• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

So in the saga of 'Elvie Attempts to Graduate from Graduate School'

There was a form my committee was supposed to fill out and submit to the graduate school after my defense. They didn't do it. Seemingly, no one caught this, until my thesis was approved "pending receipt by graduate school of Form X" ... I'd never heard of Form X, so I emailed my adviser. Somehow, he doesn't know either. So then I had to call the civil engineering admin, and ask. Apparently, my committee should have all signed it, and then given it to her. She never got it, so she emails the grad school to ask if they submitted it directly to the graduate school. Graduate school replies: "SCANS. IMMEDIATELY." - aka they didn't get it and they need scans ASAP. Luckily, the admin likes me, and got people to approve stuff and sign stuff, some electronically. But then I hadn't heard anything, so I called the graduate school guy who is my contact, and he was basically like, did you get Email Y? And I had. So he said I can definitely graduate - it didn't say that. Ugh. 

Graduation is Friday.

Sooo many phone calls today, and emails.

Thankfully, it all worked out, and I'M DEFINITIVELY GRADUATING ON FRIDAY!!!!!!!!

Yay :)

I went to the gym this morning, will post later

Ate grapes

Am doing excellent with tracking and duolingo so far this week.

Late Week 2 Summary:

Workouts: 3/3 lifting, 1/2 Other

Tracking to 40g of protein: 7/7

Eat a fruit or veggie: 6/7

Duolingo - 20XP per day: 7/7

In other news, my passport came in the mail today!

I am struggling with some lingering mental health issues (ah, family) that will hopefully be resolved soon. If my parents would just not act like 12 year olds, life would be so much easier. I'm almost done the process of completely separating our finances, but they have to do something to make it happen. I'm not sure they will. *sigh* People.

On the upside, I now have my own health insurance, car insurance,  and as soon as they do the like 5 minute thing (fingers crossed), I will have my own phone plan.

And I NEVER have to talk to them again. This is good.

Side note: For anyone new, who is worried about their kids behaving terribly like me once they turn 23, just don't give your kids the silent treatment. Especially once they've grown out of the practice. It's rude, and irritating. To quote my father growing up "Use your words!" - ironic, isn't it?

• Like 9

FitNotes Workout - Tuesday 2nd August 2016

** Barbell Squat **

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 65.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 85.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 105.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 115.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 125.0 lbs x 4 reps

- 125.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 125.0 lbs x 4 reps

- 125.0 lbs x 4 reps

- 125.0 lbs x 5 reps [PR]

** Overhead Press **

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 55.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 60.0 lbs x 4 reps [PR]

- 60.0 lbs x 2 reps

- 60.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 60.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 60.0 lbs x 2 reps

** Deadlift **

- 135.0 lbs x 2 reps

- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps [PR]

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Only you would decide to hit rep PRs after having already repped that weight for (4) previous sets.  Maybe you thrive on volume, maybe it's maybelline.  I just googled that reference and technically it's older than you are.  Oy.

• Like 6

Only you would decide to hit rep PRs after having already repped that weight for (4) previous sets.  Maybe you thrive on volume, maybe it's maybelline.  I just googled that reference and technically it's older than you are.  Oy.

I didn't think I had it, but then I did!

Also, just went and caught a bunch of Pokemon and am feeling much better.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

I'm almost done the process of completely separating our finances, but they have to do something to make it happen. I'm not sure they will. *sigh* People.

The situation is past my comprehension, but I came from a different country.

And I NEVER have to talk to them again. This is good.

I hear from my parents about once per week.  My sister only checks in when she needs something.  (Having a US address is gold.  So when I visit, it is pretty much guaranteed a bunch of stuff will be arriving in the mail.)  Now that I am on FB, it is just easier to keep up.

Gratz on graduating!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

The situation is past my comprehension, but I came from a different country.

It's okay Sam, I know they didn't have family cell phone plans in the dark ages :P

May have to set a curfew next challenge... I don't think I'm getting enough sleep.

• Like 5

So many things hapenning! The summer of Elven. Big stuff, congrats on graduating officially! And moar PRsss RAAAAWWWRRRR!!!! 

• Like 2

Congrats on actually getting all the stars to align and graduating!!! Seems like everything had been actively working against you there for a while.

Also congrats on catching lots of pokemon and hitting PRs. 

• Like 2

FitNotes Workout - Friday 5th August 2016

** Barbell Squat **

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 65.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 85.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 105.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 115.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 125.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 125.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 125.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Barbell Front Squat **

- 70.0 lbs x 5 reps [PR]

- 70.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 5 reps

• Like 3

1 minute ago, elvenengineer said:

** Barbell Front Squat **

Trying to remember when you were doing front-squats.  I remember you doing hang cleans and power cleans.

How do you like the positioning of the bar?  Used to it yet?

• Like 1

Trying to remember when you were doing front-squats.  I remember you doing hang cleans and power cleans.

How do you like the positioning of the bar?  Used to it yet?

I pretty much stopped doing hang cleans and power cleans when I switched back to 3x a week instead of 5x. I am fixing to switch back to 5x I think, I'll probably write a post about it later :)

• Like 1

FitNotes Workout - Saturday 6th August 2016

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 55.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 65.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Barbell Row **

- 50.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 50.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 50.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 50.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 50.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Shoulder Shocker 1 **

- 10.0 lbs x 8 reps

- 10.0 lbs x 8 reps

- 10.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Shoulder Shocker 2 and 3 **

- 5.0 lbs x 8 reps

- 5.0 lbs x 8 reps

- 5.0 lbs x 8 reps

• Like 3

So, three things. I just went back through my last two challenges, trying to find where I separated into smaller workouts.

1) Guys, I am awesome (I struggle with remembering this, so indulge me). Like, just reading about all the stuff that happened last semester

(I got sick, I had committee members who didn't answer their email, I was exposed to paint fumes and couldn't breathe for like 2 weeks, I hurt my back and was in a lot of pain for a while, I had a nightmare problem that required me to see multiple professionals, and some family nonsense)

And all the stuff that went wrong, and I still graduated with a Master's? And I didn't give up? Craziness. And all of you guys helped so much. I'm really grateful, thanks lots and lots! 

tumblr_mkq3tc7Pdx1qahcb6o4_250.gif

55966-Supernatural-thank-you-gif-dg3W.gi

Kind of puts a lot of things into perspective. 

2) Workout Options, from my last challenge

Option 1:

Workout A: 5x5 Back Squats + accessory stuff? if time permits

Workout B: 5x5 OHP and 1x5 DL

Workout C: 3x5 Back Squats, 3x5 Front Squats

Workout D: 5x5 Bench and 3x5 Power Cleans

Workouts E&F: Yoga and/or Cardio?

Option 2:

Workout A: 5x5 Back squats

Workout B: 5x5 OHP

Workout C: Either: 1x5 Deadlift or  3x5 lighter Deadlifts depending on day (my body seems to respond well to lighter/volume days interspersed with heavy days for DLs)

Workout D: 3x5 Power Clean

Workout E: 3x5 Front Squat

Workout F: 5x5 Bench

-->This is 'light' enough that I could still do yoga/cardio on nights/mornings basically whenever I wanted, but I'd need to take that one day a week as COMPLETE rest most likely, which I should be doing anyway lol

In thinking about that journey, it led me to come up with this plan: 

Option 3 (Lifting):

Monday: 3x5 Back Squats, 3x5 Front Squats 

Tuesday: 5x5 Bench, 3x5 Power Cleans 

Wednesday: 5x5 Back Squats

Thursday: 5x5 OHP, 5x5 Rows

Friday: 3x5 Back Squats, 1x5 OR 3x5 Deadlifts

Option 3 (At the Gym Optional Accessories - time permitting):

Monday: Light Abz/Lunges

Tuesday: Light Abz/Shoulder Shocker/Chin Ups/Moar Bench

Wednesday: Light Abz/Calf Raises

Thursday: Light Abz/Shoulder Shocker/Pull Ups

Friday: ALL THE ABZ

Option 3 (After Work Extras):

Monday: Upper Body Yoga/Walk

Tuesday: Lower Body Yoga/Walk

Wednesday: Upper Body Yoga/Walk

Thursday: Lower Body Yoga/Walk

Friday: Upper Body Yoga/Walk

Saturday: Run OR Rest

Sunday: Full Body Yoga

This is also being input into an excel chart. If it seems over planned, that's kind of the point - I keep getting home at night and debating on what to do so long that I don't do anything. We shall see how it works. I'll keep you updated.

3) I really need to get back to doing PT. Just in case. I'm doing a lot of sitting at work these days. Hence, all the ABZ.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Gratz on this part!  Aren't you so glad it is finally over?

SO SO SO SO SO glad lol :D:D:D 

You were super helpful last time I messed around with programming, any thoughts?

• Like 1

The best workout plan is one that you will actually do

Well I'm doing the current one lol.

Just trying to optimize. (cue groans from the SO about me being an overly stereotypical engineer lol)

Basic thought: I like lifting in the morning (lots of reasons). I'm not willing to sacrifice my social life as much as I was in grad school (mostly because I didn't have one lol). Which means I can't go to bed as early, so my workouts have to be shorter. Only ways to do that are less reps or less exercises. If I stick to three workouts a week, it'll be hard for me to hit all the exercises, so I'm trying to break them up into itty bitty pieces.

In other news, I must have been slacking in my ab work and stretching more than I thought. Felt a little twinge during squats today. Nothing really bad, but I'm going to take it easy this week. I'm proud of myself for stopping, stretching, and going home. And not trying to do front squats or anything else. The bar will be there tomorrow.

FitNotes Workout - Monday 8th August 2016

** Barbell Squat **

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 65.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 85.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 105.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 120.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 130.0 lbs x 4 reps [PR]

- 130.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 130.0 lbs x 1 rep - felt the ouch, reracked, and unloaded.

• Like 5

I'm not willing to sacrifice my social life

Here in MinniBulgaria, there is no choice. :panda:

The bar will be there tomorrow.

It's Happy Hour somewhere!

9485ccd2753b464077c8ae5aeadb7a47.jpg

2d9a0f4aba79f38ec7cd19c26616b8bc.jpg

• Like 7

So, now I injured my calf. Go figure.

I was having pain in my right calf for a couple days. It was weird, but whatever right? It wasn't going away, so I called the 24/7 nurse line of my insurance, and she was like 'go to the doctor in the next 4 hours' - not ominous at all. So I went to the urgent care near my office, and they sent me to the ER. Fun times.

They were worried I had a blood clot, which I do not, thankfully. But now they aren't sure what it is. So. 

Fun times.

I am not in the ER. They discharged me once they determined 'not a clot' and told me to rest and ice it. 

I have a follow up Monday.

It wasn't so bad today, I could walk without wishing I had crutches for the first time in a couple days, so that was good. Hopefully it'll just be a mysterious one off that will go away.