• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kwesadilo

Kwesadilo doesn't get distracted

By the end of last challenge, I had started not to slack off so much on my job search and interview prep, but I really want to light a fire under this thing, so I need to stop getting distracted. To that end, I don't have a running goal this challenge, and my other goals are pretty tame.

Goals

• Lift 3 times a week; keep going with 5x5 on heavy days. My higher-volume workouts take a while, but I am hoping they will show results. This basically takes up all of my Monday evening, so I will have to be diligent about making good use of the rest of my time. I will also have to be diligent about eating enough to support it, but I'm not doing a diet goal, because I don't feel like spending a bunch of time obsessing over a diet change right now.
    • This is worth 3 STR.
  • Do mobility work twice a week. I don't want to lose too much flexibility, but an important side benefit is that this gives me something to get up for on Saturday morning so that I don't waste half the day in bed.
    • This is worth 3 DEX.
  • Do not watch season 4 of Silicon Valley or season 3 of Bojack Horseman or start any new TV shows during the challenge. I just finished season 3 of OITNB, primarily last Saturday, and that was like a day of interview prep time down the drain.
    • This is worth 2 WIS.
  • Perform job seeking activities 8 hours a week. I know that my previous challenges were for 6 hours, and that didn't always go so well. But my habits have gotten a little better lately, and if I want to get ready in a short amount of time, this needs to become the main thing I do besides working and lifting. I hopefully won't become more of a hermit than I already am, so I intend the main casualties of this effort to be TV watching, web browsing, and possibly personal projects.
    • This is worth a whopping 4 WIS and 3 CHA.

See you on the other side.

• Like 1

Week 1 update

• Lifting: Not much to report. I lifted 3 times. Heavy day still takes awhile, although tonight was faster than usual.
  • Mobility: 2 sessions, although one of them was only 10 minutes long. Didn't sleep in on Saturday or Sunday, so that's something.
  • Non-procrastination: I avoided starting any new TV seasons or shows. I only spent a couple hours watching TV last week, and I actually did productive things during dinner.
  • Interview prep: A solid 8 hours and 15 minutes. I had several shorter sessions during the week and a big chunk on Saturday. This is starting to look doable.
  • Like 3

Week 2 update

• Lifting: Lifted 3 times. In addition to the higher volume on Mondays, I think I have been focusing more on bracing lately, which seems to be helping my lifts progress. Actually, I had an interesting experience tonight. I have been working my deadlift back up to where it was after I finished Madcow (320, I think). 2 weeks ago, I did an easy 300x5, but last week, my grip gave out on 305 after 2 reps. My legs were pretty much fine, so I tried 305 again tonight, and my grip gave out after 3 reps. I waited a few minutes and got 1 more rep, but my legs were barely breaking a sweat. I waited a few more minutes, and this time, I made a point to set my lower back correctly for whatever reason. I was able to get 5 reps without much grip difficulty at all. I've heard that your body can block your muscles from going full tilt if your posture is bad to avoid hurting itself. Maybe that's what I experienced.
  • Mobility: 2 sessions, neither very long. Minimal sleeping in.
  • Non-procrastination: I didn't watch any new TV shows, although I did spend a few hours watching old TV shows that I have already watched. I could have used that time to do something productive, but I'm not too bent out of shape, because my week was already pretty productive.
  • Interview prep: 8 hours and 45 minutes, mostly on Saturday.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, kwesadilo said:

Actually, I had an interesting experience tonight. I have been working my deadlift back up to where it was after I finished Madcow (320, I think). 2 weeks ago, I did an easy 300x5, but last week, my grip gave out on 305 after 2 reps. My legs were pretty much fine, so I tried 305 again tonight, and my grip gave out after 3 reps. I waited a few minutes and got 1 more rep, but my legs were barely breaking a sweat. I waited a few more minutes, and this time, I made a point to set my lower back correctly for whatever reason. I was able to get 5 reps without much grip difficulty at all. I've heard that your body can block your muscles from going full tilt if your posture is bad to avoid hurting itself. Maybe that's what I experienced.

Interesting.   

Week 3 update

• Lifting: Lifted 3 times again. I had a similar situation with deadlifts as last week, except this time, my grip magically got better when I loosened my belt a notch.
  • Mobility: 2 sessions, one very minimal. Significant sleeping in, despite this.
  • Non-procrastination: Although I did not watch any new TV shows, I'm docking points for this week anyway. I spent a ton of time watching TV shows and movies that I've already seen, because I didn't feel like working.
  • Interview prep: I only got around 6.5 hours, mostly because of all the time I wasted watching TV.
  • Like 1

I also have a lot of trouble with my grip. Think your experiments are providing interesting data! One thing my coach recently told me to do, that I wasn't doing before, is to make sure the bar is really in the palm of my hand rather than at the base of the fingers (if that makes sense). So the hand position is a little bit different, makes a huge difference to (perceived) grip, though.

Great job on dem goalz!

On 8/10/2016 at 10:49 AM, evabo said:

I also have a lot of trouble with my grip. Think your experiments are providing interesting data! One thing my coach recently told me to do, that I wasn't doing before, is to make sure the bar is really in the palm of my hand rather than at the base of the fingers (if that makes sense). So the hand position is a little bit different, makes a huge difference to (perceived) grip, though.

Hm. You mean like you have the bar against the web of your thumb? I actually used to do that but adjusted to a grip with the bar closer to the base of the fingers with the goal of minimizing bar movement as I left the ground. The rationale I heard was that the bar is going to end up resting on your fingers anyway during pulling movements, and if it doesn't start there, it is going to drag a skin fold with it and cause problematic callous formation. A typically terse and haphazardly shot Rippetoe video: https://youtu.be/9OK-S3ZJZxQ

I have never had serious problems with callouses, but I think they have diminished somewhat since I started gripping lower in the hand. (I also deadlift with the hook grip.)

One thing that I have noticed occasionally in the last few weeks is that my grip will start to slip a little bit near the top on the last few reps of a heavy set of deadlifts. This is a bit unnerving and obviously less than ideal. It may be that I am gripping too far down in my fingers. It may also be that, by using the hook during my warmup sets, and I am not giving my grip strength enough work to stay trained. I should probably use the standard grip until my last warmup set.

Week 4 update

• Lifting: Lifted 3 times. No grip issues with today's deadlifts. I was expecting today to be a rough day generally, because I didn't get to sleep until 1:00 last night, but I was actually alert and engaged all day, and I made all of my lifts this evening.
  • Mobility: Two yoga sessions. I did a different one than usual where I stay in the positions longer. It felt good. Who knows if it makes a difference? I did not do foam rolling this week.
  • Non-procrastination: I avoided watching undue amounts of TV this week, although I still did watch some.
  • Interview prep: A pretty productive week. I got 10 or 11 hours in. I'm down to the wire though. At this point, it has to be whenever I can.
  • Like 2

Belated wrap-up

• Lifting: I lifted 3 times a week all 4 weeks, and I kept doing 5x5 for squat and bench on my heavy days. This seems to have worked out fairly well, and I've continued to make progress throughout and even set some PRs. +3 STR
  • Mobility: I did all my sessions, although some of them were pretty minimal. My flexibility at least doesn't seem to be deteriorating badly. +3 DEX
  • Non-procrastination: I didn't watch any new TV shows, but I did spend a lot of time watching things I've already watched, because I didn't feel like being productive. I'm giving this one 50%. +1 WIS
  • Interview prep: Although I had a week where I didn't make my allotted time, I did make it on average. My interview was on Friday, so I guess I'll know soon whether my work paid off. I'll call this +4 WIS, +2 CHA.