Overheard in the gym - Share!

Ah!  In that case maybe I do need to tweak! :)

Yea, I've never drawn blood with conventional pulls, but sometimes I do smack my knees with sumo, which is just a good reminder that my knees aren't out enough

BREAK BREAK BREAK

Alight guys and gals--- Ways to tell if someone is flirting anytime, anywhere: 

• If the person you are talking to is making lots of eye contact and is smiling, it's probably flirting.  Unless you're at a job interview.  Even then, it still might be.
  • If the person says something like "I'm going to go get a glass of wine, would you like one too?" It's probably flirting
  • If someone you don't know well offers you something in a way that's weirdly out of context-- for instance you say "Oh! You're reading that book! I want to read that book.  How is it?"  If, in response they offer it to you-- totally flirting.  
  • If someone says something strangely boastful that makes you wonder "where did that come from?"  Probably flirting, unless that person is just an arrogant jerk.
  • If someone says something self deprecating in an oddly humorous way: Flirting
  • If someone comments positively on any part of your anatomy-- that's a flirt
  • If a stranger starts talking to you out of the blue and doesn't want you to buy something or take a survey-- very good chance it's flirting.  
  • If someone you know offers you something out of the blue like "Hey, I just got tickets to your favorite band and my mom is having elective open heart surgery that night, so I thought maybe you might want to come since she can't."   That's flirting.
  • If there is a lot of innuendo and double entendres in a one on one discussion probably flirting.  
    • Exception #1: Adolescent males who are just being gross and anyone who responds to all statements with "That's what she said!"
    • Exception #2: Gross adolescent males and "That's what she said!" statements might still be flirting.
  • If you are female and a male asks you more than three questions in a row about you or how you feel about something, he's flirting.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek list aside, flirting happens all the time.  There isn't a switch that necessarily gets flipped where it suddenly becomes this thing that has a life of it's own.  I am personally a shameless flirt.  I'll flirt with the girl checking out my groceries in front of my wife just to make her smile.  My wife, to her great credit, knows that I'm not trying to bang the cashier and that it is in my nature to keep my charm honed at all times.  

That's because there is innocent flirting and flirting with intent for sexy times and though the former can be a gauge to see if it's worth putting effort into the latter, the two can be mutually exclusive.  I mentioned a few posts back about the guy who flirts with our receptionist, right?  Guess what?  I flirt with her too.  

The difference is, he wants a date.  I know he does.  I have zero intention of hooking up.  So why do I flirt and how am I flirting?  This is all part of the social interaction that some people naturally "get", some don't, and some (like me) work very hard at educating themselves on.  

I'm not flirting because I want a peek up her skirt, I flirt to make her feel good about herself and about me.  

There are a couple of factors at play here:  One, when it comes to job security and advancement it has been proven that it is more important to be liked than it is to be exceptional--or even competent-- at your job.  Whether you (or I) like it or not, that's just a fact.  So it behooves me to play the game that other people are playing even if my nature makes me oblivious to it.  Meh... more likely not oblivious, just can't be chapped to care.  

The other reason is that I need things from her from time to time and I don't want her to begrudge giving them to me.  True story: I had to get a contract printed and manually signed one day and I also had to go out of the office.  Our printer wasn't printing for me, so I sent it to her and asked her if she'd troubleshoot the damn thing while I was gone and try to print my contract.  When I came back, she had taken care of everything.  If I hadn't established a relationship with her, asked nicely, and had her in a position where she wanted to help me, she could have either said no, or worse, done it and talked about what a dick I am behind my back, which could undermine me in the office.

So how do I flirt with her?  Like I said, it's innocent stuff.  I ask her how her weekend was.  I remember when she had to go home the day before because her kid was sick, so I ask how he's feeling.  I know she likes wine, so I mention when I've had some.  It's all about establishing a bond.  

I noticed our recruiter had dyed her hair.  "Is your hair darker?" I ask.  When she affirmed what my own eyes could see, I said "I really like it." 

That's flirting people.  it's happening all the time.  Roll with it.  Have fun with it.  Be interested in what someone else is doing.  Just don't make them think it's "sexy time" flirting when it's just "bonding with someone" flirting.   That's rude.

• Like 7

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

BREAK BREAK BREAK

That's flirting people.  it's happening all the time.  Roll with it.  Have fun with it.  Be interested in what someone else is doing.  Just don't make them think it's "sexy time" flirting when it's just "bonding with someone" flirting.   That's rude.

Huh... I do like 99% of that naturally anyways. To me it's being friendly and aware, but I guess I can see how others would see it as flirting. Thank you for breaking it down. *more consciously aware now*

• Like 3

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Pro-tip: never in a job interview ask if they're flirting with you

Who knows?  Maybe you score more than just the job!

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Yea, I've never drawn blood with conventional pulls, but sometimes I do smack my knees with sumo, which is just a good reminder that my knees aren't out enough

It was an old injury, and now not healing, I'll try and keep my pull an inch or 2 away from my legs...

Huh... I do like 99% of that naturally anyways. To me it's being friendly and aware, but I guess I can see how others would see it as flirting. Thank you for breaking it down. *more consciously aware now*

Same here.  I'll just naturally be kind to people.  I don't ever think anything of it.  I guess I don't even notice when I'm flirting!  

Also, I saw this picture a while back and it now seems strangely applicable.  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

So at the gym the other day, there was a lightly loaded bar in the squat rack with a guy standing there.

"Are you squatting?"
"No, but I'm using this."

So I go to the power rack, where there was another lightly loaded barbell.

"I'm using that too."
"Are you squatting in either of them?"
"No."
"Well, could I work in?"
[really annoyed and exasperated look] "I guess."

So I started to unload the plates on the bar in the squat rack and he walked away...to do incline presses.

I watched him for a while.  It turns out that he had commandeered the only squat rack and the only power rack to do a circuit of curls, overhead presses, and incline presses, with really long rest breaks in between each one.    I was actually completely done with my sets by the time he got back to the squat rack!  And he didn't want to let me work in.

Who does he think he is, the Sultan of the Weight Room?

...there's not a lot of cowboys in NJ.

Did you know that we have an actual rodeo in NJ?  (Okay it's south Jersey, but still.) I only discovered this when I was shopping for a pair of cowboy boots.  I'm definitely going to check it out once they re-open for the summer.

• Like 2

My Main Quest:  Bench my Body Weight

My First 6-Week Challenge:  Squidwina - A Week Late and 45 Pounds Short

Started Program - 5-Jan-2015

Main Lifts as of 17-Mar-2015

- Squat: 3 reps at 175 lbs  (200 lb 1RM)

- Deadlift:  3 reps at 185 lbs

- Bench press: 3 reps at 115 lbs

- Overhead press: 3 reps at 75 lbs

^^So how is Alison?

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

Same here.  I'll just naturally be kind to people.  I don't ever think anything of it.  I guess I don't even notice when I'm flirting!  

Also, I saw this picture a while back and it now seems strangely applicable.

Yes that, exactly that. Now I am wondering if somehow my general friendliness had led the guy from work on.

• Like 1

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

There's a TV in the gym at work; generally is set to sports, politics or poker. Today I had the place to myself for a bit and I put on gusto; a food channel (I like watching those kinds of shows). The show was about wedding cakes and I went about my workout. A few guys came in and started to give me playful crap about the TV. But they all went oddly silent as I did my bench presses. I finished my reps and spotted them all watching me haul 2 45 lbs dumbbells for my bench press.

Go ahead and give me crap guys; me and my cake TV are gonna go on with my personal best of a 90 lbs press. I know it's not much compared to you all, but it made me happy.

• Like 6

Go ahead and give me crap guys; me and my cake TV are gonna go on with my personal best of a 90 lbs press. I know it's not much compared to you all, but it made me happy.

I don't do dumbell bench press very often.  I know two 45 pound dumbells are harder to bench press than a 90 pound bar.  There are more directions you have to stabilize and therefore lose energy.  I am not going to sneeze at bench pressing two 45 pound dumbells.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

I had been pressing with a bar for a couple months now, and made some progress going from 135 to 150lbs so I was feeling confident in my press. On Wednesday all the benches were full, and I only had about 20 minutes till I had to head out so I went to using dumbbells. Last time I used them I was on 50lbs, and figured since I had added 15lbs onto my bar bench that I would be fine to up the weight to 2- 55lbs...

Getting into position, in a packed gym, get them up, bring down on the first rep- OH GOD IT'S TOO MUCH! Left side just keeps going down til it rolls off my side. Sit up with the other dumbbell and see a bunch of dudes just shaking their heads at me. 

move back to the 50lbs for the rest of my sets. 

• Like 2

Currently lost in Fitness.

I figured dumbbells were pretty much the same as the bar. ... There's only one bar at the gym but not many people use the heavier dumbbells so i just grab those instead.

Cool to know that the dumbbells add a degree of difficulty

I figured dumbbells were pretty much the same as the bar. ... There's only one bar at the gym but not many people use the heavier dumbbells so i just grab those instead.

Cool to know that the dumbbells add a degree of difficulty

Ya.. I did the same thing hippy did and dropped a dumbell on my shoulder. Now I wait for the bar...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

So at the gym the other day, there was a lightly loaded bar in the squat rack with a guy standing there.

"Are you squatting?"

"No, but I'm using this."

So I go to the power rack, where there was another lightly loaded barbell.

"I'm using that too."

"Are you squatting in either of them?"

"No."

"Well, could I work in?"

[really annoyed and exasperated look] "I guess."

So I started to unload the plates on the bar in the squat rack and he walked away...to do incline presses.

I watched him for a while.  It turns out that he had commandeered the only squat rack and the only power rack to do a circuit of curls, overhead presses, and incline presses, with really long rest breaks in between each one.    I was actually completely done with my sets by the time he got back to the squat rack!  And he didn't want to let me work in.

Who does he think he is, the Sultan of the Weight Room?

Did you know that we have an actual rodeo in NJ?  (Okay it's south Jersey, but still.) I only discovered this when I was shopping for a pair of cowboy boots.  I'm definitely going to check it out once they re-open for the summer.

I think I;d like to be the Sultan of the weight room...or maybe a Sultan of Swing

I think I;d like to be the Sultan of the weight room...or maybe a Sultan of Swing

Sultan of Curls in the Squat Rack?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

I saw an odd sight in the gym yesterday, someone was on a bench preparing to do a total of 100kg. I thought, he sure doesn't look big enough to bench 100kg. As he barely got out a couple of reps his ass was so high in the air he may as well have been doing glute bridges. What's the reason for that in bench press? I get that cheat curls and whatnot make it easier to "lift" heavier weight, but is there any benefit to an ass high in the air?

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

I saw an odd sight in the gym yesterday, someone was on a bench preparing to do a total of 100kg. I thought, he sure doesn't look big enough to bench 100kg. As he barely got out a couple of reps his ass was so high in the air he may as well have been doing glute bridges. What's the reason for that in bench press? I get that cheat curls and whatnot make it easier to "lift" heavier weight, but is there any benefit to an ass high in the air?

Skip (my old coach) would have been screaming something about ENGAGE YOUR ABS AND GET YOUR ASS DOWN

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs