Newbie's First NF Challenge

Super_Lili

Hello everyone,

I've just registered and posted in the Introduction or Welcome area, so I'll be brief here. 

I'm in my forties, overweight (no exercise, too many takeouts/eating out and alcohol), tired and a bit broke (it all comes together, right?). I have this on-and-off history with leading a healthy, balanced life, but I've been living the "off" period for a few years now. 

My Challenge 
- Bring my lunch to work min. 4x/week

- Order in/Eat out max. 1x/week (alone) or 2x/week (with people)

- Drink alcohol max. 1x/week (with people)

- Take a cab max. 1x/week (alone) or 2x/week (with people) --- I live in the city, so that means a lot more walking for me!

So this is for the current challenge (until mid-August). After that, I believe I will probably be ready to add more exercise, such as the NF bodyweight training, but we'll see.  

I'm looking forward to get know you all better! I wish you the best on your personal quests and challenges :) 

• Like 2

So it's only Thursday night, but I already know how Friday is gonna be, so here's how Week 1 went for me (I'm also counting Monday, even though I posted my challenge on Tuesday):

- Bring my lunch to work min. 4x/week - YES 

- Order in/Eat out max. 1x/week (alone) or 2x/week (with people) - YES 

- Drink alcohol max. 1x/week (with people) - YES 

- Take a cab max. 1x/week (alone) or 2x/week (with people) - NO 

I forgot to say that my challenge is applicable during a Monday-to-Friday work week (although I plan to do my best during weekends too!). I know it does not look like a lot, but in Level 1, I'm focusing on changing my worst habits, which are mostly related to my work and have become the core of an ugly routine I've been following for years.  

I've been slightly improving my behaviours in the last few weeks (since I went to the doctor's!), but I'm feeling more focused since I came here and put my current objectives in writing. Suddenly, I don't "forget" about doing the right thing anymore, knowing I'll come here and report, and knowing that there are so many people who work so hard at improving themselves.

I know i've only been on NF for a couple of days, but I'm really feeling good about it :)

Question, if you don't mind: Should I post about this here (in the Challenge forum) or in the Daily Battle Logs? Thanks!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Super_Lili said:

Question, if you don't mind: Should I post about this here (in the Challenge forum) or in the Daily Battle Logs? Thanks!

That is entirely up to you.  some people post all their details in their challenge and do not do a battle log at all.

Others use only a battle log and rarely have a challenge up.

some us both with various degrees (or types) of reporting in each.  For example: after neglecting my battle log for several months I just revived it this challenge.  I am posting my detailed workouts there and then giving a summary of all my day's goals in my challenge (with a link to the battle log post for anyone who wants to see the details).  If no one else wants to see the details, they are not making my posts overly long with stuff most of my readers do not care about.  However, at the same time those details are preserved for my own use and easily available to anyone else who does want to see them.  When I do a nutrition challenge I will probably put detailed info on that in the battle log and a summary in my thread just like I am doing now with my workouts.

• Like 2

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

6 hours ago, Super_Lili said:

I don't "forget" about doing the right thing anymore, knowing I'll come here and report, and knowing that there are so many people who work so hard at improving themselves.

I know i've only been on NF for a couple of days, but I'm really feeling good about it :)

I am having exactly the same experience as your two first points. Glad it's helping you too.

Re the question, from what I can make out there's no right way to do it. I am posting in both at the moment, because I'm finding it useful to do so, but try it out and see what works for you.

• Like 1

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

Good job for your first week!  Well done! :D

This seems quite appropriate for a challenge thread, from what I've seen.  Battle Logs seem to be more the detailed records of weights/reps/distances/etc., though I confess I haven't seen many yet.

• Like 2

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

5 hours ago, bker1370 said:

That is entirely up to you.  some people post all their details in their challenge and do not do a battle log at all.

Others use only a battle log and rarely have a challenge up.

some us both with various degrees (or types) of reporting in each.  For example: after neglecting my battle log for several months I just revived it this challenge.  I am posting my detailed workouts there and then giving a summary of all my day's goals in my challenge (with a link to the battle log post for anyone who wants to see the details).  If no one else wants to see the details, they are not making my posts overly long with stuff most of my readers do not care about.  However, at the same time those details are preserved for my own use and easily available to anyone else who does want to see them.  When I do a nutrition challenge I will probably put detailed info on that in the battle log and a summary in my thread just like I am doing now with my workouts.

Thanks, bker, for the detailed explanation! :)

3 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

I am having exactly the same experience as your two first points. Glad it's helping you too.

Re the question, from what I can make out there's no right way to do it. I am posting in both at the moment, because I'm finding it useful to do so, but try it out and see what works for you.

Happy that we are sharing this experience, Myrdinn!  

2 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Good job for your first week!  Well done! :D

This seems quite appropriate for a challenge thread, from what I've seen.  Battle Logs seem to be more the detailed records of weights/reps/distances/etc., though I confess I haven't seen many yet.

Thanks Vibrantella! And I believe I will continue to post here for the time being :)

So this is the end of the second week. I did not do as well as I did on the first one, but I'm still proud of myself, especially with not drinking any alcohol this week and dining out only once. You would have told me that I'd do that a month ago and I would have sighed with despair :)

As for bringing my lunch, I only did it once (today): I wasn't feeling too well last weekend so I was not able to go shopping for food and prepare the meal in advance. I realized how important it is to prepare food on the weekend because I definitely lack time and energy to do it on weeknights. 

As for taking cabs, it'll always be the hardest part of the challenge: I realized I don't always take them because I'm lazy, but also because I'm in a hurry or in a thunderstorm or carrying heavy things, etc. However, I am much more careful and don't take them as frequently as I did, before my challenge.

I'm already feeling better after two weeks and I think I even lost weight. My goal is first to change my bad habits, then focus on weight loss - but it's nice to know I can drop a few pounds just by modifying my lifestyle :) 

• Like 1

This challenge's last week was not a very good one for me. It seems I did not achieve any of my goals, but at least I know why and can do better in the future. 

Stress is a biggie. When I'm stressed out, I eat carelessly and I don't sleep well at all. I don't sleep enough, so I get up late and take a cab to go to work. I get home later than usual, so tired (but still wired) that I don't do anything, including dinner or next day's lunch. Then I'm tempted to have a glass of wine (or 2-3-4...) to alleviate the stress and help me sleep. Which of course doesn't work too well. Believe it or not, it's the first time that I realize how much all this is so interconnected. I guess I really ought to target the stress, how I'm dealing with it and the importance it takes up in my life. 

So to finish on a positive note, I just ordered a DVD fitness program to help me start exercising. I believe this will help decrease the negative effects of stress and get me more energized in the morning. Also, at the end of this challenge, I can still say that I did better in the last three weeks than I did in the last three years ;) 

Something encouraging is that I'm here instead of having given up, which I did oh so many times before! Thanks for being here, Rebels :)

• Like 2

I agree with lemonbird, connecting the dots in our heads is a major part of the challenge (in my experience).  Well done on doing better in the last 3 weeks than in a long time, and it's great that you're still here! We'll be here as well :D 

• Like 1

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

This challenge's last week was not a very good one for me. It seems I did not achieve any of my goals, but at least I know why and can do better in the future. 

This mindset is so much of what makes NF work for me. If you pick goals and meet them, awesome! If you don't meet them, let's troubleshoot what went wrong, and try again. For me, it has been so important to shift to that "troubleshoot and repeat" mindset, instead of the "tell myself I'm a hopeless loser" and/or "tell myself I need to TRY HARDER!" (pro tip - "try harder" is not much of a strategy, especially on the fourth attempt.)

I think the most instructive thing is to look at the WAY the plan failed, and think of strategies that can compensate for that or bypass it entirely.

Also, there was a trainer who was talking about setting goals with his clients, and after they decide what they want to do and how they plan to do it, he asks them how confident they are that they can hit these targets. And if they are not extremely confident, 90% certain they can do it, he ask them what they'd need too change about the goals or the plan to be 90% certain. And he keeps helping them scale it back, until they are saying "Well OBVIOUSLY I can do THAT! How could I possibly fail at THAT!" The big goals are still there, but they are long term goals. So they take one tiny step in the right direction, make sure that is a solid habit, and then take another tiny step.

My favorite tiny step is just tracking. Like keep a tally sheet on the fridge door of how many drinks you have at home alone each night. Then you have a realistic baseline to say, okay, next week, I'll have one less.

Or with the cabs, commit to walking every single time you don't have a good reason to take a cab, and make a list of all your "good reasons". (Just having to actually write down your reason can make it seem a lot less justifiable.)

Then pick the easiest reasons to reduce, and come up with ways to make them less relevant. Like if you often have too much stuff to comfortably carry, but not a huge amount of heavy stuff, can you get a more suitable bag or backpack, or one of those little carts? If you are discouraged by even slightly wet weather, can you have rain gear handy by the door?

Don't worry about the times you have a really really good reason. Focus on reducing the times you have a kind of flimsy reason. Go for the low-hanging fruit.

• Like 2

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

@Darth Yoga: You're right on target :) You are totally right, I also need to shift to the 'troubleshooting and repeat' mindset! This is what gives results in the long run, because then what you do becomes your life, and not just a phase. And bringing myself down never helped me achieved anything ;)

Today, at lunch time, I took a few minutes to think about the next challenge. Funny thing, I thought of my goals differently, as they should not revolutionize my world, but just help me get better habits. So I wrote them down and then... scale them back a bit, so that I feel comfortable and confident I could achieve them. So your coach story made me smile :)

See you in next challenge's section! I wish you the best for next four weeks :)

• Like 1