• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PinkNinja

An entire Challenge Without Relocation(I hope)

I have a kitchen.  I have a lake.  And I have a, hopefully,  considerable amount of time before I have to worry about moving again.  Time to take advantage of that. 

1. Keto ~ Log food and track macros, come in under 30-35 g of carbs a day, with a calorie goal of 1200-1450. Carbs: 10%, Fat: 75%, Protein: 15%

It worked wonderfully the like 12 days I did it.  I'm all done moving now and am back on it.  Even have lunch and dinner ready to go for the next 3 days,  which is the rest of my work week. I've found lots of low carb recipes that sound really good. I'm a big fan of mashed cauliflower.

2. Bodyweight level 1~ Do A& B once a week. Kayak once a week.

My sister is helping keep me accountable.  We've done A. She did B today,  so I have to do it tomorrow.  Lol It will work well I think.  I'm also going to kayak once a week, if not more.  I also need to find a non swampy(re: gators)  area near here to practice wet reentry. It's been a while since I practiced actual textbook skills in the kayak.

3. Stop the Money Spiral -Restart YNAB, track spending, and investigate debt consolidation.

I got off track at some point it last couple of months.  I need to get back to tracking expenses with YNAB and paying attention to my budget.  I am also looking into consolidating some of these really old credit card bills from college so I can pay less interest. 

I think my biggest help will also be my biggest hurdle.  I am so excited about being here, being happy is giving me lots of energy & motivation at work and home but I need to go home after my 8 hours.  I already caught myself not talking lunch.  I set my watch alarm for noon.  It has solved that problem. 

• Like 2

Nice. You have finally landed. :D

Now that you've landed, you get to build something. Let's see what you do.

• Like 1

Oooooo, lakes.  I wish I had a lake.

The happy is good!  But I hear you about the "I need to eat" part.  I had a message in my google calendar telling me to stop, eat, and decompress a bit mid-workday so I wouldn't go mad.  It worked pretty well, too.  Glad your alarm solved that problem!

21 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Oooooo, lakes.  I wish I had a lake.

The happy is good!  But I hear you about the "I need to eat" part.  I had a message in my google calendar telling me to stop, eat, and decompress a bit mid-workday so I wouldn't go mad.  It worked pretty well, too.  Glad your alarm solved that problem!

Yeah, it didn't.It took only 2 days til I started ignoring it. Alarms only work if you listen to them. I might steal your google calendar idea. But the problem is that when my alarm goes off, I'm caught up in what I'm doing. I just need to be more disciplined to take a break. (that is so backwards..) I also need to remember that days do happen when I can't take a break, so I need to get some keto-friendly or at least keto-ish snacks stocked up in my office. And probably my truck.

I didn't go over on my carbs yesterday. However, I also did not come even near my calorie minimum. My budget wasn't good for this paycheck, so I'm low on groceries and can't go shopping just yet. I get paid Friday. I have plans. :DVisions of philly cheesesteak stuffed mushrooms have been dancing in my head.

• Like 1

I weighed yesterday. I've lost 9.75 lbs this month. I wasn't even able to stick to keto for most of the month. I'm down a hole on my belt, and I can almost get another hole down, but it's uncomfortable.

That's some serious motivation to stick to keto now that I got paid and can buy groceries. I think roasted cauliflower & philly shrooms are in order. :D I also found a recipe for cajun chicken & creamy spaghetti squash pasta that sounds really good. 

I got made a cyborg yesterday. ;) When she put my implant in, the doc told me to lay off working out for at least 4 or 5 days. I asked about walking and kayaking. She said walking would be fine, but my arm is going to be sore for a few days and I should lay off anything with my arms until the incision heals, I can be in the water, but probably don't need to paddle or swim. I did A & B last week, so this week, A & B will be crammed in at the very end of the week, I think, if I get them in at all.

I've been procrastinating on calling the Combat jujitsu place I found a flyer for. Finances being my main excuse, but I should call anyway. It can't hurt to ask prices. I also thought about offering TKD training in exchange for CJJ. Then I could get a really good work out, practice TKD AND JJ, and afford it. lol

• Like 2

Tonight I'm making sausage & zucchini stuffed tomatoes with cheese, tomorrow I will make the philly mushrooms, and then one night I'll have roast chicken & Creamy Cajun spaghetti squash. I also got lettuce leaves & mini guac cups (I couldn't find avocados), to go with my lunch meat and tuna for lunches. I also have lots of tilapia, beef medallions, broccoli, yellow squash & eggplant courtesy of my family's freezer hoarding tendencies.

I also decided to cave and try artificial sweeteners again.  A friend of mine that is visiting had some sugar free dark chocolate sweetened with Stevia. He let me try one because I last tried sugar free stuff years ago and I didn't like, and have just avoided it since. It was really  good. All the dessert recipes, fat bomb recipes, and some regular recipes I find for keto have either liquid stevia or erythritol. I need to think long term for this way of eating, and there's no way I can give up any and all kinds of sweets for months at a time. If I try, I'll wind up eating a gallon of ice cream. 

• Like 1

FWIW, I'd say Stevia's the way to go. It's not for everyone - some people complain of an after-taste, and that can be a problem - but for me at least it's good. I use it in coffee, for sweetening rice, in soda if you can find it, and I'm probably going to use it when I start to take in the beef gelatin for my knee. It makes food go down easier.

And I'm like you in that regard - a big part of my new ability to adhere to stricter practices lies in the fact that I am sweetening my food and hitting that particular point of satiation without negatively impacting myself. It's good stuff, and it works. Glad it's working for you!

On 7/23/2016 at 5:38 PM, Kishi said:

And I'm like you in that regard - a big part of my new ability to adhere to stricter practices lies in the fact that I am sweetening my food and hitting that particular point of satiation without negatively impacting myself. It's good stuff, and it works. Glad it's working for you!

Yea, the moderation thing does actually work, you just need to put effort into the moderation.  People tend to be lazy about it, and then claim moderation didn't work.  It's not the moderation that didn't work, it was your moderating that didn't.  But it certainly is easier to have decent swap outs to hit craving before they start.  I'm an ice cream fiend, so finding Arctic Zero/Halo Top ice creams to hit that tooth when it strikes has been fantastic.  And seltzer has helped me really knock down any urge to drink soda ever again (I was getting to a point where water, coffee, and tea were the only flavored water options I had, so the seltzer lets me pick something that's a no calorie-but-tasty beverage.)

On 7/23/2016 at 0:52 PM, PinkNinja said:

Tonight I'm making sausage & zucchini stuffed tomatoes with cheese, tomorrow I will make the philly mushrooms, and then one night I'll have roast chicken & Creamy Cajun spaghetti squash.

This all sounds amazing.  And that's coming from someone who currently has 10 pounds of kahlua pork cooking....

• Like 1

I haven't been able to log my food because of crap cell service and no internet, but I have really been nailing it lately. Roast chicken, philly cheesesteak mushrooms, sausage & zucchini stuffed tomatoes, tuna & avocado wraps, steak roulade, and ham & cheese roll ups the last (almost) 2 weeks. I had one carby meal of a tri tip french dip, but I didn't like the bread, not because of my diet or any life altering taste changes, it was just too tough. The little one had heard about "Briar Rose" a sleeping beauty-ish bakery in town and I had promised I'd take her out for brunch if she finished her reading log. She did, & she picked a bakery.lol We also had lunch with the librarian at a mexican restuarant. I had a chicken, steak & avocado burrito, but I dumped it out of the tortilla. :) The rest of my visit with them, we cooked at home instead of eating out. That helped quite a bit. I was able to make dinner for us, which made them happy, and able to keep things close enough to make easy modifications for me. We had a pork roast, potatoes, & cheesy broccoli one night. The second night we had hamburger steak & fried squash. Oh, I  did go over on that one, cause I mowed down the squash. It's one of my favorites, but I hate cooking it and my guy wanted to treat me. He thought it'd be low carb. :) 

phillyshrooms.jpgstuffed_maters.jpg

I've been having luck with modifying recipes and finding good keto meals.

Also, the job posted. So my application is in. It doesn't close til August 12th! ugh.lol

• Like 1

I wasn't as prepared for this conference as I should've been partially cause money still sucks and it's easier to budget a loaf of bread and some tuna pouches, esp when there's no fridge in my hotel. I still could've planned better. I'm going to be ready for the next trip.

I have done lots of walking today. Tomorrow I'm going to do my workout. :) I have already skipped a week, shame. Though it was because my new cyborg part was sore for nearly a week. But now it's feeling better. I was doing confined spaces rescue training today. I rappelled down into a giant metal hamster cage and rescued a very distressed mannequin. Repeatedly. It was so much fun! They even showed us how to rig a pulley system for self rescue. I was able to haul myself out of the giant hamster cage. Ooh! I just remembered I have a picture of it!

giant_metal_hamster_cage.jpg So if I can get down in this and haul a dummy out, I can do my bodyweight workout again.

The money situation is getting better. I've been tracking expenses, keeping up with YNAB. things are just tight cause I made sure all the bills were paid (except 1 :( ). I'm applying for a home equity loan to consolidate all my debt at a MUCH lower interest rate. I turned in all my paperwork before I left Monday. They called this afternoon and decided they wanted more paper.

My application for the (sort of) new job is almost done. I have until the 12th but I want to get it done while I'm at the conference because I have internet. I have lost another 1.5 lbs and am still down one hole on my belt loop. :D

I had a neat experience at the conference this last week. The keynote was talking about comfort zones and learning new experiences to be prepared and for an example he said "How many of you have ever spent the night in the woods, not at a campsite actually in the woods, completely alone, no other human being, and no pet?"

In a room of several hundred people that are from the same state, and people I consider to be tough people, and more like me, all emergency services people, firefighters, EMTs, paramedics, flight nurses. I was literally the only one. Several people around me were so amazed that during break, I was quizzed on it. They thought it was astounding, and we started talking. They said they thought I was amazing, not because of my job, but because of things I like to do.

I guess this sounds kind of crazy, and maybe kind of conceited, but I had forgotten I was kind of cool.

• Like 3

That is really neat.  The things you do are awesome, and you should be reminded of that.

Yay open job!  Hope the rest of the process is smooth.  

• Like 1

Tomorrow is my Monday,  and I have 10 keto meals prepped for this work week. 

All my loan paperwork is turned in as of today, and now I'm waiting to hear back.

The job closes Friday.  Supposedly interviews will be Tuesday or Wednesday.  I'm cleaning and throwing away things because either way,  I'll be moving after that  either completely in or back out. 

My arm is swollen as of Monday,  and I think the implant that I got a couple of weeks ago is working it's way out.  And it hurts. I have an appointment to have that checked.  They seem to think it can't possibly be coming out,  but I know foreign objects protruding from my body when I see them.  I've actually had experience with that, having been impaled and all.

This challenge is almost over.  Hope it's been going well for everyone. 

(Just realized I may have real Internet before the next challenge is over!! YAY!)

• Like 1

On 8/9/2016 at 10:06 AM, PinkNinja said:

I guess this sounds kind of crazy, and maybe kind of conceited, but I had forgotten I was kind of cool.

I've noticed this happens with Nerds a lot.

We do these awesome things that we build so slowly towards (for the most part), that while we feel accomplished with them, we forget how awesome the Big Finished Product is.  we chalk it up as "Victory accomplished, because of many small things" while other people see "Huge Victory Accomplished OUT OF NO WHERE."

At least my two cents.

Hope the interviews go well next week!!

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:11 PM, PinkNinja said:

I weighed yesterday. I've lost 9.75 lbs this month. I wasn't even able to stick to keto for most of the month. I'm down a hole on my belt, and I can almost get another hole down, but it's uncomfortable.

GRATS!!!

I got made a cyborg yesterday. ;) When she put my implant in, the doc told me to lay off working out for at least 4 or 5 days. I asked about walking and kayaking. She said walking would be fine, but my arm is going to be sore for a few days and I should lay off anything with my arms until the incision heals, I can be in the water, but probably don't need to paddle or swim. I did A & B last week, so this week, A & B will be crammed in at the very end of the week, I think, if I get them in at all.

Take it slow, my last two challenges were about finding the line between hard and r*tard. Don't be like me.

I've been procrastinating on calling the Combat jujitsu place I found a flyer for. Finances being my main excuse, but I should call anyway. It can't hurt to ask prices. I also thought about offering TKD training in exchange for CJJ. Then I could get a really good work out, practice TKD AND JJ, and afford it. lol

Combat Jujitsu: Seriously? Go there when you heal up. If you did TKD you probably also did Hapkido, so there will be an overlap. Every CJJ place is different, but the one I took was awesome.