brave little rebby starts rowing!

quichelapain

Hiiiiiii all!  I'm late to this challenge, as I'm just coming back to Nerd Fitness.  I'd forgotten challenges were a thing!

I've made so much progress in the past year, since first finding the site :) I've learned to barbell lift, had some success at maintaining regular workout schedules, and run three 5ks!  However - I need support for the next leg of my journey, as I still struggle with procrastination, self-doubt, and lethargy.

I know I need to have reeeeeally bite-sized goals, so I can succeed!

tumblr_mk6wlksrk81rzdhpro1_500.gif

Here are my goals for this challenge:

Fitness Goals (3):

tumblr_lq5ygeRWsg1qd6k8fo1_500.gif

1. I signed up for an intro to rowing class!!  It's taking place 3x/week for 3 weeks.  I will make it to every single practice, and participate fully!  Even if it's sometimes challenging.  In the past, I've been a master of excuse-making and self-sabotaging when it comes to making it to practices of anything.  I've always wanted to be part of a team sport, but I've lacked the confidence and self-soothing abilities required.  This time, I know that I don't need to be perfect.  I just need to show up every time, and do my best, and that will be enough.  I've already made it to my first practice this week!

3TbzfBF.gif

2.  Being strong for rowing practices will require a couple of things.  One is that I need to stop smoking.  I am an intermittent cigarette smoker, usually stopping for periods of time and then bingeing.  I've been in a very heavy smoking cycle, and I know it's not good for my physical health (duh).  So, for the duration of this challenge, I won't be smoking any cigarettes!  This will ensure that my lungs are good and healthy at practices.

tumblr_mlzj9to9nZ1qgcra2o1_500.gif

3. Another thing I'll need is to drink enough water.  So, during this challenge, I will drink at least 4 quarts of water per day.  Two quarts before noon.  (I'll also need to be eating high quality food - but I think I'll save that as an actual challenge for next time!)

Level Up My Life Challenge (1):

tumblr_mt7mh29ozk1selkmyo1_500.gif

I'm so tempted to make bigger goals, but...

This time around, my life challenge is to nurture connections that keep me going.  I will do this by spending time with a friend (not my boyfriend) at least once per week for the duration of the challenge, and sharing honestly what is going on for me.  HOoray!!!

I do need to do things like make sure I get enough sleep, wake up earlier, etc... but these feel harder.  For now, I think these simple goals will serve me well (especially the not smoking)

ONWARD!

p.s. forgive my awkward use of gifs.  it's my first time :)

• Like 2

Your gifs made me smile.Welcome and great goals!

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

So, it's Day 1 of my challenge!   I slept in, but it's before noon and I'm almost done with my first quart of water!  I'm going to head into the garden and harvest some breakfast vegetables before I go to the gym with a friend, and I aim to get my second quart of water in before 12.

I won't be smoking today.

And my second rowing practice is tonight!! I'll check in afterwards to post on how it goes.

• Like 3

Glad to see you've returned, doubly so that you've jumped back into a challenge, and triply so to see you're running with us Rangers!  :)

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]    Havoc, the Cyberpunk Outrider. 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I fulfilled the day's challenges!! I drank four quarts of water, and then some, made it to rowing practice (loved it so much that the time flew!), and didn't smoke any cigarettes.  Feeling on top of the world!

I began to get discouraged by my lack of rowing ability mid-practice, but then gently reminded myself that I'm a beginner, and immediately began having fun again.  Progress!

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, quichelapain said:

I fulfilled the day's challenges!! I drank four quarts of water, and then some, made it to rowing practice (loved it so much that the time flew!), and didn't smoke any cigarettes.  Feeling on top of the world!

I began to get discouraged by my lack of rowing ability mid-practice, but then gently reminded myself that I'm a beginner, and immediately began having fun again.  Progress!

We have some similar goals, how fun! I shall follow!!

I also always wished to join a team but tend to flake out, or lack the confidence to even try, but I've started playing soccer during this challenge! I love to see someone else overcoming those darn social anxieties and giving something new a try! (I also start to feel a bit discouraged by my lack of skill, but by trying and practicing we can only help ourselves and our teams!)

I like your use of "gently", we should be as gentle with ourselves as we'd be with others. It's easier said than done.

Way to go, Toaster! (Sorry, I know it's not your name, but I loved your gifs so much!)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

We have some similar goals, how fun! I shall follow!!

I also always wished to join a team but tend to flake out, or lack the confidence to even try, but I've started playing soccer during this challenge! I love to see someone else overcoming those darn social anxieties and giving something new a try! (I also start to feel a bit discouraged by my lack of skill, but by trying and practicing we can only help ourselves and our teams!)

I like your use of "gently", we should be as gentle with ourselves as we'd be with others. It's easier said than done.

Way to go, Toaster! (Sorry, I know it's not your name, but I loved your gifs so much!)

I was actually very inspired by your water goal, which is why I made it mine! It's a great one!

I've always wanted to play soccer!! How cool that you've started!  Did you play when you were younger, or are you a total newcomer?  Very impressive.

About lack of skill: yes, I've historically been soooo harsh with myself about sucking at things, which has made me into kind of a dilettante ... I tend to start a lot of new things, with great zeal, and then give up once I realize it's going to take some effort.  I'm working on deepening my relationship to the longterm vision of my goals instead and yes, it requires so much gentleness.  When I recognize that I'm a beginner, I feel so much better about what I"m doing.

I love the nickname Toaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-D

I went missing!  I had two extremely long workdays this weekend, and I didn't drink nearly enough water.

But!  Today I'm back at it, and am only one quart away from my daily goal.  I feel great.

I've kept up with my challenge not to smoke -- haven't even been tempted.  And I've made it to every rowing practice so far.  I LOVE it!  Time flies on the water!

I have another practice tonight, and I'll be at that one, too.

I did connect with a friend about some things I needed to talk about... but I'm not feeling satisfied in that realm yet - so I'll do it again today or tomorrow.