• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

a3aafded3b556779a35eccb4a87f2810.jpg

Wakfu is getting a season 3 airing this year!  It won't be available with English subtitles until sometime later but I am still excited.  So, theme.  I am also going to be on vacation for half of this challenge, with a week in Ottawa and a split week at home before and after the trip.  I'm not sure but this may be my longest vacation in 10 years. 

Images may or may not be relevant :-)

JPHqWnk.gif

Maintenance goals:

Judo when available - classes will be irregular this summer

Stick to budget, track expenditures

Walk 70k + steps per week

Keep a day/evening off per week to spend at home

Get out once/month - Cousin's Wedding, does vacation count?

tumblr_ng0rco5pmX1u3quaso6_400.gif

Cardio with Apps

• ZombiesRun once per week, especially now that we have a group.
  • Run at least one mission with Ingress
  • Run around with Pokemon Go

This will work for going to Ottawa as well, and I may be able to get my Mom to go out with me on a walking mission.

Bonus:  Drag the guys out with me on a mission or Pokemon catching jaunt.  This will help when it arrives.

tumblr_noz38wuW0A1ttr70ko1_500.gif

Seriously Try the Kettlebell

• Kettlebell 2-3x/week while I'm home
  • Find a weight of some kind at Mom and Dad's place, if i feel like it.
  • Supplement Yoga if inclined

cd22IM.gif

Explore Media from More Countries

Most of my media comes from the USA, Britain, and Japan.  I don't even consume as much Canadian media.  Already owned/easily accessed media includes:

• Big Book of Science Fiction -  Short Stories, includes some from non-Western countries
  • The Enchantment Emporium - Canadian, by Tanya Huff!
  • Music on Youtube
  • Finish 1st season of Dark Matter  - Canadian
  • Wakfu - France
  • Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - Australian
  • Charlie Jade - co production between several countries, set in South Africa
  • Short films?
  • The Three Body Problem - Chinese, by Cixin Liu

Bonus:  work on French in Duolingo

tumblr_n3jk6q2n9a1sqr7kvo1_500.gif

Keep Food Budget Down (continued)

• Pick up less treats - good for me anyway
  • Get basic meat and veg from Victory - cheap and local
  • Bulk supplies from Costco but only what I need
  • Incorporate more black beans and a little less protein
  • Use slowcooker

Rock on everyone.

Only+wakfu+gif+i+have+that+is+metal+_be1

• Like 4

14 hours ago, BlackTezca said:

I like this challenge!  The exploring new media one is very awesome!  I can't wait to see what awesome treasures you find!

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/oh_bunnychan/Random%20Awesome/squee.gif

Thanks!  There's so much stuff out there, it seems like a shame to miss out on things made from a different perspective and culture.  I've heard a number of people state that they won't listen to music that isn't in english or similar things and it bugged me some.  So this seemed like a good idea.

So cute!  What is that gif from?

Cardio with apps: 

• I reached 89k steps last week from wandering around with Ingress and a bonus walk up the hill for a kettlebell.  I took a rather indirect route home to visit some portals and ended up walking for an hour with 15 lbs extra in my backpack with my usual stuff.  Cool.
  • Sunday:  Got in my weekend run.  5.3 km in 35 min.  I reached 5k at 32 min.  There were some early traffic lights so I think I can shave that down to 30 min with a different route.

So my media list was missing a book I just got through the new Tor ebook club:  The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu.  It's one of the biggest Chinese science fiction novels in recent years and was translated to English a bit ago.  I asked one of my coworkers from China to help me learn to properly pronounce the author's name, because screwing up someone's name always seems very disrespectful.  Fail so far.  The initial sound is not something we have in English and I'm struggling with it.  Poor guy.  That was probably painful. 

On a similar note, I have asked Naxius to provide feedback on my French as I learn it.  I don't think he grasps how bad this may end up...  Wakfu will help with that as well.  I live in the officially bilingual province of a bilingual country.  I should be up to basic conversational French.  Not so much right now.

The plan for this evening:

• Get home
  • snuggle cats (priorities)
  • Kettlebell
  • dust
  • make supper and food for work tomorrow
  • whatever I feel like - media, read, hang out with people if available, video games

What is not on that list?  Facebook and Reddit, at least until I hit the whatever I feel like part.

• Like 2

Nice challenge goals, as usual. Are we really coming up on three years of NF? It seems shorter.

Good to see that you are getting out and doing fun things. I've been hearing a lot about Ingress and Pokemon Go. Elf is a big Ingress fan. I decided to check it out, only to learn that my phone is not smart enough. Probably a good thing for me not to add another activity. I'm hoping to do more biking in my free time, not more walking.

I've read some of Tanya Huff's earlier books and enjoyed them. I had no idea I had missed so many. I'll have to request some from the library.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mistr said:

Nice challenge goals, as usual. Are we really coming up on three years of NF? It seems shorter.

Good to see that you are getting out and doing fun things. I've been hearing a lot about Ingress and Pokemon Go. Elf is a big Ingress fan. I decided to check it out, only to learn that my phone is not smart enough. Probably a good thing for me not to add another activity. I'm hoping to do more biking in my free time, not more walking.

I've read some of Tanya Huff's earlier books and enjoyed them. I had no idea I had missed so many. I'll have to request some from the library.

It's a bit surprising, isn't it?

Awww, too bad.  Ingress is a lot of fun.  I suspect PG will be as well, once the servers are reliable.  I will say that neither are good for maintaining a good pace while walking.  Hmm, are there any cool story apps for cyclists?  Something like ZombiesRun?  Or would you be interested in that?

She's fairly prolific.  I really like most of her work, and she mentioned my city in one of her books!  We exist!    Hope you can get them from the library.

The plan for this evening:

• Get home
  • snuggle cats (priorities)
  • Kettlebell
  • dust
  • make supper and food for work tomorrow
  • whatever I feel like - media, read, hang out with people if available, video games

What is not on that list?  Facebook and Reddit, at least until I hit the whatever I feel like part. So I rules-lawyered this one.  Worked late, then briefly vegged in front of the computer anyway.  Youtube and the news aren't Reddit and FB.  Still not what I planned on doing when I got home.

Kettlebell

I stretched before warmup.  It's part of my workout routine and I've been neglecting it lately.  Warmup felt better with the bell.  The third exercise was satisfyingly crunchy.

Swings - getting a feel for the form with weight.  Transitions need work.  I wasn't gassed out after they were done.  I could probably swing more than 15 lbs, but I'm just as happy to sort out form with the lighter weight. Also, less chance of losing it on a swing and wrecking me, a cat, or my apartment.

TGUs - 1 with a sneaker to check balance, 1 each side with 10 lbs dumbbell to test, then 5 each side with Isla (see below).  They were a little wobbly  so this weight is likely fine for now.  I *could* use more but I would indeed be worried about screwing up.

After stretches plus some back bends and bridge work.  Bridge work felt stronger than in the past.

As naming the kettlebells seem to be a thing and amuses me, I'm naming my first one Isla.  Largely because I'm kind of at this stage of training with it:

tumblr_o9fdhteSFB1uf4gs9o1_500.gif

Sound track for the evening:

Infected Rain (Romania) - not a big fan but some of it is good. 

E Nomine (German) - cheat, since my brother introduced me to them ages ago.  I like them but it was a limited project. 

18 hours ago, Mistr said:

Are we really coming up on three years of NF?

Man, you ladies are old hats at this point. ;)

On 7/18/2016 at 11:51 PM, Teirin said:

This will help when it arrives.

And yea, PG is a total battery drain, so when I go out specifically for pokemon catching, I bring by slightly obnoxious power brick.  Best choice I made when I first started, because it added a little extra weight to my ruck (have I mentioned I'm usually rucking as I catch pokemon?) and saves me the hassle of worrying about my battery.  Most excellent.

Good challenge, as always!

• Like 2

On 2016-07-20 at 0:53 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Man, you ladies are old hats at this point. ;)

And yea, PG is a total battery drain, so when I go out specifically for pokemon catching, I bring by slightly obnoxious power brick.  Best choice I made when I first started, because it added a little extra weight to my ruck (have I mentioned I'm usually rucking as I catch pokemon?) and saves me the hassle of worrying about my battery.  Most excellent.

Good challenge, as always!

Pretty much.  

Yep, I'm bouncing between it and Ingress and my battery level just falls.  Data usage is pretty low.  Data caps here are low and I'm keeping a close eye on that.  The battery pack is also useful in power outages/emergencies and that helped to justify it as well.  30 CAD is a very reasonable price for emergency supplies that are also usable for PG/Ingress antics.

The plan for last night was to hang out at home and get some baking done since it was cool and the next few days are going to be rather hot.  Then I got a notice for a building viewing today.  I'd planned on doing a few chores as well but the evening was taken over by chores and baking.  The apartment is pretty clean and I have banana blueberry bread and protein egg muffins.  Cooked rice is on hand for fast meal prep.  Baking cuts down on my grocery bill so I will count that as challenge related. 

Naxius was by to hang out so that was nice :-)

I did manage to take over a few Ingress portals on the way home.

Work is all paperwork all the time right now.  I'm trying to make my desk not look like this:

3ZlohlR.gif

The plan for tonight is kettlebell and kitty snuggling.  My budget needs a bit of updating.  Early to bed!

Had the quiet evening I was supposed to have last night.  there's another viewing tomorrow but all I needed to do was take care of some dishes.  Read a bit,  snuggled cats, listened to some Kalafina, and am heading to bed on time if not early.  Hit level 5 in Pokemon Go and went Team Mystic.

• Like 1

Man, I always forget how pretty Wakfu is. And the French dub is pretty great, although they tend to go really fast, and I don't know if I buy the emotional punchlines they're going for, but, eh.

Anyway, no shame in working on technique with lighter weight. It is time well-spent.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kishi said:

Man, I always forget how pretty Wakfu is. And the French dub is pretty great, although they tend to go really fast, and I don't know if I buy the emotional punchlines they're going for, but, eh.

Anyway, no shame in working on technique with lighter weight. It is time well-spent.

It is very pretty.  English dub you mean?  It's a French show.

Kettlebell this morning.  It was really humid so I did use my gloves for the swings.  I know this is Forbidden, but I was worried about losing Isla from having wet hands.  There is some hand stuff for grip and I will look into obtaining some.  I did 10 TGUs each side and was feeling pretty good afterwards.  I was considering my thought on not being gassed out after the last workout and remembered that he'd said that it wasn't intended to drain you.  So that's encouraging.

Plan for the afternoon is to camp out on a park pokestop on blankets.  We will hangout, catch pokemon, and work on projects/cosplay stuff.  Sounds nice.  Not quite was I planned for a challenge bonus but it's still getting a few of the guys out so I am quite pleased.

Edit:  i went out for a wander to collect pokeballs and walk the egg.  41 balls, no pokemon (really?), and found a new entry to walking trails along the river!!!!  I will try that out tomorrow when I go for a run.  I love finding new things nearby.  I had no idea there was a mini park on that side of the museum :-)

• Like 1

My phone is not compatible with Pokemon Go!  I cannot test-drive the new hotness. :(

That sounds excellent.  Is Wakfu streamable?

54 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

My phone is not compatible with Pokemon Go!  I cannot test-drive the new hotness. :(

That sounds excellent.  Is Wakfu streamable?

Awwwwwww, that sucks!  It is lots of fun.

It's on Netflix in Canada.  I'm not sure if it's on Netflix in the US or one of the services that we don't get here.  Youtube has the original eps with no subtitles, or the English dub. 

Cardio with apps:

Ran this morning.  Could've gone better.  I tried the new route and, given that it was along the waterfront and a very open area, there was almost no shade.  5.3 km in 35 min again.  Heat and humidity was high and I was just not moving as fast.  Better next time.

The lure party in the park went well yesterday.  One of our more inclined to hermit friends even went!  Big win!    We hung out in the park, I worked on stuff, and met a guy who dropped in to join in the catching fun.  We're going to try going for a walk later and hanging out at a different park maybe.

Bringing down the food budget:

I've bring trying some different pasta recipes and it's been working quite well.  The one yesterday was pasta, onions, garlic, a bit of olive oil, large tomato, basil, oregano, and some Parmesan cheese.  Tasted good, cheap to make (except the cheese), and quick to put together.  Win.

Ingress had a big event in Tokyo and I was largely unsurprised to see there was a GoRuck presence there.  They're pretty compatible.  I need a new backpack, and I may make it a ruck backpack.  I do enough walking in general that adding some weight to it would be fine as long as it sits well.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2016 at 0:18 PM, Teirin said:

It is very pretty.  English dub you mean?  It's a French show.

It is a French show, and the when the French do the voices, it's a French dub. Or at least, that's how I learned to think of these things.

Also, love that GoRuck has a presence in the ARGs. :D

On 7/23/2016 at 0:18 PM, Teirin said:

Edit:  i went out for a wander to collect pokeballs and walk the egg.  41 balls, no pokemon (really?), and found a new entry to walking trails along the river!!!!  I will try that out tomorrow when I go for a run.  I love finding new things nearby.  I had no idea there was a mini park on that side of the museum :-)

You know, I feel like outside of that first week, I don't see as many pokemon as I would expect.  When I went hiking through the reservation near me I caught some (maybe 5-6?), but it was a 5 mile hike.  Through the woods.  I hit almost no pokestops (which may be my fault for tresspassing onto town land like everyone else does), and no decent pokemon for the most part.  And a walk the other day would have been kinda worthless without me hatching a few eggs and catching one awesome pokemon. 

But yea, the "Oh here's a pokestop, what's it exactly - Oh, that.  That's cool" is a nifty thing.

12 hours ago, Kishi said:

At this point it's rarer for me to NOT wear my ruck when catching pokemon.  A 3 mile walk with 45ish pounds on my back?  Definitely not terrible.  Training FTW!

• Like 1

Getting out in a park with friends, gaming and working on projects sounds like a perfect Saturday afternoon. I admire you going running in hot humid weather. I would just run to the lake and not come out.

I hope your building is sold soon so that you can have your apartment to yourself.

On 7/24/2016 at 9:53 PM, Kishi said:

It is a French show, and the when the French do the voices, it's a French dub. Or at least, that's how I learned to think of these things.

Gotcha.  Technically, a dub (in the context of language in recorded media) is replacing the original voice/sound track usually for language/localization.  The original version is not a dub, only the ones with replaced voices.  I thought that you meant that the French wasn't the original.  I'm somewhat pedantic at times,

It fits so well!  Seeing so many people out and playing is awesome.  The parks have been full here lately :-)

On 7/25/2016 at 10:56 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

You know, I feel like outside of that first week, I don't see as many pokemon as I would expect.  When I went hiking through the reservation near me I caught some (maybe 5-6?), but it was a 5 mile hike.  Through the woods.  I hit almost no pokestops (which may be my fault for tresspassing onto town land like everyone else does), and no decent pokemon for the most part.  And a walk the other day would have been kinda worthless without me hatching a few eggs and catching one awesome pokemon. 

But yea, the "Oh here's a pokestop, what's it exactly - Oh, that.  That's cool" is a nifty thing.

At this point it's rarer for me to NOT wear my ruck when catching pokemon.  A 3 mile walk with 45ish pounds on my back?  Definitely not terrible.  Training FTW!

Interesting.  It would make sense if they were mostly in more populated ares, but aren't the rare ones supposed to be in less accessible areas?  This calls for testing.

yep, found a mini-museum that I need to check out.  Finding more things around town is great.

Training FTW! 

On 7/25/2016 at 2:36 PM, Mistr said:

Getting out in a park with friends, gaming and working on projects sounds like a perfect Saturday afternoon. I admire you going running in hot humid weather. I would just run to the lake and not come out.

I hope your building is sold soon so that you can have your apartment to yourself.

It was fun!  We're going to make it a regular thing for a while.

The river is a bit nasty.  I wouldn't really recommend it :-)  There are better places to swim here.

Last week listed.  They put it in for a limited time.  One more viewing tomorrow and hopefully that's the last of it.  They would have been happy to sell it, but I'm glad to keep good landlords. 

6 hours ago, Twilight said:

tumblr_n5ilzvIDzb1tyb1poo1_500.gif

Excellent :-)

Things are not going so well right now.  Work is stressing me out.  I'm trying to get enough done that I can leave but the paperwork keeps piling up higher.  I think I really need the time off.  I'm hoping to get a kettlebell session in tomorrow. 

Meals are going well and I've been getting cheaper things and cooking more.  That being said, I got behind in my tracking and spent way too much on groceries this month.  Tracking is caught up, and I will do better next month.

Off to bed now.

Except for work, it sounds like things are going well for you. Don't stress too much about work, everyone that I know, including me, is having a rough time at work for some reason or another. Put what already happened behind you and don't worry about things that might never happen in the future. 

On 7/28/2016 at 8:21 AM, Twilight said:

Paperwork multiplies exponentially. It's like tribbles.

^^^^^This.

Separate it into piles. That slows down the reproduction rate. Put big rocks on them to make them hold still.

I hope things at work calm down soon and you can take the vacation time you need to destress.

On 7/28/2016 at 0:01 AM, Shotokan said:

Except for work, it sounds like things are going well for you. Don't stress too much about work, everyone that I know, including me, is having a rough time at work for some reason or another. Put what already happened behind you and don't worry about things that might never happen in the future. 

I am not good at separating work from the rest of life and it is very bad for my stress levels.  Thanks for the advice :-)  I really am working on it.

On 7/28/2016 at 10:21 AM, Twilight said:

Paperwork multiplies exponentially. It's like tribbles.

It does.  So many stacks...

On 7/29/2016 at 4:43 PM, Mistr said:

^^^^^This.

Separate it into piles. That slows down the reproduction rate. Put big rocks on them to make them hold still.

I hope things at work calm down soon and you can take the vacation time you need to destress.

I possibly have a short term recent paperwork stack, a medium term paperwork stack, and the currently hidden from sight long term paperwork stack.  It's...bad.

It's better now that I'm on vacation and got some sleep.  I was really not handling last week well.  Getting back will probably not be fun.

Am now on vacation and relaxing.  I was already overdue for some hermitting but after being social yesterday the need to hole up by myself was very high today.  So I did, except for a trip to the local meat and veggies place.  That one counts under reducing the grocery budget.  Video games and calls with friends and Mom filled the rest of the day.

Monthly get out and be social:  My cousin's wedding was yesterday and that went quite well.  The couple were so happy and surrounded by friends and family who love them.  It was good.  I don't know them as well but it was good to get out and see everyone. 

Cardio with apps bonus:  There is an Ingress event in Ottawa on Saturday that I will try and attend.  GoRuck is more involved than it initially appeared.  They organize events with Ingress.  That's cool.

Very cute:  http://i.imgur.com/7mkjRG9.gifv

Plans for tomorrow:  run, bake sweet potato biscuits?, Pokemon Go lure party with friends at a park, game night.

• Like 2

Yay vacation!  Sometimes some hermitting is called for.

Oh man, sweet potato biscuits.  I wish making food weren't so time-consuming.