Crawling Onward

durfette

CHALLENGE II

Hello. My name is Becca. Welcome to my second challenge.

My first challenge was about "baby steps," and this one is about "crawling,"

because my "baby steps" weren't quite small enough for where I was.

My new goals have been calibrated to better fit my current default.  

I struggle with binge eating, sugar intake, and anxiety.

I'm generally good at working out though.

I love running, but have a foot injury that's still healing so I have to walk.

I have aspirations to be a Ranger, but time will tell.

I also love yoga, hiking, reading, and watching stupid movies with my husband.

No kids yet, but want to be healthy for dem bay-bays. 

Speaking of dem.....

Dem Goals

Diet:

• Meal plan every week (10 points / week)
    • veggie packets
    • protein planned out for lunches
    • healthy snacks for work
    • possibly quick breakfast options
  • No sugar at work (1 point / day)
  • No second helpings (1 point ea / day)

Total possible: 88 points

>60 points loot: cast iron skillet!

Fitness: 

• NF Gym level 3-4 3x weekly (3 points / workout)

Total possible: 36 points

>24 points loot: new piece of workout clothing!

Life: 

• Scripture study from 7-7:15 am every morning (1 point / day)
  • Write down daily mantras every morning (1 point / day)

Total possible: 56 points

>37 points loot: something that smells nice! car freshener, candle, plugin, etc... somethin. 

Let us embark on this rocky path together! 

A4HCrFVdbxZpS.gif

• Like 4

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

Fantastic goals! Meal planning and pre preparing make sticking to healthy foods SOOOO much easier.

• Like 1

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Great Goals! You got this! 

Meal planning is is a great step towards hitting your target. 

Also journaling your food intake / physical output is a great motivator and keeps you accountable. It also highlights any areas that need attention or bad habits that you can avoid the next day. I bought a nice looking journal and use it for everything related to this goal. Food ideas, daily food consumption, weights and fitness monitoring, recipe ideas, thoughts, struggles, and setting new goals. It doesn't work for everyone, but it's helped me a lot. 

Good Luck! 

• Like 1

Great goals - they sound like good stepping-stones to keep yourself moving forward!  :-)  Following!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Ya for stupid movies!!  That's all my husband and I watch, Hot Shots, Top Secret, Hot Rod, etc. I could go on, do you have ant favorites?

Your goals sound great by the way! 

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

For movies, can I strongly recommend Red and Red 2? You haven't lived until you've seen Helen Mirren play an ice cold assassin who's also good at flower arranging.

For some reason, "dem bay-bays" made me laugh out loud :D 

I think your goals sound sensible (especially the part about not trying to run on an injured foot) and also really well balanced. You've covered activity, nutrition, and emotional wellness/anxiety management stuff. Hopefully it'll all reinforce each other!

Also I like your loot system.

• Like 2

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Thanks all! :)

On 7/17/2016 at 8:29 AM, Dukati said:

Also journaling your food intake / physical output is a great motivator and keeps you accountable.

I probably should have mentioned I'm trying to keep up logging food intake. That was one of my goals from my first challenge, and I intend to keep tracking. For now I'm ignoring calories and just being more mindful of what I'm eating. I keep a log on my phone because i have soooo many notebooks for other things. Plus, I'm reeeeally good at making excuses about "well I don't have the notebook with me soo...." 

15 hours ago, Butternut said:

do you have ant favorites?

ooh, those are good ones! Recent favorites are The Burbs, Sharknado (1, 2, AND 3), old 90s shows from our childhood like The Three Musketeers.. basically anything we can find on Netflix! haha! 

• Like 2

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

23 minutes ago, Traxex said:

How many points do you have?

Diet: 12

Fitness: 3

Life: 4!

More details on my battle log. :)

I also wanted to share this article. A huge part of my why is because a.) I want to be able to have children, and that's a major personal struggle for me right now. and b.) I want to raise my children to have a healthy relationship to food and I want an active lifestyle to be an example to them. Part of this article that I liked was how it talks about cooking kale and also a cake with 4 sticks of butter. I want to be unafraid of sweets, because I want to conquer their hold on me. I don't want to be anxious about going to a social gathering, worried about the food options available. I don't want my mind to be constantly thinking about where my next snack or meal is coming from. When I meal plan though, it sometimes feels all consuming. Do any of you have suggestions or ways you change your relationship to food? I'm at a loss. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Previous I

10 hours ago, durfette said:

Diet: 12

Fitness: 3

Life: 4!

Duuuuude. Badass. 12 Diet points... you're head of schedule for your frying pan.

BTW how cool is it that you based your loot on the category? 

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

9 hours ago, durfette said:

I want to be able to have children, and that's a major personal struggle for me right now.

Do any of you have suggestions or ways you change your relationship to food? I'm at a loss. 

On the first of those points, I hear you. My wife and I are going through this at the moment and it's hell. Pure hell.

On the second, there's a great book on that subject called First Bite, by a food writer called Bee Wilson. There's a good summary of it here. It basically looks at how most of our relationship with food is cultural and how most of it is determined by experiences very early in your life. The short version is that eating habits are established very early, are predominantly driven by emotional triggers rather than rational ones, and are very difficult to unlearn, but understanding where your attitudes to food come from gives you the best possible starting point to making that change.

Good luck with all of this. I'll be following.

• Like 2

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

12 hours ago, durfette said:

Do any of you have suggestions or ways you change your relationship to food? I'm at a loss. 

Planning ahead has helped me a great deal. If I know I've eaten well during the week and something comes up on the weekend, I don't worry about it. I also don't say I can't have something anymore, and that has made a huge difference. I suddenly either don't want it, or if I still really want it, I have it with something more in line with my goals--like a cookie or two (depending on the serving size) and a handful of berries (though sometimes a small bowl-full!). I'm starting to prefer my new healthier goodies thanks to the wild change in energy I've seen lately!

If you like reading books on this kind of thing, I ordered Eating Mindfully by Susan Albers for our library a couple of years ago and skimmed through it. If I remember right, the content was broken up into "bite-size" chunks so you could jump to questions or thoughts that mattered more to you. It looks like she's got a whole set out now about the topic. Might be something you could borrow from your library...Kinda wish I'd realized I had a weird relationship with food when I ordered it, I might have paid more attention to the content!

PS--Nice job on those points!

• Like 1

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Thank you @PollyannaAgain and @Myrdinn for the book suggestions. I've never read a food-related book, but I'll see if I can track those down. 

1 hour ago, Myrdinn said:

My wife and I are going through this at the moment

Ugh, I'm so sorry. =/ it really just sucks. 

2 hours ago, Traxex said:

BTW how cool is it that you based your loot on the category? 

They're intended to help me keeping going off the momentum cuz... I burn out or get bored and stop trying. Hopefully these will help! 

1 hour ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Planning ahead has helped me a great deal. If I know I've eaten well during the week and something comes up on the weekend, I don't worry about it.

I've never thought about meal planning as being a reason to show myself grace when things don't go according to plan. I've always just thought of meal planning as restrictive, but you're definitely right. If I'm doing all I can, and surprise meals / visits from friends and family / etc.. comes up, then I can allow myself the grace to not beat myself about it. Thank you! 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Previous I

Hey Durfette, sorry to hear that it's not working right now. 

I heard this podcast on Fat Burning Man with Marc David, you can read it or if you have time listen to it. 

I like what Mrydinn said, I'm going to check that out.

To be honest what's helped me is just knowing it's going to be a constant battle, that kind of food will always be around, ready for when ever you are. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, durfette said:

I want to be unafraid of sweets, because I want to conquer their hold on me. I don't want to be anxious about going to a social gathering, worried about the food options available. I don't want my mind to be constantly thinking about where my next snack or meal is coming from. When I meal plan though, it sometimes feels all consuming. Do any of you have suggestions or ways you change your relationship to food? I'm at a loss. 

This is so familiar to me. Right now, if I don't pay attention to food, I veer back toward eating poorly and eating too much. If I pay attention and track food and make very intentional choices, I can eat healthily in the right amounts and feet sated. But...but I resent having to spend so much time and effort on it. I want it to just be a background process that requires no active concentration. I have no idea how to make that leap, however. Every time I've tried paying less conscious attention, my old habits take over and it's a disaster.

So yeah, no solutions from me, but lots of sympathy. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to make all of this automatic, or maybe I'll have to pay attention to food for the rest of my life. 

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

@Butternut I listened to that podcast! I basically live and breathe podcasts if you have more suggestions, hit me up!

I really enjoyed his individual and intuitive approach. It's interesting how your body responds to stressed eating, and his suggestion to eat when you feel calm after a few breaths was helpful. However, much of what he said felt like it pertained to people who have been able to stick to a specific diet consistently for a few weeks. The host said something like "Stay with a diet until it stops working for you," which isn't super encouraging to someone in my position. 

Thank you for the suggestion! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Previous I

Okay, real talk y'all. I have two questions:

1.) Do you have to feel hungry to lose weight?

For the past few days, I've been practicing really thinking about how hungry I am, and I have several healthy snacks on hand to choose from, and I've been pretty good about that (at least until I get home. see question #2). But when I log my meals, my calorie intake is a couple hundred calories higher than I thought it should be. Is my calorie level on MyFitnessPal too low? Or do I need to get used to being hungry and not freaking out about it?

2.) I feel pretty in control of my food choices when I'm at work. I've brought only healthy options and they've filled me up and I'm really glad! I also keep busy and have blocks from eating badly. But when I get home, I feel ravenous and snack while I'm making dinner. Tomorrow I was going to try having a snack right before I left work and maybe eat it on the carride home to tide me over until dinner. So we'll see about how that works out.

But take today as an example:

I got home around 5:15. 

Start prepping cooking dinner when I get home.

I pick up my husband from his carpool at 6:30-6:50

We don't eat dinner until ~7:10

What are some practices I can incorporate for when things like this happen and I feel hungry and want to wait? Any of you working people out there have any experience with this type of thing? 

I've been asking a lot of questions... but it is what it is. Suggestions welcome! Thanks! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Previous I

On 19/07/2016 at 4:44 AM, durfette said:

5 hours ago, durfette said:

Okay, real talk y'all. I have two questions:

1) You don't need to feel hungry in order to lose weight, you just need a calorie deficit. Since you said you exercise regularly already cutting your calorie intake is probably the easiest way to achieve that. That will probably make you feel hungry in the short term, but picking what you eat carefully will help alleviate that - protein will leave you feeling fuller for longer than sugary carbs, for instance. Drinking plenty of water helps too.

Always try to bear in mind that you're rarely hungry because your body actually needs calories to keep itself going - you can fast safely for at least a couple of days with no ill effects. Generally you'll get hungry at a particular time of day or in a particular situation (e.g. when you're bored) and that's your body's way of saying "hey, you usually eat about now". But your body will adapt pretty quickly to a new routine, so the hunger is a temporary thing.

2) You've answered that question for yourself and your plan is a good one. This is really a learning process - there are no right or wrong answers except the ones that do (and don't) work for you. I often don't eat until fairly late when I get back from the office, and I find that if I'm home alone I end up snacking and if my wife's there the thought never crosses my mind - so I'm basically eating because I'm bored! Often just being aware that you're likely to be hungry and having a plan for how to deal with it can be enough to get you through it.

• Like 3

Level 2 Warlock

6 hours ago, durfette said:

@Butternut I listened to that podcast! I basically live and breathe podcasts if you have more suggestions, hit me up!

I really enjoyed his individual and intuitive approach. It's interesting how your body responds to stressed eating, and his suggestion to eat when you feel calm after a few breaths was helpful. However, much of what he said felt like it pertained to people who have been able to stick to a specific diet consistently for a few weeks. The host said something like "Stay with a diet until it stops working for you," which isn't super encouraging to someone in my position. 

Thank you for the suggestion! 

I love podcasts as well!  If you have any throw them my way!  I love Fat Burning Man and The One You Feed right now.

I think what he meant was sticking with a diet and stop, from what I got out of it, is if its not working for you, find something that DOES.  Paleo is fantastic on paper, so is being a vegan, so is Weight Watchers, but does it work for your situation? Your hormones? Etc.  

Myriddin is right, finding food that keeps you suppressed helps.  I read the The Warrior Diet and this made me feel a lot better about being hungry.  I also tried "controlled fasting" through out the day, but I ended up like you eating everything in sight as the night came.   I can't over eat during the day BUT lately I have been eating breakfast like 2 scrambled eggs with sauted kale.  Something full of fiber, protein and fat (good fat).  This is helping a lot, also I have a salad prepped up, so if I am ravenous, I scurf down a salad.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

. There's a good summary of it here.

This was an awesome read and very fascinating.  Thank you for sharing.  I'm going to the library tomorrow and finding that book.  

My favorite quote was "Children are powerless at the table" we are their peers, their encouragers, their "bosses," we can help them make the right choices. 

On 7/18/2016 at 11:44 PM, durfette said:

I also wanted to share this article. 

Lovely article.  I'm going to take a few things.  

but I also wanted to say, don't be so hard on yourself.  You'll find when you have a living creature inside of you, you'll automatically do better.  Then when you have children, you want to be better no matter what. That is the beauty of having children, you can change their future by your actions.  

Your setting yourself up for success Durfette.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Butternut said:

don't be so hard on yourself. Your setting yourself up for success Durfette.  

This x 100.

You know the old adage about kids who have nightmares about exam day doing better in the real exam? This applies to everything. People who worry about this stuff are people who care. And if you care enough then one day you'll get there. You're doing great.

• Like 4

Level 2 Warlock

9 hours ago, durfette said:

1.) Do you have to feel hungry to lose weight?

Have you tried logging how you feel when you eat in addition to what you eat? I used a log like that and found patterns that helped me calm my snacking. When you start, you'll always think you're eating because you're hungry, so you might need to put the glass of water or walk first habits in place to get it to work. I used it to plan my meal and snack times (3 meals and 2 snacks for me to keep the stomach growlies and hangries away!).

High fiber and high protein foods are also very helpful for keeping the munchies at bay.

You can double-check your MFP numbers. If your calories are set to 1200, unless you're very petite, that number is likely too low. This website takes a few stats and estimates your Basal Metabolic Rate (the minimum cals you need just to exist), and then this page explains how to adjust that for your activity levels (I intentionally underestimate these) with two links near the bottom to pages that discuss weight loss and weight gain. I checked mine yesterday and noticed that MFP uses the BMR-500cals option to set calories (for the 1lb/week option anyway!). If you feel like that's too much, you can go with the 15--20% option suggested instead. Just edit your calories in MFP.

Also don't forget to take your activity level into account! I'm hungrier on days I lift, so I try to eat more protein-rich stuff and stay in my calorie limit. That doesn't always work though, so if I go over, I try to go a little under the next day. I find it less daunting to focus on that weekly total--are you still burning X calories and eating X less calories to give you that 3500* calorie deficit? Then you're good! (*3500 cals is for 1lb)

10 hours ago, durfette said:

2.)...Tomorrow I was going to try having a snack right before I left work and maybe eat it on the carride home to tide me over until dinner. So we'll see about how that works out.

I hope it works! This is what helped me make better choices at dinner time. Eating it in the car might work against you though because your focus will be on driving and the next thing you know, you're finished eating, but your stomach is still growling! Do you get any small breaks during your work day? Or maybe you could sit in your car for a few minutes after work and eat before you get on the road? Mindful eating and snacking should be soul mates. :D 

• Like 1

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Thank you all so much for your insights and encouragement! I have this issue with wanting to be perfect, and letting go of that and taking baby steps have been hard. Thank you for your kind words. Looking back in my food log over the past few days, I really have been eating better. I might not be meeting the calorie goals yet, but I am doing better. I'll get there. All your encouragement has been really helpful, and I can tell it's really making a difference this time around. Thank you all so much!

5 hours ago, Butternut said:

I love podcasts as well!

My "home base" for podcasts is Stuff You Should Know. I also enjoy Imaginary Worlds, Myths and Legends, and Invisibilia. I'll start listening to The One You Feed today! I haven't found many podcasts about food especially helpful, so I'm going to give it a go. :) 

Have you tried logging how you feel when you eat in addition to what you eat?

No I haven't. That's a really good idea! 

Or maybe you could sit in your car for a few minutes after work and eat before you get on the road?

THIS. This is briliant. It would also give me a chance to simmer down a bit after work. I usually fly out of work like a bat out of hell and rush around to get things done. I think that couple of minutes of alone time in the car will help with all of that stress and anxiety about getting dinner ready. Thank you! I'll try that today. 

@Butternut I'll have to try that salad thing! I always think of salads for lunch or dinner, but never as a snack. 

6 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

Always try to bear in mind that you're rarely hungry because your body actually needs calories to keep itself going - you can fast safely for at least a couple of days with no ill effects.

6 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

so the hunger is a temporary thing.

Wowza, that hit me hard. I need to remind myself of that when I start feeling "hungry" and be more calm about it. Oftentimes I feel like my brain tells me if I don't eat soon, then I'll binge and overeat, so I need to keep eating small, healthy, filling meals in between.  

I've been having a snack ~2 hours between meals, depending on size of meal and I'm not usually hungry after 7pm if I've eaten dinner.  When I'm packing food for work, I make sure there are 3 healthy options. one for morning snack, one for afternoon, and another just in case. 

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Previous I