Overheard in the gym - Share!

It depends on the gym really. I've lucked out to a pretty nice one where people leave you alone when working out but will actually chat with you when you're not doing anything. Add to it that the staff is really nice and it's 24-hour, makes it one of the better gyms in my area.

I was out running one day and my roommate ended up pulling beside me blasting "Eye of the Tiger", it was pretty awesome.

HAHAHA, that's awesome! Did it give you some extra motivation?

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

Everyone is going to look at you funny. And you are going to look at everyone funny. Humans are naturally judgmental.

But here's the thing - I see someone doing something crazy and go "that looks interesting" and move on. And I'm sure there are some guys who see me do stuff and think "that girl cray".

For me, the gym is one big exercise of a skill I like to call "Eyes on Your Own Paper". Everyone has weird shit they're gonna do, stuff they'll do with bad form because they're learning, and maybe stuff they're doing that's something you've never seen and will motivate you. Personally, I stalk down any guy doing pull-ups because I have massive pull-up envy. The point is to go "hmm" and then get back to what you are doing. Eyes on your own paper. Or if you prefer, don't be like Luke Skywalker, never focused on where he was, what he was doing.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Mayhaps he is doing rack walk outs? They're useful for training stabilizing muscles and for readying your mind/CNS for the fact that you'll be squatting something this heavy at some point. 

Either way, put 4 wheels on a bar bell and walk out with it. It's not exactly easy. 

I wanted to think so, but it was mostly all of the hyping around it--how his mates were cheering him on and all--that made me disappoint, because it sounded like when someone tries for a 1Rep PR. I don't think it's easy, though, and you're right that I shouldn't have been so critical.

I'm the "seen" guy again.  Decided to do a barbell yoke walk as a finisher... didn't realise just quite how wide that damn bar is and of course when it's super-loaded, you have the manoeuvrability of an Klingon garbage scow.  It all got very, very Britsh: "sorry! excuse me! sorry!" with sweat running all over.  

Lulz.  Yoke walks are fun. :)

• Like 3

I'm the "seen" guy again.  Decided to do a barbell yoke walk as a finisher... didn't realise just quite how wide that damn bar is and of course when it's super-loaded, you have the manoeuvrability of an Klingon garbage scow.  It all got very, very Britsh: "sorry! excuse me! sorry!" with sweat running all over.  

Lulz.  Yoke walks are fun. :)

That's hilarious!!

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

Guest Dirty Deads

Now there is a phrase that could be fun taken out of context...

Like "Eyes on you own, Tiger!" (spoken at the theater bathroom's urinals while you're rushing to get back into the movie Rocky)

Some little brown guy with earbuds on, 130, maybe 135 soaking wet, performing CF WOD "Fran", grunting and dropping the barbell all over the place, and hogging the power rack for all of 6 minutes. After completing the last set of pullups you can hear him singing Alicia Keys' Teenaged Love Affair to himself.

... Wait, I think that was me.

• Like 1

Some little brown guy with earbuds on, 130, maybe 135 soaking wet, performing CF WOD "Fran", grunting and dropping the barbell all over the place, and hogging the power rack for all of 6 minutes. After completing the last set of pullups you can hear him singing Alicia Keys' Teenaged Love Affair to himself.

... Wait, I think that was me.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does CF WOD mean?

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Last week I finally had enough courage to go into the weight room at a not too crowded time, so I figured I'd go at the same time today. Before putting on my work out clothes a sneaked a peak and no one was in the weight room. Which felt perfect :)

After my warming up I went to the squat rack (or at least the thing I belief is a squat rack) for, well, squats. But, walking into the room i see no bar there. There were however giggles. A what looked to be hen party of 15-ish girls commandeered all bars in the room to do the lambada and something resembling a terrible pole dance.

I was flabbergasted and having no clue what to say decided to do squats with dumbells instead. Later a guy did go to them and asked for a bar to which they just replies they were also members so they had every right to use the bars as long as they wanted.

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

And that is when you go to gym management.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Last week I finally had enough courage to go into the weight room at a not too crowded time, so I figured I'd go at the same time today. Before putting on my work out clothes a sneaked a peak and no one was in the weight room. Which felt perfect :)

After my warming up I went to the squat rack (or at least the thing I belief is a squat rack) for, well, squats. But, walking into the room i see no bar there. There were however giggles. A what looked to be hen party of 15-ish girls commandeered all bars in the room to do the lambada and something resembling a terrible pole dance.

I was flabbergasted and having no clue what to say decided to do squats with dumbells instead. Later a guy did go to them and asked for a bar to which they just replies they were also members so they had every right to use the bars as long as they wanted.

Pole dance -> Broken Bars -> angry management.

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

i sure hope that guy just took the bars off the daft bints, luckily at my gym there's 1) minimal daft bints, 2) rock all space to do said pole-dance (gotta admire the balance if they were pole-dancing on a vertical oly bar) and 3) the guy who owned the gym would tell the daft bints to stop being daft bints (in not so nice a way as i'm saying :P), take the bars off them and boot them out

i sure hope that guy just took the bars off the daft bints, luckily at my gym there's 1) minimal daft bints, 2) rock all space to do said pole-dance (gotta admire the balance if they were pole-dancing on a vertical oly bar) and 3) the guy who owned the gym would tell the daft bints to stop being daft bints (in not so nice a way as i'm saying :P), take the bars off them and boot them out

At that time there is no one of the gym present, they only have people around at busier times (which is why its very cheap).

And their pole dance looked more like twerking near and against said pole than trying to hang on it.

I would love to be confident enough to just take one of the bars off them but I already used my beast mode stepping into the room. Maybe ill do do at their next hen party? (Or hopefully they go somewhere else)

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

Pole dancing on an unsecured Oly bar?

Not for long! *falls on the girls*

But srsly... Unless they looked like they'd drop the thing on me, I'd probably have gone over and been like "girls ~! You're doing it wrong!", tossed a few plates on top and gestured for them to keep going, holding it up and trying to twerk (whatever that is - rhetorical statement, I don't want to know) with plates hanging over them.

... preferably rubber plates so they don't get damaged when they fall - the plates don't get damaged, that is. I fear it's too late for the girls already.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - while doing my 10-mile stationary bike ride, after my 4-mile run, I was just zoning out watching the traffic on Bally's track go by. A group of three teenagers came up the steps. They had on pretty much the same outfit - with slight variations in color - contractor-style (carpenter / plumber) overalls, v-neck t-shirt, trucker hat, Timberland work boots. They each carried a 10- or maybe 20-pound dumbell in each hand.

They walked a couple laps around the track, being very carefull not to bump anyone with the iron. Then they started jogging, still with the weights.

I figured that they were just warming up, before lifting, but the kept going. One lap, two laps, three. Then they started doing what runners would describe as intervals, fast laps, then slow.

I couldn't figure out what I was watching.

Then it occurred to me.

These kids were actually TRAINING for the Spring and Summer burglary season!!! Running fast while carrying heavy weight!!!

I wish I'd thought of that 30 years ago.

Well, I admire their foresight and forward thinking. That's more thought and dedication than your average thug.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

I once dated a girl who knew ALL SIX Dances: I dated a girl who knew ALL Six Dances: Ballet, Jazz & Tap; Pole, Couch & Lap

What about line and square?

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk 4

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker