Overheard in the gym - Share!

You can always take your feet off the moving bit and onto the sides, it's not ideal. Good news is summers coming, you can run outside with all the space of a free range chicken.

That's what I do--set the treadmill to sprinting speed, sprint a bit, jump to the rails, sprint a bit, jump to the rails, lather rinse repeat.

I had my first >bodyweight lift on Friday--hip thrusts for 150#.  :triumphant:

• Like 3

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Man, I don't know what was going on today, but nobody in the gym today seemed to get personal space. To start I was waiting for a rack and a line started behind me, no problem, happens all the time, but I was doing bodyweight lunges, I step back to lunge, bring my foot forward again, and as I go to step the other leg back, the guy behind me steps forward to breathe down my neck. Then I was later doing barbell lunges, I was mid set, and some guy steps over my leg to get to the other rack instead of walking around. Them even later I was doing jump rope in the functional zone, and the exact second I stopped to take a sip of water a guy stands immediately behind me to start stretching his triceps.

Granted the gym was crowded, but come on people, quit breathing down people's necks and give people a wide birth when they're using the flipping weights.

/rant

• Like 2

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Tried criss cross jump rope last night, epic fail with a plastic rope that has no weight. I think I need to splurge on a leather one. Doing my warm up last night and my dog just wanted top play, she tried to catch the skipping rope each time it passed in front of me, yeah not helpful!

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

2 very weird things, 1) Bro was deadlifting in the squat rack...........yeah, exactly, he had the bar on the floor in the opening of the rack with his back toward where you rack the bar, doing what I think might have been sumo lifts, not sure, I didn't want to stare as my mouth kept dropping open, 2) Weight plates are going missing, my numbers are all messed up because 1 of the only 2, 5kg weights had gone as well as 1 of the 10kg plates, so had to find what I could to make even weights, how very odd.

Wait! What............?

1) Bro was deadlifting in the squat rack...........yeah, exactly, he had the bar on the floor in the opening of the rack with his back toward where you rack the bar, doing what I think might have been sumo lifts, not sure, I didn't want to stare as my mouth kept dropping open, 

I do that.  :/  My gym has very little open floor space, so using the squat rack is really the only viable place to do deadlifts.   Now, if the gym had enough space to not do them in the rack, well, yea that's kinda odd.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I do that.  :/  My gym has very little open floor space, so using the squat rack is really the only viable place to do deadlifts.   Now, if the gym had enough space to not do them in the rack, well, yea that's kinda odd.  

I too deadlift in the power rack, however, I then move onto pull ups and finish with OHP's but would be happy to work in with other people!

• Like 1

Bless me Nerds, for I have sinned.

I did quarter squats today.

(Admittedly, they were on my programme and were high box squats, but it felt so dirty and wrong!)

What do quarter squats do for you? Are they to get you used to a higher weight? And how high was the box? It seems like it would be super high.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

What do quarter squats do for you? Are they to get you used to a higher weight? And how high was the box? It seems like it would be super high.

It was a joke and I pretty much do what I'm told.

I'm assuming it's at least partially because I have a sticking point in my squat above parallel, although I also suspect I was doing them wrong because they were so stupidly easy.

That and squatting and deadlifting heavy on the same day has sometimes left me kind of burnt out so they're a bit of a break from max effort every Saturday.

I'm sure someone else can give you a better answer, because I honestly don't know why they're in there.

• Like 1

Saw some interesting plate math today, guy was doing squats with this on either side of the bar in this order:

2.5kg

5kg

1.25kg

2.5kg

10kg

1.25kg

As far as I know the order of the plates doesn't really matter, I just find it odd, personally everything has to be in exact order with the highest plates possible before I lift it. None of that 2 15s and a 10 silliness, that's 2 20s.

Saying that, I managed to be a fool today and lift the barbell onto my back when there was 3.75kg more on one side, so who am I to judge.

• Like 1

Heard yesterday:

"CLANG!  That was stupid!"

That was the sound of the top of my head impacting the barbell when I didn't duck low enough to set up for my squats, followed by my self-assessment."

• Like 6

Saying that, I managed to be a fool today and lift the barbell onto my back when there was 3.75kg more on one side, so who am I to judge.

Been there, done that! With 1.25kg difference on squat and 0.5kg difference on the bench. I did try to lift a barbell on my back once that had 5kg more on one side (not my fault that time) but I couldn't and spent some time trying to understand why my leg wasn't functioning. 

Heard yesterday:

"CLANG!  That was stupid!"

That was the sound of the top of my head impacting the barbell when I didn't duck low enough to set up for my squats, followed by my self-assessment."

I've done that even more times but while setting up for bench so it's the back of my head that makes the "CLANG!" sound.

Level "I have no clue" Warrior

Current challenge

Battle log

One *CAN* usually do more weight at a lesser squat depth, so it does potential value as an occasional/situational training technique.

A full range-of-motion alternative that I've seen used before is resistance bands either looped from the top or the bottom of a squat cage.  These have the effect of feeling like more weight at the top of the squat/less at the bottom, which would allow you to use your full range of motion with more resistance, even if you're weaker at the bottom of the squat.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Oh boy were people in the gym pissed today. The harlequins rugby team were scheduled to take the free weights area at 9 but online it mistakenly said 9.30. Luckily I'd gotten to the gym a little earlier than usual and finished at exactly 9, but whilst I was doing bodyweight exercises, HIIT cardio, foam rolling and stretching I had the fortune of listening in on people who'd shown up with a free weights workout planned to end at 9.30 complain quite a bit. I think it's a little dickish of the people running the gym to not try to find any solution to this aside from tell people they can basically go fuck themselves.

• Like 1

Oh boy were people in the gym pissed today. The harlequins rugby team were scheduled to take the free weights area at 9 but online it mistakenly said 9.30. Luckily I'd gotten to the gym a little earlier than usual and finished at exactly 9, but whilst I was doing bodyweight exercises, HIIT cardio, foam rolling and stretching I had the fortune of listening in on people who'd shown up with a free weights workout planned to end at 9.30 complain quite a bit. I think it's a little dickish of the people running the gym to not try to find any solution to this aside from tell people they can basically go fuck themselves.

Dude, sounds like that gym deffo needs a kick up the arse! That sucks!

Yeah, I think because it's a mostly student-occupied gym and it's like a quarter of the price of most gyms they don't seem to give a shit. When I emailed them weeks ago about the harlequins they just ignored it, looking forward to going to a new gym starting July.

• Like 1

I have come a long way since posting in this thread first. Foremost I have found that I actually like curling. I do it once or twice a week at the end of all the "good" stuff, mostly for fun. So I will no longer make fun of curl bros. What I CAN make fun of though is this strange dude that pretends to curl...Don't know how I can describe it, but he holds the barbell in is hands while standing, and then instead of curling the bar he lifts his whole arm for about 20° and then adds a little 10° movement of the lower arm to barely hit 30°...

First I thought maybe he's doing shoulders, but then he did the same thing with dumbells and an ez-curl bar...dumbells he even had the "turn hands inwards whole lifting them"...very weird because his biceps was actually okay looking...

Was the dude actually doing something I don't know about? :D

• Like 2