• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sam Ashen

Sam Ashen Götterdämmerung

People still use a lot of cheques in the US?

I use the "goodbudget app" for 'silver'. Just allocate a set amount to each 'envelope' each month. I don't bother tracking fixed costs though - just deduct them all from my total and let them take care of themselves.

They are us.

21 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Rest day and did not eat all the foods?

Where is Sam Ashen and what have you done with him?!!?!?

Double hand jerking? :D

Does it feel weird that I´m impressed by your jerking technique? ;)

• Like 3

Hi Sam! I need to get on the silver tracking, I have a lot of my gold tracking automated. 

I don't check it that often though, on purpose. Might be more necessary if your gold is more widely distributed than mine, or you have more of it!

So many oly puns.....

14 hours ago, skinNbones said:

People still use a lot of cheques in the US?

I use this term very generically.  It does not mean I physically write a check.  The bank might do that for me, instead.  It's still a check.  It might be done electronically, transferring money from one account to another.  It's still a check.

I don't do it automatically.  I use Bill Pay.  It makes me more conscious of the action.

2 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

Hi Sam! I need to get on the silver tracking

Gratz on your recent move!

My first big move was to California, back in 2000.  It took about one month to start thinking about gold.  Hmm, gold.  Speaking of gold, it was incredibly cheap back then.  You could leave it exposed in the passenger seat of your unlocked vehicle in a crazy part of town and nobody would touch it.  It was under $300 per ounce.

It's up 4 to 5 times since then!  So ironic it makes me rethink the Parable of the Talents.  You know the story.  Three people were given three sums of money and told to invest it wisely.  One was given 5 Talents.  As well as I understand it, a Talent is close to 1200 Troy Ounces and Silver was trading around $5 per ounce in 2000.  So a Talent would have been worth about $6000 back then.

So the first person was given $30000 to invest.  The second person was given $12000 to invest.  The third person was given $6000 to invest.  Right now, the stock market is strong.  The DJIA is 18.5k compared to about 10k in 2000.  Add in dividends, the person who invested $30000 would have about $75000 and the person who invested $12000 would have about $30000.

Meanwhile, silver is trading at close to $20 per ounce, so the person who buried that Talent of Silver is really looking pretty at $24000.

I have a lot of my gold tracking automated. 

I don't check it that often though, on purpose.

That sounds like you signed up for automatic investments, which is a good start.  There is usually a match involved.  So grab all the free money!

Might be more necessary if your gold is more widely distributed than mine, or you have more of it!

I'm old!  Remember?

Smaug.jpg

Off to appointment soon.  Then I can write up.

-----------------------------

Any big plans for the weekend?

Me: 10x10 DL on Saturday.  Not likely I will feel like doing much else.

• Like 3

And this is my very first experience with those drops the eye doctors use to look deep inside the eye.  I have been able to avoid them up to this point.  At least now I can have my glasses on and read something close up.  So I can take some time to type this.

Saw the Healer this morning.  She also thought the sunburn pattern on my back was very amusing once I explained what it was and how I got it.  She also says it's tanning out.  So we will see.

Week 4, Day 4.  Tod Durch Kreuzheben

Deadlifts:

1x10x135 pounds

1x10x225 pounds

10x10x305 pounds - and I taped the second last set!

Squats:

1x8x135 pounds

1x8x185 pounds

3x8x225 pounds - and I taped the second last set.

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 8x45, 8x55, 8x65 pounds

Back Extensions: 3x12

Single Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3x8x75 pounds

Then.  Pizza.

Score for Today:

3825 Calories

330 Carbs

199 Fat

164 Protein

+8.3 Overall

I thought I would make it out for ice cream.  I'll do it tomorrow.

• Like 3

Is it understandable to lose a food willpower battle on a Rest Day Sunday following volume Deadlift?

Right now I think it means if you prick my finger, my blood is red.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Now that I am back in town, the upcoming issues are:

Parents in town in a couple more weeks......

.....and CAAAAAAMMMMMMMPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of Camp.  I guess I have to remember to fill in the PL Competition form.  And keep in mind Spezzy made the form and she is using Dark Side Imperial units.  Otherwise, I will open with something like 145 Squat and wonder why it was so incredibly easy.

Also.  Costume Party.

Character:  Selected.

Wingperson:  Selected.

Now I am putting the pieces together and have almost two months to prepare.  This time, I will be keeping it secret.  Only four, maybe five other people will know about this one.  Maybe six.  Nah.  Not six.  Maybe not even five.  But four.  Because I might be able to put my parents to work looking for little pieces to make the costume.  Maybe five.  Because they might tell my sister about it.  Maybe a lot more than five.  Because my mother talks a lot. :lol:

I needed an afternoon out and ate like an asshole today because I did not have a plan for today.

Score for Today:

3775 Calories

448 Carbs

166 Fat

157 Protein

+8.7 Overall

• Like 6

I think what you mean to say is that you are going to post clues here for all of us to guess at your costume. It's not an NF costume part is it? Surely we can be in the know...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I think what you mean to say is that you are going to post clues here for all of us to guess at your costume. It's not an NF costume part is it? Surely we can be in the know...

Sorry.  Keeping this one a secret.  We shall see how long that lasts. :D

Meanwhile.  I'm all booked in and out of Atlanta!

Next up is booking shuttles and special evennts.  Hopefully the special events don't get rained out.

While I am so busy Sam Ashen the Action Button......

DEFCON 4 Action taken:  Got my butt on LinkedIn.

Coming up:  One of those innocuous phone calls to see "how things are going."

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

While I am so busy Sam Ashen the Action Button......

DEFCON 4 Action taken:  Got my butt on LinkedIn.

Coming up:  One of those innocuous phone calls to see "how things are going."

Get it. Every time I see you take a step I feel like I need to get my butt in gear. I like that. 

a0FjL9a.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/23/2016 at 3:04 PM, Urgan said:

Does that make your real name Smaug, then?

I imagine that being 'old' means he tends to put too much emphasis on the economic impact of gold. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rookiebeotch said:

I imagine that being 'old' means he tends to put too much emphasis on the economic impact of gold. 

Age times Income, divided by 10 = Dumbest.  Indicator.  Ever.

:P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

Age times Income, divided by 10 = Dumbest.  Indicator.  Ever.

:P

= how much wealth you should have hoarded? 

Shouldn't it be partially exponential with age? 

16 minutes ago, Rookiebeotch said:

= how much wealth you should have hoarded? 

Shouldn't it be partially exponential with age? 

My point, exactly.  I suppose to be a little more fair, there is a big tendency to dumb down anything mathematical.  So that particular writer came up with something stupidly simple that works reasonably for a certain age group.

Very obviously, it fails for MM and Elvie.

On 7/21/2016 at 9:10 PM, Sam Ashen said:

Another thing on the list of Other Quests.......  Tracking the Gold.

A few years ago, I had a system set up to track exactly where every copper piece went.  Inflow.  Good trades.  Bad trades.  Dividends.  Purchases.  I lost it in a system "upgrade" and have never rebuilt it.  The past six years are all I really care about.  The first three of those would be the most difficult to trace.

Hmm.  Maybe I can get this all set up by the end of this Challenge Cycle!

This is going easier than I thought!  I had some information that already took me through the most complicated parts already and I have the most complicated account figured out and all up to date!

It is now scribbled down on a scrap of paper.  Hopefully I do not lose it.

The less complicated account should go much, much easier.

• Like 2

Sometimes it is pretty amusing to listen to high and mighty statements.  I managed to stay tight-lipped instead of suggesting somebody the next time he passes judgement, count the number of digits in his net worth.  Long story and I forgot to share it yesterday.

Looking through that one account was enlightening in a depressing way.  I was looking at a year where I did not have energy to execute decisions.  That was not really a good sign. :(

I trust I am doing better by now.  Keep grinding.  Keep leveling.  I really need a place inside the house that is dedicated to reading and studying.

Oh.  And another thing I forgot to say:  Be very cautious about taking investment advice from somebody who has not told you how he lost his shirt. :P

<------------------

---------------------------------------------

Back in MinniBulgaria......

Lots of Snatch High Pulls......

5x64, 5x94, 5x114..... something like 6x5x134 pounds

Nothing too big.  Then we decided to try a slightly narrower grip.  So....

Snatch: 3x3x94 pounds

Hang Cleans: 2x134, 2x154, 2x174, 2x184, 2x204, 2x214 pounds

Jerks: 3x134, 3x154, 3x174, 2x3x184 pounds

Score for Today:

3035 Calories

327 Carbs

122 Fat

173 Protein

+2.4 Overall

• Like 5

We moved some days around this week.  So....  Week 5, Day 2.

Tod Durch Kneibeuge

Squats:

1x10x45 pound empty bar

1x10x135 pounds

1x10x185 pounds

10x10x215 pounds

Okay.  I tried E3MOM and got to 6 sets and hit a freaking wall.  The last sets were a big struggle.  I finally got the job done in 33 minutes.  So lost about 5 minutes in the final four sets.  After all of this, I was pretty useless for the next half hour or so.  The yellow Energy bar was on fumes.

So Tod Durch Kneibeuge was pretty literal today.

Deadlifts:

1x10x135 pounds

1x10x185 pounds

3x10x225 pounds

^^See how useless I was feeling??!?

Dumbbell Bench Press:

3x8x50 pounds

Dumbbell single-arm Press:

3x8x35 pounds

Cable Flies:  3x8

Decided to eat like an arse at Outback.  2 loaves of bread.  Full rack of Baby Back Ribs.  The Fries.  Cookie Skillet.  2700 is nowhere close to my best showing.  I'm going to bed freaking hungry.

:tyrannosaurus:

• Like 4

I'm here. I'm caught up. So now, it's trolling time.

a. Dude, where's my copyright? I was the one to use German titles first... 

b.

6 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

So Tod Durch Kniebeugen was pretty literal today.

FTFY B) but I'll have to summon @BarbarianBassBro for a spell-check too, just in case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

That's right! It would be the same in English too, no? Death by Squats instead of Death By Squats.

Nope. English does not capitalize common nouns the way German does. So in English it should be Death by squats, rather than Death by Squats.

2 minutes ago, Stonefist said:

Nope. English does not capitalize common nouns the way German does. So in English it should be Death by squats, rather than Death by Squats.

Except "squats" would be treated like a name, right?