Why aren't I getting faster??

Hi guys, so i went from fat my whole life couch potato to losing 65 lbs ( still more to go) and making myself exercise. The problem is that I'm getting frustrated because I started running about 7 months, and while I've made considerable gains, my mph has not really consistently improved. I finished C25k and started the 5k to 10k app. After every workout I'm dripping in sweat. Running hasn't gotten any easier either ( I'm not quitting, just saying). I've been going to the gym twice a week for circuit and strength training too (for about 3 months). I weigh 185, female, 20 y/o if that info is helpful. I don't really understand how I haven't gotten any faster. If anything, I've gotten slower. I thought if I stuck with it, the speed would come. 

In early days of c25k my speed running was 10 mph. Now it's 12!

Even when I run for shorter times, I'm still slow. Like old c25k workouts.

So, anybody know what I can do to mitigate this?

Thanks!

First thing to say is congratulations on losing all that weight and becoming a runner.... that's a terrific achievement. Even if it's feeling no easier, the distance you're running has increased hugely.

Can you tell us a bit more about your running training at the moment? How often and how far as you running, and are you doing any particular work on your speed? What does your 5k-10k programme involve? I think as a general principle if you want to run faster, you need to do at least some training focusing on speed to get your body (and your mind) used to an increased pace. I think a lot of people tend to slow down a bit as they go through C25K because they're running too quickly at the start, partly because of jangling nerves and partly because of wanting to be finished quickly. But people tend to find their rhythm for longer distances, which will be slower than their C25K stuff.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

19 hours ago, Ducks22 said:

Hi guys, so i went from fat my whole life couch potato to losing 65 lbs ( still more to go) and making myself exercise. The problem is that I'm getting frustrated because I started running about 7 months, and while I've made considerable gains, my mph has not really consistently improved. I finished C25k and started the 5k to 10k app. After every workout I'm dripping in sweat. Running hasn't gotten any easier either ( I'm not quitting, just saying). I've been going to the gym twice a week for circuit and strength training too (for about 3 months). I weigh 185, female, 20 y/o if that info is helpful. I don't really understand how I haven't gotten any faster. If anything, I've gotten slower. I thought if I stuck with it, the speed would come. 

In early days of c25k my speed running was 10 mph. Now it's 12!

Even when I run for shorter times, I'm still slow. Like old c25k workouts.

So, anybody know what I can do to mitigate this?

Thanks!

Hmmm

You went from 10mph (A 6 minute mile) to 12mph (a 5 minute mile) and want to know why you aren't getting faster?  5 minute mile is nearly a world class athlete so I have to assume this may be in error if you're looking for our help...

First off, if you've been running 7 months, you started in the winter and it's mid summer right now.  Running in heat an humidy is absolutely miserable and more difficult. EVERYONE runs slower in summer than winter. It's harder to move through the air and more difficult on your cardiovascular system. As a new runner who started in the winter, it is perfectly plausible that you will be slower now than you were when you started. In the fall, you will speed up again.

With that being said, it is important to have specific speed goals if you are going to train to run faster. AKA I want to finish a 5K race in XX:XX time.  If you just feel like you should naturally be faster there are a couple of things you can do that are not speed training specific but will naturally make you faster....

The biggest trick If you want to run faster, RUN MORE. If you run 10 miles a week, work up to 15. if you run 3 miles 3 days a week, add in a 4th day of 3 miles. Run more and you'll naturally begin to run faster. The second trick, RUN MORE HILLS!!! Hills are secretly injury prevention and speed work in disguise. They make your legs stronger, your cardiovascular system stronger and incidentally, running hills makes hills easier to run (go figure?). They are one of the magic recipes to running. They suck at the start but you will learn to love them. Also add some strides in ( http://strengthrunning.com/2012/10/what-are-strides/ ). They only help a bit with speed but are hugely beneficial to our running health!!

Take some time, add some weekly mileage (gradually) and run some hills.  That's how I would start. Increase your running base for awhile, watch your speed go up and when you start to plateau and add some running specific goals, you can add in some actual speed workouts.

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

Are you sure you haven't gone from 12 min miles to 10 minute miles?  That would make much more sense.  That would mean you ran a 5km in 31 minutes?

Speed comes with regular running, mix up the pace you run, do intervals and hill reps.  I've been running just over a year anod do very little speed work, preferring longer slow runs.  However I have still got my times down, just because my technique and endurance has improved.  Practice makes perfect (or better)

@Rostov @princess pineapple @Dilnad

I've been following the 5 to 10k app on my phone. Everyday there is a new workout. It might be to jog for 10 minutes, then run faster for 2 and jog for 2 (alternating a couple times), and then jog for 8 minutes. Another one is jog for 25 minutes or 60 minutes. When I first started, I only repeated one week. A couple daus, I just go out for a run. It is so hot, so I go early. I hate treadmills. I'm going to try to find some hills. Also, I'm definitely not runing the 5k in 31 minutes. More like 38. I want to get to about an 8 mile minute, but I'd be so excited by 9.

54 minutes ago, Ducks22 said:

@Rostov @princess pineapple @Dilnad

I've been following the 5 to 10k app on my phone. Everyday there is a new workout. It might be to jog for 10 minutes, then run faster for 2 and jog for 2 (alternating a couple times), and then jog for 8 minutes. Another one is jog for 25 minutes or 60 minutes. When I first started, I only repeated one week. A couple daus, I just go out for a run. It is so hot, so I go early. I hate treadmills. I'm going to try to find some hills. Also, I'm definitely not runing the 5k in 31 minutes. More like 38. I want to get to about an 8 mile minute, but I'd be so excited by 9.

How many miles a week do you run?

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

I don't know where you are but I've now been running since about early March, so about 5 months. My 5km time has gone from around 42 minutes to 27 minutes. I'm not sure if there's anything I've specifically done that's led to that other than lots of running. I've been training for a half marathon and so go running around 4 times a week, usually with at least one long run (now up to 18km) and on Saturday mornings I do a 5km park run which is a free timed event to which around 300 people turn up to. I've found doing that has really motivated me to shave time of my 5km runs. I've done it three times now and my times have been 30:09, 28:08 and 27:01. 

I'd echo what someone above said about running hills as well, the 5km run I do on Saturdays includes 3 quite steep climbs which I think is really benefiting my fitness. I think, at least with me, it's partly a mental thing. If you get used to running at a certain pace it's quite easy to get stuck in that rhythm, and you don't think you can run any faster. Maybe try bursts of speed between lampposts, it'll help cut down your times as well as improve your fitness.

• Like 1