FemmeHawke's Respawn

FemmeHawke

Congrats on finishing the challenge!!  Dissertation stuff is hard, and the fact that you got any done is great.  And it sounds like you did a lot of good exercise which is awesome!  Any improvement is good improvement.  I've been having enforced rest days lately too because it's been so hot here.

I am really sorry to hear about the Hashimoto's!  Also holy hell that is one mega immune response like whoa.  As far as I know it sounds like there's good treatment, but it's just one more thing on your plate.  How do you plan to deal with the genetic/autoimmune component?

Diet changes are really hard, and I know replacing things like dairy can be a challenge.  I can't eat much in the way of desserts, but I have been discovering soy and coconut ice creams and those have been life changing.  I've got some chocolate peanut butter waiting for me in the freezer.  yum yum delicious dessert without causing havoc in my body.  Also there are an amazing number of diet blogs that do paleo desserts--they look delicious enough to make me want to try them!!

Good luck with the sleeping and your next challenge!  sounds like you're taking really good care of yourself and kicking all kinds of butt!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

6 hours ago, FemmeHawke said:

Time for the end of challenge check-in! 

Yesterday, Saturday, was an enforced rest day...because it pretty much poured all Friday night into Saturday, and all day Saturday. We really needed it though, lots of crunchy grass!  Just as well, really, since it was a pretty intense leg workout on Friday, having a break was likely a good idea. Did the final Zombies, Run! workout of week 3! I'm no runner yet, but I'm getting better.

Overall, I would say the challenge was a success. I tracked food every day, avoided wheat for about 3-ish weeks of the challenge, (still haven't had any since the 24th!) walked nearly every day (if not a walk home from work, it was a walk at lunch, or after dinner, or a run). I did not get to the gym as much as I had planned, but there was only one week that I lifted only once; every other time I lifted at least twice and then ran 3x; that's 5 days of activity a week. Going from 'very little' to that, it's a pretty big win! The most challenging part was doing diss work every day. So, I'm going to re-think that and include it in the next challenge, perhaps amend the plan a bit. But, I have to get this done. 

The downside (not at all the fault of the challenge, more that I got the news during the challenge), I had my follow-up blood work with the doctor yesterday; it's official, Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Booooooooourns! On the upside, I think (?) @spezzy has the same, and she's all sorts of ass-kicking; so there's hope! My TSH levels dropped from November (were at 10.25, now at 8.66), still high though. Free T4 is 15 and Free T3 is 4.5; both within the normal range (so, yay for that). Thyroglobulin antibodies are 23 (normal is below 41, so, higher side of normal, but normal). Now, where it gets fun: thyroid peroxidase antibodies are >1000 , or as the doc said "off the charts" (always was an overachiever!). Normal is 35. Erk. I've been given the lowest dose of Sythroid and will be getting blood work done in about 4 weeks to see if that will lower the TSH levels. I asked about 'what can be done' for the underlying cause (the autoimmune element, which is what Hashimoto's is), he said "nothing, it's genetic" - to which I smirked internally and thought "well, we'll see about that". While I avoided wheat for 3 weeks, I was way more lax with dairy. I suppose I can frame it as the 'one thing at a time' approach, but, considering this official news, I'd best nix that as well. So! Onwards and upwards! Next challenge will likely include something regarding a paleo autoimmune protocol type way of eating (I love ice-cream...but I love not feeling like shit even more!). As for fitness, I don't want to tax myself too hard and create inflammation in the body that way; so, I will stick to something similar that I have no 'be active' 4-5x/week, depending on how I'm feeling. Sleep is def. going to be part of the next challenge as well. 

Congrats to everyone else for kicking ass!!! See you in the next challenge! :livid:

Hashi's isn't that bad :)

I'm obviously not a dr - I recommend finding one you realllly like that specializes in this kind of stuff and isn't afraid of alternative medicine (aka - doesn't just put you on a pill and tell you to go away - and wants to look at other sources). 

Something that really helped me personally was doing auto immune paleo super strict and then slowly reintroducing things one at a time. I like the steps outlined here:  https://chriskresser.com/5-steps-to-personalizing-your-autoimmune-paleo-protocol/

Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
On August 14, 2016 at 10:28 PM, spezzy said:

Hashi's isn't that bad :)

I'm obviously not a dr - I recommend finding one you realllly like that specializes in this kind of stuff and isn't afraid of alternative medicine (aka - doesn't just put you on a pill and tell you to go away - and wants to look at other sources). 

Something that really helped me personally was doing auto immune paleo super strict and then slowly reintroducing things one at a time. I like the steps outlined here:  https://chriskresser.com/5-steps-to-personalizing-your-autoimmune-paleo-protocol/

Whoa. I kind of feel like a celebrity of sorts just waltzed in here. :blink: Aaaaanyway! Thanks, Spezzy! Glad to hear that it hasn't been too rough on you. I think I may have over-read all the 'horror stories' of others dealing with it. Then again, they could have been dealing with it for years, or have other complications...who knows. Still, thank you! And, thank you for the link; I've been browsing about his site, but hadn't come across that one yet. 

--

Thanks, Treva! Yeah, seems like my immune system was going crazy with those numbers. But, I'm not too easily discouraged, so I will try the autoimmune protocol paleo; avoiding dairy etc. It's been over 3 weeks now since I've had wheat, which has its moments of 'oh yeah, can't eat that/booo', but, my health is worth it - so I'll give it a shot! You're the second person to mention coconut ice-cream, so I'll have to try it. I'm staying away from soy, but I do like coconut! Thanks for the rec! :)

--

In terms of challenges, time to close the book on this one, and start drafting new challenge goals! 

Alliance Soldier. Interplanetary Combatives Training (ICT): Level N1

First Challenge

Whoa. I kind of feel like a celebrity of sorts just waltzed in here. :blink: Aaaaanyway! Thanks, Spezzy! Glad to hear that it hasn't been too rough on you. I think I may have over-read all the 'horror stories' of others dealing with it. Then again, they could have been dealing with it for years, or have other complications...who knows. Still, thank you! And, thank you for the link; I've been browsing about his site, but hadn't come across that one yet. 

--

Thanks, Treva! Yeah, seems like my immune system was going crazy with those numbers. But, I'm not too easily discouraged, so I will try the autoimmune protocol paleo; avoiding dairy etc. It's been over 3 weeks now since I've had wheat, which has its moments of 'oh yeah, can't eat that/booo', but, my health is worth it - so I'll give it a shot! You're the second person to mention coconut ice-cream, so I'll have to try it. I'm staying away from soy, but I do like coconut! Thanks for the rec! [emoji4]

--

In terms of challenges, time to close the book on this one, and start drafting new challenge goals! 

Hahah not a celebrity :)

I think that one big thing that's helped me is overall attitude. I think instead of thinking about the horror stories and viewing it as a death sentence, it's helpful to keep looking forward and pushing through and celebrating successes and thinking about all the positives. I know it can be hard, but as soon as I would start to think about the negative aspects of it I immediately would start to feel worse. Mind body connection type of thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
On August 17, 2016 at 6:56 PM, spezzy said:

Hahah not a celebrity :)

I think that one big thing that's helped me is overall attitude. I think instead of thinking about the horror stories and viewing it as a death sentence, it's helpful to keep looking forward and pushing through and celebrating successes and thinking about all the positives. I know it can be hard, but as soon as I would start to think about the negative aspects of it I immediately would start to feel worse. Mind body connection type of thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if not a celebrity - then at least an inspirational person/hero of mine (your story was how I found NF! :D)

Life seems to be a death sentence, so, there's that ;) I take the broader point though - focusing on the negative does tend to make things feel worse/becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of thing. So, thank you again! Based on your challenge thread, I'm thinking you're on vacation now. So, hope you're having the fun! 

Alliance Soldier. Interplanetary Combatives Training (ICT): Level N1

First Challenge