Yes. And I might regret it when I’m there, but I’m making this decision for my happiness and my writing. Both of which are more important to me.

So what about the day?

Up in time.
2 hour later I did morning walk.
Writing a little after lunch (got derailed by new quests in the NF academy)

Evening walk to get 7000 steps.

Push ups.

Food log, no sweets after dinner, no food after 22.

Oh, and yesterday I did a lot of household chores actually.

~*~*~*~*~*~

August 3 Update

I was so tempted to go back to bed today. But I didn’t which was a huge win.

The morning walk was late. I did nap in the afternoon (I only got about 5 hours sleep since I was up late, silly me).

I also wrote again, like I’ve done for the last three days.

I really feel like I made the right choice. I’m sticking to my stuff. I’m doing a few extra things during my days. Not every day, but enough that I feel good.

Today my morning walk was to the grocery store 20 minutes away on foot. There I bought everything for the slow cooker meal I meant to do this week, so it’ll happen although it isn’t a requirement anymore.

I wonder what I will do with the left over celery. I’m not a fan and I’m not a hater. But just putting it in a salad can be a little too much celery. And using it as just a snack is completely out. Anyone got ideas?

I’m trying to remember if there was anything specific I wanted to discuss today, but I think yesterday and the day before that updates went over my thinking pretty well.

I got a letter about the hiking trip today. Apparently there are day trips planned to nearby towns/cities (I think it was towns and I’m too lazy to check right now). I guess if I go on those it will be two less days of walking in the mountains, which is fine and more sightseeing is fun.

I also did the push ups. Yesterday I started doing them against the kitchen counter instead of the wall. They are so much harder now and my core shakes so I guess I need more of those muscles now. :3

Peace out!

~*~*~*~*~*~

August 4 Update
Not much to say today except this was one of my hardest days so far on my new simplified challenge.

Got up in time. Late morning walk.

Writing in the late afternoon.

Very late evening walk to get steps.

I should have napped but didn’t realize that until 17:00 which was when I went to write.

No push ups.

~*~*~*~*~*~

August 5 Update

I'm actually feeling almost restless, which I see as a good sign. It means my body have noticed the difference in activity and maybe I can start adding in the yoga. But for that to truly happen, I need to get to the writing before lunch. Or it would be a whole lot simpler then.

Even before this challenge I had started thinking that fixing my mornings was the most important part. If I get it where I want it: wake up, morning walk, morning yoga, shower, (breakfast), writing. If I do all that before lunch, any day would a success. That is what this new-ish challenge is about.

First I need to corral my morning walk and my writing. Morning walk to right after waking up, writing to before lunch. Yoga might start happening in the next few days, or it might not. Might start happening in the afternoon first. Whatever works.

~*~*~*~*~*~

TL;DR: Sorry for the long post. But read it to follow my thoughts, or just look at the stats to figure out what has changed. ;) :3

• Like 4

I want one of those basket swings! 

If you feel that re-evaluating your challenges mid-stream is the right thing to do - do it! It is YOUR challenge, that YOU are doing for YOURSELF. The 4-week framework is just that - a framework to work on building new habits.... but if those habits are not serving you right now, why keep trying to build them? Absolutely throw them out! There are no bonus points for tormenting yourself for extra weeks just to prove you can. 

You keep doing you, and keep rocking it!

• Like 2

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

It's really easy to get caught up in DO ALL THE THINGS mode. Good for you for taking stock of where you are and adjusting your challenge. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

45 minutes ago, fleaball said:

It's really easy to get caught up in DO ALL THE THINGS mode.

truer words....

5 hours ago, Dagger said:

I'm actually feeling almost restless, which I see as a good sign. It means my body have noticed the difference in activity and maybe I can start adding in the yoga.

I get so irritated with myself when I feel like this. I dunno why.

• Like 1

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

20 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

I want one of those basket swings! 

Me too! Especially considering my hips are too wide for normal swings... Maybe some day. For now, I'll steal into the school yard late at night. (It being summer there is no classes so more deserted, yay!)

20 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

If you feel that re-evaluating your challenges mid-stream is the right thing to do - do it! It is YOUR challenge, that YOU are doing for YOURSELF. The 4-week framework is just that - a framework to work on building new habits.... but if those habits are not serving you right now, why keep trying to build them? Absolutely throw them out! There are no bonus points for tormenting yourself for extra weeks just to prove you can. 

You keep doing you, and keep rocking it!

Thanks! It just felt so stupid to throw out something that was working. Of course, I got confirmation that stuff are still preceding the the right direction. *see below*

19 hours ago, fleaball said:

It's really easy to get caught up in DO ALL THE THINGS mode. Good for you for taking stock of where you are and adjusting your challenge. 

doallthethings-300x225.jpeg

is hard to resist.

You guys makes me think maybe I'm not crazy.

18 hours ago, Traxex said:

I get so irritated with myself when I feel like this. I dunno why.

If I don't manage to deal with this slight restlessness I'm pretty sure I'll get there too. But right now, I'm managing it without doing anything... *happy grin?*

5 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

@Dagger, you've paired down your to-do list to better meet your goals. Sounds like a good strategy to me!

Thanks! I really appreciate this. You always seems to together, so if you approve I must be doing something right. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~

Weekly scale checking: 112.8 kg!!! aka 248,7#

I am below the rope course maximum for NF camp. :D

Now I just have to continue with what I'm already doing. As @AugustaAdaByron in chat, my reduction of sweets is probably the thing creating a calorie deficit. I should have realized that... I guess.

When she mentioned that I went: "Huh, that is true, I haven't replaced the sweets with another snack, mostly I've just snacking as much."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Exercise

Morning walk: 6/5 week 2, 11/15+ total

7000+ steps: 13/21 total

22 push ups: 9/22 (ignored/forgotten)

Nutrition

(Cook slow-cooked meal: 1/1 week 2, 2/3+ total)

No sweets with/after dinner: 13/21

No food after 22:00: 13/21

NFA quest: Defeat the Sugar Beast Level 1: 5/5 total — DONE

Food journal every day: 13/21

Level Up Your Life

Get up between 7:00-7:30: 13/21

Write 600 words per week: 2379/600 week 2, 3'078/1800 total

~*~*~*~*~*~

Up in time. Went for the walk about an hour after waking (yay, better than in a while!). Wrote before lunch!

Those three things meant I had basically made a perfect day in my eyes. That is what I am aiming for right now. Earlier morning walk and writing before lunch. So far I haven't had trouble with food journaling or the food and sweets rules.

Took a nap right before lunch. Thought maybe I'd do yoga today, but avoided it by reading fiction. Haha, typical me.

But I laid out the yoga mat, so maybe that can lure me to do it tomorrow?

Oh, I also did a slow cook meal today. A meat stew that I started having doubts about it. (It should probably had a colorful vegetable in it like a bell pepper, because it looked so the same.) But it turned out to be really good. Next time lets have a bell pepper in it too, eh?

Not much more to add today except for thanks guys. I really felt like an idiot for changing a working plan even though I know we should do what we want to to get where we want to go. <3 you.

• Like 4

Just because something works doesn't always mean it's the best option. You always have room to play around with things. <3

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

~*~*~*~*~*~

This will get long, because I'll do some daily updates, before making the Week 2 review.

Sunday, July August 7, Update

Late update.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Exercise

7000+ steps: 14/21 total

Nutrition

Cook slow-cooked meal: 1/1 week 2, 2/3+ total

No sweets with/after dinner: 14/21

No food after 22:00: 14/21

Food journal every day: 14/21

Level Up Your Life

Get up between 7:00-7:30: 14/21

~*~*~*~*~*~

On Sunday, I got an unexpected visit. It was nice. Still I needed social recovery which I'll get to more below.

I decided to not do any writing. I had written 6/7 days and was more than happy about that. Working entirely on motivation which you will see failed just as Steve predicted in the latest NF blog post. There is a lot of serendipity between what is posted on the blog and what is happening in my life right now.

This was also the day I "skipped" a morning walk. It was so freaking late, I decided not to count it. ^^

Otherwise I don't remember much on Sunday.

~*~*~*~*~*~

July August 8-11 Update

Multi-day update! The stats below is current up until July 11. I will kind of tell what happened on which day.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Exercise

Morning walk: 3/5 week 3, 14/15+ total

7000+ steps: 18/21 total

Nutrition

Cook slow-cooked meal: 1/1 week 3, 3/3+ total

No sweets with/after dinner: 18/21

No food after 22:00: 18/21

Food journal every day: 18/21

Level Up Your Life

Get up between 7:00-7:30: 18/21

Write 600 words per week: 0/600 week 3, 3'078/1800 total

~*~*~*~*~*~

I skipped doing a morning walk one day. I kinda procrastinated and then I was just going to check the forum which I hadn't touched in three days and... I'm sure you can see where that went!

Steps every day, always steps.

I did a slow cooker meal, and the first one not following a recipe but instead just trying something. I learned a lot from it. It was good, but not as good as it would have been if I'd made that food the normal way. On the other hand I didn't have to do much except watch it cook. Trade offs.

And since we are talking about cooking. On Sunday, the last of the sweets I baked with my friend finally was all eaten. So I've baked again and went with a chocolaty thing that turned out good, but not as great as I thought. I tried using some hazelnut flour instead of just wheat flour. More learning from experimenting! I have a lot now and noticed I am more likely to eat a lot of chocolaty sweets than the thing I had before. So, I know I can't do large batches of chocolate things in the future. Instead only bake those for when a guest is coming.

Lessons are being learned!

No sweets after dinner and no food after 22:00 are very easy. Well, I guess I've put off starting dinner twice to have more sweets. Perhaps I need to set a time for the sweets too so I won't do that in the future. Not that it is a problem yet.

Food journaling is happening, but I'm not sure how much it is benefiting me so far. Perhaps it is helping me keep to eating less, but I'm not sure.

Oh another thing. I ate a dinner I haven't had in a while with the amounts that I felt usual before and I thought it was too much. I still didn't change the amount that time, but I know if I eat that in the future I will eat less of it. So cool!

I also ate only half a rice pouch (half of 125 g) instead of a whole one with the slow cooker meal I did. I've always thought half would seem so little, but it was enough!

I love that smaller portions doesn't feel like being depraved but rather it looks and feels right. That means I'm not fighting to make my portions smaller, it is just happening. :D

I'm getting up at 7:30 every day. (Well, one day was 7:45 because I forgot to take my cell phone into my bedroom.) It is easy now. Not as tired.

So no writing so far this week, which is sad, but as I said above it has to do with me working off motivation last week and the start of this week got completely sidetracked. I know what I will do to fix that. I've set a time every morning when I'll start writing and before then I need to get to the morning walk, hopefully I'll corral both habits with this one change. I'm not adding it to the challenge though, right now it is just in the testing stage and will be tested tomorrow (as in Saturday since I'm writing this on Friday).

What I have been focusing on this week is to get to bed at a good time. This is also the reason I have not been on the forum. Before I'd check the forum before lunch and then again late in the evening and that is when I would update too.

The problem is that at the same time I would start doing forum stuff, is now the time I get ready for bed. (Getting ready for bed means switching to reading instead of any other activity. Plus I'm falling asleep earlier too.) So my normal time for the forum disappeared and I didn't change it. I'm still not sure where I will fit in the forum. Perhaps before dinner or as a pause in the afternoon.

What I do know is that consistently posting here helps keep me on the path. Because last week I just didn't update publicly, but I still wrote the updates. This week I haven't even done shadow updating and I think that is why I rested for 3-4 days instead of just two for my social recovery. This shows that the forum is working for me to get more consistent and work harder on my changes.

Haha, for once I remembered to bold some stuff to make it easier to find the big wins. See you later today for Friday update... Maybe? ^^

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dagger said:

I love that smaller portions doesn't feel like being depraved but rather it looks and feels right. That means I'm not fighting to make my portions smaller, it is just happening. :D

This is the best. Right here is where the magic happens. Great job!! 

• Like 1

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

Celery freezes well if you want to use it for soups or crockpot dishes later. We dice celery and onions as a base of sorts for our vegetable soup.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Week 2 Review

Actually, I forgot I also meant to do the week 2 review!!

Here are the stats for the end of week 2:

Exercise

7000+ steps: 14/21 total

Nutrition

Cook slow-cooked meal: 1/1 week 2, 2/3+ total

No sweets with/after dinner: 14/21

No food after 22:00: 14/21

Food journal every day: 14/21

Level Up Your Life

Get up between 7:00-7:30: 14/21

~*~*~*~*~*~

#1: Mornings

I got up at 7:30 every day without fail (as far as I can remember). No give.

Morning walks weren't always that close to wake up time, but some where closer if I remember correctly.

#2: Exercise.

Walking 7000 steps is no problem.

The other stuff is no more. I even more or less gave up on the push ups. They aren't hard, I just forget them since there is no set time to do them. Plus they got really hard when I switched from wall to counter.

#3: Nutrition/food stuff

Food stuff went well since this was the week I got below 250# meaning I will go for the rope course at NF camp (as long as it doesn't rain and is canceled. Send good weather our way).

The slow cooker meal was a meat stew. I think the next time I do that I'll add some more vegetables, but it was good. Better than it looked actually. It all just had one color, one of the reasons I want to add veggies beyond the onion that is in it. The recipe was Swedish and in the instruction manual for my Crock-pot, so I have no link, sorry.

#4: Writing

So much writing! So much fun! It is almost like reading in fun.

~*~*~*~*~*~

So a very different week from how I planned the challenge first, but no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

As I have mentioned in some updates (also in my battle log where I just did a review of July!), I had come to realize that my morning routine and my writing are the two most important pieces I want to work on right now. And the nutrition which I am doing well with so far.

Anyway, this is all for this belated Week 2 review.

• Like 1

On 6 Aug 2016 at 10:40 PM, fleaball said:

Just because something works doesn't always mean it's the best option. You always have room to play around with things. <3

So much wisdom. *soaks it in*

On 7 Aug 2016 at 2:49 AM, Rebel_Timelord said:

tumblr_inline_nlaaog7umv1rqkg6n.gif

Great gif!

On 11 Aug 2016 at 0:59 AM, Bookish Badger said:

WOOHOO!! THAT IS AWESOME! You are going to have such a great time!

Thank you! I am so excited. To help with motivation, I put a post it note on my bedroom door that said "NF Camp. ROPE COURSE!!!" or similar. :D

1 hour ago, Vibrantella said:

Great challenge and well done on the weight loss!  BTW it is August... ;)  Oh, another introvert who loves a nice basket swing here :) 

Thanks.

Oops. *goes and fix the month* It probably is because right before writing that I did my very late July review on my battle log... :P

Basket swing is a good term for it too. Although bird nest swing is a kind of fun name (direct translated Swedish for it). I use them to think since I can't use normal swings.

1 hour ago, Traxex said:

This is the best. Right here is where the magic happens. Great job!! 

Thanks! At lunch today I looked at my now normal amount of pasta (2 dl) and thought "maybe I can lower that again". Before I'd have 3+ dl of pasta. Progress! Especially since I'm also snacking less and all kinds of goodness.

It is like after I stopped gorging my body, it started telling me how much it is enough.

48 minutes ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Celery freezes well if you want to use it for soups or crockpot dishes later. We dice celery and onions as a base of sorts for our vegetable soup.

Keep up the good work!

Ah good idea! Thanks! I'll dice my celery later and freeze it. Soups are always welcome in autumn and winter so I can use it then!

• Like 2