• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Slates

Where my Marathoners at?!

36 posts in this topic

Looking for distance programs. I'm on a current one that has me focus on pace, distance, speed pick ups, hill efforts, HR focus and mobility on different days (5 runs or so a week with different focus, 2 mobility exercise days). 

 

After this 10 week program I'm looking to keep this up and possibly try to push into marathon and ultra marathon territory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a half marathoner if that counts. Got 2 under my belt and presently in Marathon training but will drop down to the half marathon group as soon as(IF) the girlfriend cries uncle.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any programs you recommend? I'm on one right now that's actually pretty great but after I'm done with it I wouldn't mind experimenting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Slates said:

Any programs you recommend? I'm on one right now that's actually pretty great but after I'm done with it I wouldn't mind experimenting!

If you want to seriously run them and want major PRs, I'd go with private coaching from Jason Fitzgerald at http://www.strengthrunning.com. If you are going for the experience and want a pleasurable group training experience, I'd look at my local Fleet Feet. That's who I run with. Kind of fun to do your training runs with 100 like minded people. You break off into pace groups and make a lot of friends. It's a really great experience for not much money.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dilnad said:

If you want to seriously run them and want major PRs, I'd go with private coaching from Jason Fitzgerald at http://www.strengthrunning.com. If you are going for the experience and want a pleasurable group training experience, I'd look at my local Fleet Feet. That's who I run with. Kind of fun to do your training runs with 100 like minded people. You break off into pace groups and make a lot of friends. It's a really great experience for not much money.

 

I'm actually 'borrowing' a program that was bought specifically OCR and integrating that with a squat every day one for a hybrid 'destroy your legs' program haha. 

 

I might join my local Fleet Feet group too, but have a couple buddies that do easy 5 milers a few times a week. Just looking for things to work on my own to get faster while building more endurance as well. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you guys find any more technical stuff to throw into the mix?  I'm training for a half in November and I'm trying a marathon again (after failing at mile 5) in May. 

 

So far I've been building miles and just plodding along at a 9+ minute per mile pace.  I want to start doing some more technical work for the next 4 week challenge to try and bring my time down while still building up miles.  All I've done so far is hit a few hills at random.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interval training, hill sprints, sprints and endurance work all work together. 

 

Run program helped me. I just DNFed a major race (missed the last time hack by 15 minutes at the 28th mile :( ) but I wouldn't have been able to get that far without improving my endurance running. I plan on keeping up this training and killing the same race next year. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm still not officially a marathoner but we are now up to 20 miles on our Half Marathon training. This will be my GF and my third Half. We didn't want to drop down to a 4 mile long run when we started the fall training program so we started our training with the marathon group planning to drop back down when the half marathoners got a bit longer on their runs. For some reason we never stopped  and dropped and ended up doing the 20 mile run the other day with the 22 miler coming in 2 weeks. We just don't have a marathon to run until the last weekend in April. Nearest one is the Indianapolis Monumental first week of November but with us going to Florida next week, there isn't enough $$$$ left for a hotel in Indy plus entry fees.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I just failed a run by getting pulled (missed a time hack by 15 minutes :( ) but that was at mile 28. So....I'm kinda one now? 

 

Either way, I have my first ultra (50k!) Nov 6 :) I'm just running and recovering right now nothing crazy but will step up my game next week. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2016 at 9:15 AM, Dilnad said:

We didn't want to drop down to a 4 mile long run when we started the fall training program so we started our training with the marathon group planning to drop back down when the half marathoners got a bit longer on their runs. For some reason we never stopped  and dropped and ended up doing the 20 mile run the other day with the 22 miler coming in 2 weeks.

 

I bet you're going to crush that half.  If it works out you might as well start training for a 50k and sign up for a marathon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I bet you're going to crush that half.  If it works out you might as well start training for a 50k and sign up for a marathon.

We want to. The only one near us is 100 miles away and we can't swing the hotel. Got a Disney trip next week lol. We will definitely run the Kentucky Derby Festival marathon in April.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dilnad said:

We want to. The only one near us is 100 miles away and we can't swing the hotel. Got a Disney trip next week lol. We will definitely run the Kentucky Derby Festival marathon in April.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

 

I didn't know the Derby HAD a marathon.  My wife is a horse person so I might be able to talk her into that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mike_d85 said:
 

I didn't know the Derby HAD a marathon.  My wife is a horse person so I might be able to talk her into that.

Oh yeah...

http://derbyfestivalmarathon.com

It has little to do with horses other than being part of the festival. It does however run through the infield of Churchill Downs which is kind of cool. We did the Derby Mini this year and got to do that. This years swag rocked too.  Botht the shirts and the medals had a Louisville Map with the race course laid out on it.

 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And screw it. We want our 26.2 stickers!!

 

Hi Michael, this is your registration confirmation for CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, November 5, 2016 8:00 a.m

 

Look for the bib that says (wait for it) Dilnad!!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:32 PM, Slates said:

Any programs you recommend? I'm on one right now that's actually pretty great but after I'm done with it I wouldn't mind experimenting!

Are you looking for a personal running coach or a training plan?  I have always stuck with Hal Hidgon's plans and have done well.  I am in training for my first marathon now, have several halfs under my belt and still love hitting the weekend 5ks.  I think you could probably pick any well known trainer's program and simply level up through them.  Most will have plans from novice through BQ.  I do know this - to get faster, I had to strictly adhere to the speed work and hill runs in the plans.  For that I went all in (well, for me that is because I HATE organized running - I just get out and start running and am happy to arrive wherever my feet carry me) and actually found a really nice local high school track to use for the speed work.  I also implemented the Spartan WODs and worked them into the training plan where I could. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Poetic_License said:

Are you looking for a personal running coach or a training plan?  I have always stuck with Hal Hidgon's plans and have done well.  I am in training for my first marathon now, have several halfs under my belt and still love hitting the weekend 5ks.  I think you could probably pick any well known trainer's program and simply level up through them.  Most will have plans from novice through BQ.  I do know this - to get faster, I had to strictly adhere to the speed work and hill runs in the plans.  For that I went all in (well, for me that is because I HATE organized running - I just get out and start running and am happy to arrive wherever my feet carry me) and actually found a really nice local high school track to use for the speed work.  I also implemented the Spartan WODs and worked them into the training plan where I could. 

This is exactly what I'm doing. I just DNF'd the VT UB at the 28th mile (missed the hack by 15 mins :( ) So this year is full of the Ryan Atkins training program and a couple ultras I signed up for so I'll be able to comfortably finish it next year. (Well comfortably finish time wise. Not a single part of that race was comfortable) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slates said:

This is exactly what I'm doing. I just DNF'd the VT UB at the 28th mile (missed the hack by 15 mins :( ) So this year is full of the Ryan Atkins training program and a couple ultras I signed up for so I'll be able to comfortably finish it next year. (Well comfortably finish time wise. Not a single part of that race was comfortable) 

Snarf!!!!  Oh boy do I hear that, my friend.  Sorry to hear about the DNF.  I have yet to experience one having snuck by just by the hair on my chiny-chiny-chin.  Let me know how you like Atkins' program.  I think I read in RW that Meb has a program out too????  I like him.  I'm kicking around purchasing his book, Run Like Meb, simply because it cracks me thinking that my little 5'1" top-heavy self could ever "run like Meb."  What are you doing diet wise??? 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Poetic_License said:

Snarf!!!!  Oh boy do I hear that, my friend.  Sorry to hear about the DNF.  I have yet to experience one having snuck by just by the hair on my chiny-chiny-chin.  Let me know how you like Atkins' program.  I think I read in RW that Meb has a program out too????  I like him.  I'm kicking around purchasing his book, Run Like Meb, simply because it cracks me thinking that my little 5'1" top-heavy self could ever "run like Meb."  What are you doing diet wise??? 

 

 

I eat clean, carbo load with bananas and sweet potatoes the week leading up to it and then poptarts, marshmellows, gels and trail mix for the actual run. Which UB have you done? I'm taking training tips left and right :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 miler done(and uninjured) and we begin tapering this week. I guess this is really gonna happen!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it looks like I will not become a marathoner this season :(

My mother is terminal and the hospice doctor predicts she will pass by tomorrow.  I will be home in New York this weekend and unable to run a marathon in Indy. I guess I'm on hold until the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon in April. Mom and family are more important than running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dilnad said:

Well it looks like I will not become a marathoner this season :(

My mother is terminal and the hospice doctor predicts she will pass by tomorrow.  I will be home in New York this weekend and unable to run a marathon in Indy. I guess I'm on hold until the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon in April. Mom and family are more important than running.

 

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  Be safe traveling and make sure your family is taken care of first.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can now (as of yesterday) officially call myself a marathoner!!

It was ridiculously hard. Definitely needed some walks, nearly dehydrated and genuinely wishing for death the last 6 miles (cackle) but damn was it worth it!!

 

BWcrlLg.jpg

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats! Having done one myself, marathons are no joke. The last few miles are the worst, particularly when you can't see the finish line.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2017 at 1:19 AM, Nomad Jay said:

Congrats! Having done one myself, marathons are no joke. The last few miles are the worst, particularly when you can't see the finish line.

That was Saturday. Still sore this morning but finally feel able to walk well enough to go for a bike ride later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now