I have no idea where this post belongs but it is only tangentially fitness related at best and long hair is not a women's only issue so here we go:

I have been growing my hair out for the past couple of years and it has become long enough to go past my shoulders. This means that, occasionally, when I roll around at night I somehow end up pulling my head and neck back by my hair with my shoulders.

It's not painful but I do wake up sore from being in an odd position all night, and generally speaking I would like to not wake up sore from sleeping (waking up sore from a workout is different). 

My hair is very thick and heavy (I am the envy of my sister, mother, and every hairstylist I meet), but this means that if I braid it, when I roll over it often whacks me in the face, waking me up. My hair is long enough that a pony tail does not eliminate the shoulders problem, and a bun makes many sleeping positions uncomfortable. 

Aside from cutting my hair off, does anyone have any suggestions for this? I've read a few posts with workout hairstyles and while they do seem great for workouts, I would rather not sleep with my hair pinned up or tied back tightly. 

Have you tried a French plait/braid? It tends to swing less than a regular English one.  Still on a braid theme, if you make one above each ear, you can pin them up milkmaid-style, if your length allows it.  Otherwise, a top-knot (bun right on the top of your head) should allow you to assume any sleeping position.

Good luck, it can be done! :)

• Like 1

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

I'm going to follow this with great interest. My hair is down to the bottom of my shoulder blades at this point, and, while it doesn't cause me troubles once I'm actually asleep, it can often wake me up when my other half has rolled onto it...

I have yet to be able to successfully braid my own hair (drawbacks of not having to deal with long hair until my 30s: not having years of experience), and my boyfriend doesn't know how to do it well, either. I'm afraid that wouldn't work, either, as it would probably just look like a swinging rope for the dogs while still being as liable to get caught under my boyfriend.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My Character and Epic Quest

My current Challenge

Previous Challenges: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Once your braid is long enough, the point is to flip it over your pillow towards the headboard - that way your hair is contained and out of the way.  Some people have very nicely behaved hair and can just flip it without braiding it first.  Sleep cap is definitely an option, but I never tried it.  Similarly, some people manage to pack their hair into a Buff for sleeping.

@imprimis5, I only grew my hair in my thirties too, but by now I have more than 10 years experience of sleeping dealing with hip to classic length.  Practice makes perfect! ;) 

• Like 1

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

I have crazy long hair and boy, do I know the pain. The upkeep in general; ie. washing it, drying it (groaning at the mere thought of how long it takes to blow or air dry) and styling it can be such a pain; but that sleep one is a tough one. I have a few styles at my arsenal that I can use to keep my hair up (and thus out of my face) at night; I try to switch them around just because mine is quite long and thick, so it avoids pulling on certain points constantly. Not sure how well these will work for your hair-length/type but I'll just throw a bunch out there;

* Tie my hair in a topknot, and then bobby pin it into a flat bun from there

* A dutch plait (in my experience, tends not to get pulled loose in my sleep either - score!)

* Plait into two or three french plaits and then to avoid rolling onto those in the night, twist each against the nape of your neck and bobby pin them into place - again, you can bobby pin it quite flat against your head, so hopefully it wont feel too tight

* A halo braid; that's the kind of do I'll rock if I'm going out - and know I won't be home in a state well enough to sort my hair again before bed, haha!

I think a bunch of these would work or shorter hair if you use bobby pins too. 

Best of luck! :D 

• Like 1

Stella   ::   Sprightly Elf   ::   Level 1

Me!      ::    Battle log       ::   Challenge

I usually wear my hair in a high ponytail even to sleep; I very rarely pull it (but almost never sleep flat on my back, which the ponytail holder would make uncomfortable).

• Like 1

Level 1 NPC Assassin

Strength: 2Dexterity: 0 Stamina: 3 Constitution: 1 Wisdom: 4Charisma: 0

Current Quest  |  Previous Quest Current Stats

Weight Loss Goal: 40 of 116 lbs; 296 to 180

{progress='1e90ff'}34.5{/progress}