• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Torch

Dan's pre-wedding challenge

August 13th is my wedding day. Since I'll be spending most of the time between now and then at the future in-laws' place helping with wedding prep, I'll need other stuff to occupy myself so I don't get fed up :P

Therefore, the challenge goals:

1) Martial arts:

My dojo is on summer break, so to prevent rust, training every day (with the wife-to-be or alone) and working on tweaking the teaching for after the summer. The curriculum could do with being a little better organised, so I'll be tweaking the drills and making class plans in addition to the physical training.

2) Meditation:

Been working a lot on this lately, for the challenge I will meditate every day, first thing in the morning if possible. Goal is 30 minutes, minimum 12 minutes a day.

3) Tango

Wife-to-be is big into Tango, so I need to get up to speed for the wedding dance. Therefore, practising every single day, time variable. Probably mostly in the evenings, when it's less hot.

4) Projects

Have two big projects I am working on, which could be completed in the timeframe, which is now the goal. To do this, I will work on at least one, preferably both of them every day.

Optional bonus:

- Bodyweight workouts 3 days a week

- Have 5 books on my reading list with me, whatever I can get through in the time.

Nutrition is not a factor, it's largely out of my hands and in any case we will be consuming mostly fresh vegetables from the garden and grilled meat :)

• Like 1

Nice challenge!  Not so over reaching that you'll burn out, but super progressive.  Nice!  

3 hours ago, DanTien said:

Nutrition is not a factor, it's largely out of my hands and in any case we will be consuming mostly fresh vegetables from the garden and grilled meat :)

This sentence makes me jealous.  I need more fresh veggies and grilled meat in my life.

Also aikido and dancing.  I therefore need to summon @Mistr here.  For reasons.

Hi Dan!  I'm happy to meet another aikidoka in the Monks. I do meditation (Zen) and dancing (Scottish Country Dancing). I'd like to learn tango. So much style and cool factor. B)

You have good, clear goals. I hope your time with your in-laws goes smoothly. Wedding planning is a lot of work. You might have opportunities to put your aikido blending and conflict resolution skills to work in a non-physical context.

• Like 1

I do neither aikido or dance, but think your challenge looks good anyway and wish you the best of luck! How's the first week been?

On 20/07/2016 at 5:56 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

This sentence makes me jealous.  I need more fresh veggies and grilled meat in my life.

Perks of summer in Eastern Europe :)

On 21/07/2016 at 5:48 PM, Mistr said:

I do meditation (Zen) and dancing (Scottish Country Dancing). I'd like to learn tango. So much style and cool factor. B)

Scottish Country Dancing is nice, got a chance to try it occasionally while I was at uni there :) I'd like to learn Tango too, unfortunately I, so far, mostly suck. But that's part of the process I guess.

First week has been a mixed bag. We were still on the road the last few days, arrived at 3am today, so time got taken up with travelling and sightseeing.

The good: Did get a few meditation sessions in, 30 min and 12 min as planned. Did manage martial arts practice for a little bit every day, working stances, weight shifts, arm positions and playing with some internal leverage. Short sessions and solo work only so far.

What could be better: No Tango so far, we'll get round to this now that we've arrived. Also work on the projects has been underwhelming, need to pick this up to be able to meet the goal to finish.

24 minutes ago, DanTien said:

Perks of summer in Eastern Europe :)

Touche.

I really would like to shop at farmers markets around me more, but cost wise it isn't really an option right now.  Though I should stop being lazy and break my grill out.  It's probably about to rust apart, but I should be able to get a few decent meals off of it.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2016 at 8:11 PM, Kishi said:

How's the rest of the challenge gone so far?

Depends. I didn't quite hit my goals, if I didn't have a wedding in two days I'd feel bad about it. But as it turns out arranging a wedding takes a big chunk of time and energy, who would have thought, right?!?

For the individual bits, this is how it's gone:

Martial arts practice has been pretty consistent, managed at least a short session every day and improved class structure for the future. Happy with this.

Meditation went well the first half, then I dropped the ball the last week or so. Not done anything consistent since then. This could have gone better.

Tango didn't work every day, but it's been very regular, including some longer sessions and the outcome is pretty good, I think I'll manage not to look like a tool on Saturday, which was kinda the point :P

Did consistent daily work on one of the projects, which is going well, although it won't be completed by the wedding as planned. Been neglecting the other one, but I think I was overly ambitious trying to do two at once. I'll tackle it once the first one is complete.

• Like 1

Good job on your first challenge! Putting on a wedding is a major undertaking.

What would you like to build on or change for your next challenge?

6 hours ago, DanTien said:

Depends. I didn't quite hit my goals, if I didn't have a wedding in two days I'd feel bad about it. But as it turns out arranging a wedding takes a big chunk of time and energy, who would have thought, right?!?

as someone who is just over 2 months out from a wedding, takes a lot of time, but have fun with it! make sure and take some time just the two of you the few days before, day before and day of. even if it's just a few mins, take some time let it sink in. 

also something will happen, do your best to not stress over it (my family didn't tell me half of what happened until after), its all a good laugh after, even if its not right then

and congrats!!!!!

• Like 1