Random Thoughts of Randomness

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I debated for about 20 seconds about having my next challenge be a crowd sourced challenge. But I feel someone would obviously be the person who would subject me to 500 burpees in a week. 

You are absolutely correct. Of course, I would have gone for lunges for variety, but you would for sure have been inundated with reps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I work in patient room service at a hospital. Part of my job requires me to walk into the patient wings - there is an east & west wing on each floor for patient beds - and collect the trays they used for their meals. On each floor there is a separate room that holds dirty breakfast/lunch trays, soiled linens, and an eye wash station. This is pretty much how every major hospital operates, aside from the minor differences.

I walk into one room and a see a patient, her husband, and a playful little kid. After seeing me, the kid breaks out into tears and runs to the Dad like I'm the boogeyman. Won't stop bawling even after I leave. Thanks for shooting my self-esteem to hell, kid. I walk into another room (another kid about the same age). She sees me and just wants to play peek-a-boo behind the curtain with her Dad. Kids are hilarious.

It's only been 3 weeks on the job and I've seen things no one should have to see. I saw toe tags at a nurses station for a patient that passed away shortly after I clocked in. It made me think of my own mortality; of my own parent's mortality. I asked myself what it would feel like to be in that patient's family's shoes and never see, much less talk to them, ever again. I had trouble wrapping my brain around it. The nurses and custodians have it worse but working in a hospital is sometimes not for the faint of heart. 

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Rubik'sCat said:

Thanks for shooting my self-esteem to hell, kid.

Someone's reaction to you (especially children) tells you NOTHING about you, just about them. 

16 minutes ago, Rubik'sCat said:

I asked myself what it would feel like to be in that patient's family's shoes and never see, much less talk to them, ever again. I had trouble wrapping my brain around it. The nurses and custodians have it worse but working in a hospital is sometimes not for the faint of heart.

Death, sadly, is the only true constant experience that we will all share at some point. Either the loss of parents, siblings, loved ones, or ourselves....to quote gandalf..."All we have to do is decide what to do with the time we have"

And a quote (paraphrase) from a lord huron song (I think, probably elsewhere too)-A life without end wouldn't have any meaning, the journey to death is the point of the beating

Don't think too hard...that always gets me in trouble anyway

• Thanks 1

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

10 minutes ago, farflight said:

Someone's reaction to you (especially children) tells you NOTHING about you, just about them. 

Death, sadly, is the only true constant experience that we will all share at some point. Either the loss of parents, siblings, loved ones, or ourselves....to quote gandalf..."All we have to do is decide what to do with the time we have"

And a quote (paraphrase) from a lord huron song (I think, probably elsewhere too)-A life without end wouldn't have any meaning, the journey to death is the point of the beating

Don't think too hard...that always gets me in trouble anyway

You're right, but sometimes it's hard to remember. It's not just kids, anyone that has a bad reaction to me at all and it stays with me for hours. That's why I'm such a people pleaser, not a good trait to have.

Such wise, grandfatherly quotes from Gandalf, damn I like that character. Thanks. Hopefully you can stay out of trouble :) that "thinking" is a slippery slope. 

that sounds like a dismemberment joke

I'm predicting a snow day tomorrow; supposed to get a foot of snow with ice on top of it. All during the day . And I live by the rule of, 'If I crash my car or die while on my way to or from work, nobody but me is responsible, they aren't going to pay to have my car repaired or worse" so with white out conditions they can kiss my butt if they think I'm coming in. 

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Things that piss me off about myself and about the world. I have anxiety because I feel like I can't mess up, that every little thing has to be perfect (perfectionism), so I have a hard time doing things because I'm afraid of fucking things up and being judged because of it. What pisses me off about the world is that I work/deal with a lot of people who won't even try because A. They don't know how, or B. Like me they have anxiety and are also afraid.But that just makes things worse for me because I feel that if I have to go above and beyond and learn how to do this things without anyone showing me why can't you? 

Daily Mile

17 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Things that piss me off about myself and about the world. I have anxiety because I feel like I can't mess up, that every little thing has to be perfect (perfectionism), so I have a hard time doing things because I'm afraid of fucking things up and being judged because of it. What pisses me off about the world is that I work/deal with a lot of people who won't even try because A. They don't know how, or B. Like me they have anxiety and are also afraid.But that just makes things worse for me because I feel that if I have to go above and beyond and learn how to do this things without anyone showing me why can't you? 

When I told my therapist that it pisses me off that Karri uses the sofa as a laundry basket. She said, want an easy solution? I said sure. She said, "choose not to be pissed off about it."

After about 100 times of conversations, it finally started to set in. Karri isn't tossing her clothing on the sofa to upset me. It's just her way. It's not harming anyone. I'm actively making a choice to be upset about it. I choose not to get upset about it anymore. If they are in my way or a guest is coming over, I toss them on her side of the bed and move on.

It's taken me a long time to learn(and I'm not entirely there yet) that other people don't usually have the power to control my emotions(The wife still wields the power to do so HAHA). They are mine. I'll decide if I want to get mad or not. Isn't your decision

• Like 2

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

re kids crying when they see you, don't take it personally.  It's probably them, not you.  For all you know, the last guy wearing your uniform took the kid's toy to the trash, or was a villain in a movie they just saw, or god knows what.  Don't sweat it.  Nobody acts normal in a hospital anyway.  Everyone there, including the staff, is either stressed to hell, deranged, or unconscious.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

6 hours ago, Raincloak said:

re kids crying when they see you, don't take it personally.  It's probably them, not you.  For all you know, the last guy wearing your uniform took the kid's toy to the trash, or was a villain in a movie they just saw, or god knows what.  Don't sweat it.  Nobody acts normal in a hospital anyway.  Everyone there, including the staff, is either stressed to hell, deranged, or unconscious.

Great explanation. 

I know my reason; it's because I look like a furry monster; which is also why some kids like me

I know I'm not supposed to let other people control my emotions, my therapist says the same thing. He also says you can't pour from an empty cup, which is something I struggle with greatly. When every waking hour is something that has to be taken care of or someone needing something; I feel like I truly never get time to relax. I'm taking care of that this weekend by going out snowshoeing so there's that. 

Daily Mile

1 minute ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

When every waking hour is something that has to be taken care of or someone needing something;

I have found that those two beliefs are MY inner voices trying to keep me distracted from life.

True, SOMETHING does have to be taken care of/someone needs something every hour of the day...that doesn't mean it has to be ME that provides it.

If people expect that of me, two things could be happening (generally): 1) I've trained them that I'm okay with that (even when I'm not, I DID teach them it was okay to treat me that way) 2) it's an unhealthy relationship from the start and needs to change or be dropped

When you start changing those lessons/relationships, you'll learn REALLY quick who YOU can count on, who's a true friend, who's just using your friend/relationship for their selfish/sick gains (not saying their doing it intentionally, but doesn't change reality).

Barring true life and death circumstances...a general rule I try to follow: MY needs >> YOUR needs. Sometimes I NEED to do nothing, or play Zelda. A true companion/friend/love/family member will understand that. 

A good friend often reminds me: " 'No' is a complete sentence, you don't have to justify things to people."

I'm guessing 'snowshoeing' is like hiking in snow? They don't sell snowshoes in memphis...

• Like 2

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

in my experience you can make a few pennies at home doing stuff like clicking thru surveys or writing ad copy, but it's not even minimum wage, so you might be better off just looking for a job that pays more or turning one of your hobbies to profit.  If you can do it online from home without special training, they can get people in China to do it way cheaper. 

People who actually make a living online seem to have a special skill (eg, making software, reading medical images) or a personal brand (eg, bloggers) that can't be outsourced.

Snowshoeing is this thing where you strap tennis rackets to your feet, and it spreads out your weight so you can walk on top of the snow without sinking in, like a lynx (or an elf).  Then you go for a hike.  It was invented by Native Americans.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

22 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

When you go to a Pub see a whole selection of different cheeseburgers and still end up ordering the Salmon and Spinach salad

had a quick pint too, so there's that. 

You're from the U.K. I take it? I feel like that's a universal thing, ordering the same old off the menu for the 1,000th time. Salmon & spinach sounds amazing though, I hope it tastes as good as it sounds.

I've spent 1 month + 1 week at my new job and I've had 2 cashiers tell me I have a slight British accent and 1 desk receptionist ask me where I'm from. I've had a gym receptionist ask me as well ~2 years ago. I've spent my whole life in Texas and I've never heard myself speak with an accent....I don't know, but I know I've spent an unholy amount of time watching Monty Python movies/shows. 

• Like 2

It was awesome

I'm from Upstate NY; we have our own language; or actually it's a hodgepodge of languages, for example on one block on North Pearl street, we have a Hall*, Pub** and a Bar***

In my own view of things Halls are normally known for beer and some food, more open concept in terms of seating (basically a bigger bar) Bar is a smaller venue with a few taps some food (burgers, wings, easy food) Pubs are bars but with better food; the main point of all three is to drink which is different then a Restaurant that masquerades as a bar (think chains like 99 or Applebee's) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daily Mile