• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The sweet potato biscuits are pretty awesome, and quite easy to make.  Definitely recommend.

Have been mostly slacking off in Ottawa.  Lots of sleep and hang out time.  Lots of baked goods too.  I've been eating extra sweets, but I only have access to really good sweets that I do not have to make when I visit.  I have no regrets.  Soft bread, strawberry cheesecake squares, and butter tarts were worth it.

Cardio with apps:

Got in a run a few days ago.  4.88 km in 37 min.  Boo.  OTOH, I was in a largely unfamiliar area with very few sidewalks and I was rather cautious.

Bonus:  went for a Pokemon walk with my brother, his girlfriend, and another friend.  That was fun, but involved rather more resting than I expected.  One of our number was an asthmatic on a bad day who doesn't walk much.  So it was good that they went :-)

Kettlebell:  Nada.

Groceries: Not great.  Am on vacation and got bakery goodies.  I'm still under budget but will see how the rest of the month falls out.

Media:  I've been listening to a South Korean Kpop band called Fx.  They're fun.  Otherwise, not a lot of media consumption of late.  I did get Mom and Dad to watch the 1996 Ghost in the Shell movie :-D  They enjoyed it. Moon is next on my list.  They got me to watch RED, which was quite funny.

• Like 2

Back home.  Had some fun at the Montreal airport :-) Ran a short Ingress mission and hit most of the Pokestops within the security area at least once.  Someone had a lure up and the gyms were changing hands frequently.

So, I've had some trouble with back stiffness, then pain.  I saw a massage therapist yesterday and apparently my back is very tight.  As in, my shoulder blades are supposed to be mobile.  Not so at present.  Also, the problem shoulder has a huge knot tucked in behind the shoulder blade, where my shoulder pain frequently shows up.  She worked over the my back pretty well yesterday.  It was not fun but it felt better for a while.  It's going to need at least one more session and she'll check and see if I need a chiropractor instead for the mid-back spot.  It looks like not, but she wanted to see how it settles out over a week.  I have some home maintenance exercises with a foam roller to do.  Will see what it's like for sleep and how bad it is in a week.

Back to work tomorrow.  For one whole day, then weekend.  The office only called me once while I was on vacation.

• Like 2

I suggest this to everyone with that sort of shoulder pain, because for me this was the only thing that helped, but I have had that sort of tightness in one of my shoulders, sometimes so bad I can't get the muscle to release more than briefly, and magnesium gel on the muscle was the answer.  Some of that gets the muscle to release and chill the fuck out.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2016 at 1:03 AM, sarakingdom said:

I suggest this to everyone with that sort of shoulder pain, because for me this was the only thing that helped, but I have had that sort of tightness in one of my shoulders, sometimes so bad I can't get the muscle to release more than briefly, and magnesium gel on the muscle was the answer.  Some of that gets the muscle to release and chill the fuck out.

Great, thanks.  I'm watching out for it.  I find it a bit disturbing that I don't even register how tight my back is until someone starts poking at it.

On 8/12/2016 at 4:53 PM, Twilight said:

Good luck getting your shoulder blades sorted!

Thanks!

having an interesting weekend.

• Ran today, beset by technical difficulties.  About 6000 steps. 4ish km.
  • Foam rolling daily, and doing the recommended shoulder stretches.
  • Still in budget for groceries and I've been making some good but cheap meals.
  • Work was fine on Friday, though we had a supplement shill in the office for a presentation.
  • We watched The Martian Friday night and the first 2 eps of Stranger Things on Saturday.  Both excellent.
  • We were out for a Pokemon lure party today.  It was really nice.

The big news:  I left the Judo club today.  It's been building for a while and I decided that it was time.  I'm not planning on leaving the martial arts.  I've told the other instructors and the 3 parent reps but haven't spread the news to the rest of the club or Facebook in general.  I tried to pick the best time and make it as little drama as possible.  I hope they're ok with it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Teirin said:

The big news:  I left the Judo club today.  It's been building for a while and I decided that it was time.  I'm not planning on leaving the martial arts.  I've told the other instructors and the 3 parent reps but haven't spread the news to the rest of the club or Facebook in general.  I tried to pick the best time and make it as little drama as possible.  I hope they're ok with it.

O_O

Whaaaaat!?!?

O_O

Are you actually going to share the reasoning with us? Because holy crap. 

O_O

6 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

O_O

Whaaaaat!?!?

O_O

Are you actually going to share the reasoning with us? Because holy crap. 

O_O

It's been more stress and less fun of late, and I realized that I was not looking forward to the next year starting.  Balancing work, Judo, and other things is part of it.  My schedule is very fixed and I've been finding it increasingly grating recently.  I need my hobbies to be a little less rigid right now.  Volunteer burnout is likely also involved.

There are some complicating factors that I'm not going into here.  I've come close to leaving before but decided to stay.  This time, I decided that it was time to leave.  I do also want to try other things. 

So, only sort of an explanation.  I will note that when more negative things happen involving other people from easily identifiable groups that I spend time with, I am less likely to post about them.  That makes this more unexpected here.

• Like 2

I think you know I understand the whole "identifiable people I don't mention a lot" thing. :)

But gotcha. Hopefully the break and less negative things can clear and you can find a new place to practice. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Teirin said:

It's been more stress and less fun of late, and I realized that I was not looking forward to the next year starting.  Balancing work, Judo, and other things is part of it.  My schedule is very fixed and I've been finding it increasingly grating recently.  I need my hobbies to be a little less rigid right now.  Volunteer burnout is likely also involved.

There are some complicating factors that I'm not going into here.  I've come close to leaving before but decided to stay.  This time, I decided that it was time to leave.  I do also want to try other things. 

So, only sort of an explanation.  I will note that when more negative things happen involving other people from easily identifiable groups that I spend time with, I am less likely to post about them.  That makes this more unexpected here.

More stress than fun is a sign. I hear you on that. I'm facing the same choice with dancing. No drama, thankfully, but plenty of schedule conflict. You have been doing a lot of teaching and not much practice with your Judo classes.

Sorry about the implied drama in the unseen parts of your social circle. Good that you got to spend fun time with your family and get away from that for a bit. I hope you can find a new balance that works better for you.

12 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I think you know I understand the whole "identifiable people I don't mention a lot" thing. :)

But gotcha. Hopefully the break and less negative things can clear and you can find a new place to practice. 

Yep, you totally understand :-)

I hope so too.  I'm considering trying a different art, if a place would be ok with me not being there for every class.  Not going to do that for a bit though. 

5 hours ago, Twilight said:

Wow, big steps!

I'm still figuring out some of the implications.  Yeah, big step.

5 hours ago, Mistr said:

More stress than fun is a sign. I hear you on that. I'm facing the same choice with dancing. No drama, thankfully, but plenty of schedule conflict. You have been doing a lot of teaching and not much practice with your Judo classes.

Sorry about the implied drama in the unseen parts of your social circle. Good that you got to spend fun time with your family and get away from that for a bit. I hope you can find a new balance that works better for you.

I have no idea how you get so much done.  Seriously.  You get so much done.  Could you alternate weeks between dancing and Aikido?  Or is that HERESY? (I know what RP's answer would be).

Yeah, teaching is definitely part of being a senior student but I wish I was getting more training as well.

Thanks, it's going to be interesting for certain.

One of the side effects is that I honestly have no idea what I should do for challenges and guilds in the near while.  I won't be Monking for at least a while.  I'm going to spend some time thinking on what I want to do.  Maybe just battlelog it for a bit?  I plan on keeping up with running, and do want to work with the kettlebell.  Tentative rucking plans may wait until I see what's happening with my back.  Back maintenance is likely to be a goal.  Meditation, especially since breathing exercises were recommended for loosening my back up.  Maybe get back into yoga? 

There are so many things I've put off because I didn't have the schedule space for longer than a summer!  Maybe joining (casually) a knitting night, book club, or a class to take, or something that I do not absolutely have to be at every time.  I haven't read much other than comfort-read manga lately.  That would be good.  I want to get out to art and museum events more in general. 

My cats really appreciate me being home more in the summer.  I need to maintain that time with them too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Teirin said:

I have no idea how you get so much done.  Seriously.  You get so much done.  Could you alternate weeks between dancing and Aikido?  Or is that HERESY? (I know what RP's answer would be).

My problems with dancing are not so much that it takes time, but when it takes time. Dancing is mostly on Sunday evenings except for big events. That means I get to bed late on Sunday and start the week short on sleep. I've been getting to work early on Mondays for weapons practice. The aerobics studio with the high ceilings is open Monday mornings but not other days. I preferred Wednesday mornings. Unfortunately, other people did too.

The second problem with dancing is that it actively makes my feet worse. It does not do my knees any good either. Having sore knees disrupting my sleep combined with an early morning is a bad start to the week.

18 hours ago, Teirin said:

One of the side effects is that I honestly have no idea what I should do for challenges and guilds in the near while.  I won't be Monking for at least a while.  I'm going to spend some time thinking on what I want to do.  Maybe just battlelog it for a bit?  I plan on keeping up with running, and do want to work with the kettlebell.  Tentative rucking plans may wait until I see what's happening with my back.  Back maintenance is likely to be a goal.  Meditation, especially since breathing exercises were recommended for loosening my back up.  Maybe get back into yoga? 

There are so many things I've put off because I didn't have the schedule space for longer than a summer!  Maybe joining (casually) a knitting night, book club, or a class to take, or something that I do not absolutely have to be at every time.  I haven't read much other than comfort-read manga lately.  That would be good.  I want to get out to art and museum events more in general. 

My cats really appreciate me being home more in the summer.  I need to maintain that time with them too.

You could make a challenge (or several) of trying things out and seeing how you like them. @sarakingdom has stayed with the Monks even though she does not currently have any martial arts specific goals. Stay here and do whatever you want. No one is going to try to kick out a Judo blackbelt. :D