• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
300lbninjawarrior

The 300lb Ninja Warrior returns to the Iron.

I made it it back to the gym last night for my regular Friday Night Lifts and it felt good. Real good.

I had to take a couple of weeks off due to a back twinge after spending three hours river tubing. It was an amazing time, but woof... when you are a guy of size that doesn't -quite- balance in the tube right, it was kinda like doing one long three hour ab crunch. The next morning, my back let me know all about it.

I haven't been slacking, tho! Typically, I can work out the kinks with some light, consistent exercise. For me that translated into 8 miles of walking, two sessions of yoga and two nights at karate since July 17th. Boy, I was looking forward to returning to the gym! I didn't know how much until I got into the space and just started grinning.

• Like 4

Progress update for July 24 - July 30:

• 2 gym workouts (4a, 4b)
  • 2 yoga sessions (medium/hard)
  • 7 miles in 4 walks
  • 2 karate classes

My back is doing well! I even pressed it a little harder in the standing overhead presses. Keep that form!

I've also been playing a shit ton of Pokemon and Card Wars 2. This combined with Clash of Clans, Clash Royale and all my social media... I'm really spending time looking at my phone. Yikes! I should work on cutting down.

For the next week, I'd like to:

• Keep 100% effort at my Shotokan Karate class twice a week.
  • Maintain focus as I learn and practice poses at hot Yoga at least 2-4 sessions a week.
  • Lift heavy (and safely) at the gym three times a week.
  • Walk a few miles 2-3 a week to de-stress and look at things far away.
  • Keep to <1600 nutritious calories days with an emphasis on whole foods.
  • Get some SLEEP! 

Hope you guys are killing it! Best of luck, folks!

• Like 2

Sounds awesome especially the "look at things far away". 

Also by the by the by Nerd Fitness have a CoC and Royale clans. 

Progress update for July 31 - August 6:

• 2 hard yoga sessions
  • 8 miles in 5 walks (my hips were killin' me on Wednesday, so I doubled up later in the week)
  • 2 karate classes

On my Wednesday weekly weigh-in, I made it down to 298.5lbs! Hallelujah! I've been ready to limbo under the 300lb line for awhile now. In August 2014, I was 437lbs. Now, I'm on this bench at my local coffee shop and I can feel my sitting bones. Hmf, imagine that! 

• Work on depth in my stances at Shotokan Karate class 2x a week. (Also, work on my 5+ katas per day.)
  • Crush hot yoga for 4x sessions.
  • Lift heavy (and safely) at the gym 3x times! Hitting some Sunday Night Lifts tonight.
  • Walk a couple miles 2-3 a week to de-stress and look at things far away.
  • Start reading Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans. Keep to <1600 nutritious calories days with an emphasis on whole foods.
    • Side Quest: I also have to work on laying off Halo Top ice cream. I followed the buzz and picked up four pints last week and have been slowly eating them every night. While it's not the worst snack, I don't think I'm doing myself any favors eating it so late at night. 

What about you folks? Have you found your way to Halo Top? It's a little expensivo, but it's so good!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2016 at 7:20 PM, Pat G said:

Sounds awesome especially the "look at things far away". 

Also by the by the by Nerd Fitness have a CoC and Royale clans. 

I'm in a pretty great CoC clan, but my Royale clan is a little weak. Are y'all under 'Nerd Fitness' with the heart shield?

On 7/31/2016 at 5:26 AM, Grymm said:

I couldn't do hot yoga.  I'm starting to sweat just thinking about it.  Salute to you!

Heh! It's actually pretty great! I started in the winter and it felt awesome to get in and warm up the bones. Admittedly, it's a little more difficult to rally up for the hot room in the summer. 

On 8/8/2016 at 9:04 AM, 300lbninjawarrior said:

I'm in a pretty great CoC clan, but my Royale clan is a little weak. Are y'all under 'Nerd Fitness' with the heart shield?

Thats it, a white diamond on a red background. 

Progress update for August 7 - August 13:

• 3 yoga sessions (2 hard, 1 medium)
  • 5.5 miles in 4 walks (my hips are still giving me a little trouble, think I'll start popping tylenol before walking)
  • 2 karate classes
  • Side Quest: Instead of three pints of Halo Top, I bought one! Birthday cake. 

I was going to get in one more session of yoga and one more workout at the gym, but I got my fist snagged by a kick at Karate and jammed the crap out of my thumb. It's not broke, tho! I am just taking it easy for a few days. I plan to return to the gym/yoga tomorrow night.

• Work on 5+ katas per day.
  • 2 Karate classes, 3 gym workouts and 4 yoga sessions.
  • Walk a couple miles 2-3 a week to de-stress and look at things far away.
  • Buy and start reading Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans

In other news, I had a session with a DO for a osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) for an old back injury. I have bi-weekly/monthly massages with an awesome masseuse. By comparison, the OMT was junior varsity. The doc however did seem excited to try this percussion hammer on my lower back on (it's being repaired now.) I can't hate the hustler and agreed to a next visit in three weeks. We'll see!

All and all, it's been a pretty good week. Hope you all are crushing it!

Progress update for August 14 - August 20:

• 2 karate classes (with 5+ katas a day)
  • 3 gym workouts (4a, 4b, 4a) 
  • 4 yoga sessions (3 hard, 1 medium)
  • 7 miles in 4 walks (feeling good about my new shoe insoles! Helps my hip not feel like fire.)
  • Side Quest: Instead of three pints of Halo Top, I bought two! Chocolate and mint chip. Yum!  

This is the first time that I hit the 2-3-4 workout since discovering the natural scaling of the numbers this 4 Week Challenge. I dig it. It'll be good when I hit it when I can, but I think I will need to get in a rest day soon.

The Olympics continues to be an inspiration. My karate teacher is getting fired up and making us kick like all hell and dropping hints to the kids about 2020. I take a different approach... get in my workouts then hit the couch with Halo Top and fast forward through the commercials. It's been pretty amazing to see the Simones, Michelle Carter, Allyson Felix and the Women's 4x100, Aly Raisman and her parents, #USABWNT, Usain Bolt, Phelps, Ledecky, etc.

Before I sign off, I just want to uplift the benefits of the reclined hamstring stretch. I've been carving out 5-8 minutes every morning this week to stretch after the shower and it's helped loosen those hammies like a champ.

Can't believe I'm wrapping up my second 4 Week Challenge! Hope you guys are crushing it!

• Like 1