• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Ox King

Foot positioning upon impact

So, I've been held up on running because my ankle begins to hurt. For the oddest reason, I couldn't figure out (until now) why one ankle would light up far earlier and worse than the other. Turn out that my left (leading) foot is landing straight, but my right (power) foot is landing slightly inwards or outwards (I'm fairly sure it's outwards). My knee is messed up too, very similar to Osgood's, but stuck around far too long for Osgood (early arthritis?). But, my knee gets better when I exercise consistently. I also tend to put (far) more weight on the right side, as it's my dominant side, enough that my direction is constantly turning that way. I have tried to land straight with my left foot, but it seems to make my ankle hurt worse (tension on the muscle from my ankle to my big toe, which pulls on the muscle on the inside of my ankle, which is part of where it hurts). I only need to run for a minute or so for things to start lighting up.

My question is, where is the problem originating: my knee, ankle, weight balance, or impact point?

(It may be important to note that I'm a 300lb man and new to running, but I've got nice shoes)

That's a lot of information. I think from all you've told us, the best you can expect is possibly a blind guess. We would really need to see your gait (watch you run) to accurately judge this.

I'd suggest asking at a local running store. Fleet Feet usually has a treadmill and often times they will film you running then play it back in slow motion to analyze your gait. Another option is to google locally and see if anyone does a "Gait analysis". The final option is to check CoachUP.com and see if there is a local running coach you can hire for a session or two. I did that last year and was quite pleased with the experience.

Your ankle is probably barking because you're not running in balance. The fact that you have a "leading" and a "power" foot (I've never heard it described that way, but I think I know what you mean) sounds more like a martial arts thing than a running technique. In fact, it sounds like you're running almost sideways, almost like you're running on a heavily cambered road all the time. Which is not biomechanically efficient at all; it puts a ton of torque and strain on the ankle and knee (because you have to push out and away from the body almost as much as you push off from the ground) and can cause a lot of damage over time (incidentally, this is why the experts tell you not to do much running on beaches).

But if you've got a bad knee, I can't even begin to guess at what you could do to remedy the problem. You probably need a professional consult, maybe with a podiatrist before you see a running coach.

2 hours ago, Pavowski said:

Your ankle is probably barking because you're not running in balance. The fact that you have a "leading" and a "power" foot (I've never heard it described that way, but I think I know what you mean) sounds more like a martial arts thing than a running technique. In fact, it sounds like you're running almost sideways, almost like you're running on a heavily cambered road all the time. Which is not biomechanically efficient at all; it puts a ton of torque and strain on the ankle and knee (because you have to push out and away from the body almost as much as you push off from the ground) and can cause a lot of damage over time (incidentally, this is why the experts tell you not to do much running on beaches).

But if you've got a bad knee, I can't even begin to guess at what you could do to remedy the problem. You probably need a professional consult, maybe with a podiatrist before you see a running coach.

Well, it was a bad knee. When I workout consistently, it stops being as much of an issue.

Aside from my martial arts background, I think it may also be that I'm bow legged a little.

16 hours ago, Dilnad said:

That's a lot of information. I think from all you've told us, the best you can expect is possibly a blind guess. We would really need to see your gait (watch you run) to accurately judge this.

I'd suggest asking at a local running store. Fleet Feet usually has a treadmill and often times they will film you running then play it back in slow motion to analyze your gait. Another option is to google locally and see if anyone does a "Gait analysis". The final option is to check CoachUP.com and see if there is a local running coach you can hire for a session or two. I did that last year and was quite pleased with the experience.

The closest place is a solid two hour drive... Maybe it's worth it. I gotta look again, and see if my insurance will cover any of it.