FemmeHawke's Respawn

FemmeHawke

Well, hello there!

Been awhile since I've been around. Not new to the forum or the challenges (well, the 4 week format is new), I joined in 2013-ish, though it appears that it had been so long since I'd logged in...that my former account and username can no longer be used. Whoops! That's okay though, I could use a fresh start. 

I've recently been back-and-forth at the doctors concerning some iffy thyroid numbers: TSH levels are high, though I exhibit symptoms of both a hyper (heart palpitations, anxiousness, sensitivity to heat) and hypo (hair loss, weight gain, lethargy) thyroid, and considering I have eczema (an autoimmune issue), doctor suspects Hashimoto's. More blood work towards the end of August will shed more light on that. However, I am not planning on waiting until then to take better care of myself. The past 3 years have seen a lot of stress, taking care of others rather than myself, avoiding changes when they are 'too difficult' (read: uncomfortable), and goals come and go without being completed; that needs to change. So, starting here with some smaller items that I have started to put into practice, but, by tracking them here and making them part of my challenge, the goal is to have them become healthy habits that I can build upon. I have a habit of trying to do too many changes at once, become exhausted and overwhelmed, and then none of them happen. Womp-womp/sad trombone. 

Challenge Change 1: The Walker (seriously, I love that song).

For the past two months I started walking home from work (about 3.5km) and more often than not, I'll walk home every night of the week. However, the past few weeks I've had too many 'excuses' and I bus home instead. I really do enjoy the walk, work is enjoyable but stressful, so this is a good decompress. Must get back into the habit. 

Goal: 4 weeks, walk home every day of the week (barring dangerous weather, such as a severe thunderstorm). Perfect Sore/A+: completing all 20 walks (4 weeks, 5xWeek). Still successful/B+: walking 4xWeek

Challenge Change 2: Warrior Guild Ambitions 

In the next challenge, or perhaps the one after that, I would like to make my way over to the Warrior's Guild. For the past few years I have on-and-off strength trained, I do love it and I want to see how strong I can get, but I need to be more consistent. Being better and more consistent means...doing more of the things. 

Goal: I'm going to tier this one. For the first two weeks, I will train with heavy weights 2xWeek. For the second two weeks, I will train 3xWeek, which will flow into the next challenge cycle of keeping up with 3xWeek. Perfect Score/A+: Going 2xWeek for the first two weeks, and 3xWeek the second two weeks. Somewhat Successful: 2xWeek for the full 4 weeks. Barely Passable: a mix of 1 and 2 times a Week. 

Starting the challenge strong, I've already got my gym bag packed for tomorrow morning and my breakfast and lunch made to take with me. Woo! 

Challenge Change 3: Know your Enemy 

After my appointment with the endocrinologist, I picked up a journal so I could record my food intake and how I feel depending on what I eat so I can see what things make me feel not so great. I already know that dairy and wheat will make my eczema flair up (though, I admit sometimes I would sacrifice having a flair-up for a snack. Booooo to bad ideas!), and would like to see if there is anything else. Also, tracking my food will also help me keep away from dairy and wheat, which I likely should be. 

Goal: Track my food and how I've been feeling every day. This is a more 'yes or no' kind of thing, since it will be more difficult to get a sense of trends and the like if I don't keep track of these things. Super-Success: I track food and avoid known triggers (dairy, wheat and too much sugar). 

Tasty, tasty extra XP for a Leveled-Up Life:

Spending 30 min every day (whether in the morning, during my lunch break, or at night) working on my PhD dissertation. Chapters 1-5 are done, though need revision, and Chapter 6 (the conclusion) is drafted. I'm almost there. 

Extra-special bonus: Spending a full work-day worth of hours (i.e. 8-4) on Sunday working on the diss. 

--

Here we go folks. Good luck to everyone!!! 

Alliance Soldier. Interplanetary Combatives Training (ICT): Level N1

First Challenge

Wow, welcome back!  I think your new handle is great (Dragon age 2 yeah?)  Good luck!  My sister got her PhD and it was holy terror, that's a lot of work but you can do it!!  Good luck with the thyroid issues.  That sounds like a difficult thing to contend with but it also sounds like you're trying to be responsible and take good care of yourself.  I'm rooting for you!

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Thanks folks! 

Trishasmash - yes, yes they do! I'm hoping that it will go smooth-ish and I'll have some answers after the new round of blood work is done. Though, I suppose it's not, at its root, a 'thyroid issue', so much as an autoimmune issue that is impacting my thyroid? Either way, if it ends up resulting in hypo issues, it's what I'll have to deal with no matter the root issue. Which is a long-winded way of saying: if you have any thoughts or advice, I'm all ears!

Magistra Fay - It is really nice! Work is enjoyable, but stressful and 'heavy', so to speak, so walking after is a nice decompress. I'm hoping I'll be able to do the walking into early December, but then it gets crazy cold here with a lot of snow. Still, I've got quite a few months ahead of me! 

Treva - Thanks for the welcome back! :) You called it, Dragon Age 2 reference! And then the profile picture is a nod to Mass Effect/Shepherd. My two favourite game series (and the Neverwinter Nights series and Baulders Gate aren't too far behind). Yeah, the whole PhD process is like running a marathon, alone, with zombies. Okay, maybe not totally alone....but mostly alone. I guess there's a reason more than 50% don't finish. I figure that I'm 'too close to quit', though I still have some work ahead of me. Thanks for the support :)

--

Day 1 (for me, I'll go until Monday instead of Sunday at the end of the Challenge)

Walking: Check! I didn't walk home, but I did do the equivalent distance to the grocery store (health app on my iPod says 5km) after work/once I dropped of my gym bag at home.

Gym: Check! Today was deadlift daaaaay. 4x6 at 115lbs. It isn't a struggle to lift, so I think I'll up the weight next week. I do find that I can string more of them together, got a few '6 in a row' today without having to pause and reset. The other two sets were 4 in a row, pause for 10 seconds to reset, and then the final two. 

Food tracking: Check again! I ended up having a breakfast wrap this morning, because I made my breakfast and lunch...and forgot them when I left the house (sigh. It was 5:40am, so, there's that...). Had my coffee black though, no dairy. Both lunch and dinner had no dairy.

Working on Dissertation: Yet another check! Spent about 45min on it, going through a printed copy to hand-write in revision ideas. I work better with a physical copy, sometimes. 

Hope everyone else is doing well!  

First Challenge

23 hours ago, Traxex said:

here for the lifting ;) 

nice job on the deadlifts!! 4x6 is a lot of volume! 

Thanks! I was wondering if it was 'too much volume' (not that you suggested as such!), more wondering if I should go 'heavier weight, lower reps'. Though 5x5 is more reps. Maybe 5-3-1? Hmmm. My max weight for a set of a few sets of 3 was 155, not sure what my 1RM is. 

--

A very quick check in, as it seems it's getting late! 

Walk home: Check!

Workout: N/A for today.

Logged food: Check!

Dissertation work: About to be a 'check' as I'm doing that as soon as I post this. ETA: Diss work gets a 'half check', spent 15min on it instead of 30. Getting late, need sleep. On the upside, instead of saying 'if I can't do 30min, I'll do nothing!', I sat and did something at the very least. Will make up the 15 min tomorrow. 

First Challenge

I'm no expert (so far I've been too lazy busy to read the book on hypothyroidism my sister was kind enough to buy for me... three years ago...), but I have read that anyone with hypo should avoid soy. Apparently it keeps your body from absorbing the replacement hormone? Anyway, I feel much better when I cut out soy... and soy is in everything, so that kind of diet looks pretty similar to Paleo.

On July 19, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Traxex said:

nearly all 5x5 programs do only 1x5 on deadlifts!! 

Oh. :flustered: 

I guess I'd best change things up a bit! I would much rather do less reps, but go heavier. So, yay for that! When I get a moment, I'll head over to your battle log - maybe I'll get some ideas :)

2 hours ago, trishasmash said:

I'm no expert (so far I've been too lazy busy to read the book on hypothyroidism my sister was kind enough to buy for me... three years ago...), but I have read that anyone with hypo should avoid soy. Apparently it keeps your body from absorbing the replacement hormone? Anyway, I feel much better when I cut out soy... and soy is in everything, so that kind of diet looks pretty similar to Paleo.

Interesting. Thanks for this! Soy isn't something I eat or drink a lot of, but yeah, it is in everything. 

--

Will have a check-in tomorrow. Ended up going home sick from work, got slammed with a bad cold. Ughs. So, off to bed!

First Challenge

Checking-in. Yesterday (Wednesday) started out pretty good, got my arse to the gym and did upper body work (after warming up, of course): 

Benchpress: 1x5 at 45lb, 2x5 at 55lb. Bench is probably my weakest lift, for I have awkwardly long arms. Long-term goal: bench my body weight. 

Single arm bent-over row 3x8 at 25lb. Up 5lb from last week.  

Knee pushups: 3x5. Back in February (when I was doing CrossFit) I was *THIS CLOSE* to a full pushup and having it look good. I could get one full 'chest-to-deck' but it was ugly and I struggled on the way up, but had I kept at it, I'm sure I would have been able to get it and string some together. So, boo for stopping. On the upside - I know that I can get close, and will get it, if I keep at it. 

Pull-ups (assisted, counterweight set at 70lb. I probably weigh about 135-140. I haven't weighed myself in awhile). 2x8. My arms were already toast at this point - I made some fun 'uuugh/grrr' faces in the mirror trying to get through these (and by fun I mean, awkward)

Goblet squats at 25lb, 10 of 'em, just because I like them. I also like finishing the set in the bottom position, just sort of hang out and stretch there for a bit. 

Since I went to the gym twice this week, that's a big o'l CHECK for the week! I am, however, going to try and go to the gym tomorrow and make it 3 for the week. Also because, I want to squat. 

Logged food both yesterday and today. Womp-womp no walking home yesterday, because I left work early as I was sick, so I took the bus, and I stayed home today (see: being sick), so, no walking anywhere. Might go for a walk later, after dinner. Diss work didn't get done yesterday either, going to do some now as I'm starting to feel a bit better and less foggy-brained.  

First Challenge

41 minutes ago, FemmeHawke said:

Bench is probably my weakest lift, for I have awkwardly long arms.

Hey, bench twins. I also wanna get to bodyweight someday. it's a long ways off though.

42 minutes ago, FemmeHawke said:

I also like finishing the set in the bottom position, just sort of hang out and stretch there for a bit. 

I love doing this as I warmup for squats. 

42 minutes ago, FemmeHawke said:

Since I went to the gym twice this week, that's a big o'l CHECK for the week!

Woo hoo!! 

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

Yay bench twins!!! Or, boooooo because it is the least best lift for us both? Oh well, everyone has their challenges - while it might take some time, I'm sure we'll both get there! :livid: (I know the description says 'livid', but I use that as my 'grrrr/gameface'!)

--

Check-in for the day! Was still feeling kind of 'meh' when I went to bed last night, so opted for more sleep and held off on the gym this morning. Still got my 'check for the week', so I'm okay that I missed a 3rd gym day. I was thinking of running after work (re-downloaded my 5k training 'Zombies, Run!' app on a new device), but holy hell is it hot out there. Dangerous hot. So, going to run in the AM. I can tell it's starting to get cool out, smells like rain (yum!). Heat also meant no walking home after work. 

Food tracking: check! It's been a pretty good week overall so far. Only time I felt kind of sick/off was Wednesday morning, I used 3/4 cup of coconut cream mixed with 1/4 cup water in my protein shake thing (I use whey powder, no flavour or anything, from grass-fed cows/organic milk, one small-medium banana and tsp of coco powder. I have to use the blender, can't just shake it up, but I like it). I had it first thing in the AM before I left for the gym, so, perhaps it's just too much/too heavy first thing. Going to get some unsweetened coconut milk (I think Silk makes it?) to use instead, not nearly as heavy. Other observation: I must get something 'quick and yummy' for Friday nights. Friday night is typically pizza for my partner, and found that since I didn't feel like cooking anything intensive, I had some too. But, if I want to get away from wheat etc., especially if it ends up just being bad for me with this autoimmune thing, I need to put measures in place that it's easier to 'say no' to pizza night. It's hard after a long day and I'm 'hired' (hungry and tired). Lessons learned!

Dissertation work: check! Went for 45min this evening, trying to make up time from sick days on Wednesday and Thursday. 

Week one is almost kicked, folks! Woo! 

First Challenge

23 hours ago, FemmeHawke said:

(re-downloaded my 5k training 'Zombies, Run!' app on a new device)

YASSSSSSS

23 hours ago, FemmeHawke said:

Dissertation work: check! Went for 45min this evening, trying to make up time from sick days on Wednesday and Thursday. 

Oof. I don't miss those days. What is yours on? 

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

1 hour ago, Traxex said:

YASSSSSSS

Oof. I don't miss those days. What is yours on? 

Yeah!!! It makes running way more fun. I mean, not super-fun (I don't get that 'runners high'), but still - zombies and a good storyline make it entertaining, at least. 

My home department is Political Science/International Relations, diss topic is the privatization of security (private military companies). Some days its interesting, other days I haaaaate it and want it done. I've been taking way too long to get it done, but, with 5 of 6 chapters done (need to revise, but they're written) and ch 6, the conclusion, getting there - I'm too close not to finish. Still. UGH! 

--

Check-in for the day! 

Went for the 'day 1 of week 1' of the Zombies, Run! 5k training app. So much fun! Well, as fun as running in this high heat/humidity can be. This wasn't in my original challenge plan, but, I may add it - thinking of running Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday. We'll see though, since it's 'bonus material' at this point. I would like to run at least twice a week though. 

Things went downhill after the run though, started getting a headache not long after I got home. I drank lots of water before I left, and drank water mixed with fruit juice when I got back, for a bit extra other than water (3/4 water, juice), stretched out etc. Then went and saw a movie, headache was still there, then as soon as we got out into the sun it went into full-on migraine mode (nausea, the works). Got home, took some advil and slept for awhile. It's still kind of 'there', but not nearly as bad. It did remind me to swing by the health food section of the grocery store this evening though and get myself some 'natural calm' (magnesium sup), it has helped me in the past with migraines - and sleeping better. I also made sure to get myself something for Friday nights when my parter has pizza, I'll have something 'quick-ish' to make so I'm not tempted by pizza. Yay for that!

Food tracking: check! 

Diss work: no check. The time I would have used on it was taken up by sleeping off my migraine. Plan for tomorrow is to spend the better part of a 'full work day' (with breaks, of course) on it, so this will help. I have a copy of ch's 1-5 printed, with some comments from one of my committee members, and I've been going through and making my own comments. I'd like to finish going through the hard copy tomorrow and start on the revisions. 

Week 1 is almost done, congrats folks!!! 

First Challenge

On 7/23/2016 at 10:37 PM, FemmeHawke said:

I also made sure to get myself something for Friday nights when my parter has pizza, I'll have something 'quick-ish' to make so I'm not tempted by pizza. Yay for that!

Food tracking: check! 

Diss work: no check. The time I would have used on it was taken up by sleeping off my migraine. Plan for tomorrow is to spend the better part of a 'full work day' (with breaks, of course) on it, so this will help. I have a copy of ch's 1-5 printed, with some comments from one of my committee members, and I've been going through and making my own comments. I'd like to finish going through the hard copy tomorrow and start on the revisions. 

Week 1 is almost done, congrats folks!!! 

Wow that is some will power, I can't resist pizza to save my life.

And good luck with your dissertation!  That's amazing, congrats to be working on it!  I watched my sister do hers, and it's a ton of effort on your part.  Taking some time to take care of the migraine may help dissertation work go better.  I know it's a lot of work, but you can do it!!!  (

Current Challenge

Battle Log

End of week 1 check-in! 

Waling home: I'm going to say 'check', as the times I didn't walk home were health related. I walked 3 of the 5 days. Also went for a walk yesterday (Sunday) to help make up for a bit of lost walking time. 

Gym: Another check! Went twice. As a bonus round, I went for a run on Saturday. Zombies are motivating! 

Food tracking: Check! Have been tracking with either my journal, or MyFitnessPal. Usually both.

Dissertation work: this one has been more spotty. There have been some nights that by the time I 'have time', it's already past 9 (and since I get up at 5:15, I have to go to bed soon; sleep is important!). I got my work in most days, I'd say 4 of the 7 for the week. I want to do every day though, so, I'm going to have to re-strategize. I'm thinking that taking some work with me to 'regular work' and using 30min of my 1hr lunch will help with that. 

Other thoughts on this challenge: I'm going to have to crunch the numbers to determine what is 'successful enough', but, should I be successful with this challenge, I think I'll reward myself with some kind of fitness tracker (like Jawbone? Any other recs?). I'm enjoying tracking my food and steps/walking through MFP, so, something like this that also tracks my sleep and my daily movement could be fun and a way of motivating myself further, since I geek-out on tracking the data. 

--

Check in for today:

Gym: yes indeed! I didn't want to when I first got up, it was dark, and early, and I wanted more sleep - then I thought 'what am I going to do, go back to bed for 20min? That's dumb - get your butt to the gym!". Monday's are deadlift day! <3 After warming up, did two sets of 5 at 95lb, and then 2 sets of 5 at 135lb. That's 20lb up on last week (I cut back on volume, and 115 was feeling 'too easy'). It was a challenge, but I could do it. I'm thinking next week will be 'less of a challenge'. Though, I don't plan on making a 20lb hike! Something small, like 5lb next time I round up. 

Walk home: Yes again! Even though the sky looked like it was going to fall, I thought 'oh well, we'll see if it rains' (it didn't). Lugging my gym bag home makes it another bit of a workout. 

Food tracking: yuuuup! Tracked in MFP. Noted a bit of a 'trend', I had coffee this morning with my breakfast - but I bought my breakfast, instead of making it earlier and taking it with me, and I had cream in my coffee (bad self!), and whoa; was I bloated. So, note to self: don't get bad coffee, because bad coffee needs cream...and cream does not good things for my stomach. 

Diss work: today was one of those days where by the time I sat down, it was nearly 9. Once I post this, I'll go and do 10min at the very least. Will take it with me to work tomorrow. 

---

16 minutes ago, Treva said:

Wow that is some will power, I can't resist pizza to save my life.

And good luck with your dissertation!  That's amazing, congrats to be working on it!  I watched my sister do hers, and it's a ton of effort on your part.  Taking some time to take care of the migraine may help dissertation work go better.  I know it's a lot of work, but you can do it!!!  (

Haha yeah, I normally really like pizza - but in this case, if it really is messing up my immune system/thyroid, it isn't worth it. I just have to 'help me help myself' to make sure I can make better choices. Sure is tasty though! And, thanks for the dissertation well-wishes! It is not the easiest thing ever (...obviously?) and I hate it now, but, I'll be glad once it's done and it's something I can be proud of. 

Good luck with week two, folks! 

First Challenge

So, week two flew by....and we're well into week 3?! It's late, and I have to get up early, but wanted to come and say week two got checks all around (mostly), and week 3 is starting off strong. Will post more detail tomorrow.

Happy week 3, everyone! 

• Like 1

First Challenge

Hello out there! As I'd said, would have a bit more of a check-in today.

Week two was a success overall, well, mostly:

* Walking: Check! I had a lot of social events last week, which is odd for me because I'm normally a hardcore introvert. So, on the days where I didn't walk home from work, I made sure to get my walking in other ways. I logged at least 4k of walking each day last week; some days more! 

* Gym/working out: er...kind of a check. I went to the gym last Monday, and because of a category 5 shitstorm at work all week, I was going in early and missing my usual gym time. I did, however, run on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday to help make up for my lost gym day. So, I finished off week 1 of the Zombies, Run! 5K training and started on week two. I would say that, overall, it was still a successful workout week. 

* Food tracking: all day, every day! Didn't miss a day of food tracking. ALSO have not had any wheat/grain products (to my knowledge, anyway), for almost two weeks (nothing since the 24th). I did have some dairy, as I went out for ice-cream with a friend last week...and I paid for it. Ughs. Teh bloating. 

* Diss work: this is where things have fallen off the rails. I'd say 4 of the 7 days last week, I had some kind of social thing in the evenings (or, all day as was the case on Sunday), so by the time I got home and ate/wound-down for the evening, it was past my bed time. Everything else has been going pretty well, so this is my 'get back on track' task.

--

Checking in for Week 3 thus far:

So far, going pretty good!

I kicked off the week (Sunday) with a run - day 1 of week 2 of the Zombies, Run 5K training. It was stupid hot out (why did I think running at 1pm was a good idea?), but it was fun and went pretty well. Monday was a holiday, so, the gym was closed. Boooooo to that. What I REALLY wanted to do was play some Mass Effect 2. BUUUUUT instead of 'playing Shepherd', decided to 'be more like Shepherd' and not let the lack of gym knock out my workout for the day. So, I grabbed my barbell (25lb, I think it is) that I have here, some of the 10lb plates my partner has for his workout gear and did the following (after warming up, natch. Fun fact: doing bear-crawls up and down my hall scared the bejesus out of my cat!):

10 Goblet squats with 20lb kettlebell

10 Front squats with bar only (25lbs)

Weighted front squats (either power-cleaned or cleaned the bar into the front rack position, since I don't have a rack at home. Womp womp): 1x5 45lb, 1x5 55lb, 2x5 65lb. My max clean/front squat was 85lb, but that was a few months ago and I'm out of practice, so, stayed at 65lb. Then, because why not, I did 2x5 85lb deadlifts, and then 1x10 85lb deadlifts. Theeeeen to get the blood flowing and also, because why not, I did two rounds 'as fast as I could' of 20 burpees and 20 kettlebell swings (20lb KB). Cooled down/stretched. 

Tuesday: Did day 2 of the Zombies, Run. Realized '...wait...I ran Saturday, Sunday, worked out on Monday, and just ran again today...my legs need a break'. Spent an hour on diss work. Had a few moments of 'hey, that's pretty good'...well, and some '....what am I even talking about here???'. Oh well!

Today: wanted to do arms today, but, my alarm didn't go off (because I set it for 5:30pm, instead of AM. Oops). Took day off for legs. They're a little bit stiff/could tell they've been worked, but not too bad.

Plan for tomorrow (Thursday): Day 3 of Week 2 for ZR after work if I can get home in time to run and then get ready to go to a baseball game. I think I should be able to. 

Plan for Friday: Gym in the AM. Since I missed arms so far, will probably do that and then maybe some back squats or deadlifts, depending on how my legs feel. Dinner with a friend after work. 

Weekend: Saturday, probably an off day. Think I'll run on Sunday.

--

So, that's that! I hope everyone else is having a good week 3 so far! :)  

First Challenge

Well, week 3 is almost kicked.

Thursday: Tracked food, wooooo! Annnnd that's about the extent of goals achieved. Work is still a bit of a mess, so I was there late, had to bus instead of walk, didn't get home in time to get a run in before the baseball game, didn't get home from the game until 11, so no diss work. Argh. Also did not get the sleep I needed; I think this might be a goal for the next challenge.

Friday: was at work super early, just before 7, so no gym time. Did get my walk in though! Made sure to walk to where I was meeting a friend after work for dinner, went for a walk on lunch as well, and then friend and I walked around for awhile after dinner. A little over 5k, so, the walk got in. No diss work, home late. Mental health points though for socializing! 

Today (Saturday): Day isn't over yet, so I'll do a end-of-week 3 check-in tomorrow, but, the day started off pretty good - day 3 of week 2 of the Zombies, Run! 5K training app. Got that done with shortly after I woke up, and it went well. During the 10min free-form run at the end of the session, I was able to do a 3min non-stop run, take 2min to walk, another 2min-ish run, 1min walk, then another 2min run. I'm thinking I could string together a longer run if I hadn't already been doing the 30 second run 1-min walk running drills already. I'll find out when I do day 1 of week 3, since it starts off with a 5min walk and then 5min run. 

Going to a museum later this afternoon (yay, dinosaurs!), so will get to the diss work this evening, after dinner. Speaking of food, still haven't eaten any bread or wheat products since July 24th! Dairy happens occasionally, but rarely now, so I think I'm doing well there. I even turned down some spring rolls at lunch last weekend, various cake-type offerings at the family BBQ last Sunday, and then no cake again at a work b-day party thing this past week. 

Just one more week (and a bit) to go! 

• Like 1

First Challenge

"Category 5 Shitstorm" is fantastic.   Congrats on getting through week 3!!! one more week to got!  Congrats on turning down delicious food, sounds like you have points stacked in willpower.  Hope the dinosaurs were awesome--those are my favorite things to look at in museums. 

I have definitely done sleep goals for challenges, or standardized bedtimes, and I've found those have really worked out for me.  There's always more work to do, but it makes getting up a lot easier.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Holy jumpins! Week 4 is almost over! 

So, week 3 ended on Sunday. Sunday was a rest day. Did some diss work, so yay for that! Sill holding strong on the no wheat thing; even with my fave cookies in the house, I haven't touched them. Wooo!

For week 3, I would say everything is a 'check' - save for the diss work. That's still my trouble spot. I didn't get to the gym as often as I was planning, but I have been 'active' consistently, whether it's lifting or running. It's not 100%, but it's still a positive change and a win.

---

Week 4 so far:

Monday: went to the gym in the morning, did 'workout A' of the 5x5 program. After warmup, 5x5 squats at 55lb. Not a challenge at all, but starting lighter than before to build up quicker/safer. Then 5x5 bench, just the bar (45lb), and 5x5 barbell row, just the bar again. Cool down and done. Went for a run that evening after work, day 1 of week 3 of Zombies, Run! It went really well, it started off with a 5min walk, 5min 'free form run', ran for the whole 5min. Then 10min of 1min run/1min walk. That went well. Then an 8min free-form run, 2min stretch, final 8min free-form run. I ran for half of the 8min runs. 

Tuesday: Rest day. Did diss work while I was eating dinner/waiting for my friend to be done work. Got about 45min of work in, huzzah! Went and saw Ghostbusters again (2nd time). Yeeeeah Holtzman! 

Today (Wednesday): Work was a C-5-S again. Ugh. Was in for 7am, so, no gym before work. I did go for another Zombies, Run! when I got home. The temps were in the 90s, I didn't get enough sleep, and ate too little during the day...so it was rough. Of the 5min free form run, I ran for 4min of it, walked for 1. Run drills were fine, walked for pretty much all of the final two 8min runs. Listened to my body, which was saying 'moving is good, but not too quickly!'. Going to eat dinner in a few min, and then get to some diss work. Going to get my arse to bed early...sooooo tired. It'll be another early one tomorrow. 

Now, off to see how others have been doing! It's almost the end of week 4!!! :livid: grrr! 

First Challenge

Whoa; week 4, final week, is almost done! 

Yesterday (Thursday) was a rest day. Food tracking: Check. Avoiding wheat: check. No walk or run, mid-90s and crazy humid. Diss work, check. 

Today: work remains a shitstorm, so, went in for 7am. No pre-work workout. On the upside, I think this has gotten me into a good habit of going to work early, finishing around 3ish, so I can go to the gym after work when it's quiet. I didn't go to the gym after work today, but I did kick my own ass when I got home and did a workout with the weights I have here:

Warmup: 2min jumprope, 25 jumpingjacks, a few bear-crawls up and down the hall, 20 burpees, 20 kettlebell swings (20lb), 10 bodyweight squats, 5-by-5 bar warm up (5 power-cleans, 5 overhead press, 5 front squats, with just the bar, which is 25lb)

Front squat (power-cleaned the bar up into the front rack position): 1x5 at 55lb, 4x5 at 65lb

OHP: 1x5 at 45lb, 4x5 at 50lb

Deadlifts: 1x8 at 135lb (I was only supposed to do 5, but lost count in the middle of the set, so restarted a bit - would have rather do a few extra than not enough. How I lost count when I was only counting to five...clearly, it's the end of the week and my brain is fried!). Thinking back to the last time I did deadlifts (25th of July...yikes!), this is a HUGE improvement! I could do them, but they were a struggle; it felt heavy and I could only string two together. This time, I could do 3-4 together before resting and it didn't feel nearly as heavy. Huzzah!

Plan for tomorrow: will do the final workout of week 3 of the zombies, run! app. Get moving a bit so I'm not as sore from the weights today. It's supposed to pour all day, but hopefully not too bad in the morning. Sunday will be a rest day from workouts, but I want to kill it with the diss work to make up for the days I've missed on it. Oh, and making plans for the next challenge! :livid: *grrrr!* 

Happy weekend-ing!!! 

First Challenge

Time for the end of challenge check-in! 

Yesterday, Saturday, was an enforced rest day...because it pretty much poured all Friday night into Saturday, and all day Saturday. We really needed it though, lots of crunchy grass!  Just as well, really, since it was a pretty intense leg workout on Friday, having a break was likely a good idea. Did the final Zombies, Run! workout of week 3! I'm no runner yet, but I'm getting better.

Overall, I would say the challenge was a success. I tracked food every day, avoided wheat for about 3-ish weeks of the challenge, (still haven't had any since the 24th!) walked nearly every day (if not a walk home from work, it was a walk at lunch, or after dinner, or a run). I did not get to the gym as much as I had planned, but there was only one week that I lifted only once; every other time I lifted at least twice and then ran 3x; that's 5 days of activity a week. Going from 'very little' to that, it's a pretty big win! The most challenging part was doing diss work every day. So, I'm going to re-think that and include it in the next challenge, perhaps amend the plan a bit. But, I have to get this done. 

The downside (not at all the fault of the challenge, more that I got the news during the challenge), I had my follow-up blood work with the doctor yesterday; it's official, Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Booooooooourns! On the upside, I think (?) @spezzy has the same, and she's all sorts of ass-kicking; so there's hope! My TSH levels dropped from November (were at 10.25, now at 8.66), still high though. Free T4 is 15 and Free T3 is 4.5; both within the normal range (so, yay for that). Thyroglobulin antibodies are 23 (normal is below 41, so, higher side of normal, but normal). Now, where it gets fun: thyroid peroxidase antibodies are >1000 , or as the doc said "off the charts" (always was an overachiever!). Normal is 35. Erk. I've been given the lowest dose of Sythroid and will be getting blood work done in about 4 weeks to see if that will lower the TSH levels. I asked about 'what can be done' for the underlying cause (the autoimmune element, which is what Hashimoto's is), he said "nothing, it's genetic" - to which I smirked internally and thought "well, we'll see about that". While I avoided wheat for 3 weeks, I was way more lax with dairy. I suppose I can frame it as the 'one thing at a time' approach, but, considering this official news, I'd best nix that as well. So! Onwards and upwards! Next challenge will likely include something regarding a paleo autoimmune protocol type way of eating (I love ice-cream...but I love not feeling like shit even more!). As for fitness, I don't want to tax myself too hard and create inflammation in the body that way; so, I will stick to something similar that I have no 'be active' 4-5x/week, depending on how I'm feeling. Sleep is def. going to be part of the next challenge as well. 

Congrats to everyone else for kicking ass!!! See you in the next challenge! :livid:

First Challenge