Bit late, but still here for my first challenge

NY153

I realize that I am a week late, but @Bookish Badger (thanks!) encouraged me to start it anyway. I have been doing roughly the same since the beginning of July. At the first two weeks I felt huge improvements, but it slowed down and it is getting harder to stick to the plan. So here I am, turning my routine into an official challenge to make sure I don't give up.

My quests for the first challenge:

• Do rope jumping every day: 4x1 min in the first two weeks, then 5x1 min in the second two weeks
  • Do the "beginner bodyweight workout" twice a week (Wednesday and Saturday or Sunday)
  • Eat home-cooked meal at least five times a week (this is actually also really good for my budget, which is a bonus)
  • Eat only home-cooked sweets (no candy bars, etc.), but only if it is really necessary

And the rewards (beyond the obvious health improvement): I saw this system in @Traxex's thread, and found it very inspiring. Though I am hoping for 100% success, this way it is not so stressful.

95%+ -> Hiking map

90%+ -> New lunch bag

85%+ -> A new T-shirt I have been eyeing for a while

80%+ -> Measuring cup (my old one broke)

Well I have been tracking my habits off the record, so here is the status report of the first week:

Rope jumping: 6/7

Workout: 2/2

Home-cooked meal: every day

Sweets: 2 times, both homemade

• Like 2

For what it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

Current challenge, Previous challenges: 32, 1

Second week is going fine.

Though on Monday, I needed every willpower to start the rope jumping, but I did it anyway. Yay!

Tuesday was great, I even felt like doing the strength training, so I am ahead of my plan. Eating goes well too, but today I let myself eat some dessert. It was homemade, so still sticking to the plan. 

I have already prepared my lunch for tomorrow, I am doing the rope jumping now and then I am done for the day. Four more to go this week. 

• Like 1

For what it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

Looking good! It sounds like you've had a good week. :) 

Something I find useful in keeping my motivation up is if I come back an post updates regularly, at least twice a week. It means that I can't skip anything without having to own up to it, no "I'll make it up later in the week". I just have to get off my butt and get it done. 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

22 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Looking good! It sounds like you've had a good week.

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Something I find useful in keeping my motivation up is if I come back an post updates regularly, at least twice a week. It means that I can't skip anything without having to own up to it, no "I'll make it up later in the week". I just have to get off my butt and get it done. 

You are right, I need to do this from now on. As you will see my week did not finish very successfully. 

Well, it was good until Friday night. Than everything went south diet-wise... We went to the cinema, and of course I needed to have popcorn and coke. Then family event with biscuits and ice-cream, then painting the house on Sunday, so fast food. But on Monday I got back on track and cooked my lunches for the week in advance to make sure I don't cheat more. However, keeping my diet is so much harder than doing the exercises.

So here is my week two results:

rope jumping: 5/6 (my knee started to hurt a bit, so I swapped one workout with a 15 km bike ride)

workout:2/2 and I actually really enjoyed them. I finally can do the push-ups with my knee on the floor (yeah, I am in a that bad shape...)

home-cooked meal: 6/7

sweets: six in total, only one of them was homemade, plus the popcorn and coke. I am not sure how to rate it. So I will subtract 7% for each sweets/cheat meals and 3% for the homemade one. It makes it 48%. I definitely need more willpower on this one.

Actually, I am starting to really enjoy being active and working out. The power of momentum is indeed not a myth, it really is working. My fitness level improved a lot (still a long way to go though), so from week three I started a running training plan (From 0 to 10K in 14 weeks). When I run I won't do rope jumping, and on the rest day I will keep the rope jumping and the strength training two times a week.

Probably, it is not a good idea to change my challenge so many times, but I am at the beginning and still trying to find what works best.

On August 2, 2016 at 0:44 PM, NY153 said:

But on Monday I got back on track and

That is all that matters! We all go off-plan for whatever reason sounds good at the time - and sometimes it really is the best choice - so what matters is making sure that a meal or a weekend off-plan doesn't turn into a week, or a month, or a year, or..... 

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

On 2016. 08. 06. at 2:43 AM, Bookish Badger said:

That is all that matters! We all go off-plan for whatever reason sounds good at the time - and sometimes it really is the best choice - so what matters is making sure that a meal or a weekend off-plan doesn't turn into a week, or a month, or a year, or..... 

Well now, on week 4, it was staring to feel like it would turn into a whole week or more... But I am here now to make sure I keep going and doesn't fail already my first challenge! 

On 2016. 08. 08. at 9:30 PM, Guzzi said:

Hope you're doing ok. :) 

Thank you for asking. I am doing ok, I was a bit struggling, and got really close to give up. But you were right, coming here and and own up to it helps getting back on track.

So here is my week 3 recap:

Diet: 27 % - Weekdays were great. I ate healthy, good foods, only one dessert (-3%). Weekend was a disaster again, so many sweets and cheat meals (-70%).

Rope jumping + running: 57% - 1/4 I have already reduced rope jumping to four days, but I was so tired and needed to take some time off. However, I stuck to my running program (3/3), and enjoyed it. I think I will really like running when I will get better at it.

Strength training: 50% - I did one training on one of the rest days, but everything felts so hard and uncomfortable, I could only do 1 set, and I didn't even try to do my other training on an other day. I was not sure if this was the point when I just should have pushed through it, or my body was telling me it needed a rest. I decided it was the latter. So for week 4 for I decided to just rest on the rest days, no strength training or rope jumping.

Week 4 so far:

Diet: I didn't have time to cook on the weekend, so I already had a pizza and dessert every day (-28% so far...). But I cooked a delicious meal for tonight and there are leftovers, so I am covered for tomorrow as well. Yay! But I am in a bit of an emotional low point, and normally that is when I am turn to chocolate... I consume all my willpower on not to do it this time. Well I did it in the past two days, so technically I need the willpower on not to continue it. 

Running: Resting was good, the training went well, the next one is tomorrow. If it goes well too, I might try to do a body weight workout, because I miss it.

• Like 1

Don't worry that you went off the rails for a little, it happens to us all. All that matters is that you want to get back on track. 

It takes a long time to really change our habits and behaviour, not just 4 weeks. But each time you do a challenge you get closer to really cementing those habits. Even those times when you think you've failed you've still achieved something. You made a conscious decision to change and you acted on it. I promise you it gets a bit easier each time just so long as you keep trying. ;) 

One of my favourite quotes is: 

Ever tried? Ever failed? Try again, fail again, fail better."

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

@Guzzi, @Bookish Badger, thank you both of you for being so supportive! I was starting to feel negative and going down the self-doubting spiral, but your comments came just in the right time to snap me out of it and help me finish my challenge and not give up.

The end of my last week went well. I had plenty cheat meals, during the weekend, but I am improving. We went out for dinner and I managed to choose a healthy alternative. YAY!

And lets see the overall numbers:

Diet: 20% on the last week (lot of cheat meals, but no candy bar!), overall: 47.25% - not so great, but still a huge improvement compared to my old self. 

Rope jumping + running: I did all my running last week (3/3). Overall: 81.5%

Strength training: It was too much beside the running, so nothing this week, but I did not plan to do any. Overall: 83.3%

So my final grade is: 70.68%

Oh, well, too much cheat meals, so not even a new measuring cup as a reward. Still I (mostly) really enjoyed the challenge and even though it did not go as well as I planned I still improved a lot, and I am definitely on the right track. I can hardly wait the new challenge, and hopefully with better thought out goals my reward will materialize at the end.

Given that you jumped into the deep end (or were you pushed? :barbershop_quartet_) without much preparation, you did a great job with your first challenge! The main thing is to see them as an opportunity to learn what works, what doesn't, and refine as you go forward. 

Looking forward to seeing what you do next!

• Like 1

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Thank you, everyone, for supporting me through my first challenge, it meant a lot!

On 8/14/2016 at 10:26 PM, Bookish Badger said:

Given that you jumped into the deep end (or were you pushed? :barbershop_quartet_) without much preparation,

:D Just a little bit of pushing in the right time always helps. And now I am prepared to jump into my second challenge