• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shotokan

Shotokan rides that wave

Since the last challenge went just the way I wanted it to, I am going to keep riding that wave and do more of the same this time around.

1 - 50 katas a week

I want to keep doing 50 katas a week since i did see some good improvement from the last challenge. Either Shotokan or Iaido, there has to be 50 katas.

2 - 22 push ups in 22 days to raise awareness of mental health issues for our veterans. 

I was nominated to do 22 push ups each day for 22 days to help raise awareness of mental health issues that some of our veterans are having. If any of you are on Facebook and would like me to nominate you. please send me a message.

I will still try to keep my three workouts a week going but the push ups for a cause are the main focus: I need some more muscles. I am not looking to get big like I was a few years ago but some more definition and a size wouldn't hurt. I also have a workout partner, who needs to train, so I have some extra motivation.  I have also been doing Tai Cheng after each workout and it is really helping.

3 - 250 Karate techniques a week.

Instead of doing 50 each day, when I get in the groove of doing these techniques, it is hard to stop. 

Extra credit. Read a book at least five times each week.

I really enjoy reading and the current book I am reading needs more attention. I am only 98 pages into Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win and would like to finish it by the end of this challenge.

Life goal: More work on my business, at least an hour a week.

I made some good headway last time and I have been spending a lot time learning new ways to code the websites I am building and i would like to keep that momentum. 

Edited by Shotokan
Change number 2 goal

I didn't realize that the challenge started yesterday but luckily, I did get in workout, Tai Chi, three Shotokan katas along with five Iaido katas and some time reading.

Monday:

Another workout, Tai Chi again, work on my website coding, three Shotokan and five Iaido katas along with some reading and about an hour working on the website.

Shotokan!

Yea, the Sunday start day for some of these challenges throws me.

Glad to see you back.  And that's a lot of kata and techniques.  I'm sure you'll fit them all in!

• Like 1

Tuesday went very well. Lots of Karate techniques in class, well over 100 but 100 sounds like a good round number. Six katas in class and five Iaido katas at home. I read the book and got some really time in on the business.

Wednesday didn't go as planned. I started with the next group of routines for Tai Cheng but it didn't go too well. I ended up doing something to my leg while working on the foam roller and stopped. I was still able to get in five Shotokan katas and five Iaido katas even though my right leg and hip wasn't working well. Some more reading and more work on the business today. 

Today went better than yesterday. I was able to get through the new Tai Cheng workout, did my first day of 22 push ups, (changed goal above), eight Shotokan katas and 10 Iaido katas finished out the workout. Time for some reading and then I will look at my eyelids for few hours.

Nice! Looking good over here. Given how well everything went last time, I can't blame you for riding it out. Shoot, you could argue that's all I've been doing too. :D

• Like 1

On 7/22/2016 at 11:28 PM, Kishi said:

Nice! Looking good over here. Given how well everything went last time, I can't blame you for riding it out. Shoot, you could argue that's all I've been doing too. :D

+1

Sometimes we just need to ride and accept where the wave takes us :P

• Like 1

Friday and Saturday didn't go as planned with not much more than five each of Shotokan and Iaido katas and the 22 push ups a day. With this challenge starting on Sunday this time, I though I would have another day to catch up. I ended up getting in more than 50 katas for the week, only about 150 Karate techniques, two lifting workouts, so far, I am on schedule with the push ups, some good reading and a good amount of time working on my business.

Things started to get back on track on Sunday. I was able to get in 60 Karate techniques, six Shotokan and five Iaido katas, a good upper body lifting workout, Tai Cheng, 22 push ups and some reading. 

Off to a slow start thiHopefus week but Tuesday really picked it. 

Monday consisted of six Shotokan and five Iaido katas along with 22 push ups and some reading. 

Tuesday was an awesome training day. Karate class went really well with at least 200 Karate techniques and seven katas. Before class I did the 22 push ups and five Iaido katas after class. I also read a bunch of pages in my book before bed.

Wednesday is an easy workout because of getting worked on by my chiropractor this morning. Five Shotokan and five Iaido katas along with 22 push ups. Not getting home from work until 8 didn't help much either but hopefully some reading before bed and a little work on my business.

Today's workout was legs, hips and forearms along with some other fun stuff. Five each of Shotokan and Iaido katas along with 50 Karate techniques. Some light reading tonight and then it's time to prepare for another 12 hour day a work, again.  I am very grateful to have a job but I really need to figure out this whole work / life balance thing.

• Like 1

The last few days didn't go as planned but I was still able to get in 22 push ups each day, some kata and reading. 

I finished up last week meeting almost all my goals except for work on the business but I did get in an hour with a consulting client so it turned out good overall.

This week didn't start too well. I spent too much time working on the yard on Sunday and ended doing a bunch of farmers walks with 30 pound bricks along with moving and carrying a bunch of bags of mulch. I am counting that as my workout for Sunday along with the 22 push ups and only two katas.

Monday didn't go well at all. Late Sunday night, I when I went to bed, I ended up with really bad chills, maybe from being in the sun too much. I didn't get any sleep and had to be work early and then didn't get home from work until 14 hours later. Needless to say, I was sore and tired so all that happened was two katas along with the 22 push ups and some reading.

Today was better. I was still stiff from Sunday and not doing Tai Chi since last week but Karate class went well and I ended up with 150 Karate techniques. Three katas in class and some kata at home will finished it out along with some more reading. I did get a small amount of time in on the business too. 

Tomorrow is another day, right?

• Like 1

Today went much better than the last few days but it really took a lot out of me.

I started out with a set of barbell complexes. Deadlift, clean, front squat, overhead press, bent row and toe raises with a 45 pound bar for 3 sets of 8 reps. After that came Tai Cheng, then 6 Shotokan katas along with 10 Iaido katas, 22 push ups and some reading.

I haven't done complexes in a while and they were really tough even with the light weight. 

• Like 1

Another good workout day. 22 push ups started it out some band work for the upper back and delts, Tai Cheng, 8 Shotokan katas and 10 Iaido katas, somewhere over 100 Karate techniques and some reading to finish off the day. 

There is so much good happening here, and as you've no doubt implied, I'm struggling with the work-life balance too. :D And I've been meaning to beg you to tag me to join in on the 22 push up challenge, but I haven't, because I'm lazy and undisciplined.

Way to keep things strong over here!

• Like 1

On 8/7/2016 at 3:57 PM, Kishi said:

There is so much good happening here, and as you've no doubt implied, I'm struggling with the work-life balance too. :D And I've been meaning to beg you to tag me to join in on the 22 push up challenge, but I haven't, because I'm lazy and undisciplined.

Work has been wearing me down but I was still able to finish last week with all goals intact and even beat some of my numbers that I was aiming for. 

You are the last person in the world that is lazy and undisciplined!  With all the stuff you have going on, I don't know how do so much.  

I would certainly tag you for the 22 push ups if you want me to.  Tomorrow is day 22 for me.  Even with all the work hours, I was still able to do them every day, even at 11:30 pm some nights. It has become such a habit now, I might keep doing them on a regular basis. The funny part is, doing them on camera really makes me keep my form up.

• Like 1

Monday's workout was a new hip and glute combination of five movements for five sets of 10 reps that I put together along with 22 push ups, Tai Cheng, six Shotokan katas along with 10 Iaido katas and some reading.

Tuesday was Karate class with well over 200 techniques, along with 10 katas. then 22 push ups, five Iaido katas, consulting work and reading.

Today was the hip/glute workout, 22 push ups, three sets of 10 reps of batwing band pulls, Tai Cheng, six Shotokan katas and five Iaido katas. Some reading tonight will finish off the day.

I don't know if my chest is bigger from the push ups but it certainly makes my stomach look much smaller. :)

• Like 1

On 8/7/2016 at 4:57 PM, Kishi said:

Uhhhh... can I have in on this, too? >.> <.<

Everything is looking awesome, Shotokan!

• Like 1

This challenge turned out good again. This time I was able to hit all my goals except for the time on the business although I did spend a good amount of time consulting for a client. 

The only bummer is, yesterday was the last day of the challenge and I ended doing 1000 Karate techniques today for my clubs annual kick for cures event.  I already have a few goals for the next challenge and wish it would have started today.