• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zenmom

60/20/20

Conventional nutrition wisdom says we should have a diet that conists of 60% carbs/20% protien/20% fat. Does that still hold true in a paleo or primal diet? Should I be thinking in different terms? My tracking my food intake and the resulting little pie chart comes out very different than the convention nutritional wisdom pie charts. I am kind of confused and would love some input. Thanks!

No. I tend to fall in line around 20% carbs, 30% protein, and 50% fat on Paleo. Basic idea is to get to your minimum amount of protein (0.7-1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass) then fill the rest of your allotted daily calories with good foods. Unless you're eating a ton of fruit, you'll end up highest in fat, then protein, then carbs.

Last challenge I tried to watch carbs, this time I'm not. I'm doing exactly what Philociraptor said with getting 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight as a minimum and letting the rest of the calories fill up with good food. Not doing too well as I now have a sweet tooth again from letting myself have so much sugar in the new year. Trying to wean off.

when i did a paleo challenge for 30 days i seemed to end up about one third of each. the biggest difference for me was going from about 30-50 grams of protein a day to over 100...i still try and do that. also, i read somewhere recently about this idea of "the perfect plate" which is 50% fruits/veggies (mostly veggies), 25% meat, and 25% grains. it's not exactly related to what you asked but i think it's an interesting concept.

when i did a paleo challenge for 30 days i seemed to end up about one third of each. the biggest difference for me was going from about 30-50 grams of protein a day to over 100...i still try and do that. also, i read somewhere recently about this idea of "the perfect plate" which is 50% fruits/veggies (mostly veggies), 25% meat, and 25% grains. it's not exactly related to what you asked but i think it's an interesting concept.

It's what the gov't is pushing as the new food pyramid I believe.

No. I tend to fall in line around 20% carbs, 30% protein, and 50% fat on Paleo.

not relevent, just wanted to say i'm glad i came across your post. i just logged my daily food intakes and saw i had 53% fats and was like 'aw crap, that can't be good'. your numbers are almost identical to mine.