• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AugustaAdaByron

Ada's no thoughts challenge

I've played Magic a few times. I don't have my own deck but I played with a mish mash of my SO's cards. The best tip I can give is find someone who is super into Magic the Gathering and have them help you sort your cards into a workable deck. Without the experience of playing it is really hard to just use intuition to sort out what you need for a good deck. 

Also, I love that you are posting vids. You rock and are inspiring!

• Like 1

Someone sent me two links with full instructions about deck construction but in very general terms. I'll just sort all the cards when they arrive and then I will try to apply everything I've read. I'll definitely lose for some time but then I should be able to figure out how to create a decent deck.

I'm entertaining the thought of cutting again!

I've started to hate not having any control over my weight, or actually not feeling that I can gain control easily. I'll try to bring my own lunch at work from now on since half of the group will be on holidays soon. See if I can make it into a habit that I'll be able to sustain later on.

• Like 2

fight-gif.25615

As easy as a butterfly!

I believe this is Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin (he's the corner man) in "At War With the Army"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wildross said:

I believe this is Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin (he's the corner man) in "At War With the Army"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So many movies I have to watch, so little time to watch them. Yet the list keeps growing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Has anyone evert tried to cut with a size goal instead of a weight goal?

Meh, kind of? Size is always my goal cause fashion. Weight and numbers never really behave the way I expect so I tend to go by jeans lol

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Meh, kind of? Size is always my goal cause fashion. Weight and numbers never really behave the way I expect so I tend to go by jeans lol

Going by clothes is probably better than going by weight, in general.

What I meant was, if you had stubborn areas who you were quite sure that they would be the last ones to lose fat from would you keep cutting until you made it happen?

Something like

12479346_1519603055035359_1765926210_n.j

13 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

For me, the struggle is real.

It is! I have no idea what to do this weekend.

Although I'm determined to buy a bike today after work so maybe I could bike around the city.

57931840.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Has anyone evert tried to cut with a size goal instead of a weight goal?

I am pretty sure @Waldo bases when he is done cutting by tape measurements. He looks at not only waist but finds wrist measurements to be accurate for him. 

I find tape measurements really useless for me unless I've lost like 2 inches because my abdomen is all off because of some loose skin and then also surgeries. It's hard to get an accurate measurement. But if you get consistent measurements I think that is an awesome way to go. 

What I meant was, if you had stubborn areas who you were quite sure that they would be the last ones to lose fat from would you keep cutting until you made it happen?

So, is this more of a loss vs gain thing? Cause I guess that comes down to priorities, but even if you do want to cut, it's not like you can do it indefinitely (or you'll end up with metabolism problems like me :P) So it would probably come down to some sort of cycle, a balance/push pull of cutting fat and building lean muscle. Is this something you can talk to your coach about? Maybe there's a way you can incorporate it so it helps push all of your goals in the long run.

• Like 3

Something like

12479346_1519603055035359_1765926210_n.j

That meme XD

Personally, no, but aesthetics aren't my main goal (and I'm a long way from the "last stubborn bits of body fat" -- maybe my perspective will change in 10 kg).

It would also depend a lot on how much I'd have to lose to get the desired definition -- if 5 lbs --> abs, that's not so bad. If I had to cut down to single digit body fat %, though (see point #3) -- hell no.

Again, though, that's a personal decision -- once I get back to a healthy and comfortable walk-around weight, I'd much rather focus on the lifts.

• Like 1

Aesthetics isn't a goal of mine either. That's also why whenever I try to cut I end up thinking "No, I'll stay in maintenance and hope I'll get stronger". It's more about not seeing any progress this way and getting frustrated. I saw a form check video last night, not included in the one posted here, and I was really disappointed. I'm thinking I've lost track and I'm not trying hard enough (or at all) diet-wise. Then I get even more frustrated. :/ 

The scale has me at 29-30% of body fat at the moment, which seems accurate, so also far from the "last stubborn bits of body fat". That's why I'm thinking of doing a cut based on size and based on the frustrating parts, where the size doesn't go down. Based on previous experience however, unless I now have measurably more amounts of muscle, I might have to lose ~20lbs which should bring me to about 123-125lbs at 5'6". But that seems to me too drastic while at least maintaining my 1RMs.

Aesthetics isn't a goal of mine either. That's also why whenever I try to cut I end up thinking "No, I'll stay in maintenance and hope I'll get stronger". It's more about not seeing any progress this way and getting frustrated. I saw a form check video last night, not included in the one posted here, and I was really disappointed. I'm thinking I've lost track and I'm not trying hard enough (or at all) diet-wise. Then I get even more frustrated. :/ 

The scale has me at 29-30% of body fat at the moment, which seems accurate, so also far from the "last stubborn bits of body fat". That's why I'm thinking of doing a cut based on size and based on the frustrating parts, where the size doesn't go down. Based on previous experience however, unless I now have measurably more amounts of muscle, I might have to lose ~20lbs which should bring me to about 123-125lbs at 5'6". But that seems to me too drastic while at least maintaining my 1RMs.

That's understandable that you're feeling frustrated. By "not seeing any progress," do you mean body composition wise, or also in the lifts?

It sounds like there could be a happy medium between "go abs or go bust" and your current focus, perhaps by not only by dialing in on diet, but also recovery components, like sleep and stress, that affect body composition and also lifting progress (not sure if the latter are an issue for you or not). And it doesn't need to be all-or-nothing results wise, either -- even if you don't lose the full 20 lbs you estimated, maybe 5-10 lbs would get you to a more comfortable maintenance place?

I think RedStone makes a good point about the gaining-good-weight side of body composition, too. I remember jdanger had a good post about body composition and heavy lifting in the Training Yard, including how heavy you need to be lifting relative to your body weight in order for lifting to really help with body composition (if you scroll down a bit I clarified his opinion re: female lifters specifically). I'm not sure where you are right now, but it might take some more time and more pounds on the bar to start seeing good progress (physically) at maintenance. But, as he says later, it is a hard pill to swallow.

Anyway, all this is just brainstorming, so feel free to take it or leave it... I'm still figuring things out myself and trying to undo the damage done by this past year's health fiasco XD.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alanna said:

That's understandable that you're feeling frustrated. By "not seeing any progress," do you mean body composition wise, or also in the lifts?

I mean the lifts too but not to the same extent. I knew from the beginning of the year that the main focus would be technique and hope for some gains which is also a hard pill to swallow. I've given up on triple digit squat, 300 wilks or any other lifting goals I had for this year too (which means it'll take me at least 3 years to reach them and seems like very slow progress). Also, I've gained some weight which has lower my wilks even more.

It sounds like there could be a happy medium between "go abs or go bust" and your current focus, perhaps by not only by dialing in on diet, but also recovery components, like sleep and stress, that affect body composition and also lifting progress (not sure if the latter are an issue for you or not). And it doesn't need to be all-or-nothing results wise, either -- even if you don't lose the full 20 lbs you estimated, maybe 5-10 lbs would get you to a more comfortable maintenance place?

Abs were just an example. Both sleep and stress are issues but nowhere near where they used to be. 10lbs would be a good start. I should probably make it a mid-goal and then reevaluate. 

I think RedStone makes a good point about the gaining-good-weight side of body composition, too. I remember jdanger had a good post about body composition and heavy lifting in the Training Yard, including how heavy you need to be lifting relative to your body weight in order for lifting to really help with body composition (if you scroll down a bit I clarified his opinion re: female lifters specifically). I'm not sure where you are right now, but it might take some more time and more pounds on the bar to start seeing good progress (physically) at maintenance. But, as he says later, it is a hard pill to swallow.

Yes, I'm not as strong as I should be for the workouts to be hard enough. And having gone on a deload again to work on form makes them even less challenging. Thanks for the link, I read all of it. He also says that if weight loss should occur it should be at the beginning. 

Anyway, all this is just brainstorming, so feel free to take it or leave it... I'm still figuring things out myself and trying to undo the damage done by this past year's health fiasco XD.

Thank you very much for taking the time to discuss my thoughts and write such a detailed answer :) 

I think I'll just go on a cut after this program ends, I'm thinking something like 1800kcal on rest days and 2000-2100kcal on gym days.

On a happier note, I did buy a bike and had a 50min ride back home (for 9km :P). I may have gotten lost at the beginning but I survived being in traffic and remembered how to ride it (although the first 2minutes I tested the bike at the store I looked ridiculous).

This is the bike

pegasus-28-opero-sl24-trap-weiss-2016-(1 

and this is the helmet

limar-545-grau-schwarz-mtb-helm-d.jpg 

• Like 2

I mean the lifts too but not to the same extent. I knew from the beginning of the year that the main focus would be technique and hope for some gains which is also a hard pill to swallow. I've given up on triple digit squat, 300 wilks or any other lifting goals I had for this year too (which means it'll take me at least 3 years to reach them and seems like very slow progress). Also, I've gained some weight which has lower my wilks even more.

Abs were just an example. Both sleep and stress are issues but nowhere near where they used to be. 10lbs would be a good start. I should probably make it a mid-goal and then reevaluate. 

Yes, I'm not as strong as I should be for the workouts to be hard enough. And having gone on a deload again to work on form makes them even less challenging. Thanks for the link, I read all of it. He also says that if weight loss should occur it should be at the beginning. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to discuss my thoughts and write such a detailed answer :) 

I think I'll just go on a cut after this program ends, I'm thinking something like 1800kcal on rest days and 2000-2100kcal on gym days.

On a happier note, I did buy a bike and had a 50min ride back home (for 9km :P). I may have gotten lost at the beginning but I survived being in traffic and remembered how to ride it (although the first 2minutes I tested the bike at the store I looked ridiculous).

That sounds like a good plan :). I think my lifting goals for this year are all in terms of body weight, so I need to get my weight back down to hit them. *checks battle log* Yep, a body weight bench is one of my 2016 goals... DEFINITELY need to cut XD. So, baring another health fiasco, cutting will also be my focus for a least another few months, and you'll have a cutting buddy to share in the misery*.

*the misery of ignoring the "eat moar, lift moar" call

*Also switches to happier note* Nice bike! I've heard Germany has really good roads for traveling via a bike - wish I could say the same for where I currently live...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alanna said:

That sounds like a good plan :). I think my lifting goals for this year are all in terms of body weight, so I need to get my weight back down to hit them. *checks battle log* Yep, a body weight bench is one of my 2016 goals... DEFINITELY need to cut XD. So, baring another health fiasco, cutting will also be my focus for a least another few months, and you'll have a cutting buddy to share in the misery*.

@Sam Ashen and I will have to pick up the slack unless he gets put on some, crazy no-carb, Soviet-gulag diet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grymm said:

@Sam-Ashen and I will have to pick up the slack.

We'll just lift vicariously, k?

That said, I fully intend to embrace a "eat less, lift moar" motto for as long as I can!

• Like 2

Just now, Alanna said:

That said, I fully intend to embrace a "eat less, lift moar" motto for as long as I can!

Oh, I meant eating.  I'm not going to be covering anyone else's lifting.  You'd need @wildross for that.  He moves tonnage.  I just eat tonnage.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grymm said:

@Sam Ashen and I will have to pick up the slack unless he gets put on some, crazy no-carb, Soviet-gulag diet.

I have no idea what is coming, but I kind of get the impression she does not approve of IIFYM. :(

So.  Coming up.  Soviet-gulag diet.

63624630.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Alanna said:

*Also switches to happier note* Nice bike! I've heard Germany has really good roads for traveling via a bike - wish I could say the same for where I currently live...

Just checked the "Letter of Intent" mini-challenge so I'm copy-pasting: 

This year's plan (as far as I'm aware):

• Try not to overthink
  • Technique is still going to be the number one priority
  • 90/60/120 (kg) should be attainable strength goals for this year which at 63kg would give me a wilks of almost 290 so for extra challenge let's round it up to 300
  • I don't intend to compete (ever) but I will submit 1RMs to the Leaderboards and might participate to one of the virtual NF comps if possible

Yup, technique. Technique has indeed been number one priority. The lifts haven't moved at all though. I tried a 52.5kg bench two weeks ago and it didn't go up. Also I woke up 66.1kg today. Maybe I can go down to 60kg first. 

Yes, Germany has very good roads for travelling via a bike. Of course, I need to find out which roads these are because yesterday coming back from the bike store I ended up in one of the roads with the biggest traffic and without a bike lane. (I've grew up in Greece, I'm not afraid of traffic. Although technically that should mean I should be more afraid of traffic.)

8 hours ago, Grymm said:

6 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I have no idea what is coming, but I kind of get the impression she does not approve of IIFYM. :(

So.  Coming up.  Soviet-gulag diet.

63624630.jpg

@Grymm Will you pick up @Sam Ashen's slack as well? I'm pretty sure that picking that many persons' slack will lead to you 

8 hours ago, Grymm said:

Oh, I meant eating.  I'm not going to be covering anyone else's lifting.  You'd need @wildross for that.  He moves tonnage.  I just eat tonnage.

moving the tonnage of @wildross too.

8 hours ago, Alanna said:

Lifting vicariously it is! I'll join in the motto, too!

• Like 3

I may have been overexcited about the bike.

I did 18km more today after doing deadlifts in the morning (8 sets of 3 at 70%, I'll upload the video later). I found as an excuse that the bolt that kept the seat post in place needed tightening. That being said, I may have to buy a wrench and a few other tools to keep close just in case. 

Also, my magic cards arrived today.

Ocqo9dY.jpg

Usually for biking, a set of travel allen keys and a phillips head screwdriver is a good idea.  Then, if you go a something like 10km from home, a set up for changing a tube - spare tube, frame pump, a couple levers to get the tire on/off.  I don't carry a setup because the farthest I'd ever be from my truck, home, or work would be maybe 2 miles and my bike weighs maybe 15# tops.  I could lock the bike up and come back with my truck to get it or walk the bike home.  I haven't had any issues with the bike seat sliding and I'm sure I put more load on it than you do (almost 2x).  

• Like 1